=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

One question if you took off from your airfield and when you return( maybe damaged or almost lost in the map) land in a different generic airfield placed in your territory (for exs if you fly Axis, you land in no blu base but in every else)...do you loose the plane ?

For now you don't lose a plane if you land on your airfields. 

Will the server run 24/7?

Yes.

For now you don't lose a plane if you land on your airfields. 

Yes.

Oh boy it is ON like DONKEY KONG!!!

Oh man - am I dreaming .... this sounds lilke the old good ADW!! I will be there with a couple old eighballs.

See you all, especially ADW veterans, in the virtual skies!

Question: Is it mandatory to have BOM (with Rata, Ee7 etc.) to fly this campaign ?

For now all planes (BOS and BOM) will be available, so you don't need to have BOM to take part in the TAW server test.

Like Padre said. Now campaign is just a test, not realted to any historical one.

But sooner or later we will be forced to use BoS planes because of the issues connected with limited planeset and balance.

Great to see such feedback guys :D

In my opinion TAW is the first real tournament since old time in Il2 first years 2000.

Such kind of game contain the real soul of the sim...so we have to help the team organizing TAW in the best way we can..

SHARE THE VOICE guys !!!!

The 4./JG52 is looking forward to flying within the TAW arena soon. This will be a major plus for all those organized squads involved.

• Upvote 1

What is the TAW ?

Tactical Air War is a online PvP campaign on IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad platform.
You can choose one side of the conflict:
Red -  Voyenno-Vozdushnye Sily - Russian Air Forces

Blue - Luftwaffe - German Air Forces

And take part in the conflict as a fighter or bomber pilot.

The goal fo each campaign will be capturing the map, destroying all of the enemy planes or airfields or the resources.

Although the air forces have domination on the battlefield, the land still need to be captured by the ground forces like in real war.

So no matter how many planes you will destroy and how good streak you will have you still gonna loose when you let your enemy wipe out  your poor brothers in arms in trenches & tanks.

The idea of TAW was drawn from the ADW, Air Domination War - probably the best & hardest online war in IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 game.

Our goal is to keep the idea of the ADW, implement all the good elements, rules & logic with avoiding bad sides of that project.

What days you want to play the campaign?

Every day is a good day to die - 24/7 from now on.

However originaly ADW had the minimal number ( called quorum ex. 5-5, 10-0) of players on server to activate the parser and count all the actions to avoid situation when small ants are wining the map alone when most of the players sleep well. This vital concept is not implemented for the time being and depends on number of players participating.

What version I need to play ?
At this moment you need to have only standard IL-2:BoS but... If we want to balance the teams and use the limitations we will definitly soon need a BoM and others... ;) Battle of England, Battle of France, Battle of Afrika and so on! Everything in devs hands!

How I can participate ?
When entering server for the first time mind that choosing red or blue side is going to register you as either VVS or Luftwaffe pilot for the length of the test campaign.

Remember!!!
After that you will be kicked when joining opposite side!

Later in the regular campaign we have in plans to add registration on a website.

What is the difference between TAW and other online campaigns ?
TAW consist of several dogfight type missions (70-90 min.) played one after another like on all dogfight servers but what is so special, here YOUR EVERY ACTION CAN AFFECT THE NEXT MISSION!!!
Generator is counting every ground kill at the end of the mission and CREATES ANOTHER SORTIE WITH CHANGED TACTICAL SITUATION AND FRONT LINE.

It`s the only about being on the top of the stats at the end of the month.

Here you are really sacrificing your virtual life for the right cause and the final victory.

Yeah, stats, what about them?
Every pilot on WW II had his own pilot`s book in which he was logging every sortie he flew, time of the flight, kills and additional notes.

And they were competing as well like we in, video games.

So that`s why we think that statistics are necessary part of the gameplay and they improve  atmosphere.

However we want to use statistics also as a tool to persuade some stubborn players to care about their virtual lives so the most important factor for the highest position in the rank will be survivability. We would like to avoid situation when people spending half of their private life in front of the PC playing just badly are always "better" and on the top of the stats than people who fly from time to time but carefully, intelligently and with style.

This gonna be a historical campaign with historical planeset ?
Yes, we would like to create few historical campaigns on available maps.

Now we are on the test stage so so all mods and planes are available and we have only one map, but...

Our main goal is to balance the gameplay and keep the fair & equal conditions for both teams.

We all know how the World War II and their dogfights were looking from the books.

The virtual enviroment have own rights and factors, before you start to judge think a bit.

So about the balance of planeset and limitations...

Just think before you start your critic.

Can we kill most of the senior pilots and tacticans on the red side before the war starts like it has place in history? No.

Can we restrict usage of radio(TS) on the red side? No.

