Have any of the ReverbG2 pre-order buyers received their headsets yet?

Had my G2 for a week but due to work I haven't really had much chance to set up and try in IL-2.

Sold my Rift S a couple of weeks ago so I was very happy when the G2 finally arrived after months of waiting.

Ok, quick and dirty is that in IL-2 this headset is a major upgrade to VR even on my rig which only has a 1080Ti GPU.

It takes a bit of tweaking to get it just right but once there the visuals, colour and clarity are absolutely superb.

Gunnery is much easier now as the detailing on the planes is so much better and I can actually spot at distance now.

In short, if you're on the fence about this headset for simming, don't be, it really is the real deal with VR in both visuals, audio and tracking.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Georgio said:

Had my G2 for a week but due to work I haven't really had much chance to set up and try in IL-2.

Sold my Rift S a couple of weeks ago so I was very happy when the G2 finally arrived after months of waiting.

Ok, quick and dirty is that in IL-2 this headset is a major upgrade to VR even on my rig which only has a 1080Ti GPU.

It takes a bit of tweaking to get it just right but once there the visuals, colour and clarity are absolutely superb.

Gunnery is much easier now as the detailing on the planes is so much better and I can actually spot at distance now.

In short, if you're on the fence about this headset for simming, don't be, it really is the real deal with VR in both visuals, audio and tracking.

What are your settings for the 1080TI? 

Just had email from SystemActive my G2 (ordered Aug 9th) should arrive today hopefully I can get my hands on it before my better half does as she’ll wrap it up as it’s an Xmas present. I have said best that I check it first, hate to be disappointed on Christmas Day with a dud! 😂😂😂

22 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

So, it should arrive as Christmas present.

Hey. I have just got the tracking delivery from UPS. And the delivery is ........ TODAY!!  🙂

Wow, too early. I still couldn´t do proper overclock on my new 5600X and experiment with RAM.  😞

2 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Hey. I have just got the tracking delivery from UPS. And the delivery is ........ TODAY!!  🙂

Wow, too early. I still couldn´t do proper overclock on my new 5600X and experiment with RAM.  😞

:good:

3 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

I got the tracking number yesterday. Seeing your post I checked the status and delivery is today for me too. Finally something that seems to go fast with the G2. Credit to Bestware as they switched to express shipping as a compensation for the long wait.

Just now, HunDread said:

I got the tracking number yesterday. Seeing your post I checked the status and delivery is today for me too. Finally something that seems to go fast with the G2. Credit to Bestware as they switched to express shipping as a compensation for the long wait.

Nice!

You guys are in for a treat.

So...

I had a pre-order from PC-Canada that I placed on August 20th. It has been sitting in limbo since then. I have called a few times and get absolutely no ETA or update,  just "we don't know." I called this past Monday, they said they were waiting for a response from HP about when they might get another shipment. Coming up on Christmas, I fully expected that I would not see the headset until well into the new year. I know some in other countries in this predicament have even had their pre-orders outright cancelled at this point. 

Yesterday, I noticed that the headset popped up for sale on HP Canada's website with an estimated delivery of January. I thought, 'what the heck... may as well give it a try'.

Well, lo-and-behold, it shipped this morning and is expected to be delivered today. 

I called PC-Canada to ask them if they had any further updates. They did not, and said they are still waiting on word from HP. I then requested they cancel my pre-order. 

It seems that someone at HP put a typo in their distribution plan. They must have switched the F in 'FIFO' ....to an L.... LIFO

I am both happy that I am receiving the headset today and absolutely appalled at the way this pre-order has been handled. 

44 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

So...

I had a pre-order from PC-Canada that I placed on August 20th. It has been sitting in limbo since then. I have called a few times and get absolutely no ETA or update,  just "we don't know." I called this past Monday, they said they were waiting for a response from HP about when they might get another shipment. Coming up on Christmas, I fully expected that I would not see the headset until well into the new year. I know some in other countries in this predicament have even had their pre-orders outright cancelled at this point. 

Yesterday, I noticed that the headset popped up for sale on HP Canada's website with an estimated delivery of January. I thought, 'what the heck... may as well give it a try'.

