Bombs in single player

Columbar

Columbar

Hi pilots, 

I encounter problem with BF 109 bomb loadout. It seems not expolode in SP missions (tried quick mission and Odin´s one). Same loadout in MP works fine. Is that a bug or I miss something?

Pinguim
Posted (edited)

You miss that one of the game's "features" is that you can't edit bomb fuzes in singleplayer, so you are stuck with a fuze setting for high alt drop. you also can't change ammo types for your guns, only in MP.

The only solution is going back to il-2 1946 or great battles.

Edited by Pinguim
  • Confused 1

I/JG54_chuishan
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Columbar said:

Is that a bug or I miss something?

Hi Columbar!

You can go to main menu/Options/Plane page, and create a weapon set combination for your Bf109, guns, bomb ranks, bombs, their fuses etc. and press 'save as'. Then next time in SP, whatever Quick Mission or Single Mission mode, you'll be able to choose this saved weapon set.

And German aircraft in this game has a specific 'Toggle Bombs Armed' key bind (also clickable in cockpit). It's the same as those on real aircraft, you need to engage the fuse before drop so that bombs can become alive. On the other hand, most allied aircraft use manual wired up fuses as precaution measure and these wires were removed before flight, so the bombs are alive once they are hanged up. Make sure you check the bombs are armed on German aircraft before drop. :hunter:

38 minutes ago, Pinguim said:

The only solution is going back to il-2 1946 or great battles.

If you don't know anything about how bombs work in this game, then PLEASE, shut yourself up.

Edited by I/JG54_chuishan
  • Haha 1

Pinguim
Posted (edited)

Why don't you make yourself a favor and test your own solution before acting like a child, chuishan.

Protip: it doesn't work. While the selection of bomb types and number carry over, the fuzes don't.

How to replicate the test:
-select the beaufighter, which by default has 0 delay on its bombs

-create a custom bomb setting with delayed action (+6hr fuze)

-watch as the bombs STILL go off on contact.

Searching through the steam forum, the only way I found to change these settings (fuze and round types) reliably is by using FMB. But that means you have to change settings for every single mission and every single plane you use inside FMB.

edit: I really wish they would provide a way to play the game in singleplayer properly. The fuzes/rounds being impossible to change, coupled with some bad default british tracers (annoying small spiral sprites for .303), is a gamebreaker for me.

Edited by Pinguim
  • Like 1

I/JG54_chuishan
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Pinguim said:

Why don't you make yourself a favor and test your own solution before acting like a child

You did it first.

If it doesn't work then say it, then that will be the end of it.

If you don't like it then just go away, leave us along. Instead of fussing around like a clown.

And making yourself like someone damn superior.

• Sad 1

Columbar

I

On 5/25/2021 at 7:41 PM, I/JG54_chuishan said:

Hi Columbar!

You can go to main menu/Options/Plane page, and create a weapon set combination for your Bf109, guns, bomb ranks, bombs, their fuses etc. and press 'save as'. Then next time in SP, whatever Quick Mission or Single Mission mode, you'll be able to choose this saved weapon set.

And German aircraft in this game has a specific 'Toggle Bombs Armed' key bind (also clickable in cockpit). It's the same as those on real aircraft, you need to engage the fuse before drop so that bombs can become alive. On the other hand, most allied aircraft use manual wired up fuses as precaution measure and these wires were removed before flight, so the bombs are alive once they are hanged up. Make sure you check the bombs are armed on German aircraft before drop. :hunter:

If you don't know anything about how bombs work in this game, then PLEASE, shut yourself up.

Thank you very much. I did everything as you´ve said but it does not work in SP (as Pinguim wrote).

So it looks like bug to me.

FurphyForum

@I/JG54_chuishan Why did you feel the need to respond in kind like that? No need for it.@Columbartried your solution and it didn't work.

@Pinguim responded to his question, gave a solution without any fuss or intentionally being condescending IMHO. 

Shake hands and move on. :drinks:

I/JG54_chuishan
Posted (edited)

Sorry for being rude here yesterday...

Personally I put 'flight sim' ahead of 'combat', so I pay much attention to flight experience itself, therefore I really don't mind about all these glitches and issues regarding UI or loadout panel. 

