"Volokolamsk Highway" - T-34 Scripted Campaign

Elliott543

1249347259_VolokolamskHighway.png.0f653ecbcef37b175c6dd776a87f6f6a.png

"Volokolamsk Highway" - T-34 Scripted Campaign

Requirements:

Il-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad + Moscow Map + Tank Crew

Download:

Download Link

Place the "Volokolamsk Highway" folder in your “Campaigns" directory.  

Update 7/20/2021:

• A few minor fixes and improvements – Mission 3 “Reconnaissance in Force” can now be completed simply by reaching Kalikino, making reconnaissance of the other enemy strong-points optional. Removed a few 88 flak cannons at the airfield in Mission 6, as they are pretty destructive. You will need to restart the campaign if you install this update, so be aware if you don’t want to lose your progress.

Update 4/25/2021:

• Soviet tanks have a numbering system.  
  • BOS update 4.601

Update 3/21/2021:

• Russian and German Translations - Campaign and mission descriptions, notifications, and map objects now have translations in Russian and German using Google translate. Other languages are defaulted to English. Requires a restart of campaign.

Update 2/19/2021:

• New Mission - A Swirling Engagement (October 15, 1941) - Torzhok Road pt.2 - Reconnaissance reports from this morning indicate heavy enemy presence in Bryancevo, Malitsa, and the northern outskirts of Kalinin. This information confirms earlier reports that, indeed, the fascists are attempting to move up the Torzhok Road. The 8th Tank Brigade, with our T-34 platoons and Lieutenant Dotsenko’s company of heavy KV-1 tanks, is in the ideal position to move forward with today’s attack. We must strike first, and strike hard. Our assault on Kalinin begins at 16:00.

Update 2/8/2021:

• New Mission - Reconnaissance in Force (October 15, 1941) - Torzhok Road pt.1 - At this time, the German positions west of Kalinin on the road to Torzhok are unknown. After our 250 km forced march, we have reached Mednoe without detecting enemy presence; however, a reconnaissance in force is required to locate the current enemy positions forward of our location. Your mission is to scout the following locations: Kalikino, BryancevoMalitsa, and Kalinin. Look for enemy buildup and try to establish their intentions. If artillery or anti-tank positions are located, attempt to remain undetected, and return to brigade headquarters with the information. We must discover the location of these strong-point positions for our armored assault on Kalinin planned for later today at 16:00 hours.

The Volokolamsk Highway campaign reenacts historical armored engagements leading up to and including the 21st Tank Brigade’s raid on Kalinin. You will begin in the 18th Tank Brigade defending areas around Gzhatsk and Mozhaisk, resisting the German advance toward Kalinin and Moscow. The final mission allows you to take part in the December Soviet counter-offensive at the gates of Moscow, commanding a platoon of T-34's in the 127th Tank Brigade of the 16th Army, pushing west along the Volokolamsk Highway. This campaign is a work-in-progress. Check back here on the forums periodically for updates and new missions. 

My original intention was to make one very long mission, re-creating the 21st Tank Brigade's raid on Kalinin on October 17, 1941. Since the playtime of that test mission was over 3 hours, I decided to break it into two parts, add in a bonus mission, and put it all together as a campaign. The goal was to create a historical reenactment of the tank raid, so if the research says Stukas attacked at a certain point in the raid, they are there in the mission. Regardless, some of the missions are still quite long with long driving distances, but hopefully I’ve added enough combat opportunities so that you hardly notice.

Here's some information in English on the 21st TB's raid with links to Russian pages at the bottom.  According to the research, most of the tanks used in the raid were T-34s with ZiS-4 57mm guns, so using the Tank Crew 1943 version of the T-34 / 76 UTZ is historically inaccurate. Unless we get some Tank Crew playable earlier versions of the T-34, some compromises must be made, such as increasing enemy numbers and strength. Other modifications such as replacing the default houses with destructible houses in villages along the route help with AI vehicles getting stuck.  

Since I'm relatively new to using the IL-2 mission editor, and the fact that some these missions are fairly long (at least one hour each), I’m in need some experienced testers to give feedback to see if I'm on the right track. I do plan to add more missions to this campaign in the near future, focusing on Soviet armored actions in the Moscow area.

