=38=Tatarenko

New Players start here ...

Good day folks,

My first post here.

A little background - I'm a complete novice with any kind of gaming or simulation programme, I can't recall ever having played a computer game.

Unfortunately, nowadays I'm rather restricted mobility - wise, spending a lot of my time at home.

Given the generally dire state of tv programmes available, I'm looking for ways to expand my leisure time horizons a bit.

I had a poke around the internet and stumbled across IL-2.

It all looks very impressive, so I'm going to dive in.

However, I'm a bit confused about some of the games?

I intend to purchase Battle of Stalingrad first, but then.......?

I really like the look of Battle of Britain and 1946, especially 1946, but I can't quite decipher what the story is with it?

Is it a stand - alone game?

It seems, from the videos I've watched, that it has far more content plane - wise and situationally than the others?

Yet it doesn't seem to be as popular, why?

Also, I'll buy a flight stick, I've looked at some reviews but they were years old, any up to date recommendations?

I've read a lot of advice on here, it's an excellent forum, my apologies if I've missed the answers to these questions somewhere.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'll leave it to others to fill in the details of the BoB ("Cliffs of Dover" or "CloD") and IL-2 1946 story, but in a nutshell:

• CloD came out after IL-2 1946 and both are stand-alone games published by 1CGS.
  • The current IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad (BoS), Battle of Moscow (BoM) etc. uses the game engine from Rise of Flight (published by 777 Studios) rather than the original game engine for CloD and IL-2 1946.
  • CloD is currently being developed by Team Fusion Simulations.
  • Rise of Flight is being replaced by Flying Circus.
  • Tank Crew has been added to the 1CGS/777 stable.

For more information on the sims (except for CloD and 1946), see IL-2 Sturmovik Resources.

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 1

Thanks Jim, much appreciated.

I'm reading and reading everything I can, but it's a steep learning curve!

I found Shamrockonefives' blog too which was very helpful.

Another question, if I may?

All of these games (sims?) are only playable online or are some on cd's to play in the computer?

Apologies again, this is a completely new world to me.

Regards

John

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ah_dammit said:

Good day folks,

My first post here.

A little background - I'm a complete novice with any kind of gaming or simulation programme, I can't recall ever having played a computer game.

Unfortunately, nowadays I'm rather restricted mobility - wise, spending a lot of my time at home.

Given the generally dire state of tv programmes available, I'm looking for ways to expand my leisure time horizons a bit.

I had a poke around the internet and stumbled across IL-2.

It all looks very impressive, so I'm going to dive in.

However, I'm a bit confused about some of the games?

I intend to purchase Battle of Stalingrad first, but then.......?

I really like the look of Battle of Britain and 1946, especially 1946, but I can't quite decipher what the story is with it?

Is it a stand - alone game?

It seems, from the videos I've watched, that it has far more content plane - wise and situationally than the others?

Yet it doesn't seem to be as popular, why?

Also, I'll buy a flight stick, I've looked at some reviews but they were years old, any up to date recommendations?

I've read a lot of advice on here, it's an excellent forum, my apologies if I've missed the answers to these questions somewhere.

Regards

John

Hey welcome to the forums!

I'll try and answer as succinctly as possible although I feel like the full unabridged version of the history of the series may help :)

There's three generations of the IL-2 series that you've referenced. The first one came out in 2001 and that was IL-2: Sturmovik which had a series of add-ons that culminated in IL-2: 1946. IL-2 1946 was extensively modded by the community and there's a group called Team Daidalos that still maintains the base simulation. The second generation was IL-2: Cliffs of Dover. That series had some serious issues on release and nearly disappeared except thanks to the work of Team Fusion who have since become the official developers of that title and have resurrected it into IL-2: Cliffs of Dover BLITZ Edition. IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad was the first in the third generation of the series (which we now call IL-2: Great Battles Series) which has since grown considerably to encompass Battle of Moscow, Battle of Kuban, Battle of Bodenplatte (early access), Tank Crew - Clash at Prokhorovka (early access) and Flying Circus Vol 1 (early access).

Those last three are in early access which means that finished content is available to those who pre-order but all of the content is not yet done.

My IL-2: Battle of Kuban review is probably a more in-depth explanation of what the series is about up to the point that I wrote it: https://stormbirds.blog/2018/04/11/il-2-battle-of-kuban-in-depth-review/ It's a little out of date but it should get you started.