Since I cannot see any other accessible platform, except DCS, surpasses Clod regarding flight model of WWII aircraft, words like 'going back to Great Battle or 1946' really upsets me... Honestly I have very bad experience in both of them, particularly GB series. I'd rather fly a better modelled aircraft with a clunky UI and a bucket of other issues than flying a much 'easier' aircraft in a game with better accessories... So that is what makes me upset... 

My apologies. @Pinguim

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Pinguim

All good @I/JG54_chuishan , if it seemed I was too bitter it's because I recently became frustrated by this aspect (some poorly done rounds/inappropriate fuzes and not being able to change them), since I want to enjoy the singleplayer experience.

I wonder if it's possible for someone to create an app that does this (like the recent joystick wizard made available).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dagwoodyt
Posted (edited)

Is there a tool available to validate the superiority of one sim's FM over another's?

Edited by Dagwoodyt

JV69badatflyski
39 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Is there a tool available to validate the superiority of one sim's FM over another's?

Yes, the Photon input analysis by neural connections ....how more connections between neurons (or morons, depending on the life form ) ,how better the results.
:biggrin:

I/JG54_chuishan
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Yes, there is.

If you don't bother have a look at the de-classified NACA reports on flying qualities and aircraft specifications. There are detailed charts on aircraft's reaction to control input and flying at various conditions.

You can have a pretty good idea about how a certain aircraft will react to certain kinds of input, or flying at a certain condition.

Clod's aircraft perform superbly modelling longitude stability and some aerodynamic features such as adverse yaw.

The other sim which has these features is DCS.

1665794201_QQ20210528222331.thumb.png.83562f81d0aa70dccf9e7408f54335ad.png

1914264278_QQ20210528222411.thumb.png.2e397acc8fdeba66fc44be46ac739c7a.png

Dagwoodyt
55 minutes ago, I/JG54_chuishan said:

Yes, there is.

If you don't bother have a look at the de-classified NACA reports on flying qualities and aircraft specifications. There are detailed charts on aircraft's reaction to control input and flying at various conditions.

You can have a pretty good idea about how a certain aircraft will react to certain kinds of input, or flying at a certain condition.

Clod's aircraft perform superbly modelling longitude stability and some aerodynamic features such as adverse yaw.

The other sim which has these features is DCS.

1665794201_QQ20210528222331.thumb.png.83562f81d0aa70dccf9e7408f54335ad.png

1914264278_QQ20210528222411.thumb.png.2e397acc8fdeba66fc44be46ac739c7a.png

So how did you use your reference materials to validate the superiority of the Blitz FM over GB in a given instance? The other concern I have is that I don't know how those FM constraints apply to the AI of either sim so were you able test that?

I/JG54_chuishan
Posted (edited)

So how did you use your reference materials to validate the superiority of the Blitz FM over GB in a given instance?

Let's take the effect of yaw motion on pitch as an example.

NACA reports measure this character by performing 'steady sideslips', which means a full rudder input transition from the right side to left side, while applying appropriate elevator and aileron input to keep aircraft in a steady sideslip condition. In this case let's have a look at how a Spitfire V performs.

1730469207_QQ20210529000946.thumb.png.91ed4c16e7c0e02d3f2048b0030c2601.png

1929001158_QQ20210529001008.thumb.png.427b765627cd1be831b3125abd4515e3.png

1750870239_QQ20210529001137.thumb.png.20e6dd8dac96fd5b3b6458a8c6e2b0ef.png

As we can see, the aircraft is trimmed to fly at 120mph steady and level. Applying full right rudder deflection, you should instantly need 10 degrees of elevator up deflection to counter the effect of pitching nose down caused by full right rudder input. With the rudder deflection changes the pitch changes accordingly as shown by the elevator motion required. 

Due to engine torque (this is a power on chart), when the rudder input gradually changes to the left side, you can see that elevator down deflection is needed to counter aircraft's tendency to pitch nose-up, also caused by yaw motion.

You can try this test in GB series, in that game yaw motion and sideslips hardly have any instant impact on aircraft pitch. Any yaw input will only cause a nicely dampened and mild motion, which gives you a little bit over 5 seconds to deal with and also causes very mild and very small effect on pitch. In fact if you have a kick at the rudder to full deflection and instantly center the rudder you can hardly spot any change in pitch, while the report indicates that the effect should be instant, obvious and fierce.

