BRADYS555

Po-2 ... ?

What happened to the Po-2, and the prospect of other aircraft being added from "outside" sources ?

Jason did say, that it was likely it would take time since everything has to be double checked and it’s being made by a team that has to learn as they go along.

I can wait... hopefully the Po-2 will turn up. I'm just happy it is actually in the works  :)

• Upvote 2

Funny that - I just got anxious myself and came to check the forums today.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, Trooper117 said:

I can wait... hopefully the Po-2 will turn up. I'm just happy it is actually in the works  :)

I hope the matching gameplay is in the works.  Recon, artillery observation, medical evacuation and supply roles are essential to it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

I also wonder about this as we did see a textured model quite some time ago now. I guess that as it is not a "main product" it has taken a back seat.

AWESOME!!! So glad to hear, that it's working out. Not only because I love the Po-2 and look forward to many interesting mission types for it, but especially because it opens the door to even more 3rd-party planes being developed eventually.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

It's coming and looks awesome! You'll see it soon. Not to worry.

Jason

I can hardly wait. I hope we get all the functions Feathered_IV suggested ...

Show us some pics! 😃

Edited by PA_Spartan-

38 minutes ago, PA_Spartan- said:

I can hardly wait. I hope we get all the functions Feathered_IV suggested ...

Handy features for two game titles now as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Thanks Jason, we know that we have to wait and be patient, 

But it is so exclusive, it is so unique in a simulator to have support plane...

Like the Junkers 52, the wait was long but worth it , as one of the marvel of this sim!

Thanks Jason,

good to know it's still in the works.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

I love you.😘

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Yep, definitely looking forward how it turns out. Not only the aircraft itself, but also the third party concept in general.

Also I'm curious how players will comment on the plane eventually.

@Jason_Williams, constructive criticism: In DD #191 it was called Po-2, but shouldn't it be U-2 really? Not until after Polikarpov's death it was renamed Po-2 in August 1944 - having been called U-2 for 17 years and during its most famous days. Moreover, the game as it is depicts 1941-43 Eastern Front scenarios, not post-August 1944 ones. Or maybe call it U-2/Po-2?

21 minutes ago, Leon_Portier said:

I dont see what the PO2 can do, what cant do by a different aircraft better though

With its low speed and open cockpit it is a fairly ideal tactical recon plane.

It also works well as a liaison/rescue aircraft, since it doesn't need much space to take off and land and isn't particularly picky about which surface it lands on.

It also had the real life benefit of being fairly easy to train pilots to fly, being rather economical to operate and most of all: Being available in absolutely huge numbers - the Po-2 is one of the most-produced aircraft of all time.  

• Upvote 2

Stoked. Makes me want to fire up ROF for some good old arty spotting. It was a lot of fun.

Well, the Po-2 has by far the shortest Take-Off and Landing Roll, the tightest Turn by far and a better Bombload than any Russian Built Fighter. 

And it won the only confirmed engagement of a Biplane by a Jet, shot down an F-94. In Korea the Amount of Damage it did, compared to it's Cost of Running and Produciton was absolutely massive. 

Considering it's performance and construction it will be a half way into Flying Circus.

Actually more than half way.;)

It's counterpart could be something like Fi 156.

Edited by bies

Well, as far as we heard, the plane is being made, and it wouldn't exist if not for 3rd party creating it. That's one thing, but creating missions and gameplay around it? Core mechanics of the game and stuff? That would probably have to be done by the devs, not the 3rd party. And I severely doubt that that much work is going to be done for a niche plane, especially looking at all the stuff in the works right now.

So I wouldn't bet on intricate gameplay surrounding the release of the plane if I were you. You'd probably set yourself up for disappointment.

Knowing Jason and the dev team, they never release it without doing intricate gameplay, like with Tante Ju.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I really wonder if it will be released alone without german counterpart, tho it would for sure come later. Or maybe there will be suprise and preorder will start with fi156 as well :rolleyes:

I really believe that there will be no counterpart for the moment, and there will be the Li2 I hope next year.

The choice between the Fi156 and the FW189 is tough, both planes are very useful and unique.

But having the Ju52 and the Po2 will add some potential interesting game-play on server. 

Hope we will get reward for doing support missions!