As for hardware... we can probably spend all day talking about that. There's lots of different options out there depending on the money you have available to spend and your needs. You may want to have a look at some of the discussions in the hardware section: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/18-hardware-software-and-controllers/

I've written some hardware reviews recently (with hopefully more to come):

VKB Gladiator: https://stormbirds.blog/2016/12/11/review-vkb-gladiator/

VIRPIL WarBRD: https://stormbirds.blog/2019/06/04/virpil-warbrd-base-and-grip-full-review/

VIRPIL MongoosT-50 TCS: https://stormbirds.blog/2019/04/28/virpil-mongoost-50-throttle-control-system-full-review/

There's also products like Thrustmaster's T.16000 that offer really good bang for the buck (if slightly lackluster aesthetics) and Logitech has rejuvenated the Saitek X-52 and X-56 stick and HOTAS recently. You may want to also consider IR tracking for head movement in the sim or even a VR setup. Again you can really go all out here but it just depends on how much you're willing to spend.

I should say too that you can have a lot of fun with a very basic setup so don't let all of this high end stuff distract or dissuade you either.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Like 1

Typing at the same time!!

Thank you, I have to say, your blog is excellent, very informative.

I checked out Jims' link, I have a lot of catching up to do!

I'll check your links too, cheers!

John

Welcome to one of the best forums on the internet!

If you can afford the $$, the Thrustmaster Wart Hog HOTAS (Hands on Throttle & Stick) is unmatched for realism & performance

(https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/thrustmaster-hotas-joystick-throttle)

In this forum & this topic (New Players Start Here...), you'll find loads of info on getting into this hobby.

It's amazing how folks help each other out. Check my posts (I joined in January) if you want to see some stupid questions & the patient /helpful responses from the members!

But be warned...this hobby is more than addictive...& fun!

Where are you located?

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the welcome Doc!

I'm continuing to read everything I can, but the sheer volume of information is incredible.

I agree though, an excellent forum, first class.

Even trying to figure out acronyms and their meaning can take some time.

The Thrustmaster looks impressive all right, unfortunately I have restricted leg sensation / movement nowadays, so rudder pedals would be impractical.

I'm slowly working my way through reviews of sticks which have the twist function for rudder operation.

I'm currently living in Bahrain, where I work as a lecturer teaching mech eng in a Bachelors degree programme.

Edit - I like the look of the VKB Gladiator, I'm waiting for my account to be activated, once it arrives, I'll purchase the games.

Edited by Ah_dammit
Additional information

35 minutes ago, Ah_dammit said:

Thanks for the welcome Doc!

I'm continuing to read everything I can, but the sheer volume of information is incredible.

I agree though, an excellent forum, first class.

Even trying to figure out acronyms and their meaning can take some time.

The Thrustmaster looks impressive all right, unfortunately I have restricted leg sensation / movement nowadays, so rudder pedals would be impractical.

I'm slowly working my way through reviews of sticks which have the twist function for rudder operation.

I'm currently living in Bahrain, where I work as a lecturer teaching mech eng in a Bachelors degree programme.

You really don't need rudder peddles. I have a set but don't like to use them as I prefer the twist stick for rudder operation (I'm not a sim snob!). My recommendation would be the Saitek X52 Pro.

https://www.saitek.com/uk/prod-bak/x52pro.html

Very reliable, accurate and good value.

This Great Battles series are best downloaded straight from this website. See the store...

https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-bodenplatte/

Welcome to one of the best ways of wasting time!

Ah-dammit...

Elem is correct..the Wart Hog does not require rudder pedals....& the Saitek X52 Pro is a great choice also.

As an engineer - esp mechanical - you will thrive in this game!!

(My youngest lad is a Mech Engineer!)

It's a great learning process guaranteed to keep you up nights!

Keep in touch!

...John 

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated.

I've been rather busy of late, I'm still shopping around when I get a chance.

Both of the examples you've noted are on the shortlist, cheers.

I had also contacted VKB about the Gladiator, I like the retro look of it, but no response as yet.

I'm still checking out forum topics too, as and when.

I have a lot to learn!!

Ok, so I have a complaint.  (j/k)

I got a joystick and the other day, had a little free time, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Now, whenever I've had a few spare minutes recently, I've been watching tutorial videos and posted battles on Youtube.

So, I thought, looks easy enough

Whaaaaaaaaattt!!!??

So far, I've just about flown towards some yellow balloon things, not too bad.

Played with some settings, figuring things out.

