Fang333333

The Future Of Il-2 Stalingrad?

If I've learned anything during my years on flight sim forums it is that snobbery and arrogance isn't simply an American trait. It's universal. Just as it is having a preference for what is familiar.

I too find myself feeling sheepish because the P-51 is by far and away my favorite WWII era fighter, just as the B-17 remains my favorite bomber. So much history. So many accomplishments in their careers. There wasn't an Air Force anyway in the world in 43-44 that didn't want the abilities in their own aircraft that these two planes processed.

I take a lot of the negative comments about the U.S. effort in WWII that I read here with a grain of salt. While there are some truly well versed people who can throw out a lot of stats, there aren't that many critical thinkers who can separate fact from opinion. Myself included. We know what we read and then we base our opinions on what we perceive as the truth.

I find it laughable when the term 'Muricans gets tossed out in posts here. As if there could be a single American "type" considering the multi cultural country we are. If anyone bases their opinions on a foreign land because of posts on a flight sim web page, then I'm fairly certain snobbery and arrogance with a touch of ignorance thrown in, are a common trait we all share.
If I've learned anything during my years on flight sim forums it is that snobbery and arrogance isn't simply an American trait. It's universal. Just as it is having a preference for what is familiar.*

*edited out double post

Edited by Rjel
  • Upvote 8

I was talking about MiG-3 Lovers, way to misunderstand. Well, anyways. 

As I said, the most interesting Scenarios in the West fit neatly into a 330x360km Rectangle around Aachen, Dunkirk, Arnhem, Bastogne and the Ardennes. 

Leningrad and Continuation War are also one Map. 

And any Map in which the Jap Army Air Force meets the R(enter letters of Choice here)AF and Flying Tigers 41-42 is fine by me. I'll be happy.

Would love to take a ME262 or ME163 for a spin in this sim.

At the end of the day I just love to fly, and BoX with VR is about as good as it gets. Which theater is less important to me than enjoying the new air frames that come along with them.

I don't really think 'Murican is a blanket term. I'm sure people use it to define a certain type of attitude much like the term Luftwhiner. Of course most of the axis flyers are fine people but there are those few very vocal Luftwhiners out there. The same can be said of any demographic. The world is full of people with good and bad attitudes. Not to mention moods. Sometimes you just may be catching the person on a particularly good or bad day.

• Upvote 1

And the ATAG Guys are working on the Med for all those who want it. 

And what about those that want it without having to rely on a flaky and out-dated engine? I rejected the idea of buying Cliffs when I was looking to get back into flight sims because of all the negative evaluations I saw. There's just no way that I am interested in taking a step backwards in flight sim technology.

• Upvote 3

And what about those that want it without having to rely on a flaky and out-dated engine? I rejected the idea of buying Cliffs when I was looking to get back into flight sims because of all the negative evaluations I saw. There's just no way that I am interested in taking a step backwards in flight sim technology.

I feel the same. Battle of Britain with this game engine would be hype central for me.

• Upvote 2

I wish one of the map mod guys could get the RoF channel map into BoX.

I wonder if a 3rd party team could update the map to a WWII timeframe with ease or if it would be easier to start from scratch. It is such a beautiful map the way it is now, but with the BOX improvements it  would be a stunner. I also think creative mission makers could get a lot of mileage out of it with the plane set we have now (and a couple choice collector planes could go a long way too).

I think that was ruled out by Jason... it wouldn't be possible.

• Upvote 1

I feel the same. Battle of Britain with this game engine would be hype central for me.

Need to convert the

109E-7 to 109E-4

110E to 110C

Ju87D to Ju87B

111H6 is fine

Ju88A is fine

Do17 would be nice.

Spitfire Mk. V to Mk I

Need a Hurricane Mk I

Fiat CR42 and Bolto Paul Defiant are the collector planes 

Done :)

Edited by PatrickAWlson
  • Upvote 1

The above would be relatively straightforward then, by the looks of things. Especially if it turns out to be possible to update the RoF channel map and port it across.

I would happily buy a Defiant as a collector plane and would probably fly it almost exclusively.

