=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Bro, one I aint old and two this has zero to do with age, its called being respectful to other players. "Back in the old days, the 2000's when I was growing up......" The problem is players think this is the norm in IL2 because theyre coming from WT or from an FPS, go try Cliffs of Dover online servers, where you get banned temporarily for being a duche, and permanantly for repeat offenses. Its like night and day, and I cant stand Clod.

my apologies. my attempt at humour appears to have been missed

• Upvote 1

Not to nitpick, but we seem to have time-traveling Panzer IVGs assisting in the assault on Moscow in Fall of '41.

58 vs 15.

I'm out.

Yeah, I can't fly when it's like that either. The only allied aircraft I like to fly is the La-5 but that is only later in the campaign so I just stay out of the server until US night hours when it gets more balanced. Alternatively, if you don't mind flying other VVS aircraft, just switch sides (you can have 02 pilot accounts with different names) ...

Wait until comes tonight. German have only 2:1 advantage.  Then Rodina strike back.

All of a sudden, during a match, I couldn't start in any aircraft. Pressed START, loaded for maybe 15-20 seconds, then back at map screen without being able to take off. The SPECTATE-trick didn't work either. Tried to reconnect to server, but after the loading bar completes I'm thrown back to the main menu.

Have I been banned, or is there some other weirdness?

So the server tipped over from too much weight on one side :)

Yeah, I expected one such comment coming in: "Actually - switch sides!". I pre-emptively checked whether 57 vs 16 would make a difference. I have to report, unfortunately, that it didn't do anything!  :blink:

server crashed a few hours ago and it hasnt come back online (the capaign seems to advance in the page but you cant join the server)

So the server tipped over from too much weight on one side :)

Yeah, I expected one such comment coming in: "Actually - switch sides!". I pre-emptively checked whether 57 vs 16 would make a difference. I have to report, unfortunately, that it didn't do anything! :blink:

Well if everybody on the axis side gives excuses to not join the VVS, like you and I, there will never be balance. You can keep saying it wont do anything and continue flying axis and complaining or you can switch when balance is needed. If I had at least the p40 I would join VVS but I cant buy it right now cause Im buying as much water and food as I can in preparation for Hurricane Irma that is going to hit us sunday. Perhaps then and if I still have a place to live, we can join VVS and make a difference together? Edited by 4./JG52_Riksen

Well if everybody on the axis side gives excuses to not join the VVS, like you and I, there will never be balance. You can keep saying it wont do anything and continue flying axis and complaining or you can switch when balance is needed. If I had at least the p40 I would join VVS but I cant buy it right now cause Im buying as much water and food as I can in preparation for Hurricane Irma that is going to hit us sunday. Perhaps then and if I still have a place to live, we can join VVS and make a difference together?

Good luck Riksen, that you will not lose your house :)

• Upvote 1

Well if everybody on the axis side gives excuses to not join the VVS, like you and I, there will never be balance. You can keep saying it wont do anything and continue flying axis and complaining or you can switch when balance is needed. If I had at least the p40 I would join VVS but I cant buy it right now cause Im buying as much water and food as I can in preparation for Hurricane Irma that is going to hit us sunday. Perhaps then and if I still have a place to live, we can join VVS and make a difference together?

Ha well said. And good luck with Irma, I hope she goes back out to sea.

19// is flying Axis this campaign, after spending most of our time on the understaffed Allies for the past year. I feel sorta bad about it, but we put our time in, and it's really nice to fly some 109s for a change. I can't blame the guys for deciding to go Axis just this once.

There's also only 10 of us. Maybe you SAC boys should try flying Allies for a bit? There's a ton of you, after all. I know there's a SAC VVS unit in the works, but I'm not holding my breathe after last time, maybe the 30 of you should go fly some I-16s? Worst part of flying Axis is missing my lovely Ishak...

Which brings up the fact that maybe part of the early TAW imbalance has to do with the plane set, as you mentioned. Maybe part of the imbalance has to do with the BOM-only plane set for VVS on the first map? (I think at least, maybe I missed a BOS plane in there...)

• Upvote 1

Ha well said. And good luck with Irma, I hope she goes back out to sea.

19// is flying Axis this campaign, after spending most of our time on the understaffed Allies for the past year. I feel sorta bad about it, but we put our time in, and it's really nice to fly some 109s for a change. I can't blame the guys for deciding to go Axis just this once.

There's also only 10 of us. Maybe you SAC boys should try flying Allies for a bit? There's a ton of you, after all. I know there's a SAC VVS unit in the works, but I'm not holding my breathe after last time, maybe the 30 of you should go fly some I-16s? Worst part of flying Axis is missing my lovely Ishak...