Landings?

Haha, forget it.

Last mission, I saw some little red triangles on the ground.

The enemy! = they'll be sorry!!

Um, yeah. Maybe a virtual tree is feeling a bit sorry for itself, but that's about it.

You guys might have told me just how bloody difficult this is!!!!!!!!!😁😉

I'm getting a bit addicted though, I keep thinking about it and how I can improve.

Love the detail and the depth.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking about joysticks - is Logitech 3d Pro considered a bad choice? 

It seems it's the most popular and affordable joystick. I've been using it for many years, and it feels OK. 

Am I missing something? 

One more Q: what content is available in the early access in Tank Crew and Bedenplatte and does it worth the money ? 

1 hour ago, Petrov said:

One more Q: what content is available in the early access in Tank Crew and Bedenplatte and does it worth the money ? 

Every update since launch and what it contained can be seen here...

Yes, everything this team of developers do is worth the money.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/24/2019 at 2:46 PM, TrueGrey said:

@egyadelzakhary

Hello, I have found those links on Sherrif's Sim Shack video, they are supposed to help with acceleration:

link1

link2 

Original comment link.

Full video link to moment when it's used.

thanks buddy

Posted (edited)

Hello,

Seems I'm a bit late to the party but I'm terribly excited to have made my first purchase in the Great Battles series. While I wait for the game to download I thought I would introduce myself and maybe ask a couple of questions. Having played Rise of Flight for years I have no doubts about the quality of BoS. I've played many wwII combat sims over the years and I'm feeling the itch again. After a good bit of practice, I hope to spend most of my time playing in multi-player servers. No AI can compare to the feeling of dogfighting another player as each pushes his aircraft to it's limits. I've never spent much time doing ATG missions. I'm here for the knife fighting.

With that said, I could use a little advice. My gaming budget is limited and I would like to take advantage of the summer sale but I'm not sure what will provide me with the most value. I've narrowed my choices down to purchasing (in addition to BoS) either Battle of Kuban standard edition (or) two collector planes.

The planes that interest me in BoK are the Yak-7b, 109 G-4, and 190 A-5.

However, if I go with the collector planes I would almost certainly pick the 109 G-6 as 109's have always been my favorite aircraft in wwII flight sims. I'm less certain about the second choice but the Yak-1b or La-5FN both seem to be nice options to fit my needs. Or perhaps the Spitfire? I've read that the P-40 isn't the most competitive but it might also serve me well to add some variety to my collection.

The question that nags me the most and the crux of my dilemma is will I regret not having a 190 because I wanted to upgrade the 109?

I would very much appreciate any input you might be able to give as I struggle to make my decision before this sale ends.

Thanks for your time and see you in the skies!

Edited by Niner

Posted (edited)

Hi, welcome aboard!

I would sugest BoK first!

It is ofcourse a very personal choice.

But on standard BoK you get 8 planes. You dont get the (collector) yak1b, but instead the yak7b wich I like more, and it's perfect for knife fighting as you said, you get the 190A5 similar to the (collector) A3 but with more armament options, you get an American plane on the p39, and the amazing a20. The very powerfull 110G twin engine plane.

Plus the gorgeous Kuban map, and campaign for Single Player.

And I hope to see you on MP soon!

Edited by =FEW=fernando11
Tipo
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your input =FEW=fernando11!

After reading your post and doing lots of research on the forums I've decided to forgo the the big guns of the G-6 and purchase BoK. 😄

Edited by Niner
  • Upvote 1

Hello everyone,

P just bought the Battle of Stalingrad premium pkg, one problem and it's probably a simple oops on my part but I'm hoping you guys can help me out. When I launch the game it doesn't recognize my joystick, throttles or rudder pedals. Is there a process to go through to get it to recognize this? I even have trackIR5 , I just haven't turned it on yet.

I've actually been playing on WW2 flight sims for over 10 yrs ( Aces High 3, WarThunder to name a couple ). Any help would greatly appreciated!!! I hope to see everyone in these skies soon. BTW, the controls I use are the Saitek X55 Rhino joystick and throttle and the Saitek rudder pedals.

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 11:08 AM, Ah_dammit said:

Depends how much you want spent - can be ~$100 or $1000+. :))

For novice the best "all-in-one" joystick (with throttle and rudder controls) is VKB Gladiator MK.II - $80/100.

Since Gladiator is difficult find for buy, is sell only in ~4 places worldwide, second option is Thrustmaster T.16000M ~$60,00.

