Zak

Developer Diary, Part 71

Early access version has been updated:

- Default camera view is saved correctly

- Heading error for radio compass has been reduced at large distances to a signal source

- Signal strength indicator on Pe-2 works correctly

- Weaponry located in fuselage can be damaged by enemy fire and cease to work

• Upvote 1

Can someone tell how to fly the La-5 please :lol::biggrin:  - I keep getting owned (stalls easy). But in a 109 I can make people suffer. I do like the RPK-10 though. Just a couple of well placed rounds and the wing run away from the airplane in fear.

Thanks for the update guys. I hope to pit the La-5 vs. the Fw-190 soon. I think it will be a good match.

Signal strength indicator on Pe-2 works correctly

Is this the signal strength indicator? (pointed out by the arrow).

post-549-0-45347000-1405363867_thumb.jpg

Can someone tell how to fly the La-5 please :lol::biggrin:  - I keep getting owned (stalls easy). But in a 109 I can make people suffer. I do like the RPK-10 though. Just a couple of well placed rounds and the wing run away from the airplane in fear.

Thanks for the update guys. I hope to pit the La-5 vs. the Fw-190 soon. I think it will be a good match.

You can't be heavy handed with the La-5. Keep your speed up - basically you need be an energy fighter.

You also need to realize there are scenarios where you MUST book it out of there or you will die no matter what you do, just like in real life.

When the enemy has an altitude advantage for instance. Only engage when you have the edge.

It's not a difficult aircraft to fly without stalling - just stop yanking on the stick.

How to fly the La-5:

1. Use the boost button wisely.

2. Never let your speed drop below 400km/h

3. Load your cannon with all-HE shells.

4. Profit!

• Upvote 1

I can barely shoot down a Stuka in a La-5!

In the end I have to resort to head on runs and they are good shots!

How to fly the La-5:

4. Profit!

Thanks for this ^_^

The La 5 is a good fighter and because it rolls so well it should be used in the vertical plane, looping’s, Immelmann’s, split s, etc... And never fight alone.

The boost should also be used very seldom! it does very easily kill the engine!

Take also care of the maximum dive speed it is very often that the ailerons do shred and fly without ailerons is very difficult.

Another remark is the fact that the ju87 does fight like a fighter in the duel QMB it is a thing that shall be corrected by the developer team they said so in a previous post.

The only way to counter this is to never let your speed drop Under 300 Km/h speed that the Ju 87 can with difficulty maintain in dogfight. Take care of is rear gunner first.

;)

Yeah why are there so many questions about trims? They are there. if you want them on an axis that's a different issue but the trims are modeled in game already.

Correct and that is  excellent news. It does really make a difference to be able to trim the plane. Maybe on certain type of joysticks it is less of a nuisance but on my Logitech model not having the trims meant to continually having to put an effort on the joystick and for shooting precision mainly on ground targets that was a real pain. Now it is much much better and my hand is also less contracted. Scores have also improved a lot.

Seems that nobody shoots ground infrastructure targets. I know that the main objective is dogfights in the sky but I feel realistic ground damage is as important as damage models and dynamics on planes.

Small houses small buildings are indestructible even when they have been hit by 8 rockets. They are destroyed either if hit by heavy bombs or if a plane crashes on them.

Even heavy machinegun does not destroy small wooden houses or structures.

Is this because at the moment these possibilities are not activated or because the ground structure damage modelling or hit sensitivity is not yet fine tuned.

How to fly the La-5:

4. Profit!

0. Never open engine cowls in a combat situation, unless you want to drop some speed in a dive.

Seriously, keep them fully closed.

And set the oil cooler to fully open and leave it there. It causes only very little drag and performance loss and fiddling around with it is not worth it atleast 99% of the time. Then don't take the unlockable flat windscreen mod, unless you absolutely need it, because it causes a slight performance loss due to higher drag.

Trims were used to help take-off  (trim nose high)  them cruise flight trim neutral depending  the speed and landing also nose high so has to help the pilot to touch down softly.

In combat all trims from what I read were put in neutral so as not to counter act the pilot maneuvers.

Now the trims them self;

1. The ailerons trim are to correct any tendency of the plane to roll (dip a wing or the other) most of the planes did have did done on the ground in really little steps with a little tab at one aileron most of the time the right one.
  2. The rudder trim (on the BF109 this is also a little tab of metal that the mechanics did trim at the airfield before flight) on some plane it is used to counteract the torque of the propeller but on most it is also a way to correct heading.
  3. The horizontal stabilizer trim or trims (once again on the BF 109 they were fixe on the ground trimmed tabs) on other planes they help to stabilize the plane like written higher the take-off and landing but also during cruise flight to compensate the tendency of the plane to dip the nose at slow speed or when some fuel tanks did get empty due to consumption of its fuel. The trim can be used in some cases to counteract at great speed the stiffness of the controls.
  4. On the BF109 for the entire horizontal stabilizer and not only the controls there is an Tailplane incidence adjustment this had the same function than the trim on other planes but following what I did read was more easy for the pilot!
  5. Trims tabs are little but the effects are big. :blink:

I hope this help a little.

Trimtabs are there to release physical effort of pilot to constantly push/pull the stick (which is ofcourse tiresome after time) Try it in all planes (minus 109),trim elevator and see how stick is moving itself (either forwards or backwards).

