Developer Diary 279 - Discussion

NHK295M

Thats amazing, within evere update game become better and betterūüėč

Innovations and new content - this is really important for players, keep going devs!

• Upvote 2
scotsmanFlyingscotsman

Thanks for the update and the team's hard work, really looking forward to the MKXIV, and them meeting a Dora. Doodlebug tipping....hmmm, it'll take me weeks to format on one but it's got to be done...over countryside of course...THANK YOU

LachenKrieg
On 4/16/2021 at 9:40 AM, Badger343rd said:

What does the tiger pic represent in terms of this weeks diary's development "message"??...is it the dirt on the hull?...or simply the skin? I'm not sure of its relevance context ,in relation to the other pic's of damage modeling.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it has something to do with being able to create your own unit numbers in Tank Crew.

• Upvote 2
LachenKrieg
19 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

I think it looks great, not perfect but really good.

and Im really glad that we have something like this.

To have marks for penetration at angle its probably impossible or it will requiere too much work.

also look at the Cologne Sherman photo (with the dead driver) how strange sometimes round that penetrated (or partialy) can looks like.

I'm not sure how @Livai knows from which direction the shots that made the impact marks were fired from, but I believe having the impact mark accurately represent the direction of the shot is very possible. I can't say I have noticed the point he is raising though.

Voidhunger
20 minutes ago, LachenKrieg said:

I'm not sure how @Livai knows from which direction the shots that made the impact marks were fired from, but I believe having the impact mark accurately represent the direction of the shot is very possible. I can't say I have noticed the point he is raising though.

I think that on the first screenshot, one round hit the lower hull and the second one the upper and "probably" at angle, but it seems like the round fell from above and not like the lower hit from the front.

LachenKrieg
7 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

I think that on the first screenshot, one round hit the lower hull and the second one the upper and "probably" at angle, but it seems like the round fell from above and not like the lower hit from the front.

Not sure I have understood you correctly, but couldn't the two shots come from two different tanks (ie. directions)?

Voidhunger
28 minutes ago, LachenKrieg said:

Not sure I have understood you correctly, but couldn't the two shots come from two different tanks (ie. directions)?

Yes, but Livai pointed out that probably not.

but it doesnt matter, good is that we have something and the team can improve it over time

Edited by Voidhunger
Mauler
11 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

I fixed the posters.

Jason

Thankyou Jason for the quick fix and reply on the poster :) The in-game selection at update release?

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
2 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

There are limitations to the technology. It's not going to look perfect at every angle and there are a limited amount of hit decals. It's to add atmosphere and interesting visuals and give players some idea of what hit them. Don't get crazy picking apart every mark please. It's a fools errand.

Jason

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 13
Voidhunger
22 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

There are limitations to the technology. It's not going to look perfect at every angle and there are a limited amount of hit decals. It's to add atmosphere and interesting visuals and give players some idea of what hit them. Don't get crazy picking apart every mark please. It's a fools errand.

Jason

Yes I know and Im absolutely ok with that.

BladeMeister
18 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

Yes I know and Im absolutely ok with that.

Thank goodness.:rolleyes:

S!Blade<><

Voidhunger
1 hour ago, BladeMeister said:

Thank goodness.:rolleyes:

S!Blade<><

Why rolling eyes? I didnt start that, quite the opposite I have defended DVD.

BladeMeister
7 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

Why rolling eyes? I didnt start that, quite the opposite I have defended DVD.

Sorry, it is just that we have not even been able to try out the new DVD in sim yet and you guys are dissecting these pictures and making assumptions and claims that have no basis of any facts to back up what your saying. It's just ridicules, so :rolleyes: was the nicest thing I could post.  The Truth hurts sometimes, but you asked.

S!Blade<><

Voidhunger
1 hour ago, BladeMeister said:

Sorry, it is just that we have not even been able to try out the new DVD in sim yet and you guys are dissecting these pictures and making assumptions and claims that have no basis of any facts to back up what your saying. It's just ridicules, so :rolleyes: was the nicest thing I could post.  The Truth hurts sometimes, but you asked.

S!Blade<><

I know that and my claims and assumptions were only for defending the new tech. Thank you for being so nice. Sometimes is not good to be involved in discussion on this forum even if you have good intentions.

• Upvote 1
ITAF_Rani

Compliment for improving the SIM.

I decided to buy Normandy to help the developing process..

Screenshot_20210419-145146_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1CGS
Jason_Williams
1 hour ago, ITAF_Rani said:

Compliment for improving the SIM.

I decided to buy Normandy to help the developing process..

Screenshot_20210419-145146_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thank you! Now can you convince about 8 million friends? 

:salute:

Jason

• Haha 10
  • Sad 1
ACG_DerSheriff
2 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

judging by his notifications that wont be a problem.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
vonNutz

And I just preordered the GAZ flak truck to encourage drivable vehicle development (thinking the Jeep and Kubelwagen at some point)

as well as something a bit less hefty than a Panzer MKIII for touring the increasingly lovely highways and byways of the new maps.

Plus the niece and nephew will learn to drive in a vehicle like their great, great grandfather--my grandfather--once had, a 30s vintage Ford truck 

looking like a miniature GAZ, same interior, etc.

