DCS

carve_gybe

LuseKofte
On 3/22/2021 at 2:49 PM, Archie said:

Yep, that's my plan. In fact I hardly ever shoot or bomb anything in DCS, just love the flying aspect.

I like the flying aspect in DCS better than in 2020 and GB. 

For those thinking I am saying DCS is more realistic than others. I am not, I say I like it better. 

I wish that feel could be transfered to fs 2020, in my point of view it is not. 

If Mossie keep the same standard as P 47 and I 16 . I am a happy man

I have already purchased the Raven One Campaign for the Hornet, but I think I maybe am still a little too early in the process for me to try tackling this one.

Hopefully won't be too much longer, it is one sexy looking campaign.

CanadaOne
6 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

I like the flying aspect in DCS better than in 2020 and GB. 

For those thinking I am saying DCS is more realistic than others. I am not, I say I like it better. 

I wish that feel could be transfered to fs 2020, in my point of view it is not. 

If Mossie keep the same standard as P 47 and I 16 . I am a happy man

I can understand that. DCS certainly has boatloads more variety than any other flightsim at the moment, and it looks pretty damn good while doing it.

I'm a bit on the fence for the Hind because I like the autopilot action with the Ka-50 much more than the conventional choppers, but I'll drop the cash on the  Mosquito just as fast as Steam can register my key strokes. The only question is how much they will charge. The P-47 was $77Cdn. (tax in). 

Tyberan

Wait they made a Raven one campaign for DCS, thats awesome.  Big fan of the books, also is that Jello from the Fighter Pilot Podcast? I need to check this out

DBFlyguy
19 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I can understand that. DCS certainly has boatloads more variety than any other flightsim at the moment, and it looks pretty damn good while doing it.

I'm a bit on the fence for the Hind because I like the autopilot action with the Ka-50 much more than the conventional choppers, but I'll drop the cash on the  Mosquito just as fast as Steam can register my key strokes. The only question is how much they will charge. The P-47 was $77Cdn. (tax in). 

The more I think about it especially lately with some of the hangups I'm seeing with Great Battles and DCS, the more I've realized its just not really fair to compare DCS (Eagle Dynamics) and IL2 Great Battles (1C/777).  The only thing they have in common is they both depict WWII aircraft in one aspect or another.  The companies themselves (ED and 1C/777) aren't comparable.  Just the amount of money, time/effort and staff Eagle Dynamics puts into just marketing DCS alone probably dwarfs the entirety of the budget at 1C/777 for Great Battles.  Eagle Dynamics is more inline with somewhere in between Gajin Entertainment and Bohemia Interactive while Microsoft/Asobo is writing their own rule book with FS2020, they are light years ahead of anyone else by name recognition alone and this will only grow once it finally hits Xbox.  All of them have their strengths and weaknesses and enjoyable in their own ways but comparing them doesn't really make much sense, they are vastly different.

CanadaOne
1 hour ago, DBFlyguy said:

The more I think about it especially lately with some of the hangups I'm seeing with Great Battles and DCS, the more I've realized its just not really fair to compare DCS (Eagle Dynamics) and IL2 Great Battles (1C/777).  The only thing they have in common is they both depict WWII aircraft in one aspect or another.  The companies themselves (ED and 1C/777) aren't comparable.  Just the amount of money, time/effort and staff Eagle Dynamics puts into just marketing DCS alone probably dwarfs the entirety of the budget at 1C/777 for Great Battles.  Eagle Dynamics is more inline with somewhere in between Gajin Entertainment and Bohemia Interactive while Microsoft/Asobo is writing their own rule book with FS2020, they are light years ahead of anyone else by name recognition alone and this will only grow once it finally hits Xbox.  All of them have their strengths and weaknesses and enjoyable in their own ways but comparing them doesn't really make much sense, they are vastly different.

That's why we should all own both. :drinks:

As Luse mentioned, he found the "flying aspect" (sense of flight?) better in DCS. I think that's fair. Others will disagree and find the sense of flight better in IL2 or FS2020. But Luse is, as we all are, allowed to prefer one over the other. I find the WWII A2A action much better in Il2. More fluid, more FPS, and the immersive atmospherics are first rate. For ground pounding, DCS takes it by a country mile. There are also "philosophical" differences between the sims; DCS is more "do what you want" and IL2 is more "do as we have offered". Some enjoy the former and some enjoy the latter.

I don't think comparing them is unreasonable, as long as we don't misrepresent what each is.

Edited by CanadaOne
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

unlikely_spider

Personally, I shy away from comparing flight sims to each other. But I will jump head first into a comparison between a flight sim and image editing software. For example, DCS has much better and immersive single-player campaigns than Adobe Photoshop. But when it comes to non-destructive editing using adjustment layers, most people can agree that Photoshop puts DCS to shame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

CanadaOne
2 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Personally, I shy away from comparing flight sims to each other. But I will jump head first into a comparison between a flight sim and image editing software. For example, DCS has much better and immersive single-player campaigns than Adobe Photoshop. But when it comes to non-destructive editing using adjustment layers, most people can agree that Photoshop puts DCS to shame.

