=LD=Penshoon

You also think BOS is Beautiful? How about making it ABSOLUTLY GORGEOUS! *Instructions inside*

Your first two screens look like crap. Glad my system doesn't look like that.

The first two screens are vanilla with no tweaking whatsoever the second two were with the terrain ini tweaked and the gamma was dropped to 0.6 (No sweetFX)  

The change to the terrain that we have now is a major disappointment to say the least.  

Your first two screens look like crap. Glad my system doesn't look like that.

My pics show up on a different computer when not signed in. Don't know why you can't see them.

Custard. I can see them as well...I did not have to use SweetFx prior to the update to get it to look like yours color-wise. The secondary terrain bubble is visible in the last shot unfortunately, and it's bothersome because I spend quite a bit of time above 4k. Edited by roaming_gnome

Your first two screens look like crap.  Glad my system doesn't look like that.

My pics show up on a different computer when not signed in.  Don't know why you can't see them.

You're screenies are taken in externals where the issue doesn't seem to exist. Go to 5-7k and take them in cockpit zoomed out as much as possible.

• Upvote 1

Lower altitudes don't seem to be as much of problem but above 5k it looks hideous. I'm not the only person in my squad having this issue. I was flying last night with a team mate and we where stunned into silence on TS by the change that we were both seeing.

I fairly confident is not my PC setup. I'm running window 7 64,  GTX970, 32GB of Ram and FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition running in 1920x1080.

The sim's terrain looked beautiful before now its just awful. 

The first two screens are vanilla with no tweaking whatsoever the second two were with the terrain ini tweaked and the gamma was dropped to 0.6 (No sweetFX)  

I have vanilla screens of each of the previous set I can post as a comparison if you would like to see them.  All are 4X terrain detail.  Most of the distant detail is game controlled, not SweetFX.

You're screenies are taken in externals where the issue doesn't seem to exist. Go to 5-7k and take them in cockpit zoomed out as much as possible.

Inside or outside makes no difference, detail resolves the same.  All my shots were widest FOV.  You can see cutoff in the city detail in screen number 3 in the following post:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12501-you-also-think-bos-beautiful-how-about-making-it-absolutly-g/?p=271699

BUT, what I think is at issue here is the following, how distant detail resolves.  I just did these before your post.  Taken at 3000m without SweetFX.

Just before city resolves:

19715340572_4fe572824c_h.jpg

A nano-second later:

19534499840_4f75d54ba8_h.jpg

It literally just pops.  It is what =LD=Penshoon was pointing out in post 307.   That was a static camera zooming in and out.  Similar effect when flying a 400kph.  I may be wrong but it seems in the pre-update version it resolved detail by creeping across the landscape.  Now it seems to take a huge chunk to resolve at once.  Only noticed this as I was forced to look at the same spot the entire time to make the track.  Usually when flying I wouldn't notice this because I would be looking all around me and the detail resolve could happen at any time.

Bottom line, when flying I look at the terrain for navigation mainly and haven't had any issues.  That's not very much of my flight time.  Hope the terrain gets better but flying until then.

The sound bubbles bother me more than this, but it is an eyesore none the less.

Now it seems to take a huge chunk to resolve at once. Only noticed this as I was forced to look at the same spot the entire time to make the track. Usually when flying
It is very noticeable from about 5k.

Hope the terrain gets better

Me too!

I have vanilla screens of each of the previous set I can post as a comparison if you would like to see them.  All are 4X terrain detail.  Most of the distant detail is game controlled, not SweetFX.

Inside or outside makes no difference, detail resolves the same.  All my shots were widest FOV.  You can see cutoff in the city detail in screen number 3 in the following post:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12501-you-also-think-bos-beautiful-how-about-making-it-absolutly-g/?p=271699

BUT, what I think is at issue here is the following, how distant detail resolves.  I just did these before your post.  Taken at 3000m without SweetFX.

Just before city resolves:

19715340572_4fe572824c_h.jpg

A nano-second later:

19534499840_4f75d54ba8_h.jpg

It literally just pops.  It is what =LD=Penshoon was pointing out in post 307.   That was a static camera zooming in and out.  Similar effect when flying a 400kph.  I may be wrong but it seems in the pre-update version it resolved detail by creeping across the landscape.  Now it seems to take a huge chunk to resolve at once.  Only noticed this as I was forced to look at the same spot the entire time to make the track.  Usually when flying I wouldn't notice this because I would be looking all around me and the detail resolve could happen at any time.

Bottom line, when flying I look at the terrain for navigation mainly and haven't had any issues.  That's not very much of my flight time.  Hope the terrain gets better but flying until then.

that's my point....FOV is an issue and it pops in and out. When I see the blur I can switch to externals and not see it. 

p.s that's not the widest FOV possible from what I can see

..snip..

p.s that's not the widest FOV possible from what I can see

It is for where my in-cockpit saved setting is.  Don't think externals are restricted by the F10 setting.

Like I said you have to use the maximum FOX to see this issue at it's worse. I fly with a pretty big monitor which means my FOV is maxed out totally using home/Ins plus I draw back my 'pilot head' using the in game settings as well. If you do that you will see how bad it looks.