The differential of both relatively to others "entry level" joystick is use contacless sensor in main axes (X,Y) - Gladiator use contact less sensor in twist rudder too.

Avoid more cheap sticks with potentiometer, they wear out soon or later causing spikes in axis response.

Both can be paired with TWCS  (and others) throttle forming a "HOTAS" (hands on stick and throttle), but the throttle is optional, case want more buttons at (both) hands, this throttle cost ~$90.

If you end hooked by the genre after can add dedicated rudder pedals, "high end" joystick and throttles from VirPil (VPC), VKB, Thrustmaster.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 642DRAGUN said:

Hello everyone,

P just bought the Battle of Stalingrad premium pkg, one problem and it's probably a simple oops on my part but I'm hoping you guys can help me out. When I launch the game it doesn't recognize my joystick, throttles or rudder pedals. Is there a process to go through to get it to recognize this? I even have trackIR5 , I just haven't turned it on yet.

I've actually been playing on WW2 flight sims for over 10 yrs ( Aces High 3, WarThunder to name a couple ). Any help would greatly appreciated!!! I hope to see everyone in these skies soon. BTW, the controls I use are the Saitek X55 Rhino joystick and throttle and the Saitek rudder pedals.

Can you elaborate a bit more?

What joystick are you using?

Track IR should be ON before you start the game!

As of controller, I have USB rudder peddals and joistick, and as long as Windows "sees" them, the game should to.. there might be an option on settings inside the game, to check/uncheck jotlystick. I really dont remember.

BUT you HAVE TO asign each axis of your joystick to whatever you want them yo do, from inside the game. Go to quick mission, start on whatever plane, (parked on the ground preferably). Hit Esc key and go to

Settings

key mapping

Main controls - plane controll pitch (asign your pitch axis) plane controll roll, rudder, etc.

Wheb you are done, click ACCEPT, go back to the game. Un pause it and check if the controll colum/control surfaces work.

Ps: if you start on the air, you might start on auto Pilot, default key is Left shift +A  iirc

Another new guy here.  I bought BOS near the beginning of the summer sale.  As a sim novice I really appreciate the approachability of this title.  Immediately I was having a blast.  So far I'm really liking the career mode.   After about a week I was hooked and grabbed BOM premium as well.  My only regret at this point is that I didn't get BOS premium initially.  Told a few buddies about it and a couple have picked up BOS and are enjoying it also.  I think I'd like to try multiplayer eventually though I'm surely at the sad end of the ability bell curve.  However there seems to be good resources here and maybe I can find a squadron that does training.  The last time I was this geeked about a flight game was Aces Over Europe or B-17 Flying Fortress waaay back.

14 minutes ago, Suckerfish said:

Another new guy here.  I bought BOS near the beginning of the summer sale.  As a sim novice I really appreciate the approachability of this title.  Immediately I was having a blast.  So far I'm really liking the career mode.   After about a week I was hooked and grabbed BOM premium as well.  My only regret at this point is that I didn't get BOS premium initially.  Told a few buddies about it and a couple have picked up BOS and are enjoying it also.  I think I'd like to try multiplayer eventually though I'm surely at the sad end of the ability bell curve.  However there seems to be good resources here and maybe I can find a squadron that does training.  The last time I was this geeked about a flight game was Aces Over Europe or B-17 Flying Fortress waaay back.

Welcome to the community. Have a look at the IL-2 Resources post.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cowl flaps, inlets, radiators, all that scary engine stuff becomes easier to grasp (meaning you're more immersed and enjoy flying the plane more, even if not using expert mode) when you get out of the key mapping screen and get a tour of the real birds themselves and how someone flies them. Check out the wonderful vids made by Jeff Ethell (RIP):

Edited by von_Michelstamm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I'm not exactly a newbie as I've been playing Rise of Flight and IL2 1946 on and off for years, but after getting Great Battles, I'm playing these games more so thanks for the tips in this thread.

After using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for years and replacing it almost every year because the rudder twist tends to go wonky, I bought a Hotas X to see what that was like. I only had that a very short time (didn't like the big dead zone on it) when I read about the VKB's Gladiator Mark II which I bought last week. That's an excellent beginner's flight stick as others have mentioned and I highly recommend it.

I then decided to try using a separate throttle and ended up getting a cheap Flashfire Cobra Accelerator which came today. Not bad for the price and the extra buttons on it comes handy. I've only tried it in IL2 1946 and so far so good. Using the two dials on it for trim which works pretty well.