This is only one example. Many others can be discussed, you can find it out yourself. The reports can be found easily over the Internet.

how those FM constraints apply to the AI of either sim so were you able test that?

AI is not within my consideration, since I have no control over their aircraft.

Dagwoodyt
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, I/JG54_chuishan said:

Let's take the effect of yaw motion on pitch as an example.

NACA reports measure this character by performing 'steady sideslips', which means a full rudder input transition from the right side to left side, while applying appropriate elevator and aileron input to keep aircraft in a steady sideslip condition. In this case let's have a look at how a Spitfire V performs.

1730469207_QQ20210529000946.thumb.png.91ed4c16e7c0e02d3f2048b0030c2601.png

1929001158_QQ20210529001008.thumb.png.427b765627cd1be831b3125abd4515e3.png

1750870239_QQ20210529001137.thumb.png.20e6dd8dac96fd5b3b6458a8c6e2b0ef.png

As we can see, the aircraft is trimmed to fly at 120mph steady and level. Applying full right rudder deflection, you should instantly need 10 degrees of elevator up deflection to counter the effect of pitching nose down caused by full right rudder input. With the rudder deflection changes the pitch changes accordingly as shown by the elevator motion required. 

Due to engine torque (this is a power on chart), when the rudder input gradually changes to the left side, you can see that elevator down deflection is needed to counter aircraft's tendency to pitch nose-up, also caused by yaw motion.

You can try this test in GB series, in that game yaw motion and sideslips hardly have any instant impact on aircraft pitch. Any yaw input will only cause a nicely dampened and mild motion, which gives you a little bit over 5 seconds to deal with and also causing very mild and very small effect on pitch. In fact if you have a kick at the rudder to full deflection and instantly center the rudder you can hardly spot any change in pitch, while the report indicates that the effect should be instant, obvious and fierce.

This is only one example. Many others can be discussed, you can find it out yourself. The reports can be found easily over the Internet.

AI is not within my consideration, since I have no control over their aircraft.

Thanks for the detailed report. FM test comparison seems almost a topic on its own. On issue of AI FM I think that Tacview support is available for both DCS and GB. Have you access to that software? Sorry for the thread hijack 🙂

Edited by Dagwoodyt

I/JG54_chuishan
10 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Have you access to that software?

Yes, but as far as I know Tacview doesn't show any control input value... which is very important if you want to discuss handling qualities of aircraft. Tacview can however, provide data on aircraft's attitude, which is useful to discuss modelling of the flight envelop. This is a tool that is useful for investigating aircraft performance, also a very important part of flight model, but missing proper data for handling qualities.

As I speculate, AI's FM on DCS and Clod is simplified, or in other words, there AI do not share FM settings with human players performance-wise, since sometimes I can spot very weird AI behavior on both platforms. GB's AI on the other hand, 'seems' to share the same FM setting with human players, but they are never modelled to fly complex maneuvers so I cannot be sure of it

• Thanks 1

Peachy9
Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2021 at 6:41 PM, I/JG54_chuishan said:

Hi Columbar!

the solution is to go into a multiplayer game (create your own server) and set up a load out and fuzes for your aircraft. Save it. Then come out into single player and it will be available. Not ideal but it’s a work-around and has been an issue since day one.

Edited by Peachy9

Dagwoodyt
8 hours ago, I/JG54_chuishan said:

Yes, but as far as I know Tacview doesn't show any control input value... which is very important if you want to discuss handling qualities of aircraft. Tacview can however, provide data on aircraft's attitude, which is useful to discuss modelling of the flight envelop. This is a tool that is useful for investigating aircraft performance, also a very important part of flight model, but missing proper data for handling qualities.

As I speculate, AI's FM on DCS and Clod is simplified, or in other words, there AI do not share FM settings with human players performance-wise, since sometimes I can spot very weird AI behavior on both platforms. GB's AI on the other hand, 'seems' to share the same FM setting with human players, but they are never modelled to fly complex maneuvers so I cannot be sure of it

Thanks for the input.