• Upvote 2
ITAF_Rani
4 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Hi Jason.....don't know if I can achieve this numbersūüėĄ, but sure all my ITAF group is buying !!

Best 

Edited by ITAF_Rani
rodgerdavies

Adoring the pics of the Normandy map, looks like you've learned a lot and given them a very natural build/layout - but even more thanks for the Bodenplatte map updates; each city is looking a bit more unique now. I'm hopeful that one day some smaller villages and farmsteads can be added to it, but the team's doing a really good job and enhancing the 'life' of these maps and looking forward to flying the new one.

TBH, I hadn't been too excited about the concept of starting missions in England and flying over the channel but with the V1 screenshots all that has changed and I 'get it' now; suddenly all sorts of potential scenarios popping into my head.

Great update, cheers.

• Upvote 1
Bonnot
On 4/16/2021 at 6:14 PM, CountZero said:

Towns look great

Yes, one can only be admirative of the artwork, true to the models and gorgeous ,  BUT....

Look at the towns , airfield, bridges etc... on the pictures taken 1944 /45.

None from your list above was probably indemn, 3 yaers of bombing, before ground combat,  let most at least 50%  destroyed, when not 80%....

Should it be possible to have two versions of the maps - the way you differentiate seasons ( ? )_ one like your  terrible Stalingrad, the other the one you present them ?

Smoke and fog could perhaps hide details at low cost ?

Just suggestions , you did a fantastic job and I only quibble on this "Clean War" effect, can't forget I still saw many scares 15 years after the war in Normandy etc....

Cologne Caen 1944.jpg

• Upvote 1
=621=Samikatz

You can set buildings to be destroyed (or even remove them entirely) in the mission editor already

• Upvote 2
Bonnot
9 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

You can set buildings to be destroyed (or even remove them entirely) in the mission editor already

Thanks, unfortunately I never managed to master the editor enough to create workable mission........

So, I play maps : Stalingrad or Kuban mostly

kendo
58 minutes ago, Bonnot said:

Thanks, unfortunately I never managed to master the editor enough to create workable mission........

So, I play maps : Stalingrad or Kuban mostly

That's a good point. The vast majority of players are not confident or capable with the mission editor, so never get to see anything other than pristine towns and cities.

So, maybe the devs could consider providing some way to set building destruction level as a feature in the upcoming Advanced QMB? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
BlitzPig_EL

I've been trying to learn, with varying degrees of success, the mission editor for some time now.  Still have not figured out how to do the building destruction thing, and I'm pretty sure you have to do it one building at a time, not as an area, so it would take insane amounts of time to do, and I do believe that the destroyed structures are a bigger hit on computer performance than the pristine buildings are.

Stoopy
43 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I've been trying to learn, with varying degrees of success, the mission editor for some time now.  Still have not figured out how to do the building destruction thing, and I'm pretty sure you have to do it one building at a time, not as an area, so it would take insane amounts of time to do, and I do believe that the destroyed structures are a bigger hit on computer performance than the pristine buildings are.

@SYN_Vander  created a handy utility to set widespread damage, so ostensibly you could indeed create a separate version of each map with damage as you see fit:

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Bonnot
12 hours ago, kendo said:

The vast majority of players are not confident or capable with the mission editor, so never get to see anything other than pristine towns and cities.

So, maybe the devs could consider providing some way to set building destruction level as a feature in the upcoming Advanced QMB? 

That is totally true for me -although I designed¬† scens elsewhere- ūüĎī

....and I'm afraid to watch a BoN over the garden of Eden -but this don't prohibit me to subscribe soon !

FAW-Tromplamort

Integration of dynamic markings is very well done!

Thanks a lot I will have less skins to do for my squad!ūüėĀ

2021_4_21__15_43_30.jpg

Bonnot

My solution for quick flights over a sensitive battlefield : much smoke, low clouds, mist....

Another problem is Flak , never enough tracers or smokey puffs  to illustrate actions like books or real footage ( just read Clostermann descriptions on low level attacks...)

=more guns firing _less lethal  result !

smoke'n fog.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
jollyjack
On 4/19/2021 at 4:17 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

He convinced me LoL

• Thanks 1
  • Jason_Williams unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
Just now, Cybermat47 said:

A999B230-5425-48D6-8E2C-F87B812CCE77.thumb.jpeg.76ee61431f4e4b25ceb82c2ecaf6d88f.jpeg

Like this?

6300C644-AF80-4D5D-A720-E3C015E11450.jpeg.a7ac90c5690e15a9d82d08b9d2e9d1d3.jpeg

What I had in mind if there could be launchers that would send the rockets over to England. THen a mission designer could set up a mission that if X number of missiles reach England then they lose. So they have to kill the launchers but also have an incentive to intercept the missiles as they are flying in.

Just now, Enigma89 said:

What I had in mind if there could be launchers that would send the rockets over to England. THen a mission designer could set up a mission that if X number of missiles reach England then they lose. So they have to kill the launchers but also have an incentive to intercept the missiles as they are flying in.

Ah, I see. That makes more sense.

Not as fun though ;)

(Also I’d have an excuse for my K/D.)