Edited by WallysWorld

Hi, I'm new too.

I'm coming back to IL-2 after years away.  I've played flight games since the Spectrum and played the old IL-2 and the expansion a lot, but I am by no means any good.

I'd like to ask where to start and to check that these new games are the right choice for me.  I am casual in ability but a bit more serious in the time I'm willing to put in, a new IL-2 would pretty much be the one game I play for a good while.  I'm only really looking at single player and while I appreciate flying for its own sake, I do yearn for a bit of action from time to time and wouldn't want too many flights in a row where I had nothing to engage - mostly as the whole family thing means I have to make the most of my gaming time.

Financial pressures mean the investment in a game like this, together with buying a joystick, is not one I can take lightly and it is achingly important I spend it well.  As time goes on, I would hope to add to the game with other packs.  I would hope to buy direct and support the developers.

My pc setup is a 6600k with an 8gb rx480 and I have a capable but not flashy Asus 24inch monitor. 

Basically, my questions would be:  Is this a game I can gradually ramp up the difficulty on from a fairly novice level, is my hardware up to it, is one 'Battle of' edition favoured over another and should I buy it now or wait?  I appreciate my questions are a bit subjective, but an honest opinion from a decent community has a great deal of value to me.

Many thanks for any clarity you may be able to give. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I'm new around here myself but I think I can suitably answer some of your questions and if I'm wrong perhaps someone can correct me.

My gaming budget is limited as well and the decision to get into this series wasn't taken lightly. I recently purchased Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Kuban during the summer sale (66% and 50% off) and I have no regrets. Even if I had to pick just one title at full price I would still think that I'd gotten a great value.

My CPU is an i5-3350P 3.10 GHz with 8gb ram, GPU is 1050ti with 4gb vid mem on a 32" Vizio TV screen and I have no problems running the game on Ultra 1080p at 60-80 fps (SSAO and HDR off, shadows medium, everything else maxed) with good video quality. I also use ReShade to sharpen the image quality rather than using the in-game "sharpen" for a more subtle effect and better framerates. The game seems very well optimized. I'm not a technology expert but your specs seem similar enough to mine that I don't think you would experience any problems running this game.

The settings can be adjusted such that the game handles nearly every aspect of flying for you, or you can turn them all off for a more simulated experience. The AI pilot difficulty can also be adjusted. I find dogfighting AI opponents to be far less interesting than real players online but there are many users who prefer offline play only.

Which battle you choose is a very personal choice. Someone that plays more of the single player side of the game would probably be better suited to answer this question but in general Battle of Moscow has the early war planes, Battle of Kuban is the current fully released installment of planes from later in the war, with Battle of Stalingrad in the middle. The coming Battle of Bodenplatte will feature the truly late war planes but it is still in the pre-order/early access phase.

As to whether you should buy now or wait, you've only just missed the Summer Sale which ended only July 15th. I don't know how often the title goes on sale, though I'd guess at only a couple times per year as it seems to be an industry standard, so I'd imagine it may be some time before the next one. Personally I'm hoping to buy Battle of Moscow during the winter holidays sale and add Battle of Bodenplatte to my collection at full price during that time as well.

For me, there weren't a lot of options when choosing a combat flight simulator that had everything that I was looking for, but after getting settled in I can happily say that IL-2: Great Battles fits me like a glove. 

Edited by Niner
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Niner's hit it all square on! the is also a great thread here....

...... that will help you maximise your system's potential. 

To add that all maps are available when you play on line (as in you can fly in any map the server admins put up despite what flavour of the game you own) although with only 1 instalment you may somtimes stuggle to find an aircraft to fly. Im not suggesting for one minute that MP is the only way (it definatley isnt) but it can be a good way of accessing the other maps to have a look at and to see how your system performs (espeically in the case of Kuban and i suspect Boddenplatte) before you take the plunge on another module.

IL2 Battle wise....

Staligrad probably gives you the aircraft that most likely to be in as many of those servers as possible  (LaGG, Yak1s69, 109F4 and G2, He111 H6, JU87 and Pe2 s87 are all common server fodder).  If you like Bf109s Staligrad can also be recommended for the F4 which is simply a joy to fly (and see out of) and the G2 which is something of a brute by comparson but gives a player a nice sense of how the type evolves without having to buy two different packs at once.  On the VVS side the Pe2s87 (and its bloody gunner) is quite something whilst the Yak1s69 grows and grows on you. The JU87 is also much loved and has a variety of loadouts including the twin 37mm AT cannon, 12 X 7.92 MGs (6 each in in 2 pods) and the frankly ridiculous (but very fun) 1800KG bomb.  