Pinguim
9 hours ago, Peachy9 said:

the solution is to go into a multiplayer game (create your own server) and set up a load out and fuzes for your aircraft. Save it. Then come out into single player and it will be available. Not ideal but it’s a work-around and has been an issue since day one.

My friend, I just stated above that this doesn't work. You can set up load out, but not the fuzes. You can test yourself with the aforementioned method: try changing the fuzes of the beaufighter.

Peachy9
Posted (edited)

Pinguim

all I can say is that it works for me. I have set fuses on 250 and 500 pound bombs on the Blenheim to 3 and 11 second delay for skip bombing. Not tried beaufighter but did it for JU88 low level anti shipping too.

you need to save the fuze setting for the bomb with a new name for example  “250 low level”

then you need to save a new load out and apply the saved fuze setting and then save that as for example  “anti shipping”

the save again 

then go into single player and go to plane and apply the new loadout

Edited by Peachy9

Buzzsaw
16 hours ago, I/JG54_chuishan said:

Not the case.

In almost every aspect AI use the same flight parameters as human flown types.  They also have the same damage model.  Also the same ammunition loads, same fuel loads, etc.

What are the differences?

-  AI do not have an overheat status for oil and coolant... they never overheat... they do that by being restricted to the recommended engine limits for their type.  The reason the game does this is to avoid the player's CPU being required to monitor the temperature status of oil and coolant for every single individual AI aircraft in the game... too much of a load.

-  AI is not subject to damage due to G loading... they will never fly outside the limits of their aircraft type.  Again, this is done to avoid putting too much demand on the player's CPU in having to monitor all the aircraft in the game.

-  AI never fly below a certain altitude unless in a takeoff or landing routine, (floor) to avoid collisions with the ground, trees or buildings... but obviously when they take damage that causes them to be unable to maintain altitude, they will drop below their floor and crash.

- The damage status of AI aircraft is monitored once they have taken damage... and the Player's CPU does monitor this... this is one of the reasons why large amounts of flak starts taking its toll on FPS... because even if Flak doesn't destroy an aircraft, those little pings cause minor damage... and then any damaged AI has to be monitored.

-  Bullets and Shells are also AI... and have to be monitored by the player's CPU.  Every single bullet is monitored out to its effective range.  Same with shell fragments.  When a shell which generates fragmentation effects explodes it generates fragments which are then tracked like bullets.  There is also the explosive/concussion/shock wave effect which is treated differently but which also need to be monitored by the player CPU... shock wave/explosive effects operate more like the ripples generated by a pebble landing in a still body of water... the wave expands outwards in a circular fashion to maximum effective range.  Again, you can see why large amounts of flak will start to affect frame rates as CPU load increases as the player's computer is required to track all the fragments and shock waves being generated by the flak exploding.

Every object in the game is subject to the game's physics engine... which is extremely complex and realistic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I/JG54_chuishan
22 hours ago, Peachy9 said:

Thank you Peachy!

I seldom drop bombs in single player as I used to do it via local server, I will try that.:drinks:

9 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

Not the case.

Thank you for this detailed explanation Buzzsaw! 👍

Now I have a better idea on how AI works in this game. I think it's the missing G load restriction that makes me confused. Sometimes AI do pull rapidly or having a very astonishing roll rate, but if it happens without G load restriction I can totally understand that.

It's such a fun to shoot agile targets after all.😆

Dagwoodyt

This thread deserves a sticky. It answers questions I've had since original release.

Pinguim

Has anyone tried the beaufighter test and managed to change the bomb fuzes?

Because you might be mistakenly thinking that you changed the fuze, when you are actually using the default one whichever it is. Using the beau, or another fighter with instant fuze whatever the altitude for default, is a better way to verify if the problem only happens for me.

On 5/29/2021 at 2:53 PM, Peachy9 said:

Pinguim

all I can say is that it works for me. I have set fuses on 250 and 500 pound bombs on the Blenheim to 3 and 11 second delay for skip bombing. Not tried beaufighter but did it for JU88 low level anti shipping too.

you need to save the fuze setting for the bomb with a new name for example  “250 low level”

then you need to save a new load out and apply the saved fuze setting and then save that as for example  “anti shipping”

the save again 

then go into single player and go to plane and apply the new loadout

I just tested creating a custom bomb loadout with low-level (14s) fuze settings for the sc250kg in the Ju88A-5/late. Both in quick and single missions, it didn't work. It kept the level bomb setting.

