I'm flying with rift s, i7 6700k 4.5ghz, rtx2070s and 16gb ddr4 2400mhz ram.

Stutters are frequent when decent amount of AI around and over cities while fps is stable and good (when stuttering).

So i'm thinking to upgrade to 32gb 3200mhz ddr4 c15/16 ram.

Will i see any performance boost?

Use an external program, like Afterburner for example, to see if RAM usage ever reaches its full capacity.

I guess it shouldn't, thus upgrading to 32 would not help. 

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

You won't see an improvement by adding extra RAM.  You need to overclock your CPU and your RAM to remove the stutters.  What is your CPU cooling?

Edited by ICDP
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, ICDP said:

You won't see an improvement by adding extra RAM.  You need to overclock your CPU and your RAM to remove the stutters.  What is your CPU cooling?

H7 air cooler....on 4.5ghz on 1.30vcore it goes up to 70-80°C

So maybe water cooler would help more?

I was thinking to upgrade on faster RAM...

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

Posted (edited)

2400 DDR4 should overlock to 2666 - 2800, or even 3000 at 1.35v - 1.4v.  DDR4 is rated to run at 1.35v - 1.4v.  If you RAM does not have heat-sinks then try reaching for 2666 at 1.3v to see how hot it gets.  HWINFO (google it) will tell you your RAM temperature as long as your motherboard has the slots monitored.

https://www.howtogeek.com/439140/how-to-overclock-your-computers-ram/

Edited by ICDP
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ICDP said:

2400 DDR4 should overlock to 2666 - 2800, or even 3000 at 1.35v - 1.4v.  DDR4 is rated to run at 1.35v - 1.4v.  If you RAM does not have heat-sinks then try reaching for 2666 at 1.3v to see how hot it gets.  HWINFO (google it) will tell you your RAM temperature as long as your motherboard has the slots monitored.

https://www.howtogeek.com/439140/how-to-overclock-your-computers-ram/

Yeah they have heat sinks...i'll give it a shot!

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

The i7 6700K is not going to improve much with faster RAM but if you are successful in overclocking it will help.  A mid range AIO water cooler could help get you to 4.7 -  4.8GHz and that with the faster RAM should help with stutters.

My last Intel before going Ryzen was a 6700K with a Corsair H110 I bought used and it reached 4.8GHz at ~75c at 1.35v when gaming.

Edited by ICDP

13 minutes ago, ICDP said:

The i7 6700K is not going to improve much with faster RAM but if you are successful in overclocking it will help.  A mid range AIO water cooler could help get you to 4.7 -  4.8GHz and that with the faster RAM should help with stutters.

My last Intel before going Ryzen was a 6700K with a Corsair H110 I bought used and it reached 4.8GHz at ~70-75c when gaming.

For now i'll try oc ram, maybe in a few months i'll go with new cpu i7 9700k and mobo....that's why i was thinking to upgrade ram as it will benefit/reuse on future upgrade.

But i have more important things to spend money right now if i won't see noticable improvemnet with new RAM.

Ah i also forgot to lower pixel density in tray tool....now it's 1.8 so that could help maybe.

My other hobby (mtb) says thanks :)

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

For now i'll try oc ram, maybe in a few months i'll go with new cpu i7 9700k and mobo....that's why i was thinking to upgrade ram as it will benefit/reuse on future upgrade.

But i have more important things to spend money right now if i won't see noticable improvemnet with new RAM.

Ah i also forgot to lower pixel density in tray tool....now it's 1.8 so that could help maybe.

My other hobby (mtb) says thanks :)

Yeah 1.8 is pretty high. I don't run that high even on my rig.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah 1.8 is pretty high. I don't run that high even on my rig.

I'll go with 1.5, should be enough!

44 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

I'll go with 1.5, should be enough!

That is still fairly high for your rig with Rift S - you really should not need that much, you should be able to go down to 1.2-1.3 and still have

very good image quality at better performance.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

I'm flying with rift s, i7 6700k 4.5ghz, rtx2070s and 16gb ddr4 2400mhz ram.

Stutters are frequent when decent amount of AI around and over cities while fps is stable and good (when stuttering).

So i'm thinking to upgrade to 32gb 3200mhz ddr4 c15/16 ram.

Will i see any performance boost?

Can you explain what you mean by stutters? Use Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) to enable Performance HUD, set it to "Application Render Timings". This will show you with a live graph in-game what's happening to your FPS, and whether it's the CPU or the GPU causing the problem.

