=LD=Penshoon

You also think BOS is Beautiful? How about making it ABSOLUTLY GORGEOUS! *Instructions inside*

No, on a general case this isn't the main point of LOD. LODs defines the number of polygons for a 3D object (building, vehicle, etc...) according to the rendering distance.

The textures placed on the 3D objects also change with the rendering distance, but it's only a side effect.

Yea correct but this files only is about terrain textures, right? Didn't notice any changes on the 3d objects no matter what I changed, which leads to the simple conclusion this LoD only effects groudn texture detailing.

3d model LoDs are also tied with LoD textures. I get your point but in this case I'd say iit's texture related only (unless sby may proof me wrong, I'd be glad to know).

Yup, this seems to be related to the mipmaps only. 

The textures placed on the 3D objects also change with the rendering distance, but it's only a side effect.

Mipmaps aren't a side effect.

Edited by Densetsu

Small headsup, the game will crash if LoDs are set to any value lower than 5. Seems like it's hardcoded and can't be changed, but it's no tragedy :)

Edited by [Jg26]5tuka

S!

The distance where trees or houses and roads etc. appear is not affected by this terrain.in tweaking as far I have tested it. Hardcoded somewhere else.

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

Yea correct but this files only is about terrain textures, right? Didn't notice any changes on the 3d objects no matter what I changed, which leads to the simple conclusion this LoD only effects groudn texture detailing.

3d model LoDs are also tied with LoD textures. I get your point but in this case I'd say iit's texture related only (unless sby may proof me wrong, I'd be glad to know).

I remember seeing improvement on mesh LOD when I first did my first comparisons, got to test this again when I get home.

With stock .ini, try looking at the riverbanks next to Stalingrad, far away with blurry city textures they should have quite basic geometry but gets more triangles the closer you get. Stalingrad is still pretty flat so it's not as obvious as the textures but I think it looks a little more bumpy overall  :)

I remember seeing improvement on mesh LOD when I first did my first comparisons, got to test this again when I get home.

Would really appreciate it as thsi would actually not make any sense to me. 3d LoD are usually hardcoded in model scrips /settings, not included in land texture files (?).

Mind to not mix up bump / normal maps with mesh when testing :)

What does "PixelSize=50" do? Has anyone changed this value?

Rob

Have it set to "1". Without noticeable difference that I can see.

Would really appreciate it as thsi would actually not make any sense to me. 3d LoD are usually hardcoded in model scrips /settings, not included in land texture files (?).

Mind to not mix up bump / normal maps with mesh when testing :)

Tested it again with this .ini for effect:

PixelSize=50 //meters

LodCount=5

texlod=4096,8
texlod=1024,16
texlod=1024,16
texlod=1024,16
texlod=1024,16

There was a some change of the geometry but not really significant since these LOD meshes or whatever they are is changing from so far away with normal .ini file.

Paused the game and took these screenshots from slightly different fovs so you can see the change from texlod=4096,8 to texlod=1024,16 close. I don't know, maybe my eyes are screwing with me. 

2014_11_6__19_16_1nzphp.png

2014_11_6__19_16_9c2s0c.png

• Upvote 1

Tested it again with this .ini for effect:

PixelSize=50 //meters

LodCount=5

texlod=4096,8
texlod=1024,16
texlod=1024,16
texlod=1024,16
texlod=1024,16

There was a some change of the geometry but not really significant since these LOD meshes or whatever they are is changing from so far away with normal .ini file.

Paused the game and took these screenshots from slightly different fovs so you can see the change from texlod=4096,8 to texlod=1024,16 close. I don't know, maybe my eyes are screwing with me. 

You'll have to restart the game after any change, no?  Those two images look identical to me.

I think he changed the camera pitch slightly, to trigger a lod change, but yeah, not seeing any difference myself. 

I placed the camera on the edge of the closest LOD change and zoomed in and out a tiny bit to trigger it. Cropped out the riverbank part:

2014_11_6__19_16_1123szudz.png

Again, this is with totally messed up settings .ini settings,

There is definately a difference in both screenshots.