1604281358_KalininOriginal.jpg.bf3b40e2911c042461275a7e616367b8.jpg 1705813038_KalininReenactment.thumb.jpg.65d7f8ad9ec0519ab73adeed2b06fb2b.jpg

Historical Background:

Moscow, October - December 1941

Order from Lieutenant General Rokossovsky: “Immediately move to the offensive in the direction of Pushkino, Ivantsevo, Kalinin with the aim of blowing the flank and rear of the enemy to assist our troops in the destruction of the Kalinin troop grouping.”

In mid-October of 1941 the German Wehrmacht captured the city of Kalinin, only 180 kilometers north-west of Moscow, leaving the Soviet capital dangerously exposed to German attack.  The Stavka concluded that Kalinin must be re-taken at any cost and chose the 21st Tank Brigade for this near impossible task.  The decision was made that the assault on German occupied Kalinin would not be supported by any other units or aircraft.  Thus, the 21st Tank Brigade was alone and solely responsible for the successful execution of what was to become one of the most famous tank raids in the history of armored combat.

The 21st Tank Brigade, primarily consisting of T-34’s, was organized into three groups for the raid on Kalinin.  Group 2, commanded by Major Lukin, was to cross into occupied territory near Panigino, then move north along the Volokolamsk Highway towards Kalinin, meeting up with Group 1, commanded by Captain Agibalov, in the vicinity of Pushkino.  Group 3, commanded by Senior Lieutenant Makovsky, would move north along the road from Il’inskoe -Tsvetkovo, meeting up with Group 1 and 2 near the airfield directly south of Kalinin.  Along their routes, all three groups were ordered to cause as much havoc as possible to German vehicles and infrastructure and to primarily focus on the destruction of the Kalinin airfield and train depot.

* campaign is currently 7 missions and available in English, Russian, and German

Screenshots:

Spoiler

138712480_MissionMapKalinin.jpg.a511b5cccd22b761c969e8a0151943bb.jpg

2090745944_01-Gzhatsk.jpg.5de910d024db40573506193b10c4a26b.jpg

548469241_02-MozhaiskLine.jpg.6140c11a2189ad363f390b9d7382942a.jpg

1447025868_01-CheekiBreeki.jpg.5a57e499e1ff9ff447b43710f6bf862e.jpg

23496725_02-Pandemonium.jpg.fba722668aad61ade4ddcd1be2354a80.jpg

635721371_AfterBattle.jpg.6b9d666df97ab2ffafe26ef614769a5a.jpg

Edited by Elliott543
campaign update
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 15
  • Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...
Aliocha62Mordreddesurmia

Thank you very much for sharing this campaign on the Soviet side, for the T34 fans it's a great happiness, I'm very grateful for the time and work you devoted to this campaign. Hopefully there will be more because I find that there are many missions and campaigns on the German side and few on the Soviet side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Thank you.  I agree that there is definitely more tank content for the German side.  The struggle that the Soviet tank crews endured, especially during the early war actions around Moscow, display courage that I believe we can all draw inspiration from during these trying times.  It is certainly a difficult mental process to face death and keep marching on.  

I plan to add missions leading up to the German capture of Kalinin around Rzhev and Staritsa, as well as actions after the 21st TB’s raid on Kalinin near Torzhok.  If all is going well and I can find additional detailed historical records, I will also add more Soviet counter-offensive missions.

Hopefully the long mission format works, and that players can complete the missions successfully.  I can compete them, but I also know where all the enemies are and what to expect.  Please be patient with new missions for this campaign, as my teaching job currently has me tied down.

• Like 3

Again - what the hell does it have to do with the topic at hand, ffs.

...but to prevent your further spam :

1) Google Tiger's ammoracks/weakspots
2) get so close you can see whites in their eyes while being on the side,
3)load APCR to be sure 
4)???
5) profit

Update to the Volokolamsk Highway Campaign

New Mission – Gzhatsk (October 9, 1941) 

The 18th Tank Brigade is ordered with all haste to impede the continued German advance eastward by establishing a blocking position at Budayevo, southeast of Gzhatsk. Reports indicate that Hausser's SS-Regiment Der Führer comprised of infantry and light armor is heading in our direction on the road to Mozhaisk.