With your rig, you might be happier forcing half-refresh rate using OTT. Set ASW Mode to "Force On". This will force 40 FPS on your Rift S but use doubling to give you 80 through the headset. You might perceive this as smoother than when the headset toggles between true 80 FPS and the 40 FPS interpolated mode.

Edit: With a 2070 Super you should be at pixel density 1.3 or lower, I'd say. You don't get any benefit from going higher. I'm currently running my 2080 at 1.2 pixel density with zero in-game AA.

Edited by Alonzo
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dburne said:

That is still fairly high for your rig with Rift S - you really should not need that much, you should be able to go down to 1.2-1.3 and still have

very good image quality at better performance.

I'll mess around with it once i get back home from business trip, will try 1.2 and rising it up to 1.5 tests as well oc my ram.

7 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Can you explain what you mean by stutters? Use Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) to enable Performance HUD, set it to "Application Render Timings". This will show you with a live graph in-game what's happening to your FPS, and whether it's the CPU or the GPU causing the problem.

With your rig, you might be happier forcing half-refresh rate using OTT. Set ASW Mode to "Force On". This will force 40 FPS on your Rift S but use doubling to give you 80 through the headset. You might perceive this as smoother than when the headset toggles between true 80 FPS and the 40 FPS interpolated mode.

Edit: With a 2070 Super you should be at pixel density 1.3 or lower, I'd say. You don't get any benefit from going higher. I'm currently running my 2080 at 1.2 pixel density with zero in-game AA.

AWS is ON in OTT, what i find weird is i get stutters in populated combat area but fps count stays 50-79 when thise stutters occur.

Also i usually test it on Kuban map low between mountains and when in turn i get stutters also but when i press ctrl+3 those stutters disappear.

Now i'm gfx greedy bastard and play on 1.5/1.8 pd with ingame x2 AA and medium/high settings.

So far i messed only with ingame settings but this time i'll go and test all to find sweet spot.

Big thanks to all of you guys😘!

Another question!

I own BoS as a base game through Steam but i also have Open Composite as it removes SteamVR from usage.

I switched back to steamVR since Open composite dont have option to set PD and it didn't come on my mind i can use OTT with it.

So can i use Open composite and OTT together and will OTT PD setting be valid running through Open composite?

I would try this on my own but i'm off home till friday!

Thanks!

1 minute ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Another question!

I own BoS as a base game through Steam but i also have Open Composite as it removes SteamVR from usage.

I switched back to steamVR since Open composite dont have option to set PD and it didn't come on my mind i can use OTT with it.

So can i use Open composite and OTT together and will OTT PD setting be valid running through Open composite?

I would try this on my own but i'm off home till friday!

Thanks!

You betcha, works on my end.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dburne said:

You betcha, works on my end.

Great...bye bye steamVR!

I'm really lazy person but have great tolerance so i played with crappy performance whole this time.

Same was in dcs, i played on terrible looking gfx, after a year i give it a proper attantion and set it up right...now gfx are beautiful with good performance.

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

Yeah for me at least, running IL-2 with Open Composite was significant improvement in performance over Steam VR.

Still wishing 1CGS would add native Oculus support though.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

AWS is ON in OTT, what i find weird is i get stutters in populated combat area but fps count stays 50-79 when thise stutters occur.

Also i usually test it on Kuban map low between mountains and when in turn i get stutters also but when i press ctrl+3 those stutters disappear.

I probably wasn't clear. Try "Force 45 FPS" in OTT, this will change ASW mode from "available" (driver guesses when not enough performance available for 80 FPS and uses 40 FPS ASW sometimes) to "forced on" which means the driver only tries to run at 40. OTT option is labeled 45 for historical reasons, but that's the setting you want.

Now i'm gfx greedy bastard and play on 1.5/1.8 pd with ingame x2 AA and medium/high settings.

So far i messed only with ingame settings but this time i'll go and test all to find sweet spot.

I don't think you'll see any benefit from going above 1.3 or 1.4 pixel density at the absolute most. 1.3 pixel density on the Rift S is about the same number of pixels as you'd be pushing on an HP Reverb!

