=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Apart from that, and some very weird server behaviour (stuck in mission screen aftre spawn, Heinkel without bombsight, invisible planes in Surovikino) it was interesting.

Check out new Han's post: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12826-game-updates/?p=334161 

Is there any possiblity that the tanks move? Static tanks are so....il2 46... :D

There is always a possibility :) We have been thinking about it and we will test it. 

Can you "close" or capture AF within mission?

Nope. Everything in the mission is static. Any changes are made between missions. 

Server is running with ~2h mission duration. There was a problem after new game patch but I found work around. Mission may load a bit longer now.

Edited by =LG=Kathon

You should try to make the mission itself dynamic.

So you can actually destroy AF within the Mission etc. (with movable tanks, mission has to be dynamic anyway)

Its already possible shown by 72AG Server.

Peskovatka airfield spawning Pe-35/87 on first spawn is to close to other objects get damaged instantly when move plane work correctly with smaller planes

Hello, 

Questions :
- Will you add the possibility to know how much time is left before the next mission ? So far the counter is not working.
- If you bail out or crash land on friendly territory, is there also the 5min penalty to respawn ? (time for the kübelwagen to bring you back to base) 

- Are you planning to add a bit more variety of ground target sets ?

- Will there be a few AI planes for filling empty hours ? Like 2x2 fighters on each side randomly patroling over defense lines

Random remarks :
- I like the server, and had a great time on it this afternoon
- The 5min respawn after death is nice. Not too long for me (just enough to go watch something on youtube :P ), it could even be raised a bit more.
- Flak hurts quite a bit on the defensive lines. Very risky to go there with less than 4 planes, which is good also.

1.Good
2.Bad,this is not arcade. Allow bombers and attack aircraft bombed and stay alive.
3.Good

Agree 100%

I also support the moving tanks column request from Hetzer

Thanks a lot for the time spent working on this project ! 

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

You should try to make the mission itself dynamic.

So you can actually destroy AF within the Mission etc. (with movable tanks, mission has to be dynamic anyway)

That would be cool :) Mission Editor is quite difficult in use, writing a script which generates mission file without using ME is much much harder. But we will try add dynamic things in the future.

Will the TAW server be online this evening at 9:00 PM EST and remain on over night for those interested in flying ?

If no errors, server updates or maintenance then TAW server is available 24/7.

Peskovatka airfield spawning Pe-35/87 on first spawn is to close to other objects get damaged instantly when move plane work correctly with smaller planes

Thx, we will fix it.

Questions :

- Will you add the possibility to know how much time is left before the next mission ? So far the counter is not working.

- If you bail out or crash land on friendly territory, is there also the 5min penalty to respawn ? (time for the kübelwagen to bring you back to base) 

- Are you planning to add a bit more variety of ground target sets ?

- Will there be a few AI planes for filling empty hours ? Like 2x2 fighters on each side randomly patroling over defense lines

1. Mission last ~2h now (it may change in future). You may check elapsed time at the taw.stg.de. ~2h - elapsed time = time left ;)

2. No. There is only death penalty for now.

3. Yes.

4. We will think about it, but AI increase CPU usage. 

That would be cool :) Mission Editor is quite difficult in use, writing a script which generates mission file without using ME is much much harder. But we will try add dynamic things in the future.

I think 72AG Server already has it, MAYBE you could ask them :P 

1. Mission last ~2h now (it may change in future). You may check elapsed time at the taw.stg.de. ~2h - elapsed time = time left ;)

What I meant was that this particular counter in the scoreboard :

2016-02-20_00001.jpg

It's working on most servers but on TAW it is stuck on 00:00

It is just a bit more convenient than check on the website  :)

On the death penalty, I take the risk of being insulted : but I would likely see a 4-5min kübelwagen penalty for bailing out or crash land in friendly territory and a full 8-10min penalty for death or being captured. 

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

On the death penalty, I take the risk of being insulted : but I would likely see a 4-5min kübelwagen penalty for bailing out or crash land in friendly territory and a full 8-10min penalty for death or being captured. 