Well, lo-and-behold, it shipped this morning and is expected to be delivered today. 

I called PC-Canada to ask them if they had any further updates. They did not, and said they are still waiting on word from HP. I then requested they cancel my pre-order. 

It seems that someone at HP put a typo in their distribution plan. They must have switched the F in 'FIFO' ....to an L.... LIFO

I am both happy that I am receiving the headset today and absolutely appalled at the way this pre-order has been handled. 

Yep everyone involved seem to have messed this whole thing up big time. Finally got mine today with July 7 order date. Hope it's not DOA or something else. Will try later.  

Pour moi ... commandé il y a une semaine sur le site HP ... avec 20% de réduction ... et livré hier !!
et maintenant je dois l'installer ....et ce sera sûrement plus d'une semaine !!!

Edited by Serdalf

Quick assesment after a brief try. Sadly, 60 Hz is a nogo to an extent that I think it is a health hazard with it's constant flickering. It is possible to get used to it but I think it makes it even more dangerous. Without flickering it would be great. On the bright side I was able to maintain 90 FPS in  a quick 8v8 dogfight with my aging system (4790K/1080TI) with steamVR SS at 48%, Balanced settings, no AA. This was quite a surprise. And biggest surprise was that the clouds on balanced are not shimmering, pixelating as badly as with the CV1. Not sure if it is because of the headset or the devs did something since I last tried.

All in all the G2 is quite a good option with an aging PC too. I will upgrade at some point but it appears now I don't have to rush, I can wait until prices and supply consolidates. We'll see if I can maintain this opinion after trying multiplayer and some more time in the whole thing.

1 hour ago, HunDread said:

Quick assesment after a brief try. Sadly, 60 Hz is a nogo to an extent that I think it is a health hazard with it's constant flickering. It is possible to get used to it but I think it makes it even more dangerous. Without flickering it would be great. On the bright side I was able to maintain 90 FPS in  a quick 8v8 dogfight with my aging system (4790K/1080TI) with steamVR SS at 48%, Balanced settings, no AA. This was quite a surprise. And biggest surprise was that the clouds on balanced are not shimmering, pixelating as badly as with the CV1. Not sure if it is because of the headset or the devs did something since I last tried.

All in all the G2 is quite a good option with an aging PC too. I will upgrade at some point but it appears now I don't have to rush, I can wait until prices and supply consolidates. We'll see if I can maintain this opinion after trying multiplayer and some more time in the whole thing.

I have a similar opinion on the 60 Hz option with my mid spec 2080 Ti.  60 Hz allowed me to step up to the High graphics setting but scenery, to the sides, had a noticeable small judder effect. I, personally, would feel just a tad "off" after flying for 20 minutes or so. 

I have now gone back to 90 Hz with Balanced graphics, Steam VR Resolution per eye at 60% (application specific SS at 100%) and no motion smoothing. Miss the extra eye candy but it is now a much smoother and more realistic experience with only a very  rare frame drop.

I found it useful to monitor GPU utilisation, using task manager, when playing around with graphics settings. My current 90 Hz G2 setup has a 90 - 95% GPU utilisation

22 hours ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

I have a similar opinion on the 60 Hz option with my mid spec 2080 Ti.  60 Hz allowed me to step up to the High graphics setting but scenery, to the sides, had a noticeable small judder effect. I, personally, would feel just a tad "off" after flying for 20 minutes or so. 

I have now gone back to 90 Hz with Balanced graphics, Steam VR Resolution per eye at 60% (application specific SS at 100%) and no motion smoothing. Miss the extra eye candy but it is now a much smoother and more realistic experience with only a very  rare frame drop.

I found it useful to monitor GPU utilisation, using task manager, when playing around with graphics settings. My current 90 Hz G2 setup has a 90 - 95% GPU utilisation

I highly recommend fpsVR on Steam.

Finally received my G2 and managed to set it up last night what a difference it makes so clear compared to the CV1 I’ve had over the last few years. The only problem now is finding the time to use it as ‘life’ has gotten in the way but at least I have it in my sticky little paws and it works will fine tune it once I get the time. 😀

Hi guys i would like to give a big thumbs up to system active uk . I have just had an email in forming me i can claim a £50 cashback for the delays , considering some people still haven't received there's and I've had mine for over two weeks now i think this is a great gesture. 