Eye candy mode for me is OpenComposite, 1.3 pixel density, 2x or 4x in-game AA, High overall settings, High shadows, Ultra/Extreme clouds, HDR on, SSAO on, Bloom off (manual edit for config file), Sharpen On, Landscape Filter Sharp.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

I probably wasn't clear. Try "Force 45 FPS" in OTT, this will change ASW mode from "available" (driver guesses when not enough performance available for 80 FPS and uses 40 FPS ASW sometimes) to "forced on" which means the driver only tries to run at 40. OTT option is labeled 45 for historical reasons, but that's the setting you want.

I don't think you'll see any benefit from going above 1.3 or 1.4 pixel density at the absolute most. 1.3 pixel density on the Rift S is about the same number of pixels as you'd be pushing on an HP Reverb!

Eye candy mode for me is OpenComposite, 1.3 pixel density, 2x or 4x in-game AA, High overall settings, High shadows, Ultra/Extreme clouds, HDR on, SSAO on, Bloom off (manual edit for config file), Sharpen On, Landscape Filter Sharp.

Thanks for clarifying that first part, was not aware of it.

Will try those settings for sure, i usually turn off shadows.

@Alonzo @dburne thanks for the tips it works very well now and recent patch helped a lot regarding stutters.

Also today i ordered (becouse i can😊) new ram (32Gb ddr4 3200mhz c15/16) and noctua nh d15 aircooler so i'll be able to OC my i7 6700k even higher (i had poor cryorig h7).

Those parts i can use if i later upgrade my pc but for now i think this will work just fine.

Thanks again guys and salute o7

5 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

@Alonzo @dburne thanks for the tips it works very well now and recent patch helped a lot regarding stutters.

Also today i ordered (becouse i can😊) new ram (32Gb ddr4 3200mhz c15/16) and noctua nh d15 aircooler so i'll be able to OC my i7 6700k even higher (i had poor cryorig h7).

Those parts i can use if i later upgrade my pc but for now i think this will work just fine.

Thanks again guys and salute o7

:good:

You are most welcome - enjoy!

• Like 1

This is a helpful thread for me because I have almost the same exact PC specs:

i7 6700k @4.6ghz and 16GB DDR4 at 2400mhz, with a GTX1080.

I’m also considering getting some faster ram. @EAF_Ribbon- Let us know how much improvement you see once you get your new ram up and running. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2020 at 8:31 PM, Rangerjoe03 said:

I’m also considering getting some faster ram. @EAF_Ribbon- Let us know how much improvement you see once you get your new ram up and running. Thanks!

There is some small improvement/stutter reducing on Bobp map with 8xHe111 but nothing wow, best seen is when i zoom the map there is no more loading/stutter.

I wouldnt say it's worth upgrade if you don't plan to upgrade rest of the pc soon.

What helped me the most is getting D15 cooler so i OCed cpu a bit more together with new ram and tips from guys above i do have smooth gameplay now and fps count is stable at 79fps mostly all the time.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:31 PM, Rangerjoe03 said:

UPDATE!

Apparently i/mobo didn't set up new ram to work on it's stock speeds so i had to manualy set it up.

Before it was 2133mhz and i set it up now on 3200mhz.

Test;

-me in a spit9 vs. 8xhe111 on 2133mhz ram speed i had stutters

-again spit9 vs. 8xhe111 on 3200mhz (1600mhz per channel)almost no stutters

For me difference is huge but i'm amateur in Overclocking and such speeds so maybe something else was factor.

I was also messing with cpu vcore so maybe that helped in stability i don't know.

I was having stability problems with xmp profiles do i did set up new RAM settings by my self.....now works fine!

My advice is if you can borrow ram somewhere and test it by yourself!

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

Update!

I still have stability issues on 3200mhz ram speeds....not shown in stability test by aida64 but during the gameplay my pc freezes after few hours.

Seems my cpu cant handle high ram speeds so i dumped down ram speed to 2666mhz....so far it's running good.

@Rangerjoe03 it all depends on sillicon lottery with ypur cpu and also if ypur mobo supports high ram speeds.

In general i wouldn't suggest buying new ram unless you plan to upgrade ypur cpu and mobo in not so far future.

Also you can check your bios settings to ensure what ram speeds it is using as default (it should be 2133mhz) so you can select xmp profile and manually select dram freq of 2400mhz.

Dram voltage isn't neccessary to mess with since xmp should do that for you.

Thank you for the info! I just updated my ram speed from 2400 to 2633 MHz in the BIOS and it seems to be doing fine. I think I’m just going to leave at that for awhile. Every little bit helps!

• Upvote 1