Should we register only one red experienced pilot per every 20 rookies ? No.

Can we decrease the skill of the blue pilots during the campaign to simulate Luftwaffe problems with training young bloods ? No.

So should we decrease the overall number of blue pilots on the server to keep the ratio of forces on the Eastern Front ? No.

So should we arm the red side in 10 x more planes than blue side ? No.

Can we implement the poor quality of the soviet planes or engine problems after few sorties ? No.

Finally, can we change the FM of some planes, which are flying "not so correctly" ? No... No...No...

What we need to do is to try to arm both sides with planes having advantages and for balancing them we will count factors like, top speed, climb rate, turn time, durability, armament, number of bullets, loadout,etc.

So can everyone come, write a post on forum and demand a changes ?
Nope...
We apreciate and respect only logical arguments so if you want to change something be sure we will ask:"Why?"

How much experience you have ?

What you are proposing ?

Show the evidence that those planes are not well balanced.

In the combat simulators and especially on the virtual wars you are usually killed because of the numerous disadvantage, own stupidity, greed, bad decisions, lack of experience, knowledge and lack of cold blood.

From our side we will do everything to keep the balance.
Remember this before trying to blame us for being partial   :) .

So what I should do when I join the mission?

First of all, check on the map on the server or on the website how the tactical situation looks.

Then choose to defend own targets or attack the enemy.

Even if you came here only for brainless dogfight, check where are the targets because in those places you have bigger chances to meet the enemy and die after 5 minutes of FURBALL defeated by the hordes ( usually 2 planes...) of the enemies.

How to win in the mission and capture the area ?

Terrain can be captured by the striking tank column.

To capture the city or airfield tanks have to reach them and win the battle against defence of the object if such one exist.

More tanks will survive, bigger chance for capturing the terrain and object.

Defence consist of anti tank guns and AAA. More of them will survive, bigger chance they will destroy tank column.

Undamaged defence can usually survive 1-2 attacks of a tank columns, so if you want to capture the area you MUST attack it.

After each mission defender position recives some small supplies.

If the defence is damaged and the tank column is in radius of 15 km from the airfield, it is closed and you can`t take off from there.

Shorter version:
Kill the enemy defence and defend own tanks.

Currently we are working on the supply columns, supplies, depots so there be a reason to make a strategic attacks with bigger bombers.

The AAA is too deadly, I can`t survive even one attack, if you will not change it, I`m not playing anyomore!!!

So you are saying this game is too hard for you??? ;) Then please find server for medium level players.

ADW was a place for the best, we hope to build TAW with the same spirit.

Before you come to forum with similar ask try to speak with old ADW veterans how strong was the AAA in the columns or depots...

It was a wall of bullets, hundreds of them flying directly in to your plane.

Lone attack was a suicide.

But just think... 

Did the pilots in WW II were flying alone on missions ( except recon ) ???
Here you need to understand one thing.

This is a not another place for freelancers.

Find the solution, attack in a bigger, organized groups.

There is a lot of things we would like to add and change but even the Rome wasn`t built in one day.
Give us some feedback on forum.

Report the bugs and problems.

Edited by =LG=Blakhart

Thanks for the FAQ Blakhart :)

On that note, I still keep my little sortie logbook with tactical drawings and such - much more reliable than any old stats program, though prone to underclaiming since you never know when that Stuka you holed up crashed into a tree.

Good luck, guys! Looking forward to the launch party.

Sounds definetly interesting, but I don't think it will manage to encourage much bomber flying, even though they seem to play a key role in driving the campaign forward.

We'll see how it goes...

Sounds definetly interesting, but I don't think it will manage to encourage much bomber flying, even though they seem to play a key role in driving the campaign forward.

We'll see how it goes...

Don't worry my friend. 

As Blakhart said, "The idea of TAW was drawn from the ADW".

A lot of minutes on climbing, a lot of minutes on horizontal preparation to the target, a lot of time on counting target and a lot of seconds for the dropped bombs.

In future we want to prepare special targets for bomber, horizontal pilots too :)

We have this type pilots in our team and we know how its important. 

Im drunk. apologize for my language.

Cheers :)

Hi is possible to add at stats a page with list top performer squads in matter of points gained?

Regards

For the test stage we can meet on:

-=LuftGangsta=- TS3 ( limited slots )

178.217.190.57:6420 

no pw

or

Official BoS TS3

8.3.5.133:9407

Rani, I think that the idea about squads statistic is very good, but not so fast. We still have much to do. Right now, let's focus on the tactical map, columns and supplies etc. 

What are the House Icons on the map? Yes it looks like a city but reds have 2 and blue only one?

What is it?

It's a city without airfield. There may be defense position or tanks convoy may advanced from it.

We limit number of players to 50 on the server. If server is stable and not overloaded we will increase it.

