Han

Developer Diary 221 - Discussion

If only destroyed Stalingrad looked 10% like Cologne in today's images.

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Valis said:

Little bit on the nose maybe

Koln_2.jpg

'ck's sake. That looks like Koeln (Cologne) to me.

But - yeah, and I hope you're sitting down.... Tthere's more than one gothic cathedral in Europe.

Here's a cathedral (English Baroque) that escaped damage in WWII:

_50495476_aftermath_getty.jpg

Edited by No601_Swallow

Very much looking forward to the net update, which will bring a new Tank Crew purchase from moi.

14 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

If only destroyed Stalingrad looked 10% like Cologne in today's images.

Would be cool if they would one day remaster Stalingrad city :P

• Upvote 5

Posted (edited)

I love the photos from BoBp but I am curious how this will work.  Currently Moscow is a no fly zone and most villages have no buildings in them because it puts too much load on the CPU/GPU/  How is it we suddenly have this complex cityscape?   

Did I miss an announcement about a radical new method for rendering townscapes that will be released with BoBp?

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Upvote 3

Destroyed town looks great, cant wait to see finished ma it will be epic!

20 minutes ago, InProgress said:

Would be cool if they would one day remaster Stalingrad city :P

Fingers crossed.

(I love the way they did Stalingrad. Not only did the two-dimensional ruined walls give a great impression of the devastation of the landscape - at low fps cost - but I finally understood the layout of the battle with Mamlev Kurgan, the gullies cutting into the river, the locations of the staition, the grain elevator, the tractor factory, etc. It's a masterpiece. But imagine it upgraded!.... :)

5 minutes ago, No601_Swallow said:

Fingers crossed.

(I love the way they did Stalingrad. Not only did the two-dimensional ruined walls give a great impression of the devastation of the landscape - at low fps cost - but I finally understood the layout of the battle with Mamlev Kurgan, the gullies cutting into the river, the locations of the staition, the grain elevator, the tractor factory, etc. It's a masterpiece. But imagine it upgraded!.... :)

is there a story behind why some places of the stalingrad city look like maps from red orchestra 2?

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, EpeeNoire said:

is there a story behind why some places of the stalingrad city look like maps from red orchestra 2?

Because RO2 depicted Stalingrad.

SE and Albatros look stunning. Very exciting.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KG_S_Big_Al_the_Allo said:

There was no offical announecment yet (as far as i know), but i have a good feeling. I mean the Pz. III´s interieur should be the same and the T-34 has the exact same chassis. Only the turret is different. So i think they will update them in the Future.

My hope on that would be that they decide to transfer over the interior from the IIIM to the IIIL for free, and then sell a T-34 Mod.42 112 factory, which they could then easily adapt the interior from for the STZ we currently have, and selling the 112 factory version could help justify the cost of re-making the interior. 

@Dogbert1953 The current T-34 you can play (one of the original tank-test vehicles) is a Model 1942 from the Stalingrad Tractor Factory. The one being added for Kursk is a Mod. 42/43 from Uralvagonzavod, with the re-designed hexagonal "mickey mouse" turret, but from before the addition of a commander's cupola. 

Edited by thenorm
  • Thanks 1

Great DD as usual 😊

Man, the destroyed Köln looks STUNNING! I have to echo the others here in saying, that I wish for similar level of detail for a future Stalingrad refurbishing. 

The other stuff looks really good as well. Those tank interiors are just amazing. 

The May update promises to be a good one. 

Posted (edited)

The new map with it's detaild cars and glorious towns.. my pc wil have no chanse, it wil be a festival of stuttering 😭

Edited by Sandmarken

29 minutes ago, Sandmarken said:

The new map with it's detaild cars and glorious towns.. my pc wil have no chanse, it wil be a festival of stuttering 😭

No, it will not 😉

• Like 2

@thenorm  Many thanks for replying and the provided information.

Much appreciated buddy.

Mike.