Which brings up the fact that maybe part of the early TAW imbalance has to do with the plane set, as you mentioned. Maybe part of the imbalance has to do with the BOM-only plane set for VVS on the first map? (I think at least, maybe I missed a BOS plane in there...)

I'm signed up for the allies but as I don't have BOM (just the P-40) I wasn't able to fly in the first map as the P-40 wasn't available straight away.  Looking at the missions now, the only aircraft available for me now is a PE-2 87 but only as a transport - of which there are none on the map.

Maybe there are others in the same position so when the maps change from Moscow the allies might get a boost in numbers.

It has made me wish I had the spare cash to buy BOM but unfortunately that's not the case at the moment.  Maybe I'll treat myself near by birthday coming up!

• Upvote 1

I'm signed up for the allies but as I don't have BOM (just the P-40) I wasn't able to fly in the first map as the P-40 wasn't available straight away.  Looking at the missions now, the only aircraft available for me now is a PE-2 87 but only as a transport - of which there are none on the map.

Maybe there are others in the same position so when the maps change from Moscow the allies might get a boost in numbers.

It has made me wish I had the spare cash to buy BOM but unfortunately that's not the case at the moment.  Maybe I'll treat myself near by birthday coming up!

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing VVS get Il-2 1942 to see if it helps the early-campaign imbalance, despite it being obviously ahistorical. My other thought would be LaGG, but that would put Germs in a bad spot with only E-7s and Macchis I think.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing VVS get Il-2 1942 to see if it helps the early-campaign imbalance, despite it being obviously ahistorical. My other thought would be LaGG, but that would put Germs in a bad spot with only E-7s and Macchis I think.

Right, and it's already hard enough fighting I-16's with E-7's. 

To be completely honest, I do miss my wonderful VVS attack aircraft.  There are more wings littered across Russia from me getting shot down (always a one hit kill too) by AAA and losing the wing.  I don't think I have taken a hit from AAA and not immediately died by wing loss.

It's getting to the point where I'm starting to wonder what is going on.  On the VVS side you can feasibly attack a target by yourself.  Just get your speed high and be smart.  On the Axis side I don't feel like it's possible to attack a target unless you have a actual flight.  And even then the losses will be heavy.  Is the VVS AAA rated higher than the Axis AAA?  It's just such a stark difference in the ground attack aspect between the two sides that I can't reason why it's such.

Starting to understand why the Axis like to fly at 6km and only bomb factories and airfields.

Edited by 19//p3zman
  • Upvote 3

On some other server I can't recall the name of, there seemed to be a balance feature going on. If 5 people were on one side and 10 on the other, it would not allow you to join the larger team.

Unless I dreamt this, and there really is such a feature in DServer, have you admins decided not to use this? Or is it something yet to be considered?

I absolutely love taw as it is. And flying 1:2 is just fine for me. But the server is getting very popular evening hours and it's a shame every JG_Scw4rzeRTod stacks blue so much so that red pilots can't even get in.

This would not forbid people to fly their favorite aircraft. Only to stack teams and fill up the server when balance is more than 2:1.

Edited by a_radek

26-7

But Red :). It happens both ways in different time zones.

Holey moley, your right. Still, would it not be a good solution, both ways, to avoid the server filling up with much too uneven teams.

Edited by a_radek

Ya, Kondor, every now and then the numbers will fall in favor of the Soviet team. But you are mad if you deny that more often than not the numbers favor the German team and very quite badly at that. It'd be nice if more people would suck it up and do their part to balance the teams.

• Upvote 1

What about the last TAW?  The Allies outnumbered the Axis virtually the whole time.  Only on Map 1 did the Axis have more pilots on average.  The 19// usually spends every waking moment flying Allies, including in every previous TAW but one, so while I generally hate unbalanced teams, I can't help but think what curiousGamblerr said:

19// is flying Axis this campaign, after spending most of our time on the understaffed Allies for the past year. I feel sorta bad about it, but we put our time in, and it's really nice to fly some 109s for a change.

So, I'd say it's time for some new blood on the VVS side for a change.  Honestly however, it seems the US time zone is more evenly balance than the other time zones this TAW.  Maybe that is because the western community actually talks about this stuff here?

• Upvote 1

Here is the chart from the last TAW for reference.

Note: Data points pulled every 5 minutes - All times are USA Eastern.

post-24105-0-11763600-1504806341_thumb.png

Here is the chart for the current TAW campaign.

Note: Data points pulled every 5 minutes - All times are USA Eastern.

post-24105-0-96056800-1504806573_thumb.png

Edited by [TWB]Pand-
  • Upvote 4

For me since 3 campaigns I'm flying with 2 accounts. One VVS for low numbers on this side as 57.GIAP and 4./JG52  with my squad for event in EU times.

