Flight School Campaigns (English, German, French, Italian, Spanish)

Utopioneer

IMO, this should be added to the regular game download as new flyers may not know how to create these kind of missions in QM. 

Dev's?

• Upvote 5

Updated all existing campaigns

• New campaign description covering the basics of flight sims. Covers key concepts needed to understand how to fly these planes.
  • Added missing mission images (mostly formation missions) and updated basic flight mission images to pictures of the cockpit
    • In the future the cockpit images may have gauge callouts
  • Updated and reformatted engine specs in mission descriptions
  • Added trim keybindings for each plane
  • Various reformatting for easier readability
Edited by Utopioneer
  • Thanks 4

• Jason_Williams pinned this topic

For information, one of those (or both) corrupt the Scripted Campaign menu:

Fokker D.VII Flight School

RAF S.E.5a Flight School

When they are put in the data/Campaigns folder, there is an HTML text in white rendered on top of the selectable Campaigns in the mentioned menu.

I haven't tried to see where the problem is coming from, just reporting it :)

(I'm using v4.004)

Edited by Redglyph

1 hour ago, Redglyph said:

For information, one of those (or both) corrupt the Scripted Campaign menu:

Fokker D.VII Flight School

RAF S.E.5a Flight School

When they are put in the data/Campaigns folder, there is an HTML text in white rendered on top of the selectable Campaigns in the mentioned menu.

I haven't tried to see where the problem is coming from, just reporting it :)

(I'm using v4.004)

I confirm this. Same corruption here, but for me it must come from some other Flight School data as I haven't installed Fokker D.VII or RAF S.E.5a.

These are the ones I've installed:

image.png.a7f33cbdd95c1887dbff1c222975ee00.png

Edited by Nadelbaum

I found what the problem was.

In "Fokker D.VII Flight School", the file info.locale=eng.txt contains

&name="Welcome to Flight School! This scripted campaign will take you through a series of tutorial missions for this aircraft. By the time you've completed all [...]

Instead, it should have

&name="Fokker D.VII Flight School"

&description="Welcome to Flight School! This scripted campaign will take you through a series of tutorial missions for this aircraft. By the time you've completed all [...]

Note also that the description wasn't meant for this airplane (there are no flaps, no turbocharger and so on), so obviously this file was corrupted and misplaced at some point. The files in the other languages don't have this name/description mix, but their description seem to be related to another airplane too.

The other campaign "RAF S.E.5a Flight School" doesn't seem to have this problem.

Thanks for pointing that out guys, the files are updated and fixed. The Fokker D. VII and Bf 109 G-6 had that mistake in them.

@BiggusDickusRedownload reinstall if you haven't played through a plane yet. If you have, the only major change here would be engine limit specs (which can be found on the spec page in most cases anyway) and the plane specific trim key bindings.

@RedglyphThe campaign description is not meant to be plane specific at this point, but rather an overview of flight and airplane systems in general. Maybe a better idea to create a different description for Flying Circus, as it's a different era of flight and plane types. I may update.

Edited by Utopioneer

Thank you so much for putting these together! I have only been playing IL2 for a couple of weeks and these are tremendously helpful. What do you have in mind for the B110 or ground attack version? Would love to see a bomber version as well. As someone else mentioned, do you have a patreon, paypal or something so I can shoot you some $?

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2020 at 2:12 AM, crew27 said:

Thank you so much for putting these together! I have only been playing IL2 for a couple of weeks and these are tremendously helpful. What do you have in mind for the B110 or ground attack version? Would love to see a bomber version as well. As someone else mentioned, do you have a patreon, paypal or something so I can shoot you some $?

Thank you I'm glad these have been helpful. I haven't had much time lately to expand, but ideally I would like to hit the types of missions that a player would encounter in the single player career mode. I will probably make a bomber template after ground attack, but it may take me a little longer to create.

I don't have a patreon/paypal and I'm not sure that would be ok under the terms of the game. For now I'm happy to create something useful to give back to the community.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• Bf 110 E-2 Added
  • Bf 110 G-2 Added
    • Dogfight removed for these, armored ground target practice added.
  • Thanks 3

Well... I downloaded them all...Really all, even if early BF109 versions behave more or less similarly. In any case, it helps me improve my skills and level up the realism settings I use in my SP careers. Thanks. Great help for the 262 and the La-5; just taking off with those planes was a pain before... The Hs129 is also quite tricky. Hope it's coming soon !!