This is frustrating.

And I know why: it's because the fuze setting and the ammo belts are BAKED in the .mis file. Every now and then your custom bomb fuze setting matches the .mis setting, but it doesn't mean you changed anything through plane loadout settings.

Here, I can see the that my custom "Low Level" setting could be selected in FMB, but unless I save the file, it will reman "default". That is the same reason custom ammo belts won't work in singleplayer. This is annoying specially if you want to change something in a campaign. You gotta enter FMB and be able to see every bit of info, destroying the illusion of a fog of war.

1348373671_FMB-Copia.thumb.png.611684918d1e39fcce31855b185a3cd9.png

Dagwoodyt
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Pinguim said:

That is the same reason custom ammo belts won't work in singleplayer. This is annoying specially if you want to change something in a campaign. You gotta enter FMB and be able to see every bit of info, destroying the illusion of a fog of war.

My understanding is that the MP menu is NOT required to set ammo belts in SP. Since ammo belts cannot be set in the mission loadout screen I had been creating and saving custom belts in the Options/Plane menu. The problem is that the original QM .MIS file doesn't change the loadout from default. That is clearly a GUI issue. To get around that GUI-induced confusion I had to copy QM .MIS files into the "Missions" folder, open them in the FMB, select my desired custom ammo belt, save the modded file under a new name, then move the file(s) from "Missions" folder to "Mission" folder so that they show up as an added QM.  If, for example, the modded file has NO tracer ammo it is immediately clear whether the process works. The added quirk for my system is that missions I have created or modded in the FMB load erratically and can randomly crash the launcher. Certainly most users won't have the same FMB problem.  While I don't find Blitz campaigns compelling, I acknowledge your concerns.

Edited by Dagwoodyt
  • Thanks 1

56RAF_Stickz
15 hours ago, Pinguim said:

Has anyone tried the beaufighter test and managed to change the bomb fuzes?

yes, I can change them (unless something has changed recently). Similar to someone elses comment, I have a mission to practise skip bombing. Each for Hurris, blenheim and beaufighter. If you use anything but 11sec they explode on contact with sea so its pretty easy to detect when fusing has been changed

Pinguim
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 56RAF_Stickz said:

If you use anything but 11sec they explode on contact with sea so its pretty easy to detect when fusing has been changed

So I take it you created a mission where you set up, in the mission builder, the correct fuze? This one works for me as well, but it's a poor solution if I don't want to see the backend details of the mission (as in a campaign, which also has the problem of needing edits in every single mission).

In that context, I meant testing the proposed solution of creating a custom loadout in a multiplayer server or in the plane settings and then going for a single player/quick mission, not opening the FMB. This solution did not work for me and other people. Just tested the 11s on the general fuze hoping it would work (was testing delayed +6hrs), still exploded on contact.

Edited by Pinguim

Peachy9

I think in a campaign it depends on the mission builder whether you can edit loadouts. As you say you need to go into FMB and change each mission in a campaign. I did it in the Rats over Tobruk Campaign when it originally had the Hurries carrying bombs even on intercept missions (this has been changed now).

In some campaigns you can still change loadouts.

56RAF_Stickz
2 hours ago, Pinguim said:

In that context, I meant testing the proposed solution of creating a custom loadout in a multiplayer server or in the plane settings and then going for a single player/quick mission, not opening the FMB.

try this, put in icSoftClub\clod\missions\single

start it and see what variables you get if you then select the custom options (for the single beau1c) before running it. I get - empty - 2x250lbStock - 2x500lbStock - everready - 2x250.

From these I just select whichever I wish - the fusing is part of it. Play misssion and it (bomb) works or doesnt (if fuse is too short so explode on sea surface) and assuming you hit a ship and not bounce over it. No use FMB beyond initial creating. The variation is in the loadout selection at least for me

As the last two are some of my own saved bomb and fusing combos they may not appear on yours - cant do anything about that obviously. Thats the achilles heel - can make files but they are baked in.