• Upvote 4

I was a big supporter of the two accounts thing when first proposed, but it definitely diminished some of what makes TAW so special. I appreciate you guys taking one for the team tho, and hope more people follow suit. I'm sure I'll be back on Allies next campaign (and probably the one after that...)

• Upvote 1

TBH I think I might go VVS next time, I need to train my self for MEC with the pacific upcoming plus I'll get to fly the beautiful Yak 1b 

I was a big supporter of the two accounts thing when first proposed, but it definitely diminished some of what makes TAW so special. I appreciate you guys taking one for the team tho, and hope more people follow suit. I'm sure I'll be back on Allies next campaign (and probably the one after that...)A

I feel the same about diminishing some of what is TAW and it's why I didn't flew with two accounts before. And most of the times was to shy to fly AXIS when we outnumber them so was flying on another server. 

But doing that I was losing fun of TAW too much so the only perspective was to fly on some campaign only VVS. Like I did but was missing to fly with my squad too. So I made two accounts and even with the drawback, I've gain more pleasure in flying two sides then not at all.

• Upvote 1

Balance doesn't have to be about numbers balance

There are other options

. When it gets worse than 2:1 the underdog side could get a bonus aircraft or a starter next tier ac

The success threshold of objectives could be made smaller for the lower pop side

Number of cms needed for a new a.c. could be made 2 instead of 3. So on so forth

Edited by =WFPK=chappyj

This community has the same discussion every campaign. It's unfortunate for sure, but at some point you just have to understand that system fixes will only hide the issue, and probably temporarily.

Right, and it's already hard enough fighting I-16's with E-7's. 

To be completely honest, I do miss my wonderful VVS attack aircraft.  There are more wings littered across Russia from me getting shot down (always a one hit kill too) by AAA and losing the wing.  I don't think I have taken a hit from AAA and not immediately died by wing loss.

It's getting to the point where I'm starting to wonder what is going on.  On the VVS side you can feasibly attack a target by yourself.  Just get your speed high and be smart.  On the Axis side I don't feel like it's possible to attack a target unless you have a actual flight.  And even then the losses will be heavy.  Is the VVS AAA rated higher than the Axis AAA?  It's just such a stark difference in the ground attack aspect between the two sides that I can't reason why it's such.

Starting to understand why the Axis like to fly at 6km and only bomb factories and airfields.

Have Axis the 110 as an option in your planeset?  If so, add some under armour to it for ground pounding.  Should make life a bit easier against aa.

I must admit, after some poor ground attack flying by myself and running out of rides for VVS, I moved to the Finnish Server. It was great loading up and doing morning ground attacks on German forces. Sun slowly rising, aa seemed asleep and when the spots were taken out aa was useless.

It was a nice feature. At first I thought starting up in the dark, it would suck but I found my way and had fun. Something to consider for TAW too.

Now I just have to stop trimming pine trees with my wings when attacking ground convoys in TAW. Being grounded not the best )

Hi ! thanks for your job. it's a very fun server!! good job  :happy:

I like the different weather!! 

Edited by OBT-Cade

I've been having a stellar time with the VVS so far. I'm only really good enough to bomb stationary targets (airfields and factories) in IL-2s and Peshkas, but I find it pretty thrilling. AA can be a nightmare though if you're not in and out quickly.

The strange thing is though (and this is likely more luck than anything) I am very rarely intercepted when attacking these targets despite the usual Axis disparity in numbers. Maybe I just pick the right camouflage?

I've been having a stellar time with the VVS so far. I'm only really good enough to bomb stationary targets (airfields and factories) in IL-2s and Peshkas, but I find it pretty thrilling. AA can be a nightmare though if you're not in and out quickly.

The strange thing is though (and this is likely more luck than anything) I am very rarely intercepted when attacking these targets despite the usual Axis disparity in numbers. Maybe I just pick the right camouflage?

Well typical hot spots are going to be around primary objectives

fighters planning their routes will usually congregate or patrol between those.

when you hit enemy airfields, particularly if they have not recently come under attack and are not near the front line, you will usually find them pretty much undefended. I like this because when you do come up against enemy action, its usually just one or two, and not the whole Gibbering Horde ;)

• Upvote 1

Message for all the VVS pilots... :russian_ru: ...PROTECT OUR TRUCKS !!!.....we will lose again because of it... :o:

Well typical hot spots are going to be around primary objectives

fighters planning their routes will usually congregate or patrol between those.

when you hit enemy airfields, particularly if they have not recently come under attack and are not near the front line, you will usually find them pretty much undefended. I like this because when you do come up against enemy action, its usually just one or two, and not the whole Gibbering Horde ;)

Alright, good advice! I'll keep it in mind.