Although there are many excellent tutorials on Youtube, those missions are fresh reminders readily accessible once you have launched the game. Kudos. Really appreciated. 

Edited by Beurling
  • Thanks 2

J5_HellCat_

Is there a plan to do the rest of the FC aircraft ? I see a lot of new people coming over and this would really help them out... Thanks for doing this !

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J5_HellCat_ said:

Is there a plan to do the rest of the FC aircraft ? I see a lot of new people coming over and this would really help them out... Thanks for doing this !

I will definitely get to the rest of FC. I placed them lower in the priorities because when I had download stats they were by far the least downloaded 🙁

Are there specific FC aircraft that J5 would find most useful? I can start there.

• Like 2

J5_HellCat_

Not for J5 per se but for newbies to the ww1 side I guess the next two would be DVa and the Spad Then the DR1/Camel.....

Hello thanks you  work, but for information the PDF file relating to the French translation on the ME 262 does not appear and cannot be read

• Confused 1

I think I forgot the translation of the landing part of this plane ...! I corrected .. we have to wait for it to correct it .. Sorry !!

If you see errors or omissions .. bring up the information .... it can happen!😀

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, erebus465 said:

Hello thanks you  work, but for information the PDF file relating to the French translation on the ME 262 does not appear and cannot be read

Hi I'm sorry if I misunderstand, but there are no PDF files included. The instructions will show up as a mission description before starting the flight.

Serdalf maintains the French translations (merci!), and I will update his translations this weekend.

• Thanks 1

Dear Utopioneer,

Thank you for this effort. I've been testing with IL-2 BOS for the last few weeks. Although I've made progress, it has not been an easy ride and there is a lot to work on.

I look forward to receving my TrackIR which I should receive forwardly and will then enrol myself in the flight school :)

Thanks again

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zike80 said:

Dear Utopioneer,

Thank you for this effort. I've been testing with IL-2 BOS for the last few weeks. Although I've made progress, it has not been an easy ride and there is a lot to work on.

I look forward to receving my TrackIR which I should receive forwardly and will then enrol myself in the flight school :)

Thanks again

New players are who I want to help the most, glad this has been helpful to you! Let me know if you think there's anywhere this could be improved

• Thanks 2

=gRiJ=Roman-

Dear Community,

I need someone to give me a hand with the Spanish translations, or even taking over. I have too much on my plate right now .... that I prefer not to say.

Basically, the basic info is all translated so now it would be copy a paste from one cell into another and make small minor changes depending on the characteristics of every single plane.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2020 at 2:07 AM, Utopioneer said:

New players are who I want to help the most, glad this has been helpful to you! Let me know if you think there's anywhere this could be improved

Hello Utopioneer,

I'm almost done with the Yakk flight training even though my TrackIR has not arrived (it's currently making a tour of the French post depots).

An excellent effort by your side. Well paced missions that don't can ease a new player into the game.

Sorry if this question is off-topic, but do can you advice if there is a thread or resource for helping with Key Mapping of the HOTAS? Ideally I would like not to use the keyboard at all. I went through the forum but couldn't find any clues. I am using a Saitek X-52 pro.

Many thank and have a great weekend ahead.

Here is Siggles "Ultimate Everything" over at Mission 4 Today which includes setup guides for Battle of Stalingrad/Great Battles. 

There is a how-to setup for the X-52 Pro.  I have used this for my X-52 (non Pro) and it works well.  Includes a keyboard map for those things that might not fit onto the HOTAS.

LINK:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads4&file=details&id=35

I hope you find this helpful.

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, zike80 said:

Sorry if this question is off-topic, but do can you advice if there is a thread or resource for helping with Key Mapping of the HOTAS? Ideally I would like not to use the keyboard at all. I went through the forum but couldn't find any clues. I am using a Saitek X-52 pro.

Key binding is most certainly a big challenge for new players. I chose to simply point out the plane specific controls required to be be bound and left the hardware/key binding up to the player, as there are so many various joysticks and hardware combinations out there.