Gruber, you are right. The same type of penalty was for bailing out or crash landing had server il21946, Mist of War. You was flying there ?

Kathon is working alone so just be aware he need to focus now on priorites and then try to implement rest of the features.

Later we need to figure out what time of penalties will be the best. I think voting for that can be the most fair solution.

Gents. 

Here, in the pool topic about the BoM planes, you can also find an example how the situation can look like with the planeset .

I would like to hear your opinion about the proposition for basic planes, extra planes, plane lines.

I really count on you ADW veterans ( but everyone is welcome to leave his logical comments ).

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/21100-bom-planes-taw-campaign/?p=334507

Just to be clear.

When making a proposition just think twice about all the factors, all the technical data. 

Try to put yourself in a cockpit of both planes. 

Try to think how can look a combat of those 2 planes.

Do they have enough advatages?

Just not engage, runaway from combat or outturn, outclimb the enemy?

The last thing I want is to create another flame war about the planeset.

Is there any possiblity that the tanks move? Static tanks are so....il2 46... :D

Sorry, I must defend good old IL2-1946 here: Tanks and everything was absolutely able to move there .....

I think 72AG Server already has it, MAYBE you could ask them :P

Well I know more or less how to do it in ME. Writing a script which do the same takes a lot more of time. There are many other thinks right now to do. 

What I meant was that this particular counter in the scoreboard :

2016-02-20_00001.jpg

It's working on most servers but on TAW it is stuck on 00:00

In those servers mission duration is set once in DServer application and is always the same. After mission end DServerloads automatically next mission.

In TAW server we have script which ends the mission, (mission duration is set in the script and it's always different)  so DServer doesn't know when will be the end of the mission. 

TO-DO:

1. Increase duration of the mission to 2 hours. (2h~2h:20m)?

2. Add info on the chat or screen about ground units being attacked. You will know then where is the action and who needs air support.

3. Add separate spawn point on airfields for bombers only. 

1. Agree

2. Disagree

3. Agree

As far as 2 IMO this creates a disincentive for bombers.  The following may be better options.  Some servers show this information but only to the friendly side and/or a delayed message (not in chat) will show at the top of the screen saying that a sector is under attack.

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95

Another AAR from this morning, dispatches from your friendly neighbouring LaGG-3 IAP.

As it was, the front had changed pretty quick and in terrible fashion for the Red Army unfortunately. While we were holding Fritz well in the north, our lines all the way from Kalach to Peskovatka had been blown to bits, leaving our regiment's airfield only a few kilometres away from the front line. Shelling and gunfire were the soundtrack, and to add to the injury if an aircraft either crashed short on approach or stalled on the go around, the crew risked falling captive. But of course, "the enemy has the same weapons, but he doesn't know the Russian bayonet".

Army scouts had notified us of an armoured column travelling from Ryumino-Krasnoyarsky towards the front right by our airfield. Our defenses were in a dire state as it were, and it was obvious that the infantry would not be able to hold fresh German armour coming onto them. The flare flew from the CP and I headed in. The regiment's commander was in a bad mood of course and he kept it decidedly brief.

"Kuznetsov, your aircraft is ready for take-off, the mechanics loaded some rockets under your wings. Go up there, find this damn convoy and blow it to bits. The ShAP will send a pair of their Shturmoviki up as well to finish the job. Locate the enemy, destroy it and if you have ammunition and fuel left proceed with the Hunchbacks to strafe troop concentrations near Kalach. Not one car or tank makes it out of that road alive, and not one Il-2 must fall. Now get out of my face."

