Jason_Williams

Discussion of the Battle of Normandy Announcement

1 hour ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Wow, anyone want some really strong cheese with their whine?

The team - after repeatedly over-delivering on their previous work - has planned:

- The only -234 likely to be produced anywhere

- The only Mosquito likely to actually appear (I’ll believe DCS when I see it)

- The only Griffon Spit we are likely to see anywhere

- The only Tiffie we are likely to see anywhere

No sim - ever - has recreated Schweinfurt. Ever. No sim engine has been created that can model even a bombardment group with any degree of fidelity, accuracy or the kind of detail most people want.

JHFC, people. Get your shizzle together. You know a better sim, go there. If you don’t, try to be constructive.

It’s not perfect. We all want additional things, but man- alive the sheer childish whining on this is scarcely credible. Am sure for $500 a copy we could get Battle of Berlin, but I guess most people would ask for it but then fail to cough-up.

I think youre being a little harsh on everyone. I dont know maybe this thread got ridiculously bad in the last 12 hours but otherwise it was about normal.  People have a right to not be all positive about everything, and this is a discussion forum.  The volume of people talking may actually prove useful to 1C because it gives them ideas of how popular ideas are and where the community wants to go.

I dont remember B17 The Mighty Eighth from around 2000 specifically doing Schweinfurt; but it gave B17 crew and flying and mission planning etc a serious try. I wish Id appreciated it more at the time. Thats all hope youre well

3 minutes ago, Venturi said:

The problem with the PTO is that the Japanese aircraft have nearly non-existent sources and details.

I for one am happy to support the IL-2 GB team in their role of creating more WW2 aviation simulation.

Hmm, i'm sure Jason wouldn't announce PTO two years ago without any data on those ac and without preparation, as i'm aware mostly problem was in translation of those documents.

Btw some amount of assumtions on their FM and such is acceptable imo, if it's accurate in general i'm fine with it.

Just now, EAF_Ribbon said:

Hmm, i'm sure Jason wouldn't announce PTO two years ago without any data on those ac and without preparation

And yet, here we are...

11 minutes ago, Venturi said:

The problem with the PTO is that the Japanese aircraft have nearly non-existent sources and details. 

At home I do have some drawing plans myself (historical, I think). I'll try to find them and bring some help to the thread that deals with the "Pacific Theater Discussion and Assistance" topic.

Have fun.

Edited by 343KKT_Kintaro
Wrong sentence in the quotation
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sublime said:

I dont remember B17 The Mighty Eighth from around 2000 specifically doing Schweinfurt; but it gave B17 crew and flying and mission planning etc a serious try. I wish Id appreciated it more at the time. Thats all hope youre well

Not me either, it's a while ago :-). This article mentions it, though:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/b-17-flying-fortress-preview/1100-2636300/

2 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

And yet, here we are...

That's why clarification from Jason would be welcome as he said he'll do when BoN was announced.

So we can expect it or forget it!

Just now, EAF_Ribbon said:

That's why clarification from Jason would be welcome as he said he'll do when BoN was announced.

So we can expect it or forget it!

Which he said he was planning to do.

I played all three games in the 1990s and early 2000s (Yeager's, Secret Weapons, and Mighty 8th) and I do remember Schweinfurt in "Yeager's" (in that game, that was my favourite mission at the time). Thus, it was easy to find a related video on YouTube...

About the Pacific: no worries, we'll get it soon or late.

I saw someone streaming it a few months ago.id forgotten all about it.  I got it around the time I was 16.  Where EAW etc had been my life at 14... I suddenly got a gf that did more than hold hands and discovered the ganj.  So that game didnt get much action (but I did!! No? Ok Ill get my hat and leave..)

Seeing it streaming I realized it had much more depth than I realized with squadron cmdrs mode.

I also miss how game companies used to try to make the menus immersive. It sucked sometimes but you see it done right in B17.  The mission room has the route tape.  Intel report can be read.  Theres recon footage of the target sometimes which generally is grainy, and sometimes has flak bursts visible.  Atmosphere is really good.

I admit the game was a little clunky for example in its fighter mode.  They reached too far with that.

7 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

Purchased BoN and the 3 collector planes. Now go and use my $125 on making the best flight sim better! :) Great plane set looking forward to flying all of these.

Same here:good:.

C'est un grand projet pour la suite de l'aventure IL-2. 

Dans l' espoir de voir un opus sur la guerre du Pacifique une jours  😉

No news on the rest of the other projects "Flying Circus"  and "Tank Crew"  ?

Edited by Pollux
  • Upvote 1

To Sublime: "B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th" was an excellent simulator for the time (released in 2000). But I never mastered the controls and I quickly gave up.

"They reached too far".

Yeah… same as CoD I guess...

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Thank you Trog1odyte for pointing that out.

RedKestrel, stop, I said I was joking. Rather than insulting people you should learn to read.

There's 19 pages of comments full of whiners and somehow you think the jab about whining is directed at you.

1 minute ago, Megalax said:

There's 19 pages of comments full of whiners and somehow you think the jab about whining is directed at you.

Simply read the messages in the order in which they arrive…

59 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

At home I do have some drawing plans myself (historical, I think). I'll try to find them and bring some help to the thread that deals with the "Pacific Theater Discussion and Assistance" topic.

Have fun.

None of that helps with flight modelling, though.

Even if this game is called Battle of Normandy, it will actually offer gameplay possibilities over the Channel starting from 1941/1942. We have the German planes from BoM and BoS; we will get Hurricane Mk.II, we have Spitfire VB, Spitfire IX, A-20. We will get (hopefully flyable later on) B-26 and B-25, probably not exactly correct variants, but still. 

