Sign in to follow this  
HappyHaddock

Work in Progress

Some may remember my mods from ROF...

Well now Flying Circus is in early access and I can get back into the cockpit of some WWI crates again I've been revisiting my mods and picking up on stuff I'd been tinkering with years ago where there's more cross compatibility between ROF and FC than I expected.

Anyway whilst far from complete or suited to making available for others to use I wanted to paste here a WIP image.

I've been playing around with stuff I'd got working in ROF (but never made available publicly) by way of creating various new scripts and files to add different grass/plants/foliage effects in different fields rather than using one stock grass texture everywhere, along with trying to remove the grass textures from the dirt tracks painted as part of the basic map tiles but which aren't actually overlaid with road textures to be navigable by mission planners.

At the moment I'm not worrying too much about the hit on FPS I'm just seeing what's possible before optimising settings, but things still seem to be running without any noticeable stutters when maxed out so clearly I'm not slowing things down too much yet.

I've a lot more in the pipeline, and that's not to mention revisiting my enhanced sky mods, but here's one quick screenshot just to illustrate what I've been playing with to get some more varied/detailed and European feeling plant life.

Cheers

HH

PS. - Note to the Devs: No doubt you'll do what makes financial sense and works for you rather than do things to make life easier for one modder; but if you haven't started work on the map texture tiles for the FC map of North France would you think about painting the dirt tracks on the map tiles in a more contrasting hue/tone to make it easier to use your colour mask features to keep the grass textures off these tracks.

Happyhaddock WIP.jpg

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Looks nice.  The background trees look quite strange by comparison, with those boots of grass around the base of their trunks.  It's the exact opposite of what happens in nature.

Cant wait for this, thank you for your time working on FC what will (hopefully) a great WW1 SIM one day now work has stopped on ROF 

Good luck!

Doing this is a pita given the wide range of the color mask used by the different grass entries. Getting stuff like short grass in towns and tall wheat in fields is very time consuming. I'd suggest editing the textures.tini file to point each map to its own grass config file.

Another WIP snap of some scrubby plants on a bit of heathland...

I'm starting to reach the point with these experimental MODS that my FPS is now being limited by my GPU rather than the natural refresh rate of my monitor.;)

Things aren't yet stuttering visually but whilst the game engine is clearly capable of so much more, I don't think I'll get a functioning MOD that can do much more than shown here.

However this is just one bit of undergrowth, I can apply the same complexity/diversity to totally different plants in other fields so I've still to work on grasses and wildflowers for the meadows and various crops for the farmers fields.

Cheers

HH

DR1 and ground MOD.jpg

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4