Or keep the setting as 1941-43 and instead of the risk ofcompeting with CloD and divinding the community, use the existing assets on the LW side and spend dev time on creating some mid-war RAF aircraft. With the Spitfire, Kittyhawk and Boston/Havoc (A-20) already there it wouldn't need much added - Mosquito and Hurricane would do.

Then the Commonwealth air forces will finally get represented and another potential market has been opened up.

• Upvote 1

Good visions here. Inspiring reading. Thanks ShamrockOneFive for the idea of Lite Editions !

Need to convert the

109E-7 to 109E-4

110E to 110C

Ju87D to Ju87B

111H6 is fine

Ju88A is fine

Do17 would be nice.

Spitfire Mk. V to Mk I

Need a Hurricane Mk I

Fiat CR42 and Bolto Paul Defiant are the collector planes 

Done :)

I'd pay good money for that. Sadly the CloD scene is not that great, and the whole engine has some severe technical debt that I doubt TF will be able to resolve (though they've done wonders already, to be clear).

• Upvote 1

262 as 499,99$ Collector Plane pls.

262 Dollar sounds more realistic.

• Upvote 1

I would happily buy a Defiant as a collector plane and would probably fly it almost exclusively.

That is the flight sim equivalent of "I like whips and chains" :)

Post Normandy West Europe wouldn't be all that bad.  Many interesting air frames from the Brits and US and much Ground Pounding giving tactical support to their respective ground forces.  Love a Tempest in the mix or at least a Typhoon.  Throw in a wooden wonder for fun.

Then there is the Jug. ))

Just make sure AA throws up a lot of fun at these types without the Sniper AA we have now.

I do wonder what happened to the Odessa map.

Yes. It's getting about that time again for more progress shots.

Post Normandy West Europe wouldn't be all that bad.  Many interesting air frames from the Brits and US and much Ground Pounding giving tactical support to their respective ground forces.  Love a Tempest in the mix or at least a Typhoon.  Throw in a wooden wonder for fun.

Then there is the Jug. ))

Just make sure AA throws up a lot of fun at these types without the Sniper AA we have now.

I would be SO excited if a Typhoon and/or Tempest showed up. I'm a huge fan of both of these types.

• Upvote 3

Battle of Kursk  Please  :rolleyes:  best battle of the whole war in the east and they always leave it out  :o:

Edited by r153

I would be SO excited if a Typhoon and/or Tempest showed up. I'm a huge fan of both of these types.

Yes please!

I was so disappointed with CLOD because the Defiant and the Avro Anson were not flyable...

Still hoping for Expansions around Leningrad and Murmansk. A Murmansk and Odessa were in development by an independent Party, but as of now I don't know what their status is.

A Po-2 is also under development independently.

I still want to see more early war stuff, Ju-87Bs and Rs, earlier iterations of the Yak-1 and LaGG-3, maybe even MiG-3. These would only have to be Sub-Theatres.

A Finnland Map would probably be the coolest though.

Or Burma Theatre, Flying Tiger P-40s and Ki-43s.

I just hope they don't go the Western Front Route. It's only inviting trouble by bringing in the worst kinds of Fanboys and it's gonna be utterly uninteresting for anyone but the Fighters. The Western Front would just result in a massive, boring Fighter Circlejerk around B-17 AIs, all around Airspawns at 7000m. Basically War Thunder.

Though: I can see the Battle of France as being Interesting, around the Ardennes, Bodenplatte around Bastogne, Air Action over Arnhem and even Dunkirk. All of that could fit in one Map.

And the ATAG Guys are working on the Med for all those who want it.

Can you just put “I hate America” in your sig and be done with it? All of your passive aggressive tripe is as boring as you try to make the Western front seem. There was tremendous action at the tactical level and that is indisputable.

America is also a vast untapped audience who would throw much needed dollars at this adventure we all share with the Devs. This sim doesn’t exist without the cooperation between two vastly different peoples working together. I for one appreciate the differences and cooperation.

I’m sorry you had a bad experience that one time with Americans but your constant spouting off and slagging an entire people is little different than any other prejudice one could name. And which you facietiously pretend to be against. We are a nation of vast differences. We can be both beautiful and terrible. Just as any other group of people can be. Just knock it TF off. It’s gotten old and it’s about time someone called you out on your misplaced sense of moral and national superiority.

