Invisible Planes Bug

1 hour ago, J2_Bidu said:

Clearly not the case. As I have mentioned we've had it happen among J2 members all flying D7F's. Three flying, and just one of us didn't see just another of us.

definitely based on what I’m hearing and what I see in this video where two pfalzs were visible and two d7fs were not, it does appear to disproportionately effect d7fs

Before it goes off the rails anymore than it already has, there has been mention of other plane types being invisible but as of yet there has not been any video on it. 

All videos or instances I've seen, show the Fokker D7/D7f but I am not on the side that thinks it ONLY affects these types. 

Again, it's paramount that everyone records so we can establish a proper baseline. Seeing how the dev's already know this bug it would make it seem that they are aware of the cause. Or not since it's going on 5 years now....🤷‍♂️

I theorized the other day that it has something to do with long range and short range modeling of the plane. That maybe something gets messed up when the plane changes from far to near rendering.

You can kinda see this in reviewing track record and planes at a distance will disappear when you fly the camera close to them.

Who knows.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

definitely based on what I’m hearing and what I see in this video where two pfalzs were visible and two d7fs were not, it does appear to disproportionately effect d7fs

Oh yes that is also our perception. But as can be seen, some germans don't see germans either.

33 minutes ago, US213_Talbot said:

I theorized the other day that it has something to do with long range and short range modeling of the plane. That maybe something gets messed up when the plane changes from far to near rendering.

You can kinda see this in reviewing track record and planes at a distance will disappear when you fly the camera close to them.

Well, it happened to us flying in formation super close to each other. 

1 hour ago, US213_Talbot said:

Some nights ago I was flying SE5, mid mud to German side at about 4000m and spotted 2 contacts  somewhere NE of Cappy, same altitude as me VERY far away, they were just tiny dots. I started closing and gaining some altitude looking at them all the time zooming in and out so as to decide on their heading. While I was still very far away looking constantly at those tiny dots, the just disappeared. 10 mins latter I got hit by 2 DVIIs, from my 6 that I have never spotted, although I am not the worse as far as SA is concerned.

My point is I am not sure it is a disappearance after zooming full in and out. I was fully zoomed out looking at them when they vanished.

Bad situation for the Entente!

Yeah!^ 

So my theory is something is screwy with the PLANE ITSELF as it gets physically closer to you. Changing from far to near causes the error and gets "hung up" in invisible land. It's not the zooming in and out of the player view. It's the plane moving from far to close. That's why it doesn't happen across the board for everyone in the flight "looking" at the invisible plane. Maybe it's something in the modeling of the plane, some error in rendering because the AI Flak and AI Gunners all know the invisible plane is there. And only when the plane fires his guns, gets shot, or cocks his guns, does it rematerilize because something has changed in the model now that it's nearer to the player.

I think, but am not sure, your same situation happened when hotlead was invisible. I'm sure I tracked 2 contacts who looked like they disappeared at one point. Awhile later we were bounced by them from that same direction.

Edited by US213_Talbot

Just want to add to this thread that during last FiF I had an invisible gunner in my backseat.

Cuban jumped in to gun for me and when I looked the seat was empty. I could see the gun move but not the gunner.

Later he appeared as I recall after changing some settings on his puter.

13 hours ago, US213_Talbot said:

Bidu, did the person who was invisible start with you guys or did they fly in at a later time from far away?

FC not RoF correct?

Bidu and myself had been flying in formation. Some time ago Trupobaw joined the server and we gave a rally point so he could meet us. We were all in DVIIFs. We closed, I could see both Bidu and Trupo, Bidu could see both me and Trupo, but Trupo could see only Bidu, despite me flying 70 meters in front of Trupo. He was not able to see me even after I fired my guns, not on him of course, but in empty air. So, maybe the invisibility disappears when the DVII interacts directly with the object, for example when its target receives one bullet? Just trying to guess here.

14 hours ago, US213_Talbot said:

Bidu, did the person who was invisible start with you guys or did they fly in at a later time from far away?

FC not RoF correct?

I believe he joined later. I remember that I was pointing to the leader that I had seen the other fellow and he was joining us and the leader just couldn't see him coming. And this went on until we were formed up and he still could 't see him, so we took notice it was the bug again, and exploring this opportunity we tested him firing a shot and there he immediately popped visible for the leader too.

