BlackSix

Thread to gather your suggestions

My suggestion to your suggestion. Have the startup sequence include revving up to a decent safe taxiing RPM with a message to make it clear that the plane is set to Taxi RPM at the end of start-up. Otherwise you will trade one noob problem for another, mainly people cooking their engines. When I first started flying the PE-2 I couldn't understand why my engine kept overheating before take off. Basically using wheel brakes for steering with 100% RPM while taxiing doesn't work out so great

Open radiators first and you can taxi at 100 % RPMs. Almost all taxi at 100, better for new player would be default rads open at some range. But I prefer to do all myself, there should be some in game guide how to take off.

Edited by 307_Tomcat
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Gameplay

Explanation of proposals: Pe2 Series 35, spawn with Prop Pitch already at 100% .

Benefits: Don't waste time holding-on your control (keyboard or hotas) to get the prop pitch at 100% for take-off.

I wasted more time (and virtual planes) on an Expert server, trying to take-off with prop pitch at 0%, haven't figured it out yet, and crashing into the grass and trees. Very funny.

Maybe a bit of consistency as well?  I only own BoK so on the VVS side I only have the Spitfire & IL-2.    The spitfire finishes it startup with pitch set to 0 while the IL-2 finishes its startup with pitch set to 100.  Yes the real-life recommended start up procedure for the Spit is to start with pitch at 0 but as the game itself is doing the startup there is no reason why it cannot finish by putting the pitch to 100.  

Type of improvement: Graphic options for trees

Explanation of proposals: More graphics control options, either ingame or in a cfg file, for trees giving the ability to adjust the amount of trees, the fade distance for trees, and the tree detail (reduce the max LOD quality)

Benefits: Lets users optimize the graphics for their own pc better

• Upvote 1

Open radiators first and you can taxi at 100 % RPMs. Almost all taxi at 100, better for new player would be default rads open at some range. But I prefer to do all myself, there should be some in game guide how to take off.

If you ride the bakes and don't keep up your speed to feed airflow into the rads when you taxi you will still cook the engine. I did it many times when I started playing.

Edited by NO_SQDeriku777

Type of improvement: Allow custom skins to be used in the campaign.

Explanation of proposals: Custom skins can be used in missions, but not in campaign. Allow custom skins downloaded from internet to be used also in the campaign, which now allows only stock skins to be used.

Benefits: Immersion, role-playing as well as more choises for players.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Allow custom difficulty to be used on campaign, with certain limitations.

Explanation of proposals: Allow certain difficulty options to be adjusted by the player in campaign. For example, I would like to use full engine management and learn that while playing, but still retain objective indicators...as not all of us are young and with sharp eyes anymore. To make it fair, you could not check unlimited ammo etc options, which makes the game far too easy. But certain freedom of choise with the difficulty in campaign would be much appriciated.

Benefits: More choises for players as well as more customization for the game to suit your own needs.

• Upvote 1

If you ride the bakes and don't keep up your speed to feed airflow into the rads when you taxi you will still cook the engine. I did it many times when I started playing.

Yes, but what it has to do with BOS where it won't happened. Bikes don't have propeller and so also prop pitch :P For example p40 was know for overheating during taxi in hot days - you have to open rads and take off as fast as possible but to do that you need set prop to take off position - like first gear in car.

Type of improvement: Allow custom skins to be used in the campaign.

Explanation of proposals: Custom skins can be used in missions, but not in campaign. Allow custom skins downloaded from internet to be used also in the campaign, which now allows only stock skins to be used.

Benefits: Immersion, role-playing as well as more choises for players.

Type of improvement: Dedicated skin server

Explanation: A dedicated server that can distribute skins

Benefit: Reduce load on the mission server

Type of improvement: Move video card processing of smoke to a seperate thread.