Just trying to correct any idea that it's only happening to just a few people. Many people dont fly high or only use FOV settings close to the standard ones (which are quite zoomed in) so might not see this so badly. When I fly I see the 'tar lakes' and stuff popping in and out all the time now with the smallest zoom changes.

I've already said in other posts it's obviously an oversight or a bug and I'm sure it'll get fixed soon, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Emil

A couple more screen caps. It seems that we are getting what appears to be more than just a decline in the overall quality. We are also getting texture issues that form in squares on the terrain as opposed to a LOD bubble.

I have messed about with gamma settings and it appears to make little difference to the terrain.

post-42986-0-57913900-1436996196_thumb.jpg

post-42986-0-64221500-1436996218_thumb.jpg

Edited by JG5_Custard

I dug out of my cabin and got airborne but I was so dismayed at the terrain view that I was so busy looking at that I got shot down because I wasn't checking my six!

This does indeed express my emotion at that particular moment. Just need to figure a workaround for the issue, unfortunately being just a poor village peasant I do not have one.

unfortunately being just a poor village peasant I do not have one.
Nor I, I hope the Dev's come up with something soon :(

Nor I, I hope the Dev's come up with something soon :(

2-3 of us complaining may not be much of motivator for sweeping changes I'm afraid in reality.

2-3 of us complaining may not be much of motivator for sweeping changes I'm afraid in reality.
Nope, but its gone from looking great to just hideous. The hotfix hasn't solved it. I finding it hard to believe that this is an intentional  change. If it stays like this I think I will be hanging up my flight stick :(  

Nope, but its gone from looking great to just hideous. The hotfix hasn't solved it. I finding it hard to believe that this is an intentional  change. If it stays like this I think I will be hanging up my flight stick :(

Me too. Coconut just requested a small blurb from the devs in the BOM EA thread.

• Upvote 1

I initially thought that the terrain issues were limited to higher altitudes but the overall textures seemed to have taken a bash too. The first image is prior to the update the second is after. I think that the texture for the snow now looks nowhere near as good now.

post-42986-0-19451300-1437079189_thumb.jpg

post-42986-0-65991700-1437079237_thumb.jpg

I initially thought that the terrain issues were limited to higher altitudes but the overall textures seemed to have taken a bash too. The first image is prior to the update the second is after. I think that the texture for the snow now looks nowhere near as good now.

Yes it was PERFECT before. Now it's just blahhh, the featureless bumpy surface of a snowcone from Dairy Queen.

• Upvote 1

Those aren't the same areas though?

Also, the field pattern is not realistic for a foot of snow on the ground. The second picture actually is more accurate for lots of snow on the ground. The first one would be closer to an inch or two. Stalingrad had more than an inch or two on the ground. Maybe a bit more smoothed over with less oatmeal look, but the distinct field outlines would not be there.

But also those are just textures, it's not the same thing as the low LOD closer to the horizon. They are actually completely unrelated.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Those aren't the same areas though?

Also, the field pattern is not realistic for a foot of snow on the ground. The second picture actually is more accurate for lots of snow on the ground. The first one would be closer to an inch or two. Stalingrad had more than an inch or two on the ground. Maybe a bit more smoothed over with less oatmeal look, but the distinct field outlines would not be there.

But also those are just textures, it's not the same thing as the low LOD closer to the horizon. They are actually completely unrelated.

The outlines are roads or tracks used by vehicles is how I see it but if we're saying that then why the eyeliner effect on rivers which are supposed to be frozen and covered in snow?

Watch this video, skip to 1 minute if you wish. This is how this game needs to look because we could make it look like this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lD_Jvj3Jm0

Banks of rivers have lots of ice build up that are distinctly different from the smooth-ished over ice as the river freezes more and the snow falling around. It'd actually be icy build up with snow layers on top forming big thick banks right along the edges in the few inches deep water area because the river doesn't instantly freeze over and keeps pushing ice up against the banks where it freezes and builds up thicker and not uniformly. So it would look different from the normal snow and the flatter middle river in an area that gets that cold with that much snow.

They probably are vehicle tracks, but most likely farming equipment that wouldn't be in operation during the winter. That's why the tracks don't make sense in such deep/thick snow.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Banks of rivers have lots of ice build up that are distinctly different from the smooth-ished over ice as the river freezes more and the snow falling around. It'd actually be icy build up with snow layers on top forming big thick banks right along the edges in the few inches deep water area because the river doesn't instantly freeze over and keeps pushing ice up against the banks where it freezes and builds up thicker and not uniformly. So it would look different from the normal snow and the flatter middle river in an area that gets that cold with that much snow.

They probably are vehicle tracks, but most likely farming equipment that wouldn't be in operation during the winter. That's why the tracks don't make sense in such deep/thick snow.

So you like the graphics now compared to my video above?

So you like the graphics now compared to my video above?

No, I never said that. I'm not sure why that leap must be made. I'm simply stating that I don't agree with the field outlines in thick snow. I also don't agree with the oatmeal pattern. I also absolutely abhor the terrible LOD at higher altitudes with wider FOV.