PS: I see my report is not consistent with Drook's above. Still, it's the best I can recall. I may trust Drook's better, though... 😀

All in FC, yes.

Edited by J2_Bidu
On 2/2/2020 at 12:22 PM, US213_Talbot said:

Yes known people. It's not cheating. It's a bug for sure. 

Cripes! What a piss-off. Do your MP mates know they're invisible? And {shudder} take advantage of it? I've never seen invisible planes in SP. Well you wouldn't would you I suppose …. but you know what I mean. Suddenly someone on your tail spitting lead from out of nowhere.

OTOH, when Drook and I took off together, we were both invisible together to the same people. In latter case, I think Bidu and Drook took off separately (and Bidu was in "visible for Trupo" state) formed up, then I could not see Drook.

I'm 90% convinved it happens when planes are far apart (some optimalisation to not send data of planes you can't see anyway) and is not cleared when they close.

As far as I hate on-screen messages, perhaps server runners should make a "Be a gentleman, cock your guns to stay visible" message pop up every 10 minutes?

Edited by J2_Trupobaw
  • Upvote 3
16 hours ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

As far as I hate on-screen messages, perhaps server runners should make a "Be a gentleman, cock your guns to stay visible" message pop up every 10 minutes?

Yeah, we can take responsibility ourselves as well. Cock guns regularly, especially when enemy are about, and fire a couple of rounds when clear of EA.  

Edited by US103_Baer
22 hours ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

5 hours ago, US103_Baer said:

Yeah, we can take responsibility ourselves as well. Cock guns regularly, especially when enemy are about, and fire a couple of rounds when clear of EA.  

We have invisible planes , now unfortunately we have invisible gunners too, my squad members where reporting this flying Halberstads Cl2 during last Saturday FIF2020 event when others were   joining gunner position. Ufortunately I do not have recordings because I was flying Fokker Dr.1.

But Wulfpack did catch it on his video

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
  • Upvote 1

Something that I was suspecting for a while seems to have been confirmed today. What I see online appears to not always be what I see on my tracks. I got a formation of four planes that I didn’t see online. On the track, it is clear that I zooming in the wrong direction, so I was not seeing them online (on my track I see a clear formation). I took notice because I had another track with a similar formation (hard to forget several planes flying in line), but back then I gave the code the benefit of the doubt and imagined that I was just ‘seeing things’ (no pun intended).

I'll post the video later to see if any of you guys have suspected this before. 

I have another track with something like the Alt Vis effect, when there are several contacts with 0% zoom and then most of them shrink with zoom. I also don't remember to see all those contacts online. My setting has Alt Vis off.

There are some weird stuff going on here. Even with 65 players today I have a hard time to see that many contacts, and when I go check the tracks... It appears to no match my experience online.

20 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

Something that I was suspecting for a while seems to have been confirmed today. What I see online appears to not always be what I see on my tracks. I got a formation of four planes that I didn’t see online. On the track, it is clear that I zooming in the wrong direction, so I was not seeing them online (on my track I see a clear formation). I took notice because I had another track with a similar formation (hard to forget several planes flying in line), but back then I gave the code the benefit of the doubt and imagined that I was just ‘seeing things’ (no pun intended).

I'll post the video later to see if any of you guys have suspected this before. 

I have another track with something like the Alt Vis effect, when there are several contacts with 0% zoom and then most of them shrink with zoom. I also don't remember to see all those contacts online. My setting has Alt Vis off.

There are some weird stuff going on here. Even with 65 players today I have a hard time to see that many contacts, and when I go check the tracks... It appears to no match my experience online.

I too noticed Alt Vis like effect last night when looking at tracks for the first time in a while.  Think its a bug from the latest update as I don't remember this happening.  I did try flying QMB with Alt Vis off and went back and looked at the tracks which then showed up normal, but then when I shut down the game, restart and go straight to the tracks its back again.

• Thanks 1
Just now, US93_Furlow said:

I too noticed Alt Vis like effect last night when looking at tracks for the first time in a while.  Think its a bug from the latest update as I don't remember this happening.  I did try flying QMB with Alt Vis off and went back and looked at the tracks which then showed up normal, but then when I shut down the game, restart and go straight to the tracks its back again.