In theory could have multiple mission files with loadout and fusing in it and you postMissionload it - but I found no way to make which file you want to use selectable. There is a game function write  createSectionFile that enable writing/generating a trigger - but whilst I know it works, it doesnt for me but do not think it would solve the fundamental issue of selecting a mssion file as part of the mission loading.

beaufighter_ship_practice_light.zip

• Thanks 1

Mysticpuma
On 5/29/2021 at 8:09 AM, Peachy9 said:

That's not a solution it's an impractical and unrealistic expectation on a player, when it should be a 'simple' process of changing the load out and saving it from the GUI. 

On 5/31/2021 at 1:29 PM, Dagwoodyt said:

My understanding is that the MP menu is NOT required to set ammo belts in SP. Since ammo belts cannot be set in the mission loadout screen I had been creating and saving custom belts in the Options/Plane menu. The problem is that the original QM .MIS file doesn't change the loadout from default. That is clearly a GUI issue. To get around that GUI-induced confusion I had to copy QM .MIS files into the "Missions" folder, open them in the FMB, select my desired custom ammo belt, save the modded file under a new name, then move the file(s) from "Missions" folder to "Mission" folder so that they show up as an added QM.  If, for example, the modded file has NO tracer ammo it is immediately clear whether the process works. The added quirk for my system is that missions I have created or modded in the FMB load erratically and can randomly crash the launcher. Certainly most users won't have the same FMB problem.  While I don't find Blitz campaigns compelling, I acknowledge your concerns.

And that's just a ridiculous amount of effort to choose your load out, especially for a 'quick' mission in Single Player. 

• Upvote 2

Cybermat47

Improving the load out system is definitely something I’d like to see done. I’ll check with the rest of the team to see if and when it can be done.

• Upvote 1

Dagwoodyt

The GUI thread seems to confirm that major upgrade of the GUI is problematic. Even if the loadout issue could be addressed IDK where it would rank on a GUI upgrade wishlist.

Peachy9
9 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

That's not a solution it's an impractical and unrealistic expectation on a player, when it should be a 'simple' process of changing the load out and saving it from the GUI. 

And that's just a ridiculous amount of effort to choose your load out, especially for a 'quick' mission in Single Player. 

Ok call it a workaround then - its clunky and requires numerous steps and isnt ideal. But i guess the legacy is what TF have to live with and try and fix with very limited resources.

Once the loadouts are set up they are there - so maybe a better workaround is to set up a range of typical loadouts that people can upload in the backend so they will appear in game?

• Upvote 1

Dagwoodyt

TBH the bulk of hours I spend in-game are related to finding workarounds for various game quirks. In reviewing forum posts someone might bring up a game quirk that interests me. I might then pursue a solution to the problem identified. In that regard there is entertainment to be had. Once the developer has acknowledged the rigidity of the GUI it seems pointless to request upgrades that, even if possible, would require a major commitment on the developer's part. IDK how it would even be conceivable that the developer is not already fully versed on the convoluted loadout process required for SP. 

otis_me
On 5/29/2021 at 10:57 PM, Buzzsaw said:

-  AI do not have an overheat status for oil and coolant... they never overheat... they do that by being restricted to the recommended engine limits for their type.  The reason the game does this is to avoid the player's CPU being required to monitor the temperature status of oil and coolant for every single individual AI aircraft in the game... too much of a load.

Does this mean that AI plane engines will not seize due to coolant leak after receiving some damage? What about fuel leaks?

Sometimes I see enemy AI aircraft leaking a bunch of stuff and think to myself "not worth getting down there to finish him, he'll crash soon anyway" but never really monitor what happens to them, should I be going for these?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Pinguim
On 5/31/2021 at 4:47 PM, 56RAF_Stickz said:

try this, put in icSoftClub\clod\missions\single

start it and see what variables you get if you then select the custom options (for the single beau1c) before running it. I get - empty - 2x250lbStock - 2x500lbStock - everready - 2x250.

Thanks. In your .mis, I get the 11s delay no matter what selection I make (even if 0s ever-ready). So indeed the game treats the fuze setting as an intrinsic part of the mission file. Still, I'm going to use this file to train skip bombing!

5 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

IDK how it would even be conceivable that the developer is not already fully versed on the convoluted loadout process required for SP. 

