Utopioneer

Flight School Campaigns

I decided to start creating tutorial campaigns for new players. There's been some debate on whether or not this is necessary, but there seems to be enough demand that it was worth the effort. These are a basic set of missions for brand new players to progress through, with some instruction on how to complete the objectives, and key bindings required. Any issues that players find please point them out here and I'll address. If you have any recommendations for improving this I would love to hear them.

434871236_Annotation2020-02-16094912.png.09d6a971ab1b9c1a4e7755bbe6489b74.png311677643_Annotation2020-02-16094839.png.a7c30479a4cb237a02d2b04660edc324.png695578879_Annotation2020-02-16094856.thumb.png.d7254e73bf453b8514459c0b68797931.png

v1.2

Planes Supported (Click to download, more to come!):

Battle of Stalingrad:

Bf 109 F-4

Bf 109 G-2

LaGG-3 ser. 29

Yak-1 Series 69

Battle of Moscow:

I-16 Type 24

Bf 109 F-2

Battle of Kuban:

Bf 109 G-4

Battle of Bodenplatte:

Fw 190 A-8

P-51D

Missions:

1 - Basic flight through waypoints

2 - Take-off

3 - Landing

4 - Shoot down a bomber

5 - Dogfight

6 - Ground Attack

7 - Taxi

To install, unzip the folder into the data\Campaigns folder of your IL-2 installation. If you want to play individual missions instead of a linked campaign, you can unzip into data\Missions

Translators (Thank you!):

Serdalf (French)

6FG_Big_Al (German)

=gRiJ=Roman- (Spanish)

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of this sim, but by no means am I an expert on these planes. The information in these campaigns is not meant to be exhaustive, and if something appears incorrect based on other sources let me know and I will revise. I don't want to give anybody bad information, but it may take some time for these campaigns to be complete.

Edited by Utopioneer
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 9
  • Upvote 8

20 hours ago, Utopioneer said:

20200210184040_1.jpg.217563930d255d2de81e3956af8491d1.jpg

I decided to start creating some tutorial campaigns for new players. There's been some debate on whether or not this is necessary, but there seems to be enough demand that it was worth the effort. These are a basic set of missions for brand new players to progress through, with some instruction on how to complete the objectives, and key bindings required. I started with the Bf109 G-2 but I will probably expand to other planes. Any issues that players find please point them out here and I'll address. If you have any recommendations for improving this I would love to hear them.

I'll consider this v1, it includes:

Mission 1 - Basic flight through waypoints

Mission 2 - Take-off

Mission 3 - Landing

Mission 4 - Shoot down a bomber

Mission 5 - Dogfight

Mission 6 - Taxi

Bf 109 G-2 Training.zip 3.9 MB · 17 downloads

Thank you I will give it ago

Darn i don't have the G2 :(

Edited by Abdelhak22

If possible with some Russian planes: Yack, I16 ... Thank you .. Very good idea!

Just now, Serdalf said:

If possible with some Russian planes: Yack, I16 ... Thank you .. Very good idea!

Thank you, yes I want to get to Russian planes as well, probably the LaGG-3 next as I want to start with the most basic planes from the original set and then expand from there.

• Like 1

@Utopioneer great idea!!!

Could you tell me where should I install your folder? I really have no idea, but I want to try your work cause can be a great start for new pilot of the group..

And also a Russian one (or bomber version) focused on complex engine menagment (or aiming bombs) could be really a great idea..

Thanks again

Hello Airone,

You can paste the dezipped folder in the /missions folder, like this :

<hard drive>:\IL-2BOS\data\Missions\BF 109 G-2 Training.

Utopioneer : I checked the 2 first missions, they are great, thanks a lot !

Edited by Yogi
typo
  • Thanks 2

Thanks everybody for the words of encouragement. I updated files to v1.1 with the following changes:

• Added G-4 and LaGG-3 29 planes
  • Modified dogfight mission to make it easier to engage
  • Added a ground attack mission
  • Various mission description updates
  • Changed names to "Flight School" instead of training

Just so everybody knows my plans, I developed these missions as generic templates so I can quickly propagate changes and generate campaigns for many planes. This means I can very quickly generate the missions themselves for new planes, but I need to manually create the graphics and instruction text. I'll work on this whenever I have time, but if you want to see specific planes next feel free to suggest them. Bombers and non-Fighter planes won't be until later, as I'll need to create new template missions for them.

Thanks!

Edited by Utopioneer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Super!! What games does one need to own to participate? I could sure use a lesson or three.

43 minutes ago, Knarley-Bob said:

Super!! What games does one need to own to participate? I could sure use a lesson or three.