Sure enough I went, taking off and heading straight down the road the convoy was spotted at. Reaching the target area, undisturbed by the Luftwaffe, I started circling and going up and down tree lines trying to find the Panzers but no joy. It was not until I flew even lower than the trees that the convoy appeared to my left. First part done, and I communicated this to the CP, proceeding to attack with rockets and strafing. The trees surrounding it made the task complicated enough, and out of six rockets and multiple salvos of 23mm fire only one truck caught fire. Very well, this is why they refused my transfer to the Attack Aviation back in flight school. As I climbed out I saw a single Il-2 approaching from Peskovatka - so the ShAP came after all. I proceeded to circle the target to ensure the pilot knew where to hit, and sure enough he went around, lined up and made his first pass, dropping one bomb. Three seconds later a tank goes up in flames. The Il-2 climbs out, sharpens a turn and comes back again. Another bomb. Boom! After every two passes he did while I was checking for any 'company', I flew low over the target firing a burst at anything I could see and checking to see what was left. After he dropped all bombs, there was one single truck left, which the daunting Shturmovik blew up with his guns. I flew over the area once more and confirmed - all clear.

As instructed, we climbed out and headed to the West bank of the Don near Kalach to scare off Fritz and his friends. I flew over the Il-2 but insofar we were alone. As we approached the target, we were hailed by a curtain of fast and heavy flak popping all around. Somehow we weren't hit, but it was hard to fly even near it. We split in two directions to drag the flak around, and the Il-2 went in first as I lined up for a pass.

As I prepared however, I was greeted by a terrible surprise - another aircraft approaching level near the Shturmovik! Son of a-! I slammed the RPM and throttle forward and headed straight towards them. I thought I was late, too late! The pesky Bf-110 lined up for a shot, entering straight behind the Il-2, and opened fire. I saw a puff from the Il-2's wing, and I could imagine my komesk Vladimir Ivanovich screaming me off my boots as soon as I landed. However, I underestimated my attack pilot comrade...

The Il-2, having dropped its load of bombs and without any rockets, broke hard left. The -110, which now I saw was carrying multiple 250kg bombs, followed. What Herr Fighter didn't expect was the Il-2 pulling hard on the stick to bleed speed, then stepping on the rudder and throwing the stick to the right as the Bf-110 overshot! Immediately the -110 was right in front of the Shturmovik, who promptly fired multiple bursts that hit Fritz hard. I approached them in time to witness the chase, but the Il-2 was handling the situation well. I pulled up to stay above and right, as the -110 started dropping its bombs hoping to hit either of them. The -110 broke right headed East and I lost sight of the Il-2, but with no other contacts in sight I felt prompted to bring the -110 down before it could do any damage so I dived on it. My 23mm gun and 12.7mm UBS made quite a few holes in the Fritz, and even though it tried to drop bombs to catch me in its wake I was going up and down to fire at him without the gunner pestering me. Eventually that bloody Bf-110 crash-landed smoking near its airfield, and I figured it was time to go home. I surely didn't have enough ammunition to handle anyone else, so to hell with that.

Climbing up to 1000m, I looked around but there was no Il-2 in sight. The squadron and the regiment commander will kill me, of course. I better pray that Il-2 is already home or else I will be very short of excuses. As I passed over the destroyed column we worked on, I rolled around to check my six and sure enough there was a contact. Large wingspan, lower, and pretty slow. Could it be...? I turned around with some care, keeping my altitude and speed, then dove past the mysterious aircraft - yes, yes, he's alive! The old trusty Il-2 was flying, in one piece, and headed home. I flew a covering pattern over the Hunchback and waited until he was on clear final. No 109s or 110s came to bother us. As he touched down and slowed down the runway, I felt prompted to fly over him and do a roll over the airfield. We'd done good.

As I came in for my own landing, it was a little rough but except for a cracked wingspan the aircraft was in good order and I taxied back to the apron.

"Comrade Major, mission accomplished, column spotted and destroyed!"

"Congratulations, LIeutenant Kuznetsov. I hear you shot down a -110 as well?"

"I helped, sir, shared with the Il-2!"

...so in honour of this excellent sortie, if you guys ever sketch up a way to write down shared kills, please award one Bf-110 from me to the Shturmovik ace Cheburator, for impressive bombing accuracy, and by far the best reversal of a situation I have seen in years :salute:

• Upvote 2

-snip-

I should have looked more carefully before engaging, I thought you were flying a second IL2 and didn't expected your 23mm catching me that fast  :P

A fun afternoon nicely put in words !

S!

In those servers mission duration is set once in DServer application and is always the same. After mission end DServerloads automatically next mission.

