2 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

Lets wish the dev all the best if that's the case.

Critical injury, don't tell me the Dev is into Mountain Biking???😎

Hope they get well and heal up soon.

@Tasmanaut As for releasing updates after the sale, well why not?  Nothing shady about that.

1 minute ago, blitze said:

Critical injury, don't tell me the Dev is into Mountain Biking???😎

Hope they get well and heal up soon.

@Tasmanaut As for releasing updates after the sale, well why not?  Nothing shady about that.

The release of this update could bring significant hype to the game, for new or returning players, and provide a big incentive to purchase it, along with the additional content. To wait until the sale finishes would indicate that the team is aware of this and is looking to cash in on the hype, but at non-discounted prices. I feel this is shady, personally. I also don't believe it will come to this

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Tasmanaut said:

looking to cash in on the hype, but at non-discounted prices. I feel this is shady, personally.

Shady?

If the release is, in fact, being timed to coincide with the end of the sale (which is only a theory after all), then I would call that good business practice.

• Like 1

theoretically, it would be good for them, bad for consumers. I believe the software is expensive enough as it is, when  I first got the game I couldn't believe how expensive all the add-on content was. To be fair, it is down to personal choice as to which content you buy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, -332FG-Hank_DG said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but always expect updates to be 2-3 weeks after you think they will be.

Yeah I  noticed that I tend to do that too.  With Oleg Maddox's Il-2 I would always mentally add 2-3 extra months to and completion date.  With BoX I add 2-3 weeks, and with DCS I add 2-3 years.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Tasmanaut said:

when  I first got the game I couldn't believe how expensive all the add-on content was.

This is the first game I've ever bought (other sims I played years ago were either free or hacked) so I have no idea how expensive this sim is 

compared to current costs of other games.

After spending thousands on my first ever gaming rig (I spent more on my computer/cockpit than I did on my car!), the comparatively small outlay

for four battles and FC (and a couple of collector planes) seemed cheap.

Edited by jaygee485
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tasmanaut said:

The release of this update could bring significant hype to the game, for new or returning players, and provide a big incentive to purchase it, along with the additional content. To wait until the sale finishes would indicate that the team is aware of this and is looking to cash in on the hype, but at non-discounted prices. I feel this is shady, personally. I also don't believe it will come to this

The hype would be around the new content which would be primarily Bodenplatte and potentially Flying Circus and Tank Crew. These have been $10 off since they announced them back in December of 2017. That is not going to change with this patch. That discount will end when they formally release and they have already said these are not the final patches.

It's hardly shady.

16 minutes ago, jaygee485 said:

This is the first game I've ever bought (other sims I played years ago were either free or hacked) so I have no idea how expensive this sim is 

compared to current costs of other games.

After spending thousands on my first ever gaming rig (I spent more on my computer/cockpit than I did on my car!), the comparatively small outlay

for four battles and FC (and a couple of collector planes) seemed cheap.

It's comparatively cheap especially when on sale.

DCS World itself is free but most single aircraft modules cost anywhere from $15 to $80 (take about 25-50% off during a sale). Additional maps are an added cost too. Go over to X-Plane which costs $60 (and comes with a few aircraft to start) with individual aircraft prices ranging from free to well over $100. Scenery packs such as those from Orbx cost around $45 for a region and around $20-25 for an individual airport. If you want X-Plane to look halfway decent may decide to spend another $60 for some of the weather and environment upgrades.

We're not comparing apples to apples here but if we want to talk total costs you can spend not a whole lot of money on IL-2 and get 8 or 10 planes, a map, single player Career, and do it for $17 to $28 on sale or $50-80 full price.

It's possible during a sale to pick up most of the series for about $85 which gets you 3 maps, 30 planes, and all of the other stuff going on.

That's a lot of bang for the buck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Tasmanaut said:

theoretically, it would be good for them, bad for consumers. I believe the software is expensive enough as it is, when  I first got the game I couldn't believe how expensive all the add-on content was. To be fair, it is down to personal choice as to which content you buy.

Well just try DCS.  Latest plane the  F-16C Viper is on sale for $63.99, now you will need a map say the Persian Gulf for $49.99 now you have a map and a plane and what else?  BO Boneplatte costs 69.99 with 5 flyable planes and a map and a campaign, and other goodies. And what jaygee485 stated above "the comparatively small outlay for four battles and FC (and a couple of collector planes) seemed cheap'.  Right on jaygee.  But also as you stated Tasmanut it is all about choice so please don't complain about the cost.

Sorry I did not see your reply Shamrock.  Also right on.

Edited by Taxman
Added text
  • Upvote 2

You think its shady to "take advantage of hype" by not discounting their products? Thats asanine. Whats the point of improving the quality of your product if not to proffit by it.

• Upvote 3

It is better to have a "nice" upgrade than a "rushed" one! No?

This game is is so wonderful, let keep it this way, we can wait a week or two more for a upgrade that is more complete and perfect. :salute:

• Upvote 1

It comes when it comes, making posts here won't change anything, sit back, relax. It will come.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Retrofly said:

It comes when it comes, making posts here won't change anything, sit back, relax. It will come.

Amen to that. And I better would have them delay the patch a week or two in case some late bugs creep up than release something only for release sake. Quality comes fist, always!

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sevenless said:

Amen to that. And I better would have them delay the patch a week or two in case some late bugs creep up than release something only for release sake. Quality comes fist, ever!