The adjustment layers were totally nerfed in the last update. I'm surprised you didn't notice. Now they're barely non-destructive at all. 

On the plus side... new super mouse arrived today! :dance:

1591042250_02020_06_02_user20_mouse-logi

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

DCS and IL-2 GB are both wonderful for what they do and I love both and fully support both through my purchases and use of their products.

IL-2 get all my WWII sim time, DCS for the jets now. I don't really even view them as competitors.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, dburne said:

DCS and IL-2 GB are both wonderful for what they do and I love both and fully support both through my purchases and use of their products.

IL-2 get all my WWII sim time, DCS for the jets now. I don't really even view them as competitors.

My views exactly.

IL-2 GB is the best WWII air combat sim for me. DCS is for jets and helicopters and operating the systems.

One thing that I like about DCS is that the world looks more alive, with civilian cars, buses, trains, boats etc taking care of the daily business. IL-2 world is empty in that sense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robli said:

My views exactly.

IL-2 GB is the best WWII air combat sim for me. DCS is for jets and helicopters and operating the systems.

One thing that I like about DCS is that the world looks more alive, with civilian cars, buses, trains, boats etc taking care of the daily business. IL-2 world is empty in that sense.

It is a bit of a rush sitting on the Super Carrier in the Hornet waiting my turn  watching all the crew working whilst other jets are taking off.

When my number is called I am like oh crap I better hurry up and taxi to my assigned catapult or I am going to get some evil looks LOL.

And even then I taxi to just short of the blast deflector as a jet is about to take off right in front of me.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

CanadaOne
1 hour ago, Robli said:

My views exactly.

The DCS maps are much more alive, that's for sure. I still find it odd that the IL2 QMB maps are so dead. Dead cities, dead airfields, a whole lot of... not a lot at all. It's a shame. 

DBFlyguy

Yeah IL-2 GB maps could use a LOT more life.... some livestock, birds, civilian road, sea and rail traffic!

Gambit21
3 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

The adjustment layers were totally nerfed in the last update. I'm surprised you didn't notice. Now they're barely non-destructive at all. 

Send me a PM after you've used it for a bit...I'll need a new mouse soon.

DBFlyguy

Wags just dropped the ATFLIR info vid:

CanadaOne
13 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Send me a PM after you've used it for a bit...I'll need a new mouse soon.

I'll send you one sooner than that! :cool:

LuseKofte
10 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Iwas not comparing, I was just expressing my opinion on my preference when it comes to just flying around. For other things I like other sims better

10 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I see you’ve let your inner teenager run riot with your wallet :)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

CanadaOne
2 hours ago, Hoots said:

I see you’ve let your inner teenager run riot with your wallet :)

But... I needed it. :blush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LuseKofte
7 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

But... I needed it. :blush:

You are smart, clever and young  

I am old stupid and unable to learn by earlier mistakes.

I really needed this

And where the heck shall I put it? 

And what the heck shall I do with 3 throttles

monitor_controller-7-1024x544.png

20210302_001026.jpg

• Haha 2

CanadaOne
2 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

You are smart, clever and young  

Compared to who? :huh:

I am old stupid and unable to learn by earlier mistakes.

I resemble that remark.

I really needed this

And where the heck shall I put it? 

And what the heck shall I do with 3 throttles

Give them names and let them roam about the house, and see if they come when called.

• Haha 1

DD_fruitbat

Clouds (well 2.7) put back a week untill april 7th.

• Sad 1

CanadaOne
3 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

#%*@&*#! :angry:

Where did you see that?

Why am I not surprised...

• Like 1

ZachariasX

Which year?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

I wonder if I should revert to Open Beta...

That is all I run.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Wags's demo video from yesterday brought up multiple ATFLIR-related bug reports from viewers, so I guess they are trying to fix these before releasing 2.7.

Bremspropeller
10 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Yes. You'll get all the emotional rollercoster of new features, new fixes and an order of magnitude greater number of new bugs.

It's truly priceless 🤪

12 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Definitely.

I haven't touched or even upgraded my stable install for months. It is still on my hard drive only because I have free space there and had had no need to remove it.

Edited by Robli
  • Thanks 1

unlikely_spider
36 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

#%*@&*#! :angry:

Where did you see that?

It was inevitable - the release date was in grave danger of falling within two weeks, so they had to hurry and remedy that.

• Haha 2

Sounds like they apparently need to do some more bug squashing on the new ATFLIR targeting pod for the Hornet.

Oh mannnnnn. Another thing I'll buy that will hardly ever get used!
Always been my favourite heli.

Edited by Archie

DBFlyguy

They definitely make some catchy cool videos! I'm sure its gonna sale well for those inclined to jump on that early access hype train again.... I'll maybe throw some cash their way in 1-2 years time when its 50% off and a finished product.

7 minutes ago, nirvi said:

Hind preorder now available

Pretty tempting!  Appears to be a very lethal machine.