In TAW server we have script which ends the mission, (mission duration is set in the script and it's always different)  so DServer doesn't know when will be the end of the mission. 

Ok I understand. Thanks for clarifying that !

You put up a nice fight Gruber, and after all you ditched near your airfield so you didn't even need a Kübelwagen to drive home :biggrin:

To be honest I went home feeling heavy because I thought Cheburator had bought the farm because of you or perhaps the flak - there was this plume of smoke from one of your bombs which I assumed to be the Il-2. Those bombs gave me a good bit of turbulence once which is why I climbed up! Had I been a little more distracted the timing was spot on to blow me up :)

A call to all VVS pilots: the situation is pretty bad at the front (see map here), whoever is looking for some intense MP action hop on the Tactical Air War server and get targeting instructions from other VVS pilots online, this is a last ditch effort so all hands are needed.

Too late tovaritch !  :drink2:

A few things :

- It seems that we won the war (no allies cities left in the list, despite one still being shown red on the map), server went offline.

- You may want to check the records from this morning, in the switch beetween the mission from ~6-8am UTC to ~8-10am UTC, one tank convoy (in 347) was destroyed (a single T34 left) but reappeared next round with 3 tanks and one M4 truck on the same location. All other tank column (german and russian) didn't move at all. But the map updated since a new red defense line appeared.

- AAA on defense line seems to be weaker since saturday (less M4 and no 37mm on the two I attacked). Is this randomly generated or a voluntary decrease of its strength ?

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

AXIS WON!

Thanks for all for participating in this test. We have a lot of data to analyze. Several bug and issues must be fixed. We also try to improve tanks convoys spawn mechanizm and add new features.

• Upvote 2

Yay ! 

Look forward to see the server back online as soon as possible. I really enjoyed it !

Good luck to get through all the data collected.

:salute:

• Upvote 1

Nice server to play ; thank you guys.

Only one issue for me : graphics ar not as good as usual on others servers. I can't see any house down there in the villages. Is that normal ?

Ready to play again :)

Touch, that happens because the mission designer didn't load the proper templates or something like that - see the answer by one of the SYN guys on the thread for the latest update. That could have been either a choice for better performance or they just forgot.

Thanks Mutley,

We are working on the next map right now. Also adding new features: closing airfield by destroying it's supplies and new supply convoys. I hope we will finish it in 2 weeks.

• Upvote 1

Can you make possible to register squads on your website??

We will try to add it later because don't have enough people and free time right now.  

We are coming back with new version of TAW server!! Start 24.03.2016 19:00 UTC

What's new:

1. We added new map so to win campaign your side will have to win two maps in a row now.

2. Front line airfields have ground object (hangars, fuels, static planes). You may close enemy airfield by destroying it. Check on the taw.stg2.de or mission brief if target airfield has ground object in the current mission (no info about damage = no objects;   0% or more damage = ground objects exists).  Ground objects on airfields look like this 3x(3xhangars, 3xfuels,3xstatic planes) + 15AAA

af.jpg

3. New supply convoys. If defense or airfield is severely damage friendly city sends supply convoy to it. You should destroy enemy supply convoys.

4. There are two spawn points on each airfield: one for bombers BSP and one for fighters FSP (Bombers/Fighters Spawn Point). They are very close to each other on the airfield so you have to zoom in the map. 

5. Weather: wind and seasons added. Depending on the date there will be change in season to summer, autumn or winter during the campaign.

6. Number of survived trucks in tank convoy affect new defense level after capturing the city/airfield. Defense positions are stronger now so if intact they can destroy 2-3 tanks convoys. You should attack enemy defense position/airfields and protect friendly columns and friendly defense positions.

Good luck!

Bump!
Yup, we are slowly rolling for the 2nd test flight.

So fasten your seat belts and grab your mighty sticks.

Brace yourself. OstFront is coming!!! :D

Edited by =LG=Blakhart
  • Upvote 1

I'm ready to move the line westwards this time, last time we were retreating, retreating and retreating until we ran out of land.

This time, not one step back :russian_ru:

Looking forward to the relaunch!