Updated mission Pandemonium (Kalinin tank raid pt.2)

The player is now commander of Group 1, which avoids some ai issues.

The order of the campaign has been altered to include the new pre-Kalinin raid mission. Additional missions in the works will include the 18th Tank Brigade’s defense of Mozhaisk on October 11, 1941 and the 8th Tank Brigade’s attack on Kalinin on October 15, 1941.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 2:37 PM, jollyjack said:

I hope to learn to kill Tiger tanks with a T34. Any tips & tricks?

Spoiler

Edited by RIVALDO
  • Upvote 1

New Mission - Mozhaisk Line (October 11, 1941) 

Two regiments of the 2nd SS-Panzer-Division Das Reich and a detachment of the 10th Panzer Division are bearing down on our position. We should not fear this over-ambitious enemy. Instead, we should be courageous and assured, as Comrade General Zhukov has been transferred from Leningrad to assume command of our forces here in front of Moscow. He has already laid our path to victory by ordering a defensive line across which the fascists cannot and will not advance. Mozhaisk will be held by the 5th Army, Rokossovsky’s 16th Army will defend Volokolamsk, and the 43rd Army will guard Maloyaroslavec. Be strong comrades. Polkovnik Sergey Kalihovich’s 19th Tank Brigade has arrived by rail in Mozhaisk and is now moving toward our position as reinforcement. We must hold this point on the Mozhaisk Line with our very lives.

Updated all missions  

effects and debugging

Edited by Elliott543
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
easterling77

Thanks for sharing this great content with us all - much appreciated.

In your search for Information about tank warfare in the eraly years on the eastern front I may can suggest you this book

Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front, 1941–1942: Schwerpunkt by Robert Forczyk

I didn't got hands on it for now but I got his second book about the time 1943-1945 for christmas and this is loaded with information about operations and I guess the first one will go the same way.

I'm looking forward to get the first one in the future.

So far greetings form Germany

Elliott543
Posted (edited)

Optimized and balanced difficulty in all missions

Timing and effects were off after latest Tank Crew update. Balanced difficulty, especially in mission 4.

@easterling77 Researching the battles and attempting to recreate them is what it's all about. Thanks for the kind words. In fact, I have read Forczyk's book Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 41-42 and look forward to reading the second one in his series. For this campaign I also used Radley and Sharp's Defense of Moscow 1941 as well as Drabkin and Sheremet's T-34 in Action.  

Edited by Elliott543
campaign update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

easterling77
4 hours ago, Elliott543 said:

Optimized Mission 2 - Mozhaisk Line

Timing and effects were off after latest Tank Crew update. The rest of the missions will get similar updates this weekend.

@easterling77 Researching the battles and attempting to recreate them is what it's all about. Thanks for the kind words. In fact, I have read Forczyk's book Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 41-42 and look forward to reading the second one in his series. For this campaign I also used Radley and Sharp's Defense of Moscow 1941 as well as Drabkin and Sheremet's T-34 in Action.  

So may I'll take a look at these too👍

• 2 weeks later...
Atlantia39

Hello Elliot...just wanted to drop you a note to let you know I totally enjoyed your Campaign!

Full of action/suspense and plenty of 'Oh $hit' moments.

Have you created any more campaigns/missions?

Again..thank you so much for the content!

Elliott543

Slight changes incoming this weekend to further increase difficulty. 

@BP_Lizard Thanks for playing. Let me know of any suggestions to make the missions better. I am trying to fine tune the difficulty balance. 

@Atlantia39 Thank you. I have not made other campaigns yet, though I have some good ideas for future tank campaigns. I originally planned to also include actions north-west of Kalinin along the Torzhok road in the Volokolamsk Highway campaign, but got side-tracked with my day job. (I'm teach computer science and English) If only I had more time to devote to making campaigns!