Thanks, it might explain why I'm seeing different things on my tracks, but just today that I noticed the Alt Vis thing. I'll keep on eye on things (if that's even possible 😂😂😂)

Invisible trucks.

Not multiplayer, just the quick mission builder, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in multiplayer as well and unless you happen to spot the tracks being made by an invisible object it's easy to miss.

Got bored shooting down A.I so attacked a column of trucks, Arras map. On being attacked they dispersed into the fields, but "Hey, what's that", a set of tyre tracks but nothing visible making them.  So it's definetly not just human players or just the Fokker VII. 

Also when I zoomed in, using the default VR zoom key, several more trucks, but not all, icons and all, also disappeared.

I know this might be a bit diferent, maybe even unimportant by comparison to multiplayer but, you never know, I hope this might help isolate the problem in a reproducable way.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if the invisible aircraft thing might be, in some way,  linked to the fact that bombs that have been dropped vanish from view after a couple of seconds. the game knows they're there and , apart from the visual model, track them to the point of impact ?  Maybe objects, other than bombs, are mistakenly getting the same treatment ?

10 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

You can follow a bomb down and keep it in view the entire time.

Not me, they vanish after a couple of seconds, big ones, small ones, ones in the middle, all of them, and before you ask, no it's not just me losing sight of them.  Interesting that it's different for you, just to be clear, this was in the QMB rather than multiplayer, haven't checked there yet.  Do you ever see invisible planes ?

2 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

Not me, they vanish after a couple of seconds, big ones, small ones, ones in the middle, all of them, and before you ask, no it's not just me losing sight of them.  Interesting that it's different for you, just to be clear, this was in the QMB rather than multiplayer, haven't checked there yet.  Do you ever see invisible planes ?

I don't record tracks, so no I don't "see" invisible planes.

Try climbing straight vertical to a stall, then release your bomb.  You should be able to reorient and follow it down.  You could try shooting at it too I guess, though I've never managed to hit one.

“Can you see invisible aircraft”

Yes, it’s a little silly, but actually it isn’t.  There have been reports, here in this thread, of some players, in a formation, clearly seeing aircraft, even friendlies that are very close ,while others , in the formation, can’t see them at all. I thought, but can’t be certain, that, last Sunday, I saw the exhaust smoke from an otherwise invisible aircraft, it didn’t attack me so it might have been friendly or just not close enough or it might not even have seen me. The Bombs do vanish.  I was setting up my Simshaker jetseat, in QMB,  I was in external view, and adjusting the payload feedback setting.  Drop a bomb and the seat vibrates to indicate a bomb has detached.  After a couple of seconds the bombs disappear, in mid air, but still create a, very desultory, poof (20 lb coopers) when they hit the deck.

Weird, last night, I thought I saw clouds shooting tracer, it kept coming from the same spot, same direction, but couldn’t see an aircraft diving in the direction of the tracer.  More obviously, and not potentially hidden by cloud, and I have the video to prove it, was tracer being fired, as if from a moving aircraft, but no aircraft was, or became visible.  It wasn’t obvious what the shooter was shooting at either.   Was coming to the end of the session so the player, whoever it was, might have just even popping off for the sake of it, before spawning out.

I saw another one today, just an hour ago. I think this is the fourth or fifth since november, when I started to record these tracks. This one, looks like he was also looking for an invisible plane, but I did not ask on chat. If he has a track, we can confirm it - otherwise I imagine he was firing at empty air because he wasn’t sure after seeing flak.

Also check the second video with my view from the cockpit. It is apparently clear that he was firing to show some invisible plane, but like I said, he could have not seen me, since I was way below his level and in these cases we usually won't see a thing. It would be nice to confirm it.

• Upvote 1

Encountered this bug today. I was looking directly at 3 fokker D7's (f?) when 2 disappeared. I immediately texted in chat what happened. One fired and reappeared. Next one fired and he reappeared.

Unfortunately I started recording AFTER they disappeared. Video posted when I get a chance.

• Like 1

If cocking really fixes this, why not petition the devs to build in an auto-cock at the end of engine start-up (or a second after spawning in the case of an air start).

Doesn't sound like too much work for them.. next update.

Not that I've any idea what an auto-cock is ?

No postcards required.