Explanation of proposals:  please consider moving processing smoke effect for city_fire to separate thread on cpu or the GPU.  Currently flying closely to 3-4 fires lowers frames per second.  Going from 60fps to 13-25fps when looking at the smoke, using 4790k processor.

Benefits: Will allow use of smoke effect without the negative effect to experience of user.  Right now no one is able to use it successfully in MP setting without the severe performance impact, and therefore it is not being used at all.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: VR

Explanation of proposals:  A second and alternative VR zoom that magnifies a little more than the current one.

Benefits: With the low resolution us VR users struggle to identify friend from foe. Sometimes it's easy, tracercolors are a dead giveaway, camo colors. wing silhouttes help and if a pixel drops a bomb on friendlies you know it's an enemy. But when for example chasing a 2-engine craft you have to get considerably closer compared to monitor mode, before you can determine from it's six o'clock if it's a 110 or a pe-2.

I realize that with the next gen HMD's and their better resolution this same zoom could lead to an advantage in identification ability over regular monitor users. But then again 4k monitors are already there.

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Interface
Explanation of proposals: Export gauge data to a 777 application or to Helios or Virtual Cockpit etc.
Benefits: Allow use of gauges on a monitor below the main view for a more realistic experience, ability to glance down at instruments as in a real cockpit rather than tilt head down in main monitor view and lose SA. An altogether better experience and very frustrating without it. Most modern sims do this now. Also allows cockpit builder to build their cockpits.

Edited by 56RAF_klem
  • Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Sound

Explanation of proposals: Bf 109 G interior sounds. You have already made almost perfect Daimler-Benz sound for F-models. That match really well to cockpit recordings of G model sounds from youtube.

Please use same (or just slightly modified) one for G models too instead of current one wich doesent sound like real DB in those videos.

Benefits: More realistic and better interior sounds for G model 109s.

• Upvote 1

Welcome

This theme is designed to gather your requests and suggestions. I will regularly review it, compile lists and send them to the project manager. Feedback on your wishes will most likely not. If something is implemented - you'll see this in the game.

Recommended form for registration requests is as follows:

How to make a post?

Think, is whether the offer is reasonable and whether its implementation is possible in principle, and whether it is for other users.

Copy of the above highlighted text in new message window.

Describe your proposal.

If you want to add someone offer simply quote him and describe the addition of the form given above

Type of improvement might be:

1) Graphics

2) Control

3) Damage model

4) Sound

5) Interface

6) Multiplayer

7) Gameplay

8) AI

9) Full mission editor

10) Education

11) Overview

12) Miscellaneous

Any posts not following the above format will be deleted to avoid clutter and help to stay focused.

Please don't write here questions. I will not gather and process this data.

Example of submissions:

Many thanks

I would like the option of the wingman (or as the number 2, or even number 3 in a flight).

It would give you something extra to do on a long mission. 

Plus its good practice for newer pilots.

Type of improvement: Controls / Key Mapping

Explanation of proposals: Introduce a seperate key mapping to apply brakes in russian planes.

Benefits: It would make it possible to use two axis for left and right wheel brakes in the german planes and to use one of these axes as wheelbrakes for the russian planes without interfering at all with the german setup. 

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Gameplay

Explanation of proposals:

When a JU52 drops paratroopers we see a perfectly straight line of equally spaced parachutes.   It looks silly and ruins the immersion.   Can they be spaced a little more randomly and, if possible,  maybe have a little random horizontal spacing too as if some jumpers jumped further out of the door than others (as they do in real life)?

Benefits:

Purely a visual & immersion improvement.

• Upvote 3

Explanation of proposals: On Bf-109-E7 the oil temperature gauge has a large and visible mark at 100 °C. But the gauge shows the engine oil inlet temperature and the value should be kept below 80 °C. I suggest that either the gauge is made to show the engine oil outlet temperature like in the Ju-87 (where the same gauge with 100 °C mark makes sense) or that the gauge is replaced by the one from He-111-H6 that has a large mark at 80 °C.