While this is my first IL-2 campaign, I have worked on many games in the past, mainly VR games. I enjoy researching history and trying to recreate it in a virtual environment. A couple of years ago my students and I made a VR game based on the Chernobyl nuclear accident called Wormwood, which we won a national contest with, and in the early days of VR I created a time travel game called Project TimeTravel

Edited by Elliott543
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RazorbacksKierONeil

Just discovered this through Wolfpack345 video. Can't wait to play it. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As a squad we have just finished playing this and found it very enjoyable.

I would like to congratulate Elliot on his hard work and clever mission building.

Elliott543

Slight variations to increase difficulty for missions 4, 5, and 6.

Also...

Spoiler

In mission 4, it is now more dangerous sneaking into the German base at Panigino. Distance to convoy matters. Of course, you may choose instead to eliminate the convoy and go in guns blazing for a full frontal assault.

@RazorbacksKierONeil Pretty cool video series by Wolfpack345, for sure! Watching them has helped me with playtesting and adjusting difficulty. 

@DD_Friar Thank you. I'm glad your squad had fun with it. Do you have an after-action report? I'd like to hear how multiplayer went. Maybe we can get the multiplayer version up for public use somehow. 

I would like to add a few custom skins for the Kalinin raid missions, but texturing with .dds files is beyond my skill set. There are several good reference photos, such as this one showing #20 Major Lukin's tank disabled near the village Troyanovo during the raid. Other reference photos here, if anyone with texturing skills want to give it try. 

289398591_LukinTank.jpg.2199edc556c0363ef2ae690b15e991d6.jpg

Edited by Elliott543
  • Like 1

Atlantia39
10 hours ago, Elliott543 said:

Slight variations to increase difficulty for missions 3, 4, and 5.

Also...

Hide contents

In mission 3, it is now more dangerous sneaking into the German base at Panigino. Distance to convoy matters. Of course, you may choose instead to eliminate the convoy and go in guns blazing for a full frontal assault.

@RazorbacksKierONeil Pretty cool video series by Wolfpack345, for sure! Watching them has helped me with playtesting and adjusting difficulty. 

@DD_Friar Thank you. I'm glad your squad had fun with it. Do you have an after-action report? I'd like to hear how multiplayer went. Maybe we can get the multiplayer version up for public use somehow. 

I would like to add a few custom skins for the Kalinin raid missions, but texturing with .dds files is beyond my skill set. There are several good reference photos, such as this one showing #20 Major Lukin's tank disabled near the village Troyanovo during the raid. Other reference photos here, if anyone with texturing skills want to give it try. 

289398591_LukinTank.jpg.2199edc556c0363ef2ae690b15e991d6.jpg

That is awesome!!!  Will certainly update the campaign tonight!  Thanks for your hard work/efforts... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Elliott543

New Mission - Reconnaissance in Force (October 15, 1941) - Torzhok Road part 1

Spineless reports have arrived claiming the Vjazma pocket is devastated. Our comrades held out valiantly, but the tragic end was always inevitable, and we can only hope they escaped with their lives to rejoin the fight. What’s worse, the fascists seized Kalinin yesterday, driving Comrade Telkov’s 5th Rifle Division back across the Gorbatov Bridge to the north bank of the Volga. We have heard that even the courageous citizens of Kalinin took up the fight in defense of the city.

Intelligence suggests German armored units intend to push north-west from Kalinin moving towards Torzhok, threatening the Northwestern Front’s defenses in the direction of Leningrad, not to mention the immediate danger that looms over Moscow. At this time, the German positions west of Kalinin on the road to Torzhok are unknown.

After our 250 km forced march, we have reached Mednoe without detecting enemy presence; however, a reconnaissance in force is required to locate the current enemy positions forward of our location.

Your mission is to scout the following locations: Kalikino, BryancevoMalitsa, and Kalinin. Look for enemy buildup and try to establish their intentions. If artillery or anti-tank positions are located, attempt to remain undetected, and return to brigade headquarters with the information. We must discover the location of these strong-point positions for our armored assault on Kalinin planned for later today at 16:00 hours.

