Jason_Williams

Discussion of the Battle of Normandy Announcement

8 minutes ago, Venturi said:

agree that the Ju 87 would have been better than a slightly different Me109g-6 variant , as the Germans desperately need better bomber aircraft when competing with A-20s, Mosquitos, and Pe-2s. 

Every new BoX needs to stand alone as it’s own game for new players too, so I think that including the 109 was essential to give those players the same sort of variety in fighters.

That is true.

PS , all the B-26, B-25 AI ... besides being important bombers over Normandy, well, they were also mainstay bombers in the pacific... ;)

...also, I forgot about that Spit XIV...

9 hours ago, AKA_Big10 said:

Really see no need for the Ar-234, would much rather have a flyable C-47.

Explain how a transport aircraft is “more useful” than a combat aircraft in IL2 MP. About the only time I see it ever get used is in TAW lol

I look forward to flying over Normandy and English Channel. :) Thanks for another awesome news!

Edited by dhillr

Great. I love this addition but unlike the previous ones I will NOT be buying in early and getting a $10 discount. I will wait a few years and get it in a sale.

I really think the pre-release discount is insulting compared with what comes later. Think about it. You are buying early access to nothing much and a long wait for a lot more money than late adopters who wait for a sale.  Battle of Moscow today :  From 79.99 to $ 19.99.  $50 discount.  Same goes for the Hurricane etc. Wait a year and get them for $5 instead of $20.

My gripe? It should be the other way around. People who buy in now and support the development should get 50% off in return for their support and patience. I bought Bodenplatte - Premium Edition almost when it first became available and waited over many many months for the content to drip into the game. You can rest assured it will be 50% off at least in a sale sometime next year which is a slap in the face to everyone who bought it early.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JG7_X-Man said:

For all you "Mossie" lovers out there - here is some news that may come as a surprise to you. Don't hate me, I just the messenger... ;)

Not to worrie mate, it won't happen in online servers as no one allowes the 262 to be used 😉

• Like 1

Just now, ZenBird said:

Great. I love this addition but unlike the previous ones I will NOT be buying in early and getting a $10 discount.

Just do as most would probably do - get it "early" when at least a number of the planes are available already. Usually PWCG puts them on other maps before the official ones get released, not to mention other " Plane Y over X Map" mods and MP. 

I think I'm kind of like you on this, since money today is worth more than money tomorrow, but you're also missing the collector plane discount. And besides, it's so early into the cycle you could probably put some tranches in savings towards the inevitable trickle of content down the line. I didn't get BoBP until well over a couple planes came out, and I still got the Collector Planes in. 

It's a hell of a lot better deal than, *ahem*, it's other competitors. But don't let me sell it to you just on that, it's your money of course. Just laying out the value there is, and how this series fares a lot better in giving it than others. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, =KG76=flyus747 said:

Explain how a transport aircraft is “more useful” than a combat aircraft in IL2 MP. About the only time I see it ever get used is in TAW lol

Some people enjoy the missions in MP

41 minutes ago, Venturi said:

That is true.

PS , all the B-26, B-25 AI ... besides being important bombers over Normandy, well, they were also mainstay bombers in the pacific... ;)

...also, I forgot about that Spit XIV...

I think the B-26 was pulled from the Pacific pretty early in the war as was the B-17. Not sure of the reasoning in the B-26's case. 

Edited by Rjel

Bought TC earlier  today and now Normandy shows up. looking forward to expanding the planeset. Keeping my fingers crossed the Typhoon gets done first as it’s dearly missed in Bodenplatte. Interested in your PTO explanation. Personally I wouldn’t  mind if we got a 1942 ETO and a Blitzkrieg, May 1940, and BoB campaign before moving to the Pacific.

As far as pre-ordering. I never preorder after having burnt my fingers a couple of times with software that promised much but came up short or never delivered at all. The IIl2 series is the exception to this rule. The game’s already here so I’m just buying more aircraft and maps. The moment the first aircraft I’m interested in (Typhoon😬)shows up my wallet opens. Did the same thing with the Kuban and Bodenplatte. I spend $600 on a Rift CV1, $2500 on a PC, $900 on a Hotas/rudder setup. $4000 (!) All specifically to play this game properly in VR. DCS was a bonus, 99% of my game time budget is allotted for Il2. I’m not going to bite of my nose to spite my face over $89. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m jonesing for the Pacific and MTO also but not going to boycott Normandy over it. Like I wrote earlier, I’d wait for Western Europe to be fleshed out if that’s what it takes. Not sure what the hold up on the Pacific is but they must have a good reason. The entire US flight WW2 combat sim community wants it and Jason knows this. At this point it’s probably (my personal hunch) a resources issue. By supporting easier to research theaters first, that won’t take too many resources, the chance of us getting a PTO or MTO in the end are greater. If it doesn’t happen in the end it would be a bummer but I’d accept that. Short of me releasing my own sim Jason’s our best shot at getting our WW2 VR combat sim fix. 