Also, just a one step away from Battle of Britain. I guess the inability to handle large bomber formations does not make the game very suitable for BoB, though.

Edited by II./JG77_Kemp

3 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

The team - after repeatedly over-delivering on their previous work - has planned:

No sim - ever - has recreated Schweinfurt. Ever. No sim engine has been created that can model even a bombardment group with any degree of fidelity, accuracy or the kind of detail most people want.

JHFC, people. Get your shizzle together. You know a better sim, go there. If you don’t, try to be constructive.

It’s not perfect. We all want additional things, but man- alive the sheer childish whining on this is scarcely credible. Am sure for $500 a copy we could get Battle of Berlin, but I guess most people would ask for it but then fail to cough-up.

What he said...............

17 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

No, it helps with ship modelling...

Which, to my knowledge, isn’t what’s preventing the team from moving on to the PTO. As I recall, the main roadblock is a lack of flight model data.

3 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Ironically, this is harsher than anything else I have read. 

Some people need to calm down about criticism on both sides. It was just announced. Some ar overjoyed others less so; give both sides their moment to express their feelings. Outside, I am never buying another game again, there have not been any harsh statements made (and I wouldn't call that harsh, just severe disappointment and shock). 

------

On another point, I am not sure how they can create a D-Day scenario without allied transport planes for the paratroopers. Perhaps this has been pointed out. 

3 minutes ago, IV./JG51-Lanze_vonHaltung said:

On another point, I am not sure how they can create a D-Day scenario without allied transport planes for the paratroopers. Perhaps this has been pointed out. 

The C-47 is a transport plane.

• Thanks 1

I very much look forward to BON, and I am still holding out .001% hope that on Dec. 7 we will get an announcement about a B-17, followed by another surprise.

Jason, there is still time to make this the plan all along ;)

I think it’s possible considering FC, TC and BOB were all announced and accomplished simultaneously.

I am blown away by the whining.  The objective is to develop a world war 2 simulation that focuses on combat air craft.  We started with Stalingrad.  Who here thought we would be here in 2019 with this product?  Each time I purchase an expansion or aircraft, I am supporting the developers to do more expansions or aircraft (or theatres and tanks).  So they didn't get my favourite plane or theater.  Big deal!  I can fly all these cool planes in another theater because, you know, these guys are making it and giving me early access as it develops.  Oh truly woe is me!

• Upvote 8

Wow, great work with this guys, I'm looking forward to the collector planes and the Battle of Normandy. Been reading a lot of the comments...I mean one of the ones that has stuck out was the fact that the Allies lack a fast 2 engined medium bomber...I mean we don't reaaallly know what version of the Mosquito we are getting... who knows we could get the B Mk XVI or even Mk XX that could carry the 4000 Ib cookie, you never know with these devs as they creatively add multiple variants to one plane (the Fw 190s are a great example of this) 

4 minutes ago, Southernbear said:

I mean we don't reaaallly know what version of the Mosquito we are getting... who knows we could get the B Mk XVI or even Mk XX that could carry the 4000 Ib cookie, 

The announcement says we’re getting the Mosquito F.B. Mk.VI.

24 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

The announcement says we’re getting the Mosquito F.B. Mk.VI.

How big are the differences between the types? Is it significant performance/3d model difference or is it mostly in load-out?

TBH, Jason, some of the disappointment seems to stem from comments that you had made in as far as the development of PTO. The enthusiasm for the potential was build up and never suppressed despite, apparently, not really being part of the equation. Personally, it would be best to make a definitive statement in regards to its status whether good or bad and if that status changes, then make the announcement. Just to reiterate, I have not necessarily read any of your comments only the statements made by people in regards to them, so i I honestly do not know. However, the impression left is that PTO is something that "will" be a reality. My apologies if my comments seems harsh against you. I am only sharing my impression of the situation. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Everyone knock off the arguing. Some people aren't too crazy about Normandy, that's fine. As I said in the beginning keep it super civil please.

I'll address all these dev issue comments later after my Thanksgiving. Time to take a couple days off. Sales of Normandy are strong by our standards so all is OK and I'll never give up hope that I can make a Pacific product until the day I leave this company. But as of now, it's not possible. Sometimes you set a goal and you think you can will it into existence through pure moxie, enthusiasm and creativity, but then the universe says, hold my beer. Not making the Pacific is small potatoes to other trauma and drama I've had to deal with in my life and probably same goes for all of you too. Let's keep things in perspective and enjoy what we have.  

Jason

Hope everything is well in your life and if not then I hope it gets better. I know we as players tend to forget that the Devs are people with normal lives and problems just like the rest of us, we always seem to be so concerned about ourselves only and what we want that we don't consider the well being of yall. It must be tough being a Dev and facing all sorts of criticisms despite trying to please others as much as possible. Yall made a great choice with Normandy and I hope yall can meet any goals that you may have for Il2.

Have a happy thanksgiving, yall deserve it.

1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

Omg. I just realized Amiens prison is likely to be on the map!  

Not when we've finished with it, it won't. ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, SYN_Luftwaffles said:

Please trade the 109 and 190 for a Do217 or something. Sooooooo many 109s already. 

People who start with just BoN aren’t going to have all those other 109s and 190s.

It's also a question of development difficulty. A G-6 Late is more feasible in that respect than an entirely new aircraft that is larger and possibly quite obscure.

Plus, there has been no shortage of people agitating for additional G-6 modifications.

Personally, I don't think that there can ever be too many 109 variants.

• Upvote 3