Edited by =LG=Kathon

S!

First test flight done. Ended in emergency landing :) .. But, it seems I have the 5min penalty, even when I didn't die. Bug or feature? Should I get some notification for the penalty, or is the Start button just grey?

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

After a looong time waiting to get on the Airfield, I killed 7 trgts on first flight and returned with everything broken and no more canopy :D (110) 

How do you attack a city?

Edited by I./JG21-HeTzeR

Fun is to be had here! Started outnumbered 20 x 1, but it evened out to a 2 x 1 ratio eventually. :)

First mission, armed recce, LaGG-3. Having the location of the enemy's offensive column, I went to check its type, number, exact position, AAA and so on.

Navigation was straightforward too, and the weather was unremarkable. Once I got close to the target area I made sure my landmarks were in check with the headings, and once I saw what I should be looking for I started loitering. Less than a minute later the convoy popped up to my right, and I made sure to update other Soviet assets on the situation as planned. When I was done, it was time to drop those 100kg eggs and let that 37mm cannon rip. My first pass is awful, I lined up poorly and dropped the bombs too late and without fusing them right, sending my LaGG-3 shaking all over the place as they exploded. I went around and pursued a guns run, but this too was not fruitful. On the climb out for my third pass, the AAA proves its worth and I hear a boom. I am wounded, with a slightly bloodied vision, some holes on my right wing but most importantly my cannon has been disabled and my engine starts acting up. I was warned about attacking solo of course, but in the face of excitement an armed recce can easily turn into a turkey shoot, only this time I was the turkey. With reduced RPM and keeping the engine nice and cool I started trucking to the nearest airfield. A big fat aircraft approached head-on from our lines, it was impossible to make out the type due to, well, the blood on the glasses and all that, but it remained passive and as I drew closer I saw one of our Il-2s heading to the area. Instinctively I gave the chap a heads up about the flak, hoping this pilot would fare better.

Now, I fortunately was not chased home by any hungry 109 or 190, and despite the damage the trusty M-105PF was holding a near-constant 2000RPM. It wasn't long until the runway popped up where it should be, and I prepared to land. Flaps, 30º of, check. Radiators still open since the engine wasn't cooling all that well. Landing gear down. Throttle was kept at about three-quarters open to compensate for the low RPM, just in case. Approach speeds were normal, starting at 250km/h and slowing down to 200km/h as the runway disappeared under my nose...

tumblr_o2riesWFJI1uw36jio1_1280.jpg

...180, 170, going well, first bounce, steady... until it wasn't.

tumblr_o2riesWFJI1uw36jio2_1280.jpg

...and then another crack.

tumblr_o2riesWFJI1uw36jio3_1280.jpg

I survived, I survived, of course. A few minutes with the regiment's doctor and I'm positive I'm good to go again. If the Komesk entrusts me an aircraft again, that is. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Personally I'm a little disappointed by the lack of coordination that was happening. As a fighter you can do fine alone but as a bomber / Ground attacker you're not coming far as I had to expirience twice in row.

Mission time seems a little short to me. During my firts mission (second server session?) I started from the northest german airfield in my Stuka to bomb the arty positions. Took me 30-40min alone to climb to 3500m. When finishing my second tank busting sorty (~30min) I just touched down in Surovikino when the server went over to the next mission.

I understand that 1h 30min is anough for some hot fighter engagements or maybe a single bombing run but my concern is that people attemting to fly in large bomber formation will have a difficult time with that short time limit (given they need to climb to save altitude to not fall victim to the strong AAA or enemy lawn movers).

Apart from that, and some very weird server behaviour (stuck in mission screen aftre spawn, Heinkel without bombsight, invisible planes in Surovikino) it was interesting.

• Upvote 2

Only few voices of critic ???  :ph34r:

We are waiting for the comments and bug reports.

But, it seems I have the 5min penalty, even when I didn't die
It`s probably well known bug with menu buttons. Sometimes you can`t push start or finish the flight. Not our fault, game problem.

By tank column. You have to clear the way for the tanks, kill the defence - AT guns so when tanks will arrive, poor folks will show the white flag.

Personally I'm a little disappointed by the lack of coordination that was happening.
Personally we are little amazed how you expect coordination while flying alone instead of cooperating on TS. :)
We were on LG TS making organized attacks on enemy lines. 

Mission time seems a little short to me
1. The situation on front line must be dynamic. Faster reload, dynamic action.
2. Longer mission, bigger mission, more actions, more problems with counting them. We are still on the early stage of project and have some problems with generator.