1380125476_RiFMapElliott.thumb.jpg.ba1a2bf37ed203a6a22eb873ae5f1763.jpg

• Thanks 1

jollyjack

I really like that T34, just as the Kv1s .... NICE Campaign !!! Thanks

• Thanks 1

Atlantia39

Hello Elliot543...replaying your campaign. Currently on Mission #3.

EXCELLENT...got my A-- handed to me...really fun and challenging...missions are LOOOOOONG.

Love it!

• Thanks 1

Elliott543

New Mission - A Swirling Engagement (October 15, 1941) - Torzhok Road part 2

Reconnaissance reports from this morning indicate heavy enemy presence in Bryancevo, Malitsa, and the northern outskirts of Kalinin. This information confirms earlier reports that, indeed, the fascists are attempting to move up the Torzhok Road. The 8th Tank Brigade, with our T-34 platoons and Lieutenant Dotsenko’s company of heavy KV-1 tanks, is in the ideal position to move forward with today’s attack. We must strike first, and strike hard. Our assault on Kalinin begins at 16:00.

In order to deceive the fascists, we will split into two groups, attacking from different directions, converging on Malitsa. Once the two groups have joined, both will advance upon the northern edge of Kalinin, moving along the Volga, and attempt to secure the Gorbatov Bridge. Group 1 will consist of two T-34 platoons, while Group 2 will be Dotsenko’s KV-1 company.

You will command platoon “Elk” of Group 1, and it is expected that you arrive at the staging area in Kalikino by 16:00 hours. After the signal of 3 red flares, begin the attack by moving in battle-line north-east, silencing the enemy position at Bryancevo. You will then be clear to swing south in column formation and reform as you close the pincher-maneuver with Group 2. After seizing Malitsa, proceed into the northern outskirts of Kalinin, then onwards along the Volga to take the Gorbatov Bridge. Together we will wrestle Kalinin back from the fascist’s iron grip and welcome her back to the Motherland where she belongs.

1481127429_ASwirlingEngagementMap.png.7224a3a51517b9da1786b2cfea65de5c.png

2070820267_04-ASwirlingEngagement.png.8833099db16c0696fa789ac075925d13.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...
Elliott543
Posted (edited)

Update to Mission 6 - Pandemonium

• AI changes, such as the lead group now waits for the player's group to catch up when lagging behind.
  • Assisting Group 3's attack on the airfield is much more dangerous.
  • Enemy 88 mm Flak 37 can double as tank killer.

184572352_06-Pandemonium.png.13c5d7f0e7a87f0f6fcb02c362ab7bd3.png

817892238_PandemoniumPost1.png.8b285a165ac2eb8b3b26faa2fa011e70.png

1851800849_Pandemonium88mmFlak37.png.32ef86380da03252ee73b4874d3d6816.png

Edited by Elliott543
  • Thanks 2

Elliott543

Translation Update

• Russian and German Translations – Campaign and mission descriptions, notifications, and map objects now have translations in Russian and German using Google translate. Other languages are defaulted to English. Requires a restart of campaign.
  • Poddubki and Staroye Kalikino – Villages added to “Reconnaissance in Force” and “A Swirling Engagement” in preparation for next mission.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

junkman

Great mission I'm about half way through the campaign, played many replay mission to get better at it quite a tough one. 

Atlantia39
On 3/21/2021 at 7:37 PM, Elliott543 said:

Translation Update

• Russian and German Translations – Campaign and mission descriptions, notifications, and map objects now have translations in Russian and German using Google translate. Other languages are defaulted to English. Requires a restart of campaign.
  • Poddubki and Staroye Kalikino – Villages added to “Reconnaissance in Force” and “A Swirling Engagement” in preparation for next mission.

Thank you for the constant improvement and additions to a great mission!

Elliot, do you have a Paypal so I could throw a few $ your way for all your hard work/efforts?

• 5 weeks later...
Elliott543

Numbering System Update

• Soviet tanks have a numbering system. For instance, Major Lukin's T-34 has a painted 20 on the turret, and is designated as number 0 in the platoon order. As was the numbering system used by the 21st Tank Brigade, the 2 in 20 represents 2nd Group. Tank number 21, will call out as Fox 1. 
  • Now working in BOS update 4.601
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
JohnRitterKreuz

Thank you for the cool history lesson.  Really.