I made a cut out of each screenshot.

Left is cut out of upper and right is cut out of lower screenshot.

Difference_Textures.jpg
upload pics

At left you see a bland texture in front of plane (also no smooth transition from detailed to bland texture) .

At right still detailed texture in front of plane.

EDIT: I see you also made that cut out of riverbank. :biggrin:

Edited by Uufflakke

Could still be just a texture + bump map trick instead of geometry. I don't believe BoS has the ressources to utilize variable terrain geometry due to the shere scale and the need for proper land meshs.

Buildings ect look pretty much the same to me, might be a little too small to notice though :blink:

S!

Does the DXsemantics file do anything? At least it has the values there, like tessellation factor at 8 etc. Some quick googling and reading up on it at gamedev/MS pages said the tessellation factor can be from 0 to 64.

POSITION = 0
BLENDWEIGHT = 1
BLENDINDICES = 2
NORMAL = 3
PSIZE = 4
TEXCOORD = 5
TANGENT = 6
BINORMAL = 7
TESSFACTOR = 8
POSITIONT = 9
COLOR = 10
FOG = 11
DEPTH = 12
SAMPLE = 13

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

S!

Does the DXsemantics file do anything? At least it has the values there, like tessellation factor at 8 etc. Some quick googling and reading up on it at gamedev/MS pages said the tessellation factor can be from 0 to 64.

POSITION = 0

BLENDWEIGHT = 1

BLENDINDICES = 2

NORMAL = 3

PSIZE = 4

TEXCOORD = 5

TANGENT = 6

BINORMAL = 7

TESSFACTOR = 8

POSITIONT = 9

COLOR = 10

FOG = 11

DEPTH = 12

SAMPLE = 13

These a related directly to DirectX use.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb509647(v=vs.85).aspx

then more in depth for each

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb206337(v=vs.85).aspx

guess the 0 to 64 can be used of course but implies proper DX coding in the engine ? No idea, not my area of expertise.

Edited by =LD=Hethwill_Khan

S!

POSITION = 0

BLENDWEIGHT = 1

BLENDINDICES = 2

NORMAL = 3

PSIZE = 4

TEXCOORD = 5

TANGENT = 6

BINORMAL = 7

TESSFACTOR = 8

POSITIONT = 9

COLOR = 10

FOG = 11

DEPTH = 12

SAMPLE = 13

The fact that these values are exactly the interval 0..13 tells me these numbers are probably indices in an array. If my guess is correct, touching these values will only break things.

The fact that these values are exactly the interval 0..13 tells me these numbers are probably indices in an array. If my guess is correct, touching these values will only break things.

Yes, to put it simple these are "indices" of vertex attributes, i.e. TessFactor is 8th attribute (it is more complex really, but it is too technical to be interesting :) ). Also when shaders are used these semantics don't really mean anything specific, they are just for programmer's convenience. They had strictly defined purpose only for older (DirectX 7 style) fixed function graphics.

So at best these don't do anything, at worst you break something.

And just in case, hardware tesselation for DX9 was supported by some old ATI cards (10+ years ago) but then they dropped it from newer models because nobody really used it.

I used this setting:

texlod=4096,8

texlod=4096,8

texlod=4096,8

texlod=4096,8

texlod=4096,8

Wow! What difference! The best benifit for me is that I now see airfields from a much greater distance. This and all the other features being much sharper make it a good deal easier to navigate.

I used this setting:

texlod=4096,8

texlod=4096,8

texlod=4096,8

texlod=4096,8

texlod=4096,8

Wow! What difference! The best benifit for me is that I now see airfields from a much greater distance. This and all the other features being much sharper make it a good deal easier to navigate.

Well, from your specs I think many of us can try to pull the bar a bit up. Can you post a screenie ?

Maybe because the textures are loaded off the bat and all 5 levels use the same mip-mapping resolution.

Mission load times get increased for sure.

At work as well Mike77 but will try to test all 5 levels in the same resolution to see how it goes. Using AMD card so let's see.

Will post screen laters.