Thank you guys for the feedback!!!
Cheers!! :biggrin:  :yahoo:

From our personal conclusions:
- the AAA on defence lines is too strong, we will change AI skill
- we need to change some of the script logic
- we need option with basic and extra planes as soon as possible

Please, go for the poll topic and vote. :help:

It`s really important for us to know what you think about choosing the planest.
Edited by =LG=Blakhart

Just to get it straight I scamed threw all IL-2 and squadrom TS's I know of to check if people on the server were sitting in one of the channels and apart from you LGs guys there was absolutely nobody.

As result I have writte in chat where I'm going, where I am at, what heading and altitude, what target, ect. I don't expect everybody to read the chat but maybe some could try to do that when not engaged in action.

Again, you have a much easier time to grab a fighter and fly solo. Which is what I fear this server will become all about in time.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

Thanks to all of you for joining the server. Several bugs were revealed. Not all log files were analyzed after missions so your statistics are unfortunately incomplete and unreliable. It's been fixed. Keep in mind that AirKills and GroundKills are counted only if you are alive at the end of your sortie.

You may also have noticed that second mission looked exactly the same as the first one. Tanks convoys didn't move. There was a condition that if you destroy more than 9 vehicles in a convoy it's damaged and doesn't move in the next mission. We will change it and damaged convoys will move about 5-10km forward. Normal speed is 20-27km per mission.

After third mission the script stopped due to unexpected error. As soon as we fix it server will be available and run next mission (unfortunately it will not be connected with the previous one because not all date are saved)

Good think is that performance of the server was good so we may increase pilots slots and add more objects in the future.

TO-DO:

1. Increase duration of the mission to 2 hours. (2h~2h:20m)?

2. Add info on the chat or screen about ground units being attacked. You will know then where is the action and who needs air support.

3. Add separate spawn point on airfields for bombers only. 

But, it seems I have the 5min penalty, even when I didn't die. Bug or feature? Should I get some notification for the penalty, or is the Start button just grey?

Death penalty is a DServer option. If start button has number in brackets counting down it means you have death penalty. If the start button is gray without number it is a game bug or maybe there aren't free spawn points at this airfields, I'm not sure.

If city is attacked it may generate defense position, so you should destroy anti-tanks artillery in this defense position.

Edited by =LG=Kathon

Only critic so far would be the long waiting time for AF spawn....

maybe show the Number of People on each AFC( I know the otherside will know where to go then) Or maybe find a way to show it in chat if you are trying to spawn and the AF is full.

Another thing: I spawned with a 190 but didnt really spawn...and then chose a 110..in stats it says I excited Midflight..no death or disco but smth to look into ;)

Is there any possiblity that the tanks move? Static tanks are so....il2 46... :D

TO-DO:

1. Increase duration of the mission to 2 hours. (2h~2h:20m)?

2. Add info on the chat or screen about ground units being attacked. You will know then where is the action and who needs air support.

3. Add separate spawn point on airfields for bombers only. 

1.Good

2.Bad,this is not arcade. Allow bombers and attack aircraft bombed and stay alive.

3.Good

Thank you for this server, I spend there over three hours yesterday with my Finnish squadmates! :salute:

We noticed this: We destroyed almost the whole tank column TWICE on the road 489/4, for ex. there was only ONE tank left when the second mission stopped. In the next (third) mission the column was moved to 453/3 and it was full sized again! So only tank column's coordinates has changed about 8 kilometers to the North East and that's all. 

Edited by LLv32_Kanttori

1.Good

2.Bad,this is not arcade. Allow bombers and attack aircraft bombed and stay alive.

3.Good

Agree on all of these points. If you must have some kind of alarm, build some trigger system that sends alarm about ground unit being attacked. In addition, communication lines might not work properly, so there could be some delay for the alarm.

We noticed this: We destroyed almost the whole tank column TWICE on the road 489/4, for ex. there was only ONE tank left when the second mission stopped. In the next (third) mission the column was moved to 453/3 and it was full sized again! So only tank column's coordinates has changed about 8 kilometers to the North East and that's all. 

It's all correct. After second mission this convoy has been destroyed (there was info in mission brief) and the new one appeared in 453/3 advancing from Verh. Tsaritsinsky to Gromoslavka. I will update mission briefing about new convoys.

maybe show the Number of People on each AFC( I know the otherside will know where to go then) Or maybe find a way to show it in chat if you are trying to spawn and the AF is full.

Another thing: I spawned with a 190 but didnt really spawn...and then chose a 110..in stats it says I excited Midflight..no death or disco but smth to look into ;)

Hello mate,

You can see the number of players on friendly AFs by moving your mouse over it.

I think the spawn bug is related to game/server. If that happens you press twice esc and then select Spectate and you will appear on your plane ;) Only drawback after this is that the compass on your monitor low left corner does not work but you still have plane compass to use. This trick does not work 100% but in most cases it does.

Edited by LeLv8_Otto