• Upvote 8

Can you just put “I hate America” in your sig and be done with it? All of your passive aggressive tripe is as boring as you try to make the Western front seem. There was tremendous action at the tactical level and that is indisputable.

America is also a vast untapped audience who would throw much needed dollars at this adventure we all share with the Devs. This sim doesn’t exist without the cooperation between two vastly different peoples working together. I for one appreciate the differences and cooperation.

I’m sorry you had a bad experience that one time with Americans but your constant spouting off and slagging an entire people is little different than any other prejudice one could name. And which you facietiously pretend to be against. We are a nation of vast differences. We can be both beautiful and terrible. Just as any other group of people can be. Just knock it TF off. It’s gotten old and it’s about time someone called you out on your misplaced sense of moral and national superiority.

Hmmmm it's almost as if his lack of people skills is the problem....

On another note, I'd always wondered if the current IL-2 team under Jason would be willing to bring some of the members of the ATAG/TF crew onboard. I mean if the overall schedule for future releases can be shaved by two or three months thats potentially more profit. Of course I dont know the extensiveness of the TF/1C contract or how each of the two teams are fairing other than what Jason has given us. Maybe not since he plainly says money is tight but no doubt this studio sees potential in these professional modders. 

It's a mistake to saying these are small tweaks. This environmental re-work has taken a large effort of programmers, artists and even engineers and it's not done yet. Nothing we do is easy. We do what we can with the time and resources we have. Right now I have more artists than programmers and no money to hire more programmers or engineers which is what I need to do really big things I see some of your requesting over and over. As usual we get creative with our resources to make the sim better over time.

Jason 

Edited by Field-Ops

Wow, way to cook off. 

I said I didn't want any kind of Scenario involving Bomber interception because it would make no sense to actually have flyable B-17s, an thus all you would have are fighters. And because you can't have the Mustangs and B-17s fly for hours before reaching Luftwaffe Territory, it would require Airstarts. Consequently, what you End up with is basically Airquake. 

Also: that national Pride of yours, it does look inflamed. Should have it looked at. Probably best if just removed TBH. Doesn't help your intelligence in any way. 

• Upvote 1

I love Americans. My mother was American. Notwithstanding Canada being the greatest country on Earth, America is awesome

That said, I want the QMB to have a lot more meat on its bones. Every map and plane will benefit from that.

What I really want is to be able to set up good, immersive, missions in the QMB, then host that mission on my computer, without a dedicated server so that my friends can fly together.

That's what I want.

• Upvote 4

What I really want is to be able to set up good, immersive, missions in the QMB, then host that mission on my computer, without a dedicated server so that my friends can fly together.

That's what I want.

Fancy! That could be fun.

I do hope we get to see a QMB with populated airfields, friendly and enemy. That's a big one for me. A flightsim with ghost town airfields is just weird.

• Upvote 1

I see nothing wrong with national pride. I actually like to see it someone. I'm American and love the American planes. So what? I'm free to make that choice. So are you.

Just don't rag on me and my country and i'll do the same for you. Simple as that.

• Upvote 1

I'm American and love the American planes.

Indeed.

Would love to see this beauty in BOX quality.

american-lockheed-p-38-lightning-in-flig

• Upvote 2

Indeed.

Would love to see this beauty in BOX quality.

american-lockheed-p-38-lightning-in-flig

Mmmm.......this and a razor-back P47 and with whats still to come from BoK we've got a pretty good mediterranean plane set.  After Midway is released we'll 'just' need a map.......and perhaps a british carrier with the Spit mk. V turned into the SeafireIII ?

Add a couple of Italian aircraft for the Axis too and we're off! :salute:

Just to add to the topic, personally, I don't think IL-2 at this stage needs too much "future", by which I mean, I am most happy with the sim as is plus the recent updates on upcoming stuff (coop campaign, rain on canopy, viewing distance and of course La-5FN and G6 109). As soon as them new goodies arrive I can die a happy man. Somewhere in the future there is the Pacific theatre and I feel calm about that, I am sure it will be blast once released, but I actually fell in love with the Eastern Front over the years, so I can wait.