Messer is different,it moves complete elevator,changing AoA.

Hello ! 

I know I will be a little out of topic here, but could it be possible to add one Expert server, for the next week early access program ? 

The actual expert EU server is quite full most of the time (or maybe expand a little the number of slots !)

I believe we are growing stronger in number and actively following and playing early access, some more slots or server (like 1 dogfight server / 1 full map , on expert) could be enjoyable for everyone.

Thanks in advance for considering this, 

The gunsight of the La5 is still the biggest hindrance in MP. In SP it may still work out but in MP it is just close to useless.

Also I still see that planes catch fire easily. They rather now burst in flame than go down for other reasons. Fire should be not the prevalent damage result (in particular with self-sealing tanks) and even less so explosions because the conditions at which fuel ignites have to be met and the flame point region for kerosen is less large than one might think at first thought (had a fire protection training two weeks ago where this was part of the topics covered :) ).

Edited by sturmkraehe

but.. they don't use kerosene... so a moot point. Gasoline is more flammable than kerosene and I'm not sure about VVS or LW fuel but I thought they were a refined AV fuel from gasoline?

Hello ! 

I know I will be a little out of topic here, but could it be possible to add one Expert server, for the next week early access program ? 

The actual expert EU server is quite full most of the time (or maybe expand a little the number of slots !)

I believe we are growing stronger in number and actively following and playing early access, some more slots or server (like 1 dogfight server / 1 full map , on expert) could be enjoyable for everyone.

Thanks in advance for considering this, 

You can also fly US expert. There will be a little bit of lag, but it shouldn't really be a problem. I can fly EU expert from US.

You can also fly US expert. There will be a little bit of lag, but it shouldn't really be a problem. I can fly EU expert from US.

I am in the US and my ping to both EU and US servers is the same.

It was second patch too? I took update in Friday, but yesterday I had again patch (168 mb). No smoke over Stalingrad now.

Any changelog?

S!

There was mention of damage on internal guns and such. Nothing big.

- Default camera view is saved correctly

- Heading error for radio compass has been reduced at large distances to a signal source

- Signal strength indicator on Pe-2 works correctly

- Weaponry located in fuselage can be damaged by enemy fire and cease to work

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

Siren is cool. But come on. Quit playing the lapino map and take all the damn clouds off the stalingrad map. Or at least put in the rotation a map at a diferent time with different weather. I know you can do it. And GET RID OF AUTO BALANCE. Entire squads have abandon your MP portion because they cant play the damn game together as a squad. I cant believe you guys arent aware of this. Its like you are TRYING to drive away players with bad decisions, when all you have to change are a few lines in the mission. Terrible.

Spot on, Hooves.

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking that.  Out of the 10+ guys we have in our squadron that actually have BoS, pretty much none of us fly anymore for these very reasons you mentioned. 

Edited by 71st_AH_Chuck

Interesting animation, Zak.

Am I right in assuming that you used motion capture on a real person as a starting point? It looks very convincing.

I'm gonna allow me some necroposting here :) Actually, I was a stuntman for many moves that the pilot does, including this one. No mocap, of course.
  • Upvote 1

Can I just say I like the clouds on the Stalingrad map :)

It's clear over the river (and over the clouds) if you like that kind of thing but for us IL-2 pilots the clouds feel like a comfort blanket in case we get Messerswarmed.

• Upvote 1

Lucky you : ) I cannot even connet on the US one (180 ping on it)

Can I just say I like the clouds on the Stalingrad map :)

The Il2 Bos clouds are super neat-o. I really enjoy darting about the clouds. It is really cool watching the clouds envelope the canopy, as you sink into a cloud or watching the reverse, as you emerge out of a cloud. The Il2 Bos clouds have to be the most interesting clouds that I have seen in a flight sim.  :happy:

Edited by =69.GIAP=MIKHA
  • Upvote 1

The BoS clouds are the best I have seen rendered in a game. It really feels like the real thing. I don't have any issues with them on the Stalingrad map in terms of performance, but I'm sure they are probably taxing on lower end rigs.

Couldn't get on the expert server tonight so was playing the normal ones. Quite fun coming through the cloud down onto some unsuspecting chap at 650kmh! Icons and clouds are a fun mix but not awfully realistic in terms of the tactics it can generate.

I couldn't use the expert server, tonight, for some reason. I did get to play for fifteen minutes on a EU normal server. By luck, I managed to bag a La-5, while sim-flying the Ju-87. I didn't get to try the siren out or bomb anything in mp, yet. It should be fun, though.  :salute: MJ

I couldn't use the expert server, tonight, for some reason. I did get to play for fifteen minutes on a EU normal server. By luck, I managed to bag a La-5, while sim-flying the Ju-87. I didn't get to try the siren out or bomb anything in mp, yet. It should be fun, though.  :salute: MJ

I hope they use it to betatest the Focke?:)

The EU normal server worked for me, played two hours CST.

The EU normal server worked for me, played two hours CST.

Yeah. All others work as usual. Only EU Expert isnt available since 2 days.

I must say, its great to see other folks videos, screenshots and positive comments out there, especially with an aim to promote BOS in positive way.

Come release, I wish BOS all the success it truely deserves!

Yeah. All others work as usual. Only EU Expert isnt available since 2 days.

Looking into that.