Benefits: Reduced eye strain of the pilot during operation of the manual oil radiator (basically the entire flight).

P.S. Scratch that, my assumption was wrong.

Edited by OpticFlow

As a UX designer my kind of work deals a lot with customer frustration and fixing pain points. Also I believe there is always room for improvement. I want to give my feedback because I hate when it happens, and i think it's a easy solution to implement / fix.

Explanation: Server disconnects messages... there are none, a lot of times I get this little "monster" inside me when you enter a server, wait while the game is loading and puff, you are redirected to your home screen (hangar), without any reason whatsoever leaving the user completely clueless on what happened. This happens many times, and I actually quited the game many times bc of this. This is bad experience and creates friction but I think it can be fixed quickly.

Benefit: Giving a message to the user on what happened will reduce customer friction, probably reducing "quit rage" and giving the opportunity to try another server (relative to the disconnect message).

ps. my 1st post lol

Edited by ScorpionBlood
  • Upvote 2

Explanation of proposals: Subfolder support for the "tracks" folder. Currently you can manually move your saved tracks to a subfolder for better organization, but the game cannot load them, it tries to open the subfolder as if it were a track (and fails).

Benefits: Easier organization of saved tracks.

Type of improvement: Gameplay

Explanation of proposals:    Allow players to spectate from the airfield control tower. 

Benefits: 

This has two functions:-

1)  It allows a person to see where they need to go to find the runway as it is often impossible from the cockpit and in real life no pilot would just wake up in the cockpit on an unfamiliar field.

2)  Perhaps less important but it is nice sometimes to be able to see what is happening on the field without having to spawn in first and block a spawn point or to watch your colleagues land after a mission without having to stay in your plane and possibly get in the way.

Alternatively, just allowing F2 to be used before the engine is started would satisfy option 1.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Upvote 4

Type of improvement: Change order to wingman to protect you without a flare

Explanation of proposals: Avoid a green flare to be fired and show your position when both are in visual range

Benefits: Tactical to avoid detection.

Type of improvement: Mid-air collision damages or destroys BOTH aircraft involved (online multiplayer) instead of just one. Example: https://youtu.be/aMltUeWgO3c?list=PLocZgsr_VZzvcsG9pnFDUkfYqADLVKgoz
Explanation of proposals: Either change mid-air collision detection to server-side, or at least reconcile the destruction of one client aircraft to also affect the other aircraft that was involved (but did not register it).
Benefits: 
More realistic and fair outcome compared to now (sometimes one aircraft is completely destroyed while the other is totally undamaged). Seems related to server lag, perhaps.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Mid-air collision damages or destroys BOTH aircraft involved (online multiplayer) instead of just one. Example: https://youtu.be/aMltUeWgO3c?list=PLocZgsr_VZzvcsG9pnFDUkfYqADLVKgoz

Explanation of proposals: Either change mid-air collision detection to server-side, or at least reconcile the destruction of one client aircraft to also affect the other aircraft that was involved (but did not register it).

Benefits: More realistic and fair outcome compared to now (sometimes one aircraft is completely destroyed while the other is totally undamaged). Seems related to server lag, perhaps.

You probably don't understand some technical details of online multiplayer games. Most online multiplayer games use client-side prediction to extrapolate where other actors will be (from your perspective) within the next polling interval. Due to latency neither you nor your opponent have either the same, nor a "true" model of the virtual battlespace - there is no single "true" model. What most likely happened in this case is that from his point of view there was no collision, but from yours there was. Your game client dutifully destroyed your aircraft. His did not - because for him there was no collision. The "celebratory" shooting on his part was simply lag - from his POV he shot at and destroyed you. Real ramming is a very very rare occurrence. No-one wants to actually collide except in some rare cases where, out of ammo, a pilot desperate to prevent a bomber from succeeding may try to take off a tail surface with their prop. The likely reason you weren't nailed by 20mm from your POV was again - lag. Get over it - the Internet sucks for games where precise timing of globally-distributed events is important. It is a software engineering miracle that this game plays online as well as it does and there is nothing that can reasonably be done about this particular consequence of lag. Having given it a lot of thought I believe the solution we have is the most reasonable compromise and it usually benefits the attacker. So avoid head-on passes - its a crap-shoot anyway. If you fly LW it is more often than not working in your favour.