Kuban probably gives you the best SP plane set to mix up mid war bombing, Jabo and fighter careers (Bf110G2, He 111 H16, A20, IL2, 109 G4, 190A5 P39 and Yak7B). The A20 is a great bomber thats also very agile whilst the 110G2 is a fantastic all round heavy fighter/attacker. Of the fighters the 190A5 is a great LW machine in which you will need discipline to do well whilst the hunchbacked Yak7B is the quiet star of the pack for the VVS. The p39 is "quirky" and certainly makes you work to bring your 37mm cannon to bare.

Moscow has always been "a completer" for me in that although it has some nice aircraft, none of the fighters really have the online longevity or timeline relevance. The bombers in Moscow are a different story however and if you are a heavy hauler that occasionally like some more frenetic low level raiding, its JU88 may make it essential for you. If you like some early war "querky " the I16 is fun and feisty, the Mig 3 a discipline teacher and the 109s E7 and F2 another nice way of experiencing the evolution of the type in one package. 

Boddenplatte has all the late war toys but is currently without a map or SP career as its still in early access so Id pick one of the others at this time.

Each installment comes with its own Single Player Campaign but I found this to be a bit of grind (im primaily MP though so dont take this as any real critisism - you mileage will vary). To this you can add scripted campaigns from the store (as well a many great free user campaigns although these (the Free ones) sometimes get broken either temporarily or perminently by updates)

Of the current paid scripted campaigns Stalingrad has 2 (one each for a 109G2 and Yak1s69), Mocow 1 (Bf109F2) and Kuban 2 (one DLC for the A20 and one included from the Il2 1943). The scripted campigns are pretty cheap (under $10) and add a well rounded back story to the flying should the limited nature of the campaign mode backstory find you a little uncpativated.

Supplimenting one of the full instalments with some individual collector aircraft is also a good way of spanning things out. The LA5FN and Yak1b will extend your VVS timeframe (online) if you decide on Stalingrad or expand (online of offline) it if you choose Kuban whilst the Fw190A3 adds nicley to Staligrad (offline and on i think) and remains useful in the Kuban period if you prefer LW.  The JU52 is simply wonderful as a module but is woefully under-serviced in both MP and SP scenarios and careers from what i remember (citation needed as Wiki would say). Of the others, the LA5s8 gives you some boot for the Stalingrad period, the P40 is liked by many for early action and the Macchi is a nice, if limited, change. The Spit Vb is also liked but isnt an essential in my view nor is the Hs129 or 109 G6 but your mileage may vary (especially if you want to see what a 30mm cannon in a 109 can do without buying Boddenplatte).

Mission Builder - there is one - you can make it do lots of things - designing a spacecraft capable of taking an elephant to jupiter and back looks easier to me but if such things float your boat.........

Updates. One of the nice things about IL2 is that stuff deveoped for later scenarios can still continue to benefit the earlier maps. So even if you own only Staligrad you may still find the next unpdate has something to improve the way it plays or looks and performs. 

And finally - if you look around the forums you'd be forgiven for thinking that BOS is broken in every conceivable way. Its not perfect (what is) and i think everyone will have their own personal bugz. Theres a lot of good info about both the game and the real world its based upon and there is also a some fair critique but there is also a lot of personal (and repetative) axe grinding which may be fair in some cases but may also be slightly and not so slightly OTT in others. In some cases its just plain over and above what should be exected from a game degined to run well on a mid range PC). So,  if you want to really enjoy the game, pehaps be a little selective with what you read and dont go down the rabbitholes of heresay, heresy, hunreasonable hoptimism and hunsubstitated hopinion :-).

IL2 BoM/S/K/B it is a great game overall with a lot to offer novices and old sweats alike and its one that constantly keeps moving forward at a more than decent pace. 

I hope you find something to enjoy in it as much as we do (even if many of us occasionally pretend we dont)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Niner / JG52, thank you so much for the in-depth help.  I'm now convinced that I absolutely need this game and will digest both posts to help me choose the first one to buy.  The time it would have taken to reply in such detail is not lost on me and I look forward to a chance to pay back your kindness.

I can't wait to get started!

