Han

Developer Diary 221 - Discussion

Posted (edited)

With all the hard work and dedication that goes into AI ground vehicles. Why not give those vehicles to everyone in the game by default to drive and enjoy like the original tanks. They do not need to be perfect and I believe players would be understanding of that. Giving players the ability to use the AI vehicles would add an entirely new element for the playerbase to enjoy and immerse themselves with. I cannot express how many times I looked at an AI vehicle and thought to myself, I want to drive that. It would be a great additional bonus future for the game. 

In fact, that is exactly why we have Tank crew now. Because people could drive a couple basic AI tanks and people loved it. So many people enjoyed that aspect of the game and now it has become its own feature. Why not extend that same kindness by allowing players to use all the other AI vehicles as well. Surely, everyone would like and agree to this suggestion? 

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 1

@ICDP, great job on the updated Spitfire skins. One little thing I did notice is that the "D" in "Inboard" is missing from the left-hand wing:

2019_4_26__6_32_26.thumb.jpg.dd1ebb4e596e39cdb0604e5105dd0ce9.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I know there's a point of pride in being able to inspire as many as one can to learn about the history and reasons you put so much work and passion into this project.  Sometimes having to 'convert' new players from other similar games (like warthunder) is a factor in keeping funding and grow interest.  That said, devs, please, please, please, reject the arcade as much as possible.

:salute:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

Giving players the ability to use the AI vehicles would add an entirely new element for the playerbase to enjoy and immerse themselves with.

This is really good idea, but based on false background.

AI vehicles cannot be playable becouse:

- low poly details,

- advanced driving phisics is not implemented (f.e. accelerations, gears),

- just "boxes" without moving parts (wheels, steering wheel, crews)

- no improved damage mechanics,

- poor playability (what's funny with driving Willys or another recons?)

Summary:

Too much to do to be a nice-playable.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

With all the hard work and dedication that goes into AI ground vehicles. Why not give those vehicles to everyone in the game by default to drive and enjoy like the original tanks. They do not need to be perfect and I believe players would be understanding of that. Giving players the ability to use the AI vehicles would add an entirely new element for the playerbase to enjoy and immerse themselves with. I cannot express how many times I looked at an AI vehicle and thought to myself, I want to drive that. It would be a great additional bonus future for the game. 

In fact, that is exactly why we have Tank crew now. Because people could drive a couple basic AI tanks and people loved it. So many people enjoyed that aspect of the game and now it has become its own feature. Why not extend that same kindness by allowing players to use all the other AI vehicles as well. Surely, everyone would like and agree to this suggestion? 

Even though I understand you, I do not agree. You do not take into account one of the fundamental things of development - finance. It's nice if you design a free technique, but then the question is what to pay for developers. In addition, AI units do not even reach the quality of tanks such as Tiger, KV1, Pz.IIIM and Sherman. I personally do not think it would be a benefit to the game, rather the opposite. 777 maintains a very high standard in all three products (IL2GB, CoP and FC). If they did what you were suggesting, the perception of the game series by players would be less positive, and they would call for AI units to be controlled. What would ultimately unnecessarily dampen even the limited resources available to developers. 

• Upvote 3

Hi guys,

Use another topic for suggestions at the right subsection, leave this topic for the DD talk.

Thank you

Haash

As someone who, in part, maintains stencils on aircraft I wouldn't be shocked to see a missing "D" or maybe even more letters or maybe even the whole thing.  As I've always said to my co-workers,  anyone working on or around an aircraft that has to rely on stencils needs to be supervised because stencils (and placards) have been wrong.  And sometimes they're right but just in the wrong place. 

Especially I like the appearance of wooden elements of the albatross.

Just picked up FC today, and after flying for several hours, I want an Albatross and I want an SE5 and I want them now!  :crazy: That and a P-38, and an Me-262, and a P-51 and... and ... and....  Wait did I mention the Pacific Theater? 

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Rhan_N_Singh said:

Just picked up FC today, and after flying for several hours, I want an Albatross and I want an SE5 and I want them now!  :crazy: That and a P-38, and an Me-262, and a P-51 and... and ... and....  Wait did I mention the Pacific Theater? 

Get in line with the rest of us 😄  

• Upvote 4