Elliott543
Posted (edited)

A few minor fixes and improvements

• Mission 3 “Reconnaissance in Force” can now be completed simply by reaching Kalikino, making reconnaissance of the other enemy strong-points optional.
  • Removed a few 88 flak cannons at the airfield in Mission 6, as they are pretty destructive.
  • You will need to restart the campaign if you install this update, so be aware if you don’t want to lose your progress.

I also would like to thank everyone for the kind words. I've been working hard this summer on a new tank crew campaign, this time from the German perspective. As of now, I have completed 2 missions, one of which clocks in at 2 hours playtime. I’m thinking of releasing what I have so far, then make the others available as they are finished. 

1782749706_SchwerpunktCampaign.png.dd0f1594287b5f74259e6d1bf55691ce.png

Edited by Elliott543
  • Thanks 1

[N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier

I'm stuck in mission #4, I'd need some help with it.

After Successfully capturing Bryancevo on screen text instructs to go south and meet up with the other force. I do that and see 2 groups, T-34s on the road and KV-1, both waiting.

Spoiler

2021_7_25__16_14_26.thumb.jpg.dc475eebbe85cfb1bd35b41bb5c8e781.jpg

I've tried circeling around both groups and firing flares for a few mins, but they seem to be waiting for something.

Spoiler

2021_7_25__16_14_22.thumb.jpg.266ab21c1f095ff6c804429b01d027cc.jpg

Elliott543

They are waiting for you to start the advance towards Malitsa. You will know when you get a message on screen that says "Close the pincher with Group 2 when ready.." Maybe I need to extend the waypoint out a little. Too much traffic on the road and you can't reach that waypoint. When you do start the advance, my suggestion is to use a hull-down position north of the Malitsa. The KV-1's should start their attack at the same time and will do a lot of heavy hitting. Your job is flank.

[N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier

Thanks, I'll turn the waypoints on and look for it

• 3 weeks later...
[N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier

Just finished Volokolamsk Highway and it was great! Thanks for making it!

I have some things to say if you are interested: 

Spoiler

- The beginning of mission 5 Cheeki Breeki where you infiltrate a base following the German convoy was awesome! My favourite part of the campaign!

- There was one AT gun position in mission 5 that shoots the player trough trees near the Rearm point in square 0614.5 this one soured the rest of the mission a bit for me. See photo, the AT shells fly through the trees in the crosshair:

2021_8_2__19_4_31.thumb.jpg.57a2e44b893458d9efc3e1eb94e3b797.jpg

My suggestion is to move the gun positions sideways, so they are spotable.

- Mission 5 and 6 took me over an hour to complete, they are a bit long and I failed my crew at the end of those a few times. Those did overstay their welcome for me, I'd split them into 2 missions each.

- I liked to command a platoon of tanks, ordering wingman tanks around was very nice. Its also great to have the numbering system, so I can see who in my platoon is who

- All missions worked well and were fun to play!

Edited by [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier

• 2 months later...

Very bad. Missions are too long. And with TC specificity, I mean very dumb AI which cannot go around nor a warehouse, nor a single tree, its just uncompletable. In one mission I got 20+ frags solo because squadmates are always late or stuck in buildings/trees. And, eventually, you get wrecked by absolutely outnumbering nazis' forces.
Yes, this campaing looks very bad, but mostly because the devs left TC withoud making proper AI   

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, echo-2 said:

Very bad. Missions are too long. And with TC specificity, I mean very dumb AI which cannot go around nor a warehouse, nor a single tree, its just uncompletable. In one mission I got 20+ frags solo because squadmates are always late or stuck in buildings/trees. And, eventually, you get wrecked by absolutely outnumbering nazis' forces.
Yes, this campaing looks very bad, but mostly because the devs left TC withoud making proper AI   

Salutations,

Your negative review is in the minority. Some like the longer missions. Others report completing the campaign. So your claim that it can't be completed is, most likely, more of a commentary upon your lack of player ability.

Although, I do agree, much improvement should be presented for the AI route finding programming. :coffee:

• Haha 2