Thanks again. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, contented said:

Niner / JG52, thank you so much for the in-depth help.  I'm now convinced that I absolutely need this game and will digest both posts to help me choose the first one to buy.  The time it would have taken to reply in such detail is not lost on me and I look forward to a chance to pay back your kindness.

I can't wait to get started!

Thanks again. 

Once you get the game, check out some of the IL-2 Sturmovik Resources available.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Hello all!

i am new to this sim, and just getting a feeling for it as we speak.  I downloaded it yesterday, and spent the better part of an hour perfecting my ground loop technique in various aircraft before sorting out the tail lock and braking.  I have a Saitek X52 HOTAS I bought years ago, and pleasently suprised it works well with this game.  I'm not new to flight sims, but this one really seems to be exactly what I was looking for.  I read all 16 pages of this last night, and much to be learned, which I am looking forward to.

i just wanted to say thank you to all of the input I've seen from this thread, and the genuine help without the snarky comments newbies generally get on other less mature websites. We all start out confused, and asking questions is part of the learning process for those that truly want to learn a sim.  I applaud all of you for helping them out.  It's very refreshing.  I'm sure I will have my share of questions as I go as well,  so I thank you in advance on your patience and wisdom.  

I was was gifted a full blown gamers computer system from my stepson, whom is in the Air Force, and recently stationed overseas at Mildenhal RAF for the next two years. (He didnt want to take the computer with him). So on a good note, I can run everything maxed and it doesn't even break a sweat. I got pretty lucky on that deal!

Anyway, lots to learn and experience as I get the hang of the aircraft.

thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Welcome to the community jimg123.  :salute:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Hi all.

Bought Battle of Moscow yesterday as it was on sale. Decided on Moscow purely as its the first in the time line. Plus I can have the MC.202. I have a bit of a soft spot for Italian fighters.

I am new to sims, but I have been looking at IL2 for quite some time. Although I have only had a brief hour on it due to work. Clearly I am going to like it.

Edited by Atlasapl

Salutations,

Welcome to our IL2 Great Battles community.  

I also like the MC 202. It is a beautiful craft. As always.... watch your six.  :salute:

Posted (edited)

Hi.

I have just purchased BoM/BoS/BoK on Steam sales. I played original Il-2 series over a decade ago but I am not up to date with current 1C development of modern flight sims. So I have a few questions:

- Is Il-2 CoD Blitz a separate product sold outside of the Great Battles series?

- There is new add-on called Battle over Bodenplatte in development sold as early access. If I purchase it right now what planes and maps are available in off-line and on-line game modes?

- I am not a fan of tank sims but I have noticed 1C/777 develops Tank Crew game. Is this game meant to be integrated into Great Battles as ground combat module so tank driver can interact in some way with planes and vice-versa?

Edited by Numerian

Posted (edited)

Salutations,

Welcome to the IL2 Great Battles community. :salute:

Yes, CoD Blitz is a separate product outside of the Great Battles series.

Offhand, I won't comment on the Bodenplatte other than to say the P-47 and Me 262 jet are currently available to players and the P-51, Tempest MK IV and P-38 are upcoming.

Tank Crew is fully integrated into the Great Battles series. Although, as is most of the series, it is still a work in progress.

Edited by Thad
Added upcoming craft

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Numerian said:

- There is new add-on called Battle over Bodenplatte in development sold as early access. If I purchase it right now what planes and maps are available in off-line and on-line game modes?

The map is still being developed. Some online servers (such as Knights of the Air and Combat Box feature Bodenplatte planes on other maps).

The only Bodenplatte planes yet to be released are the P-38, the P-51, the Tempest, and the B-25 (AI only). Those planes are due at the end of September (assuming all goes well).

Check out the latest developer diaries. Also, check out the IL-2 Resources post.

Edited by JimTM

Posted (edited)

Hi all again,

I figured I would touch base again after a few weeks of exploring the pages here, watching some YouTube videos, and of course doing some flying, from the perspective of a newbie pilot with very little time in  combat flight simulators. It might help some other new players as well.

Id like to suggest to new players to take advantage of the great information here and do some serious reading! There is so much to learn here it almost makes your head spin.  I won't name names, but many here have graciously put their time and effort to help us new pilots out, and I do appreciate that!  Moving on, I'd suggest getting your system optimized to play this sim, and there are great articles written regarding how to set up the game to balance performance and graphics.  This will keep the frame rates up as much as possible.

if you have a joystick, I'd read how to program it for the game, and a hotas system is nice if you can afford it.  I play on an older Saitek X52, and for learning it's more than enough stick for me.  Plenty of hats, buttons, and rudder control to keep me busy.   Learn the games commands before you fly and it will keep you from being frustrated.  