• Upvote 1

For parity I have tried to take a screen cap in the same area as near as I can get it. I still think before looks miles better. The overall ground textures seemed to have suffered greatly? At higher altitudes it just looks terrible :(

post-42986-0-15929100-1437080715_thumb.jpg

post-42986-0-77673700-1437080736_thumb.jpg

No, I never said that. I'm not sure why that leap must be made. I'm simply stating that I don't agree with the field outlines in thick snow. I also don't agree with the oatmeal pattern. I also absolutely abhor the terrible LOD at higher altitudes with wider FOV.

Well that's a relief. I don't care too much about the outlines but in my opinion they've been done to pacify some people who are rubbish at navigation tbh but I'll not get my tin foil hat out just yet.

We're all big fans on BOS in our squad and love the sim but unfortunately these changes are a massive step back which is a bummer. Having said that we don't mind being patient as long as it's totally clear that what is in my video is what we would really like to see again, we tweaked the settings thanks to people in this post and the game looked fantastic so anything less than that would be a huge disappointment and I don't say that lightly.

• Upvote 1

Well that's a relief. I don't care too much about the outlines but in my opinion they've been done to pacify some people who are rubbish at navigation tbh but I'll not get my tin foil hat out just yet.

We're all big fans on BOS in our squad and love the sim but unfortunately these changes are a massive step back which is a bummer. Having said that we don't mind being patient as long as it's totally clear that what is in my video is what we would really like to see again, we tweaked the settings thanks to people in this post and the game looked fantastic so anything less than that would be a huge disappointment and I don't say that lightly.

Wow, do I miss those views now that they're gone.

Snow textures like in the second picture has been around a long time before this patch in certain areas.

Snow textures like in the second picture has been around a long time before this patch in certain areas.

You may be right Zami, but If they have I have never noticed them looking quite that bad. The other caps posted by myself and other, I would hope have fundamentally shown that something has gone wrong, and the textures/terrain particularly at higher altitudes look terrible to what many of us were seeing before.

I truly think that this is the best WWII flight sim out there and I'm not knocking the Dev's or the work they have put in. It's because I'm so passionate about this sim is the main reason I'm so disappointed by what has happened to the beautiful terrain that we had prior to 1.101.

Regards

Custard    

Yeah, something is wrong with texture filtering or something for sure. But I think the textures itself is pretty much the same as before. Only rivers/lakes got new stuff.

It would be best if the devs would comment their opinion of the blur issue.

Edited by Zami
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, something is wrong with texture filtering or something for sure. But I think the textures itself is pretty much the same as before. Only rivers/lakes got new stuff.

It would be best if the devs would comment their opinion of the blur issue.

I have to agree Zami, but unfortunately still no word on the "snow porridge" saga.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is with letting us keep our historical high quality textures setting. It was not breaking anything, it was not giving anyone undue advantage, it just made it look good. If further optimization is necessary we might as well just have a flat blue for sky and flat bottom half of the screen white. That will run perfectly optimized. Just including a 5x, 6x, etc. setting and presto.

I dont see why it would bother anyone because folks figured out how to make it look better then stock settings originally. It's not like we stole the mystical and "precious!" RING and they have to take it away from us. I'm even willing to take the really funky looking riverbanks in stride. Good Grief. I will not eat my cold porridge.

Edited by roaming_gnome
  • Upvote 1

I honestly don't see what the big deal is with letting us keep our historical high quality textures setting. It was not breaking anything, it was not giving anyone undue advantage, it just made it look good. If further optimization is necessary we might as well just have a flat blue for sky and flat bottom half of the screen white. That will run perfectly optimized. Just including a 5x, 6x, etc. setting and presto.

I dont see why it would bother anyone because folks figured out how to make it look better then stock settings originally. It's not like we stole the mystical and "precious!" RING and they have to take it away from us. I'm even willing to take the really funky looking riverbanks in stride. Good Grief.

I couldn't agree more Gnome and I'm truly at a loss as to why we now have what we have with regards to the terrain or how anyone can think this is better? I have tried my best to ignore it but I just can't, it looks terrible and is spoiling this fantastic sim.

+1.. logged in for the first time in a while yesterday and immediately noticed the huge drop in quality overall. Like others here after tweaking I'd managed to get the game looking nice before. I just couldn't play yesterday for long with all that bubble and shimmering going on nearby. Hope it gets changed back. Has there been any comments from the devs why they made these changes? 

+1.. logged in for the first time in a while yesterday and immediately noticed the huge drop in quality overall. Like others here after tweaking I'd managed to get the game looking nice before. I just couldn't play yesterday for long with all that bubble and shimmering going on nearby. Hope it gets changed back. Has there been any comments from the devs why they made these changes? 

None as of yet.

i for the life of me cannot find terrain.ini went into the graphics folder and i lokked over and over and it isn't there? what am i missing?

Was removed with the latest patch unfortunately. No info on why or if we'll get it back at some point at this stage.

ahh man (stomps)