It may seem fairer to destroy both aircraft on a first analysis but I encourage you to conduct some thought experiments yourself - it is easy to come up with ever worse player experiences given the root cause of the issue using your suggested fix.

Edited by Dave

Explanation of proposals: Mission briefing screen, aircraft specification tab. Operational data and limits for speed and altitude are given in the metric system (kph and meter) even for British and American planes which only have imperial readouts. For those planes it would be great to also have the imperial value equivalents (mph and feet) in brackets.

Benefits: Operational limits could be memorized without measurement conversion.

• Upvote 2

I don't know how extensive the research is for each aircraft type done in-game,

I expect you already leave eyeprints all over everything you can get your hands on for documentation.

You may even have already done some of what I suggest below :)

Type of improvement:

Personal Experience

The flight modeling team should spend a day at www.stallion51.com actually flying their TF-51D through it's flight envelope,

including accelerated stalls and aerobatics. With a Certified Flight Instructor in the front seat,

a pilot's license is not required, altho if a persona has one ..the flight can be logged and becomes part of their official record.

The aircraft modelers should visit any museums available and major airshows and take photo's of *everything* aircraft related.

Benefits:

This will directly benefit the grasp of how a WW2 fighter reacts to control input in slow speed, high speed, stalls, aerobatics, takeoff and landing.

Museum visits teach about details that just don't show up in photographs 

and occasionally you meet someone who is a walking encyclopedia on a particular aircraft type.

-Just throwing this on the fire ..-grin- .. Not much beats actually sitting in a Warbird as the engine fires up, doing S-turns during taxi to make sure

nothing is in front of you, engine/aircraft checks at end of runway ..and the exhilirating feel as you add power for the takeoff roll, getting pushed back in the seat.

-among many other things- Worth *every* penny.

-Frank aka 'Grayeagle

I would prefer that default in-cockpit settings to equal to the RL shutdown check list... Whatever annoying they are.

Should that also include the mixture cut, the masterswitch off, the magneto off and all. The hell your autostart function then. Edited by ATAG_dB

Type of improvement: Change to in-game map

Explanation of proposal: Add a server configuration option to enable or disable the dots that appear on spawn airfields in Multiplayer Deathmatch mode. Possibly make it a three way option, with the following possibilities: both sides' dots visible, only friendly airfield dots visible, no dots visible. This would be a server option configured just like e.g. allowing or disallowing TacView.

Benefits: The dots are often abused on multiplayer servers, particularly TAW in my experience. Players looking for quick action fly straight to active airfields to find enemy planes. This is inappropriate for many servers which aim for realism, which is why I suggest a server configuration option, so each server can make its own determination.

In the extreme case, one team has more players. The players on the side with more numbers get bored and can't find targets, so they head towards active enemy airfields. They know which one to head for based on the dots, and can thus interfere with airfield operations. This prevents the side with less players from attacking targets, etc. and further compounds any imbalance in players.

I believe (with no real evidence) that servers like TAW would disable the dots if an option was available. 

Edited by 19//curiousGamblerr
  • Upvote 5

Type of improvement:interface

Explanation of proposals:looking at the map when inflight, the mouse pointer would be replaced by a protractor.

Benefits:better, more accurate navigation, and immersion, perhaps?

• Upvote 1

Type of Improvement:  New padlock option.

Explanation: The ability to padlock to the end of the nearest runway while in flight.

Benefit: More scenic landings, better ability to line up while turning into a landing, and more fun overall.