I don't really understand why people want the PO-2 so badly, but what the hell. The more planes, the better.

Sorry for nitpicking, but no, it wasn't a reconnaissance aircraft. Contrary to what's regularly written/implicated here in the forum it wasn't a dedicated recon. Same is true for the Storch, just wasn't it (really) used in the night harassment role additionally. Yes, both got used for surveillance, sometimes right over the calm (!) frontline, but that's all.

It was first and foremost a liaison aircraft.

Obstructed in later pictures, this early one shows the rudimental bomsight and its cutout in the U-2's starboard lower wing.  :joy: 

U-2LNB.thumb.png.cc4a25c076e6f4b798a9230338fa84ac.png

1 hour ago, Leon_Portier said:

I dont see what the PO2 can do, what cant do by a different aircraft better though

It can be of historical interest for example?

23 minutes ago, InProgress said:

I really wonder if it will be released alone without german counterpart, tho it would for sure come later. Or maybe there will be suprise and preorder will start with fi156 as well :rolleyes:

And I still wonder why aircraft should be released on one-to-one basis. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Leon_Portier said:

@Finkeren Thanks, its nice to see people are excited. Though, I just dont get why one wants it.

Above anything else, I want it because the Eastern Front just looks wrong without it. It was everywhere throughout the war, just as one can’t picture the US’, or really any allied nations, ground forces without the Jeep.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Leon_Portier said:

@Finkeren Thanks, its nice to see people are excited. Though, I just dont get why one wants it.

'cause it's a very iconic plane - a must have :)

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Leon_Portier said:

Iconic reliable plane with a nice motor sound. Lovely cute plane.

Perfect for sightseeing,

Perfect for low and slow

Perfect to add challenge vs fighters

Perfect for landing anywhere anytime

Perfect for doing missions under the hood

Perfect for doing missions under your wife's hood

Perfect for artillery spotting gameplay

Perfect for a night solo campaign 

Perfect for learning how to fly a plane to beginners before going with fighters or bombers

Perfect for changing pace if we have enough to do fighters or bombers

Perfect for doing light transport missions.

Perfect for teaching your kids / nephew to fly!

Perfect for finally taking your nap with level stabilisator on

Perfect for crop dusting

Perfect in your garden, for your wife, your grandmother, your grandfather,  the whole family!😉

Edited by 1./TG1_Nil
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 1./TG1_Nil said:

Iconic reliable plane with a nice motor sound. Lovely cute plane: Cute plane. Not enough reason for me to spend my money on it.

Perfect for sightseeing,: I can sightsee in my Spitfires, just fine

Perfect for low and slow: I've got ROF for that

Perfect to add challenge vs fighters: You've got to be kidding!

Perfect for landing anywhere anytime: And, you want to do that because...........

Perfect for doing missions under the hood: Under the hood? Again, you want to do that because..............

Perfect for artillery spotting gameplay: We can spot for the artillery in BOS?

Perfect for a night solo campaign: Fly around in the dark. You want to do that because....................................

Perfect for learning how to fly a plane to beginners before going with fighters or bombers: I assume they know how to fly a sim airplane if they're buying BOS...but okay

Perfect for changing pace if we have enough to do fighters or bombers: Why would you be flying this sim if you're tired of fighters and bombers. Xplane 11 is great, I hear.

Perfect for doing light transport missions.: Really? How much cargo can a PO-2 carry?

Perfect for teaching your kids to fly!: In a taildragging biplane. Want something easy? The FW190.

Perfect in your garden, for your wife, your grandmother, your grandfather,  the whole family!😉

:My wife can't wait for the release.

3 minutes ago, 1./TG1_Nil said:

Seriously though. Have fun if that's what you want.

5 minutes ago, Space_Ghost said:

A better proposition than droning on about shitty clickpits.

Lol!! I agree. It does get rediculous. It's like they're trying to wear them down. As though the devs are one day going to say, "All right..all right, already! Here's your damn clickable cockpits!" Or..."Here's your damn four engined bombers!".....etc.....

And who knows, it might be fun watching all those guys in thier 190's and 109's crashing into the hills while going low, looking for an easy kill on a PO-2!

I think this is going to be a great bird to fly in VR. I'm going to crop dust some of those lovely fields in Kuban ;)