Edited by BigC208
  • Upvote 1

After thinking about it and talking to my squad mates, I have decided to pre-order BoN and the collector planes. The collector planes I'm all in for them, not so much for BoN as I was really expecting a change of pace and going to the Pacific. Normandy is good, but it is more of the same. Sure it will add the possibility of recreating a wide variety of combat scenarios and every plane has something special in it even being just iterations and I also understand the decisions from the financial point of view as they will be able to reuse many of the assets and some planes. The planes are interesting to me, I love to have different versions and variants but not as much as the ones we would have gotten for the Pacific.

I decided to buy this in order to support them in the task of improving the core game, the Air Marshall, Engine, etc. but please also focus in Multiplayer because from this thread I see that I am not alone when asking for improvements in this front. We need optimisation, better netcode, the mentioned MP lobby, integrated radio, fix the LOD problems of cities and objectives, stuttering, make the pilot head behave like a head and not like a pivotal camera, etc.

So here it goes my money to support you devs but I think that the main task you have while developing Normandy is to improve the core experience. I love your game, please do not let it grow old.

Edited by III/JG52_Al-Azraq
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

This is definitely a buy for me and I will do shortly to support the Devs but can someone, who is more in the know than me, tell me if the Mossie FB VI has a stick or a yoke? It is one of my faves but I think I have seen both? I think the FB is stick though? I only ask because I was contemplating buying a yoke, but I will fly the Mossie a lot so if it is stick, I might save my money!!

Thanks in advance!

Great line up of aircraft and a map with loads of possibilities.

For a niche market with all the limitations that entails, you have to admire how effectively they target resource for maximum effect.

1C are killing it;-) 

10 minutes ago, Badders46_VR said:

This is definitely a buy for me and I will do shortly to support the Devs but can someone, who is more in the know than me, tell me if the Mossie FB VI has a stick or a yoke? It is one of my faves but I think I have seen both? I think the FB is stick though? I only ask because I was contemplating buying a yoke, but I will fly the Mossie a lot so if it is stick, I might save my money!!

Thanks in advance!

mossie has a stick. feels almost like a wide spitfire cockpit. speaking of which - that griffon powered spitfire Mk. XIV is gonna be delicious. I can't wait

Edited by Hallex

8 minutes ago, Badders46_VR said:

Thanks in advance!

NZ2336, DH.98 Mosquito FB.VI, Mapua, New Zealand 30/10/2007

Uhhhh... Rather sad for not getting carrier ops and the Pacific :(

The plane set is nice, but can we please change one letter? B26 to A26? That dream would make it an instant buy, for now I will wait a bit with the purchase.

So here it is, Battle of Normandy.

Can't really say I'm surprised at all, it was an obvious choice. Most of the aircraft are already in the game to some degree, I imagine most of the labour will go into creating the map.

As opposed to PTO, most of hard work and research has already been done in preparation for Bodenplatte. I imagine we won't even have to wait that long for the actual release. 

I'm quite happy with it, I love PTO but I'm not really that hyped for it in flight sims, it would be near damn impossible to recreate it properly, and ETO is piss easy in comparison.

The only thing that freaks me out is the Arado, it's a late '44 aircraft (with miniscule production numbers), where the rest of the aircraft are '43 and around. I think some better choices could've been made in that regard, e.g Do-217, Ju-188, Bf-110 G-4 (night fighter variant) or some other wacky stuff that Germany developed. But I guess novelty of the Arado will sell well so I can't really blame the guys.

Fantastic!
This map can be used for BoB scenarios as well.

I’ll ask Santa for a flyable C-47...

I would absolutely love to drop paratroopers on the eve of D-Day!

I’m off to the shop!

Cool, some real cool planes!

What version of the MK VXIV are we getting?

C?

E?

Every *single* plane/helicopter I bought for DCS World (got them all except a few) costed me the same as 1 IL-2 theathre and map.

So BoN is in fact dirt cheap ... compared to DCS  (as we all know).

BoN is indeed the obvious -technical and commercial- choice for so many reasons and in fact ... I expected this (and hoped for it to happen).

BoN is "more of the same", but the IL-2 Russian/European Air War theatre would be unfinished without it.

Italy is still missing, but we will get North Africa from TF. 

Looking forward to BoN, that's for sure.

Edited by simfan2015
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, KroatJG52 said:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the purpose of your quote, but according to Wikipedia, the operational strength of the the Luftwaffe on April 9, 1945 was 3,331 aircraft in total. That said, I agree that the Ar 234 is a really odd choice since barely over 200 were produced--and who knows how many of those were actually in operation. Bf 109 G-6 AS/ASM would be nice though.