Of course, what is the alternative, they release a broken patch, that would make more people more angry. You can't rush these things.

Love the sig btw.

12 minutes ago, Retrofly said:

Of course, what is the alternative, they release a broken patch, that would make more people more angry. You can't rush these things.

Love the sig btw.

or 180 000 happy beta tester

Edited by namhee2

8 hours ago, Tasmanaut said:

First of all, hi.

Secondly, I dont get all this thinking really. And it's not against you/only you. And I'm not here to defend the devs either. 

But whats exactly wrong? They have 3 titles on EARLY DEVELOPMENT,  TC FC and BoBp, this three are the main porpuse of the update. And they wont change price afther next update. Only afther they are released.

The other content, BoS BoM BoK, collector planes and campaigns might be afected/improved by the update, but they are finished products, the way I see it, they are being upgraded for free.

And while on that point, I have no idea of your $ situation, and I wont tell anyone how they should spend their money, but for me BoX has been a great cost for value.

For the cost of a regular AAA game (more or less, depending on where you live and if it's on sale) you get a complete game, no season pass, no loot boxes, no gambling mechanics, that you can play literaly for hundreds if not thousans of hours, that is still being improved. In BoS case many years afther being released... Where else can you get a similar example?

You dont need everything to start playing, and you will probably en up expending More in your PC and joystick/HOTAS/ track ir/VR than in all BoX content anyway.

Sorry for the rant/long post

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tasmanaut said:

we have been told every step of the way, 'end of September'. Every DD seems to indicate we are on track. There has been no mention of delay. To delay the update 'til after the sale is shady business, in my opinion

Hahahaha

• Upvote 1

#"Well just try DCS.  Latest plane the  F-16C Viper is on sale for $63.99" ...

I sure did get a.o. DCS F-16C ! BTW I bought most of the DCS modules and all maps and will never stop buying ED stuff.

Nor will I ever think twice about buying every IL-2 release !

IMHO if you have to question whether you should buy these modules you probably .... shouldn't.

Early Access is here to stay and because of the incredible complexity of these softwares it is far more necessary here than in the case of e.g. FPS like Doom whatever.

Please Devs, keep this new patch until it is ... really ready to go (unlike last time with the installation-update problems).

Regards,

Stefaan 

Edited by simfan2015
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, danielprates said:

Now we have a "DD today" and an "update today" thread?

Whats next, a "patch today" thread?

do not talk, just do it ...😂

• Haha 2

A massive update on a friday afternoon isn't gonna happen, let's just accept that fact and look to monday or tuesday. 

Just now, Finkeren said:

A massive update on a friday afternoon isn't gonna happen, let's just accept that fact and look to monday or tuesday. 

I know, but this god-damn finger... it wont stop Arghhhh 😜

pyFY72V.gif

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tasmanaut said:

we have been told every step of the way, 'end of September'. Every DD seems to indicate we are on track. There has been no mention of delay. To delay the update 'til after the sale is shady business, in my opinion

Very shady indeed! What manner of moral, upstanding citizen would try and make money at selling video games? The nerve!

Next thing you know,  grocery stores will start to put meat on sale when it gets closer to the expiry date!  And cars at the end of the model year get cheaper just to clear out inventory, even though they KNOW new ones are right around the corner!

And really the entire concept of a sale is to convince you to spend money on something, which is pretty underhanded if you ask me.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

I'd like to hear more about Marshal Mode

They said there would be a DD about it when it was nearly ready. I don't think we'll see it in this update. There was a call out some time ago to server runners to volunteer to test it IIRC, so it may be in testing or entering testing soon, but those guys will have an NDA so all we got is speculation.

I'm not sure which I find more annoying, those who complain when a supposed deadline is missed or the omnipotent poster who reminds everyone "it'll be released when it's ready". Well duh. 

• Haha 2

Hence why it's best to stick to flippancy and silliness :P

11 minutes ago, Rjel said:

I'm not sure which I find more annoying, those who complain when a supposed deadline is missed or the omnipotent poster who reminds everyone "it'll be released when it's ready". Well duh. 

Someone in tune with the memes the kids use these days needs to make one of those tiny brain-galaxy brain images about this.
Not me, of course, I grew old before my time.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

As an Elder Millennial it's WAY past my day.

An Elder Millennial is sort of like an Elder God with less tentacles and more student debt.

44 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Elder Millennial

I reckon a DoB of 1984 puts me right at Elder territory. Incidentally, Elder Millenial isn't my term I shamelessly stole it from Iliza Shlesinger's Netflix comedy special. Well worth a watch, she is hilarious. And it's filmed on the hanger deck of an old aircraft carrier, so plenty of aviation history in the background, though personally I find Iliza a little difficult to take the eyes off... 🤭

Edited by [_FLAPS_]Diggun
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

I reckon a DoB of 1984 puts me right at Elder territory. Incidentally, Elder Millenial isn't my term I shamelessly stole it from Iliza Shlesinger's Netflix comedy special. Well worth a watch, she is hilarious. And it's filmed on the hanger deck of an old aircraft carrier, so plenty of aviation history in the background, though personally Iliza a little difficult to take the eyes off... 🤭

Only as old as you feel, or rather the memes you make. I was too born in 1984 and can construct memes. The quality or "dankness" is debatable.

• Haha 2

Just now, Retrofly said:

born in 1984

All the best people were tbh...