With settings

texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8

Click to enlarge

At 6000 metres

post-6177-0-39601400-1415630653_thumb.jpgpost-6177-0-17909800-1415630701_thumb.jpg

At 3000 metres

post-6177-0-04227200-1415630774_thumb.jpgpost-6177-0-10645300-1415630819_thumb.jpg

At 1500 metres

post-6177-0-70484600-1415630884_thumb.jpg

Cheers Dakpilot

Ok Dakpilot did it for me. To get a sense of what I mean, look at his 4th pic (with the 190 approaching Stalingrad from the west) Look up in the top right hand corner and you can see a landing strip. No way you could see that with the stock settings.

This thread is the kind of reason the devs should let people play around with settings. Flight simmers like to tinker with stuff and then share with the rest of the community. This kind of thing helps to build the community. So long as there's no real possibility for cheating all this type of graphical options stuff should be open for editing. Loft's current standpoint is daft and counter-productive - let people work out what looks best for them. Would be a really quick and cheap way to reduce some negativity.

• Upvote 2

Yeah it's kind of amazing how the devs let one small thing slip and right away someone makes the game much better for everyone. I can kind of see this going one of two ways; either the devs see the light and finally open up the settings and make the game better for everyone or they close down this thing as well - which would mark the end of my patience, which has so far been honestly quite remarkable.

• Upvote 1

With settings

texlod=4096,8

texlod=4096,8

texlod=4096,8

texlod=4096,8

texlod=4096,8

Cheers Dakpilot

When running with these settings yesterday I noticed my GPU memory usage went way up (to a little over 3 GB) compared to before, and my FPS took a bit of a hit (or actually that may have been when I was testing out running at 8192,8 across the board - now I'll have to go back and check that too ).  I was only flying low-level IL-2 ground attack missions at the time, and didn't really see that much improvement over the OP's original tweak at those altitudes, so I backed the numbers off to that.  Now that I'm flying some higher-altitude missions I may have to try these numbers again.

Oh, and BTW Mike77 - in the 4th picture the 190 is approaching Stalingrad from the East, not the West - just wanted to make sure you didn't get lost and head the wrong way home next time you were up there :)

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

Can someone tell me what the second integer (8 in Dakpliots example) does?

Hey you're right panther!

just went to check on fps and can't connect to the server.  Obviously not an internet problem on my end.

Edited by SYN_Mike77

Dakpilot

Those  screenshots and my in game looks a lot how it used to be way back then. Before all of the gradual changes that were made.

SYN_Mike77

All is good here...just logged in. 

Edited by LastRights13

Went back and got in fine, did a quick mission check of fps and noticed a slight increase in fps?  What the heck?  Load time to get into the game is a bit longer though.

Did a run on MP LD heavy metal server with the latest values I put up, and FPS was stable at 60 and did not notice the "usual" stutter. Actually we entered a fight with half a dozen planes and not a single noticeable frame rate loss.

Dhyran also tested them out and apparently his FPS went up. Will upload the video anytime.

Did the update to 1.004 and the ini settings remained unchanged. Everything "enhanced" as before.

Clearly I am a dickhead. I changed the 16 to 8 when it was first posted but couldnt really see any difference. Then today when the update was loaded, I checked the graphics file to see if it had reverted and the light bulb lit up. I hadnt changed the 1024 to 2048.

Did that and took it for a test wow - vive la difference.

Good find Penshoon.

We ran some testes on the LD Hvy metal server, to test lag and fps drop, and jaw dropping, the performance was increased for all of us, no framedrop even when suddenly human player show up from everywhere ( usually you know humans are close when you get this sudden frame lag for a moment).

We tested the same settings with Nvidia and AMD chips ( a 980 i think and a 7950 ).

LodCount=5
texlod=8192,16
texlod=4096,32
texlod=4096,16
texlod=2048,16
texlod=2048,8

Was reading some info about this texture LOD sampling and i'm intrigued so will run some unorthodox configurations later on today as well.

Edited by =LD=Hethwill_Khan
  • Upvote 1