Although they are aware, I think they might not be fully aware that the "easy" workaround, setting a loadout in multiplayer and/or plane settings, has no effect in single player missions (for me and for others, maybe not for everybody). Only the "hard" workaround, using FMB, is 100% effective.

7 hours ago, Peachy9 said:

Once the loadouts are set up they are there - so maybe a better workaround is to set up a range of typical loadouts that people can upload in the backend so they will appear in game?

Yes, I think that would be a nice solution. I liked how they created the joystick wizard for those that have those kind of problems (luckily I never had any of those). It seems there was a community loadout app for older versions of the game (just for the sake of it I tested, didn't work).

56RAF_Stickz
56 minutes ago, Pinguim said:

Thanks. In your .mis, I get the 11s delay no matter what selection I make (even if 0s ever-ready). So indeed the game treats the fuze setting as an intrinsic part of the mission file. Still, I'm going to use this file to train skip bombing!

Sorry it didnt work for you the way it does me, on mine 500lbs always have 11s but the 250s I can select either (maybe the other way about). I presume you looked in mis file and saw it has 0s for 250 and 11 for the 500lb, I assumed they were the non stock options I was able to select. Mind you I shall have to try it again now just to see if it still works for me, or perhaps some other roundabout works inadvertently for me that I am unaware of.

So are you saying it gives you the same 5 options as myself even if all return to 11secs? I didnt expect you to see my own named ones.

Ah well - at least you get some use out of it any way.

1 hour ago, Pinguim said:

It seems there was a community loadout app for older versions of the game (just for the sake of it I tested, didn't work).

There is one that works - or did for me still when Tobruk appeared but RAF only and only for blitz era spits I, II and hurris I, so it aint a lot of help. I think the problem the older one that did LW as well have is it looks for the -MOD directory that used to be TF's first fixes. It still works - they alter the .ini file but you need the directory name correct as its hard coded. A work around is to make the directory, put copy of your .ini file in there, get your loadouts then swap it for original ini (just do not delete it before trying caveat). But as you are aware they only work on the older planes.

Thinking about it, that was when I still used win7 so maybe not - but the RAF only one still just loaded up and displayed my settings for both spit1A and 100oct version.

palker4
16 hours ago, otis_me said:

Does this mean that AI plane engines will not seize due to coolant leak after receiving some damage? What about fuel leaks?

Sometimes I see enemy AI aircraft leaking a bunch of stuff and think to myself "not worth getting down there to finish him, he'll crash soon anyway" but never really monitor what happens to them, should I be going for these?

AI will overheat as the damage is tracked, undamaged planes are not being monitored. You can try it in game load up a quick mission and hit for example Hurricane in the radiator and then wait. In few minutes it will crash land with dead engine.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Buzzsaw
On 6/2/2021 at 2:33 PM, otis_me said:

My apologies for not clarifying coolant damage and AI.

Yes. AI aircraft which take damage to their radiators due to combat are then monitored.  The same process as with human flown aircraft goes into effect once the coolant system is damaged.  So eventually the coolant will drain and the engine will seize.  Right now aircraft in which human pilots can close valves to end leakage, (Bf-109F) do not replicate that system with AI.  Same system as human when damage to oil system.  Same system for gun damage, fuel system damage, etc. etc.

So again, if there is a big battle and lots of aircraft damaged, this will increase load on the CPU.

• Thanks 1

otis_me
On 6/3/2021 at 4:02 PM, palker4 said:

AI will overheat as the damage is tracked, undamaged planes are not being monitored. You can try it in game load up a quick mission and hit for example Hurricane in the radiator and then wait. In few minutes it will crash land with dead engine.

Yeah I finally decided to "wait it out" and see what happens. 

19 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

My apologies for not clarifying coolant damage and AI.

Yes. AI aircraft which take damage to their radiators due to combat are then monitored.  The same process as with human flown aircraft goes into effect once the coolant system is damaged.  So eventually the coolant will drain and the engine will seize.  Right now aircraft in which human pilots can close valves to end leakage, (Bf-109F) do not replicate that system with AI.  Same system as human when damage to oil system.  Same system for gun damage, fuel system damage, etc. etc.

So again, if there is a big battle and lots of aircraft damaged, this will increase load on the CPU.

It's alright, thanks for the info!