Type of Improvement:  Gameplay

Explanation:  Replace "Intercept" mission type in the static career with two options: "Intercept Bomber" and "Intercept Fighter".  And add a "Patrol" mission type where you fly a flight path and engage, at will, any randomly generated targets of opportunity (air or ground).

Benefit:  Add a little more control and options to the auto-mission generator in the single player static campaign.  This would increase mission diversity and make it more fun to play.

Type of Improvement:  Gameplay

Explanation:  When the Co-Op option is implemented, find a way to use the mission auto-generator that is used in the current static campaign to create random co-op missions

Benefit:  This would add an infinite number of random, well crafted missions on demand to be used by groups of people.  If people are forced to rely on only pre-made mission, they will limited in number and flying the same mission over and over again with your buddies can get old.

Type of improvement: Gameplay, Interface

Explanation of proposals: IL2 1941 add rear glass as a modification choice

Benefits: Playing with different skins and loadouts I noticed the IL-2 1941 has the availability to remove rear part of the cockpit and replace it with an armored glass. I don't understand if it is random or if it's due to the selected weapon load. It would be useful to have that as a mod selection.

Looks like equipping the VYa-23 directly influences weather you get the glass armor or metal canopy (equipping the cannon gets the glass armor replaced). It would be very nice to separate these two out.

Type of Improvement:  Gameplay, Immersion for coming campaign

Explanation:  

What I always lack in simulation games is the immersion that comes with the campaign. We're launching Campaigns, reading briefings, appearing on the runway, flying, going back, etc. There is nothing here between missions. I liked the solution in the old simulator (the first one I played) - B-17 Flying Fortress 2. The oldest Indians probably remember. Between missions we were at the airbase, we had briefing rooms, wing crew rooms, planning rooms and we were able to go to the airport and see the technical condition of our plane (or planes like the wing commander). I know that in the current technology, designing 3D rarities would take a lot of time, but you might want to consider a 2D project in such rooms that we would visit before the missions instead of looking at the tables and clicking on the bookmarks. For example, if the developers took care of such a large newspaper, we could have our room (or place in the tent if we were talking about the field airport), where we would have a newspaper somewhere on the shelf (click and show us the current newspaper), click on our clipboard, and there is a list of medals. We enter the planning room as wing commander and see a map on which we can plan our flight. We enter the briefing room and we can get acquainted with the task and the flight plan. We enter the hangar and we can see our plane. Below you will find pictures of how it looked like in the aforementioned simulator.

Bomber commander room

G2EAQ2O.jpg

Briefing room

xvsH6Wd.jpg

Wing Commander Room

AUiacSh.jpg

Planning Room

Mj2FvLW.jpg

Benefit:  Definetly greater immersion from playing a campaign.

EDIT: Yes, I still have this game installed on my PC :) Sometimes playing ;)

Edited by AlienAlienzo
  • Upvote 3

Type of improvement: Multiplayer

Explanation of proposals: Enable custom callsign

Benefits: Decouple Account Names / Profile Names / Player Names.
Sometimes you just don't need everyone else to know who you are, and if you fly with different Squads, you have to change your whole account's name (and e.g. the forum nick with it) each time you fly with another squad.

Type of improvement: Graphics

Explanation of proposals: Decouple Cinematic View Mode from other side effects

Benefits: Decouple cinematic view (which is fanstastic for outside view in F2 mode) from other possibly unwanted effects like blurred view on head turn, or blurred screenshots.

Type of improvement: Control

Explanation of proposals: Replicate Head Turns using TrackIR

Benefits: Currently I see my head moving around in outside view if I turn my head using mouse movement.
However using TrackIR, my head in outside view stays straight.
Same thing in multiplayer mode, two players using TrackIR don't see each others head moving at all.
This should be an easy fix as it already works in mouse mode.
Edited by SAS_Storebror
  • Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Miscellaneous

Explanation of proposals: Reorganize Forum Tags

Benefits: Currently it seems like Steam Purchases aren't reflected in Forum Tags, while at the same time several Tags exist that have no meaning for a normal user as they're basically depicting nothing but a dev team membership in all kinds of flavours. A tag scheme like "Team Member", followed by owners of each module regardless where it's been purchased from, would make more sense IMHO.