So without further ado, the only thing that I would love to see at least announced at some point would be a Korea setting - for me the perfect "in-between" scenario for old-school dogfighting with jets (none of that radiators and prop-pitch fiddling stuff), without having to spend years to learn avionics (Falcon is more that anyone could ever want to scratch that itch IMHO). Maybe someday, since it does seem logical, that the devs went from WWI to WWII and eventually early jet stuff.

On a side note, one thing I would pay insane amounts of money for, would be an expansion set in an alternative history/fictional time-line, something in the spirit of Interstate 76 or Crimson Skies (but realistic in the sense the planes would be a fly in a plausible manner), where we could assemble our own planes from parts (the upgrade system is already there), maybe have some sort of salvage/money mechanic like Mechwarrior games. Probably not many people from the community would be interested in that, but maybe as a spin-off to the series could attract some new folks etc.

But again, considering the state of the sim at this stage, it's actually the wet dream I had eons ago and here I am living it. My only gripe with the experience is... lack of high-end hardware widely available, the Warthog isn't really ideal considering the price. Thrustmaster keeps releasing new wheels to tap into that racing sim renaissance, and flight-simmers don't get treated to new goodies at all.

My only gripe with the experience is... lack of high-end hardware widely available, the Warthog isn't really ideal considering the price. Thrustmaster keeps releasing new wheels to tap into that racing sim renaissance, and flight-simmers don't get treated to new goodies at all.

There are some nice offerings from Virpil and VKB for high end sticks. I am especially fond of the Virpil stick, absolutely love mine, and they are showing renderings of an upcoming throttle as well.

Just to add to the topic, personally, I don't think IL-2 at this stage needs too much "future", by which I mean, I am most happy with the sim as is plus the recent updates on upcoming stuff (coop campaign, rain on canopy, viewing distance and of course La-5FN and G6 109). As soon as them new goodies arrive I can die a happy man. Somewhere in the future there is the Pacific theatre and I feel calm about that, I am sure it will be blast once released, but I actually fell in love with the Eastern Front over the years, so I can wait.

So without further ado, the only thing that I would love to see at least announced at some point would be a Korea setting - for me the perfect "in-between" scenario for old-school dogfighting with jets (none of that radiators and prop-pitch fiddling stuff), without having to spend years to learn avionics (Falcon is more that anyone could ever want to scratch that itch IMHO). Maybe someday, since it does seem logical, that the devs went from WWI to WWII and eventually early jet stuff.

On a side note, one thing I would pay insane amounts of money for, would be an expansion set in an alternative history/fictional time-line, something in the spirit of Interstate 76 or Crimson Skies (but realistic in the sense the planes would be a fly in a plausible manner), where we could assemble our own planes from parts (the upgrade system is already there), maybe have some sort of salvage/money mechanic like Mechwarrior games. Probably not many people from the community would be interested in that, but maybe as a spin-off to the series could attract some new folks etc.

But again, considering the state of the sim at this stage, it's actually the wet dream I had eons ago and here I am living it. My only gripe with the experience is... lack of high-end hardware widely available, the Warthog isn't really ideal considering the price. Thrustmaster keeps releasing new wheels to tap into that racing sim renaissance, and flight-simmers don't get treated to new goodies at all.

In the Q&A last year Jason (or was it Han) said that the team would be really interested in doing a Korea scenario but I know Jason did say that they are focused on WWII for now and really want to do that well before they look at other options. It's a never say never kind of thing.

There are some nice offerings from Virpil and VKB for high end sticks. I am especially fond of the Virpil stick, absolutely love mine, and they are showing renderings of an upcoming throttle as well.

Indeed! Anyone looking at sticks should at least investigate what both of these two are offering. My Gladiator Mark I is relatively cheap but its REALLY good and I know they are making mid to high end stuff too.

Just to add to the topic, personally, I don't think IL-2 at this stage needs too much "future", . . .

There are still two fundamental aspects of BOX that make the SP experience less than it could be; the anachronistic and joyless FMB, and the anemic QMB. The FMB might never be improved, so be it,  but to bring the QMB up a notch or two would reeeeally put the cherry on the cake.

This is a fantastic(!) flightsim, but it still feels a bit empty as far as player design input goes.