Don't let anyone tell you that the Albatros is not the most beautiful looking aeroplane...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Great news, great job, still a lot to do, keep the good news coming, thank you very much. :salute:

I'm sure I'm not alone with this wish, but I hope the Jeep will be drivable eventually even we have to pay for it,,,😋

3a78b734d33f330b0b03b80e39016b5e.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I'm sure I'm not alone with this wish, but I hope the Jeep will be drivable eventually even we have to pay for it,,,😋

3a78b734d33f330b0b03b80e39016b5e.gif

Not only Jeep, I hope for all vehicles being drivable eventually! Imagine smth like IL-2 Truck Simulator😂
It could also bring more fun to scripted campaigns. Imagine the plot: main character is shot down on enemy territory, hijacked a vehicle to break through the frontline to friendly troops!😉

• Like 1

Man the Jeep brought back memories. I learnt to drive on on my uncles farm in the late 50’s. He purchased 2 (one still in its shipping crate) and a (non airworthy) Avro Anson from a nearby air base at the end of WWII for the equivalent of around $500 (for all three) in today’s money.

The Anson stood In a paddock for many years before being donated to a local aircraft museum for restoration and viewing. As a youngster I spent numerous hours in it flying all over the world wearing my fathers WWII RAAF leather helmet. (He flew Wellington’s and Dakotas from the UK during the war).

I eventually owned my own 1943 Ford built Jeep in the 70’s but stupidly sold it when my 20 years in the navy was up in 1983 and we moved interstate. Every time I see one now it brings back pangs of regret. Soon I get to own a digital one that will hopefully be drivable one day.

Muchos grassy arse for the update devs.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

That's a great update.  The damaged cityscape looks fantastic. 

For a person considering buying Bodenplatte, can you tell me if the damage to airfields and towns is on the map by Default, or is is only visible through custom missions created in the FMB?

41 minutes ago, pilotpierre said:

Man the Jeep brought back memories. I learnt to drive on on my uncles farm in the late 50’s. He purchased 2 (one still in its shipping crate) and a (non airworthy) Avro Anson from a nearby air base at the end of WWII for the equivalent of around $500 (for all three) in today’s money.

The Anson stood In a paddock for many years before being donated to a local aircraft museum for restoration and viewing. As a youngster I spent numerous hours in it flying all over the world wearing my fathers WWII RAAF leather helmet. (He flew Wellington’s and Dakotas from the UK during the war).

I eventually owned my own 1943 Ford built Jeep in the 70’s but stupidly sold it when my 20 years in the navy was up in 1983 and we moved interstate. Every time I see one now it brings back pangs of regret. Soon I get to own a digital one that will hopefully be drivable one day.

Muchos grassy arse for the update devs.

Hats off! I wish my own life (up to now) had been half so interesting! Next item on the agenda: get a jeep!

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

That's a great update.  The damaged cityscape looks fantastic. 

For a person considering buying Bodenplatte, can you tell me if the damage to airfields and towns is on the map by Default, or is is only visible through custom missions created in the FMB?

I imagine it will be off in quick mission builder, and on in things like career, as that is how it works on the other maps. 

Thanks norm. I will wait to hear from official channels before deciding. 

I would love to see them add map destruction to QMB as an option like ground targets and weather are. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I love the photos from BoBp but I am curious how this will work.  Currently Moscow is a no fly zone and most villages have no buildings in them because it puts too much load on the CPU/GPU/  How is it we suddenly have this complex cityscape?   

Did I miss an announcement about a radical new method for rendering townscapes that will be released with BoBp?

The reason we didn't get Moscow in detail wasn't because of performance. It was because they didn't have the time to go through and model the city. As it was, they pushed the modeling of the very low detail buildings for distance viewing to Ugra Media.

7 hours ago, Finkeren said:

Great DD as usual 😊

Man, the destroyed Köln looks STUNNING! I have to echo the others here in saying, that I wish for similar level of detail for a future Stalingrad refurbishing. 