Type of improvement: Controls

Explanation of proposals: Momentary Zoom View - The player's view is zoomed in for as long as the button is held down.

Benefits: It simplifies having to use two separate commands - one to zoom in and another to zoom out/reset.

Edited by Valis
  • Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Gameplay/Interface/Graphics

Explanation of proposals: Customizable object icons (similar to Il-2 1946, possibly defined in a config script file)

- icon visible if LOS to object is blocked (Y/N);

- object marker character or overlay alpha channel image for icon;

- icon visible between Distance A and Distance B;

- friend/foe colour is displayed between Distance C and Distance D;

- distance is displayed between Distance E and Distance F;

- object type is displayed between Distance G and Distance H;

- player name (if any) is displayed between Distance I and Distance J;

Benefits: More options for SP gamers and MP server administrators to overcome visibility issues according to the needs of players.

Type of inprovement: Gameplay/interface

Explanation of proposals: Fexibility in icons/waypoint markers

waypoint only (no icons)

Icons only (no waypoints)

icons air only

icons air friendly only

icons air foe only

ground only

ground frienly only

ground foe only

Benefits: Greater possibility (for SP gamers) to tweak the game to your own preferences. 

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement:  Simpler way to get mapping tools into IL2

IL2Missionplanner.com already does a great job of allowing people to draw up a mission plan but they have to use a second screen or tablet etc. to see the plan while flying.   Ideally IL2 would integrate with IL2Missionplanner or 1C would write their own built in version to be used before spawning in and the annotated map would be visible in the cockpit but both these methods need lot of coding so would probably never get done.

My suggestion is to just add a function to show a jpg file stored in a specified folder with a specified name like 'Plan.jpg' when you press a key in the cockpit.   This is similar to the 'kneepad' function in DCS but simpler as it is only one file.   IL2Missionplanner already allows a person to export the plan to their hard drive so they can just export it to plan.jpg and it will then be accessible in-game just by pressing a key like we currently do when we press 'O' to see the map and briefing.   A person can also choose to put a picture of the layout of their intended target in that file instead if they are happy to navigate there but need to see where the AA etc is.   

Benefits: 

Much less coding to get the same result so it might be more feasible to find time to do it.    In the future it could even be expanded to allow multiple jpgs to be viewed as 'Kneepad' in DCS does.
Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Interface / Settings

Explanation of proposals: Include "Enable VR HMD" checkbox in the launcher screen (see mock-up image below).

Benefits: Allows to switch between VR and non-VR versions of the game without launching the game, going in the settings, change the checkbox and finally restart the game (an unnecessary and time-consuming process)

HH23pkt.png

Edited by Framais
  • Upvote 5

Improvement:

- Education/Overview (Damage model)

- Short listing of systems damaged in track recording

AND when landed in MP; A listing with time would be great.

Loggin them in the ACMI file would also help for TacView users.

Benefits:

- I would lessen the frustration over the damage model.

Be educational during Sqd training

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Visual - Comfort - Immersion - VR

Explanation of proposals: Replace the Steam VR "empty room" (see Screenshot below) loading screen with a proper in-game loading screen (like the ones that can be seen in the non-VR version of the game), when the game is loading a new scene --- for example from the hangar screen to the mission briefing screen, from the mission briefing to the proper game or even when opening the map/mission briefing in-game.

Benefits: Increased comfort and sense of immersion for the player. Also occasionally showing the Steam VR "empty room" makes the VR version of the game look broken and unprofessional.

qQ2lcRI.png

Edited by =WnSd=Framais
  • Upvote 2