Re,

I speak for the Arado, so few are in operation.

15 minutes ago, Yankee_One said:

What version of the MK VXIV are we getting? C? E?

I would assume that’s still to be determined.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Battle of Normandy with planes which share (more or less ) 3d models with existing planes. I knew nothing from PTO, this engine and netcode  is struggling online.

I'm hoping the time they may save by having less work for the planes could indeed be used to improve dserver and netcode performance.

• Upvote 3

I am very happy with this announcement and will be getting it. The Mosquito F.B. MkIV alone is enough incentive for me. I very much look forward to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

I would assume that’s still to be determined.

Almost certainly the C as very few Es in service until the last months.

Why is everyone down on the poor Arado? OK, so it was a limited series aircraft but it adds a lot as a flyable aircraft.

I do hope we get more boats on the map, or D-Day will be a little disappointing.

P-51B/C it's great plane to fight. Faster, lighter, more maneuverability and more stability than P-51D. The gunpower is lighter and visibility from cockpit is less, but it's still "Warrior". 

17 hours ago, Luftschiff said:

I can't lie, even with the Ar-234, Mosquito and Me-410 I'm disappointed. Even the planeset contains a lot of re-used craft with questionable value.
Make no mistake, I appreciate that you have a difficult task steering this ship in this day and age, but... aw 😕

Yep, the whole caboose seems a bit overpriced, also considering the map: it's already in Cliffs of Dover Blitz.

Besides the long wished for C47 is Ai only, and still NO B17, or Avro Lancasters; two quite important ones at the end of WW2.

Too many similar planes also present. For now I'll let it go at 79,99.

Bodenplatte was quite a thing, prepaid for that, but still a lot important seems missing like far too many old towns.

Edited by jollyjack
correction

Why all the fuss over the AI planes? Apart from the V-1 I'm pretty sure most people know that as soon as the Hurricane and Yak-9s are finished, those AI planes will be first priority for collector planes. 

I also don't get the fuss over the 109 and 190. They were the main fighters of Germany present at every period. There has to be some variation of them in each release that involves Germany. Each module has to stand on its own. 

With all the PTO backlash the last couple of years and more to come, I bet Jason is starting to regret ever mentioning it. I get some people are butthurt over it but there's no need to throw tantrums like children. I'm butthurt that they didn't finish out the Russian front but I like Bodenplatte, Flying Circus, and Normandy as well. 

I hear there is some PTO action coming from Leatherneck so maybe get your fix with the Corsair while we wait for GB to get to the Pacific. That is if it ever gets released by the time GB gets to the Pacific...

Or maybe TF 6.0 or 7.0 will be in the Pacific before GB?

Edited by Danziger
  • Like 1

Ladies/Gents,

Extremely disappointed not to see player controlled Fieseler Fi 103R.

Perhaps a collector item to be released later??

Regards

Hello Jason, first of all I would like to thank you for your work. But I have question. Do we need another G6 ? :( It will be better G14 becouse late G6 was like G14. It is same plane but with modifications and this i feel same about A6 better will be A9 for us. And same V1 rly we need V1? unnecessary work .. Better for us AI B17 or another axis AI plane...

I understand how difficult your work is. But please don't be afraid to ask the community for help. We will be happy to help you because we want this simulator to flourished.

Edited by Art
Addition

1 minute ago, Haza said:

Ladies/Gents,

Extremely disappointed not to see player controlled Fieseler Fi 103R.

Perhaps a collector item to be released later??

Regards

Just load up the Ar-234 with bombs and crash on the enemy, it’s a cheaper way of getting the 103 experience ;) 

• Haha 1

As I said earlier, great,  but please add some development time to add SP wingman/flight command logic and improve Career play. 

• Upvote 2

Great news, will pre-order soon,

D-Day is a rather important event in WW2!  So it needs to be done in Great Battles...  ( and the next Tank Commander?!?! )

and the map is ideal for a future Battle Of Britain campaign ( official or unofficial )

Looking forward to this.

The Arado flew over all 5 beach heads and photographed the allied landing sites in Normandy in the summer (early August) of 1944. There were 214 built and Arados flew many recon and bombing missions in the last year of the war - it is perfectly relevant for the Normandy (and Ardennes) maps.

No idea however, why the developers chose Ju88C-6 over the Ju-188.

As others, I was expecting Pacific with the Morse code.

But Normandy is a very reasonable choice. With BoBp, BoN, planesets and Collector planes combined, it allows great and long playability and scenarios over western Europe (online, offline, from 1941 to 1945,  variety of missions types, suits flying circus and tank crew scenarios, etc.). 🙂

Hope this brings enough funding to go pacific later on (I'm waiting for Jason's comment over Pacific).

Cheers, 

• Like 1