The other stuff looks really good as well. Those tank interiors are just amazing. 

The May update promises to be a good one. 

Agreed! It looks spectacular and it makes me want to see them bring that to Stalingrad at some point too. The only bad thing about them outdoing themselves is that we want them to go back and apply their awesome job everywhere :)

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I hope that we can see the Bodenplatte map in May/June when the P-51 is released 

Edited by Novice-Flyer
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 216th_Peterla said:

Is this T34 going to replace the existing in the game or is a different one?

I doubt it, as the current T-34 is the STZ version, while this is the UVZ version.

11 hours ago, Valis said:

Little bit on the nose maybe

Not really. The destroyed cathedral at Cologne is the most famous image of the city in WWII. Doesn’t make much sense to show off a Cologne map without the most iconic building.

Which other AI vehicles can we expect?  M3, M8 Greyhound, Universal Carrier and maybe some American/British AI tanks? The nice thing is, that we would be able to use many of these vehicles for the Red Army too.

• Upvote 2

Great update, the wood paneling on the Albatross looks awesome!

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Hope the missions in carrer start with you in the jeep with other pilots going to your planes! 😄

302b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, TP_Sparky said:

There IS news on the BoBp planes, "Of course, the development of the remaining [BoBp] aircraft is progressing at full speed."  That's great news.  Read the text as well as look at the pictures.

I could have had my own SE5a, in real life.  After the commuter airline I flew for went out of business I took my kids to the Arkansas Air Museum at Drake Fielf in Fayetteville, Arkansas and in the hanger an old friend of my fathers I knew was completing his replica SE5a.  It looked full-size but possibly was slightly smaller, I don't know what kits are available but it looked authentic, not at all like some kits I've seen.  I'm very familiar with the a/c and this looked like the original.  

The old gentleman was in the finishing-up stages of his build.  He knew I flew ragwing taildraggers for years before I flew military and airlines and he said, "Do you want to be the pilot?  Do you want to come fly it?"

After a few more words I realized he was offering me the chance to fly it whenever I wanted, basically as my personal aircraft.  He was quite old then and probably wanted a younger, current pilot to fly his baby.  

One part of me loved having my own fighter to fly at will.  But I had two little kids and my mind instantly thought that modern wings stall at the wing root first so the ailerons stay effective well into the stall.  I didn't know if the SE5a wing had that aerodynamic characteristic and margin of safety.  I've flown high-performance a/c but my flying instincts are grounded in modern aircraft beginning with a 1947 Champ and a WWII veteran [New Guinea Campaign] L-4 Cub.    I have no idea and I'm sure it varies as to year and design but some The Great War aircraft might even stall at the wingtip first depending on wing design, washout, etc.  

I sadly declined.  I was entering law school soon and had two little kids and decided to forgo the chance to have my own SE5a.

Can you guess the ending?  I've regretted it ever since.  

I think you should not regret that for a second and I think you made the right choice. At those times the "flight engeneers" had very approximate idea of the physicics of flight especially the critical angles of attack. Many good pilots died for that precise reason, as the design was evolving by  trial and error. I think you should not second guess your pilot instincts  and you made the right call. Even more it was not a full scale replica so, the calculations are different and really god knows what actually you would fly. Also those planes tended to be bitchy and peer advice was giving the critical safety margin regarding what to expect and how to react. So no peer advice today. And what to be a test pilot with the risks involved like the pioneers of the flight LOL.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Based on limited info I would have to agree with Kornezov, i KNEW a number of professional pilots who toyed with homebuilts with unhappy endings 

(nothing against good homebuilts or replicas though) 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Nice update - really looking forward to seeing the Bodenplatte map!

wow, glad to see Koeln , actually I see the BOB map also included Muenster, the city where I live, can't wait to bomb our University,xD

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Apanos9 said:

Hope the missions in carrer start with you in the jeep with other pilots going to your planes! 😄

302b.jpg

While your airfield is being raided by German aircraft on New Years Day 1945?

• Like 1