Work in Progress

24 minutes ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

@HappyHaddock hi, have you determined what the impact of update 4.006 has had on your project?

I've been really busy since the start of the year with a lot of commissioned work so had very little time for IL-2. I thought covid-19 might see my work dry up but aside from a brief blip when the whole world stopped to revaluate priorities I've been busier than normal since the social distancing restrictions came into place in March.

Jason Williams (IL-2's official producer) did contact me about six months ago to discuss my work and their proposed changes to the game engine's lighting and I'm not expecting any impact directly from the switch to deferred shading, but I've not had a chance to try things yet... we'll see how my diary looks in June....

In terms of the clouds and lighting it looks as if Rowdyboot's mods have been playing with much of what I'd been looking into, so  although I've only had a brief look through the files he's been changing these last few months and not had time to actually  install and run his work, if his mods still function then it's likely the bulk of what I'd been doing should still function.

HH

26 minutes ago, HappyHaddock said:

I've been really busy since the start of the year with a lot of commissioned work so had very little time for IL-2. I thought covid-19 might see my work dry up but aside from a brief blip when the whole world stopped to revaluate priorities I've been busier than normal since the social distancing restrictions came into place in March.

Jason Williams (IL-2's official producer) did contact me about six months ago to discuss my work and their proposed changes to the game engine's lighting and I'm not expecting any impact directly from the switch to deferred shading, but I've not had a chance to try things yet... we'll see how my diary looks in June....

In terms of the clouds and lighting it looks as if Rowdyboot's mods have been playing with much of what I'd been looking into, so  although I've only had a brief look through the files he's been changing these last few months and not had time to actually  install and run his work, if his mods still function then it's likely the bulk of what I'd been doing should still function.

HH

thx for your quick answer

On 5/20/2020 at 12:56 PM, So_ein_Feuerball said:

@HappyHaddock hi, have you determined what the impact of update 4.006 has had on your project?

Well having woken at a silly early hour of 3-30am and not been able to get back to sleep I spent some time before breakfast taking a first quick peak at what the new deferred shading can do.

First impressions are that overall it makes lots of subtle improvements visually that I like and that some of the bits of my work I was most pleased with now look even better. However  after even a quick cursory skim through things I've already spotted a couple of things about my mod work that this latest version of the game doesn't like.

I've been getting strange inverted shadow/reflections; that is where I'd expect a momentary bright glint of sunlight bouncing off the sea, a clear canopy or polished metal engine cowling  I'm getting  flashes of dark black shadows. I've already identified the "culprit" and it's taken all of about 10minutes to change some settings in my mod to get rid of the "black glints" and turn them back to white... however  I will now have a lot to change to re-balance the look of everything else affected by changing these key settings.

Another thing I've noticed which will probably seem trivial to everyone else but has really caught me by surprise and caused me some head scratching is that the  ground level seems to have been raised by about 5-10cm... At least something about the way small objects and textures at ground level are visually represented is now different as they've sunk into the surface.  This could be a fix for some other issue or problem or may relate to changes brought about with the move deferred shading; at this stage I don't know which is the case... I've a lot of experimentation ahead of me before being certain what has changed, if it is consistently different or only different under freak circumstances, and what I can do about it. However if I can't get to the bottom of this then I've got an awful lot of previous work which I'm going to have to go back and re-do simply to lift things back above the surface of the earth. 

Nevertheless this all relates to stuff I've not really posted images of or spoken publicly about in anything other than the most casual passing manner. Everything I've previously posted images of is still possible, these issues are with all the good stuff I've been keeping to myself  until I'm satisfied I can make it all function and it can be turned into a reliable stable mod others can use.... I did earlier today however have one of those rare moments when everything came together in a HOLY S**T! sort of experience that left me thinking I've not seen youtube clips  or screenshots of the new MS Flight sim 2020 that looked as good.. if only I could deliver such quality consistently under all scenarios and at a high resolution and fast frame rate.

Anyway for the time being it's back to paid art work and sculpting commissions... I'll pick up IL-2 again as and when I can but the finishing line of this long slow mod-making project seems to have moved a little further away, but as it technically started in 2014 for ROF as a one man band working in my limited spare time I may always be chasing to keep up with a team of professional developers.

Cheers

HH 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 12:22 PM, HappyHaddock said:

Another thing I've noticed which will probably seem trivial to everyone else but has really caught me by surprise and caused me some head scratching is that the  ground level seems to have been raised by about 5-10cm

There were many reports of objects looking like they were floating, I wonder if this was their way to fix the issue.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...