I started out  with BOS, but picked up BOM and BOK over the last two weeks as there were on sale and too good to pass up.  I got the premium packages for the additional aircraft.  It was well worth the money.

i decided to play at the Realistic setting, but have assist on the coolers mixture and rpm until I get the better hang of everything.  After messing with a few aircraft, I decided on the IL-2 model 41 to learn on, and to play my first career with.  It's slow, forgiving, and sturdy, all the things a novice needs in an aircraft

Initially, I played on quick flight, where I tried different aircraft, and eventually even got them off the ground.  I'd suggest picking one or two, and starting from the parked position, without any targets or defensive guns pointed at you.  After reading and watching some YouTube vids, I worked on the basics, such as taxi, take offs, touch and go's, and landings.  After getting those mostly sorted out,  I worked on the basics of gunnery practice, bomb and rocket placement.  Watch videos, read, and practice!  This will make a big difference later on flying missions in career mode, if you decide to go that route. Use Quick flights missions for practice in all aspects before you commit to actual combat.  I strongly suggest getting used to how your plane acts on the verge of a stall how it turns, etc. and take your time.

the Main reason I didn't pick a fighter is I do not have Track IR system at this time. While I can get away with running the hat on my stick when flying a bomber or ground attack missions, it's a "must have" in my opinion for dog fighting. I've used on in the past, and being able to follow or track a target, zoom in and out, or simply look in a direction hands free is well worth the money.  rudder pedals are also on the list, but will be after. 

After learning the basics, I stared a career in BOM, flying the Il-2 for ground missions. I've just flown my fifth sortie, and I feel pretty good about things.  I can hit the targets I'm aiming at, and get the bird off and back on the ground.  As I get better, I will expand, but I have a lot to learn. 

At this point I am loving the game, and feeling pretty addicted.  I've only touched the tip of what there is to learn, but is been a blast so far!

so to recap,

practice, read, and practice more!  Pick a few planes and learn them well, it's will pay off.  Once you get the basics down, it's easier to fly all of the planes.  eventually I will get to multiplayer, but until I have honed the basics, there are plenty of scripted missions, careers, and open flight to keep me busy.

I hope this helps out some new pilots learn the ropes a little, and not to become overly frustrated or overwhelmed with everything.

Edited by jimg123
typos
  • Upvote 4

hello all, another newbie question.

I have got to the point I wanting to download some skins for some of the aircraft I've been flying, most notably the IL-2 mod 41 for the BOM career I'm currently flying (typhoon)

I don't want to make my own skins, just apply them to the stock aircraft.  I cant seem to find the simple instructions on how to go about this.  I did a search, and even downloaded some cool skins from Krill, but the instructions are in Russian, and I only speak English...

sorry to be such a bother, but ive looked for a few days and haven't found the answer.

im not the most computer savvy, but  I understand I probably need to copy the original file and add some text somewhere...

ugh.  

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, jimg123 said:

I have got to the point I wanting to download some skins for some of the aircraft I've been flying, most notably the IL-2 mod 41 for the BOM career I'm currently flying (typhoon)

I don't want to make my own skins, just apply them to the stock aircraft.  I cant seem to find the simple instructions on how to go about this.  I did a search, and even downloaded some cool skins from Krill, but the instructions are in Russian, and I only speak English...

sorry to be such a bother, but ive looked for a few days and haven't found the answer.

im not the most computer savvy, but  I understand I probably need to copy the original file and add some text somewhere...

ugh.  

Put the skin (except 4k skins) for each plane under the appropriate folder in \data\graphics\skins. For 4k skins, see the next post.

Edited by JimTM

12 minutes ago, jimg123 said:

Download your chosen skin

Unzip it to C>Program Files (x86)>1C Gane Studios>Il-2 Sturmovik Great Battles>data>graphics>skins>Plane of your choice.

If it comes with a 4K .n File then unzip it to

C>Program Files (x86)>1C Gane Studios>Il-2 Sturmovik Great Battles>data>graphics>Planes>il2m41 (in your case)>Textures but rename the file that's already in there before you do, in your case IL2M41_B.dds. Just rename it IL2M41.dds. Job done, fun to be had!!

• Upvote 1