As Beebop pointed out, there are many guides and profiles for specific joysticks, and his suggested guide looks like a great place to start.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beebop said:

Here is Siggles "Ultimate Everything" over at Mission 4 Today which includes setup guides for Battle of Stalingrad/Great Battles. 

There is a how-to setup for the X-52 Pro.  I have used this for my X-52 (non Pro) and it works well.  Includes a keyboard map for those things that might not fit onto the HOTAS.

LINK:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads4&file=details&id=35

I hope you find this helpful.

Thanks!

The namesake of the series has been added.

• IL-2 AM-38 (model 1941)
  • IL-2 AM-38 (model 1942)
  • IL-2 AM-38 (model 1943)

Also, Requiem has been kind enough to provide a spot on his new discord server dedicated to these campaigns. If you want to discuss or have questions you can @ me there in addition to this thread.

Requiem's Discord Server

• Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Utopioneer said:

The namesake of the series has been added.

• IL-2 AM-38 (model 1941)
  • IL-2 AM-38 (model 1942)
  • IL-2 AM-38 (model 1943)

Also, Requiem has been kind enough to provide a spot on his new discord server dedicated to these campaigns. If you want to discuss or have questions you can @ me there in addition to this thread.

Requiem's Discord Server

Thank you!  The very plane that got me interested in the franchise over 19 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Utopioneer, 

Well done.  I could have used these missions years ago when I first started with IL-2.  Now after all these years I feel your work is still relevant as even an "old dog" can  learn  new tricks.

Thanks Again, 

Falcon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Utopioneer

Two new planes in the game, two new planes for Flight School!

• Yak-9 Series 1
  • Yak-9T Series 1
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

JBDarkanubis

just to say these are fantastic help and thanks for putting in the great work to help beginners like me out . only thing ive noticed is the info locate=eng are not English , ger is german and fra is French . im a bit of a thico sp might get this wrong.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Utopioneer
3 hours ago, JBDarkanubis said:

just to say these are fantastic help and thanks for putting in the great work to help beginners like me out . only thing ive noticed is the info locate=eng are not English , ger is german and fra is French . im a bit of a thico sp might get this wrong.

Thanks for the kind words! Can you let me know which campaigns don't have english in the locale files? Is it possible you downloaded the Italian pack? Those should be the only where the English has has been replaced, as there's no Italian localization of the game.

Edited by Utopioneer
  • Upvote 1

Utopioneer
21 hours ago, jlan5031jlan5031 said:

Your series is phenomenal. Thank you.  Hs129B2?

Thank you! Progress has been slower lately, and Ju-87 will be next, but I can do Hs 129 after that.

• Like 2

chris_uk_83

Utopioneer,

This is an amazing effort, and, while I have not yet installed these missions, it's the very next thing I'm doing tonight. I bought IL-2 two days ago, and am absolutely loving totally sucking at it! I can't believe that flight school was missing from the core game and the Devs should seriously think about including your work in their full releases.

The fact that somebody saw something was missing, created it and helped out hundreds of new players has given me a really good feeling about what to expect from the IL-2 community.

Again, thank you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

chris_uk_83

I'm having a little trouble with the training missions.

Installing it was no problem, and I can easily get into the first mission: flying waypoints. The problem is that there aren't any waypoints, they just don't show up. I tried it initially in VR, wondered if that was the problem, so switched to screen, and still no waypoints. I tried it in easy mode and realistic mode to see whether they were hidden in realistic mode, nope.

I can see the blue line on the map, and can follow that pretty well, but I assume there's some altitude and accuracy requirement, as I got to the end of the blue line and the mission did not allow me to complete it. I'm a bit stuck on the training without being able to see the waypoints as I can't progress without completing it (unless I save them as individual missions).

I should mention that I've tried the Tempest mkV and the Spitfire mkIX files, I only have BoBP.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I've now fixed the problem, but will leave the answer here in case anybody else comes across it. The issue was that I had "Instrument Panel" in "basic options" switched off, for extra realism. Apparently, this also removes any map markers, and target ID indicators.

Edited by chris_uk_83