Right now I have planes for BoS and BoK, but if you only own BoBp maybe I'll do the P-51 or P-47 next.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Utopioneer said:

Right now I have planes for BoS and BoK, but if you only own BoBp maybe I'll do the P-51 or P-47 next.

That would be great. Right now I'd be considered a German ace....problem is I'm not flying German planes🙄

Great stuff. Been thru the Bf 109 G2  Flight / Take Off / Landing tutorials with great results. Really suck at the dogfight however. (As I try to maneuver into an upper position of power, I  keep getting caught in tail spins downward. Which is a pretty intense experience in VR with a motion platform.)

If possible, PLEASE make a series with the Bf 109 F4 that most of use noobs start with. Its the perfect plane for beginner tutorials.

Edited by Blasterlasvideo

1 hour ago, Blasterlasvideo said:

VR with a motion platform

...can I try?...

I sent you a link to a draft F-4 campaign.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Utopioneer said:

...can I try?...

Sure, come on over  ;)  

Thank you for the F4 file!!!!

BTW, does your name Utopioneer mean you live in Utah? If so we are neighbors. I live in Las Vegas.  :)

7 minutes ago, Blasterlasvideo said:

Sure, come on over  ;)  

Thank you for the F4 file!!!!

BTW, does your name Utopioneer mean you live in Utah? If so we are neighbors. I live in Las Vegas.  :)

Nope, it's actually a portmanteau of "utopia" and "pioneer".

5 minutes ago, Utopioneer said:

Nope, it's actually a portmanteau of "utopia" and "pioneer".

I see. Too bad, since living that close would have made your vr and motion platform ride more of a possibility. It is quite amazing. :)

Edited by Blasterlasvideo

1 hour ago, Utopioneer said:

...can I try?...

I flew all but the taxi lesson in the F4 beta you sent me  and they all seem fine to me. The one thats going to really help my flight skills is the air to air combat lesson.There are so many different things that can be practiced in that scenario.

For BOM

The Mig-3 and the 109 E-7 would be a good choice. 

Yes the 109 F4 would be a better choice. Really, either the G2 or G4 would have been fine. 

Another choice would be a G6, basically it flies differently than the G14 and the former three a/c mentioned above. However, it is CP, so unless a new pilot jumps in with both feet, they most likely won't have it. 

I do not fly the Yak, but I am sure one on one of them would be great as well. 

Uploaded a Bf 109 F-4 Campaign. Sorry for the 109 parade but they're easy to iterate off each other and I got specific requests for these planes. 

• Thanks 1

In the folder of training missions .. there is only the file in .ENG .. are there the possibility of having a file in .FRA also?
I have the game in French so I have no visibility of the text ...
I tried to open it with the editor ... but without result
Is there a possibility?
Thank you ..

29 minutes ago, Serdalf said:

In the folder of training missions .. there is only the file in .ENG .. are there the possibility of having a file in .FRA also?
I have the game in French so I have no visibility of the text ...
I tried to open it with the editor ... but without result
Is there a possibility?
Thank you ..

If you simply rename all the .ENG files to .FRA I believe they will display properly, but in English. What I don't have the ability to do is create french language versions. Once these get fleshed out and finalized I may look for volunteers though 😉

• Upvote 1

I could translate the text from English to French .. it will be enough to have the file in. FRA..even if it has nothing in it. Just copy / paste the .ENG file into the FRA folder and translate with GOOGLE Traduction or similar and be careful to remove the spaces between> and the text .. and c is all good !!
I will already try to save the .ENG file as .FRA ?? Thank you 😀

Well done! I have my file in .FRA and translated into French..and it's all good in the game .. I will continue for the other missions and do it also for the info file .ENG
If this interests some beginners or confirmed ... I can provide them to you ....😀

• Upvote 1

Ok .. I will continue the missions of the LAGG-3 and when I have finished I will send them to you. After I will do the other training ..
Not in a hurry ..? I would do the translation between two flights ...🙂 and then I have the layout in the file.

4 minutes ago, Serdalf said:

Ok .. I will continue the missions of the LAGG-3 and when I have finished I will send them to you. After I will do the other training ..
Not in a hurry ..? I would do the translation between two flights ...🙂 and then I have the layout in the file.

If it takes a lot of time you can definitely wait, I've been making small revisions to everything here and there.

16 hours ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

I volunteer for the Spanish Version 🤪

If you can send me the texts via PM, I can start right away.

But I need the texts in  a format that I can easily changed, copy and paste.

I don't understand the .Eng (can this files be open with text editor?).

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-

A great idea of yours that I would like to support, if I may. I could translate your English texts into German. Similar to Roman, a "simple format" like a PDF (or similar) would be great.

best regards Rico

• Upvote 1