• Like 1

ALRIGHT!

Good News:

Hello James,

I am showing your HP headset did ship, UPS tracking #1Z9306X40303319906, and is showing an expected delivery date of Wednesday, 12/23, as long as other factors don’t delay the shipment such as weather, etc.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Bob

Customer Care Supervisor

So for the time being I'll be using an older 1080 cardNow all I need is a simple step by step of installing this new "dingus" after uninstalling ( and selling I hope) my Pimax5k. Advice? Precautions ?

• 2 months later...

So just to bump this thread as I'm curious how everyone is liking their G2? I have a Rift S and Quest 2 and prefer the Rift S for comfort, performance, and FOV. How does the G2 with WMR and XMR compare with the Rift S in performance and FOV? How about head tracking? I also tried a G1 and it lost tracking all the time. Obviously the resolution, clarity, and vibrance are better with the G2, but that matters little if you need a supercomputer for a decent experience.

I've had it up & runing for several months of trouble free pleasure...a great value for the bucks .Have been trying ,without luck to get one of the 3000 series gamecards to improve things even further...sigh...

9 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I've had it up & runing for several months of trouble free pleasure...a great value for the bucks .Have been trying ,without luck to get one of the 3000 series gamecards to improve things even further...sigh...

What is your system? 

7 hours ago, =AW=drewm3i-VR said:

I have a Rift S and Quest 2 and prefer the Rift S for comfort, performance, and FOV.

Good to know that. I didn´t know that Quest2 had lower FOV than RiftS.

If I were you I will escape from the Oculus devices, not only for being inferior, but also for leaving the PC-VR business (Quest2 USB cable is a no-no). So Mark Zuckerberg don´t care about high quality PC sim games (flight sims, space sims, race sims). By going to non-oculus devices I think I am helping to the PC-VR game industry, specially IL-2.

Definetely other devices like G2 or Index have higher chances to make your IL-2 VR more enjoyable. In my case I prefered the Index, but most of the people is very happy with the G2.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, =AW=drewm3i-VR said:

So just to bump this thread as I'm curious how everyone is liking their G2? I have a Rift S and Quest 2 and prefer the Rift S for comfort, performance, and FOV. How does the G2 with WMR and XMR compare with the Rift S in performance and FOV? How about head tracking? I also tried a G1 and it lost tracking all the time. Obviously the resolution, clarity, and vibrance are better with the G2, but that matters little if you need a supercomputer for a decent experience.

I am pretty much the same as Blitzen.

I have had mine for several months and absolutely love it, not a moments trouble out of it so far.

There is a bit of a learning curve getting it set up and running to one's liking but once there it is a beautiful thing.

Use mine daily around 3-4 hours on most days.

My VR headsets have been Rift CV1, Quest, and Rift S prior to the Reverb G2.

I also enjoy other VR games like Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Half Life Alyx, Star Wars Squadrons,  DCS., MSFS 2020.

Tracking Controllers with the G2 are pretty good. It has 4 cameras for tracking versus the 2 that the Reverb G1 has. I find them a notch or so below Oculus Touch Controllers in the tracking department, but still certainly good enough for me.

I find the FOV to be about the same as my Rift S really. IL-2 reports it a little higher - it reports my Rift S as 90 degrees and my Reverb G2 as 94 degrees. But I do not see any real difference, but then I am also half blind so not the best to judge FOV.

I do run with most games at 100% resolution which is pretty high for the Reverb G2  - 3160x3100 per eye - but I do have a fairly beefy rig (specs in sig). MSFS 2020 is only one I reduce that and run it at 70%.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

@dburne I have heard the reverb g2 has a 50% resolution mode? I am wondering how this would compare in image quality and performance to my rift s on my modest system (6 core i7-9750h @4-4.2 ghz per core, rtx 2070 max-q, 32 gb 2666 mhz cl 15 ram, ssd) that I plan to potentially upgrade soon once intel releases tiger lake h processors. The rift s holds 70-80 fps in most situations with 1.1 ss in il-2. In warthunder it holds 80 fps on ultra.

Edited by =AW=drewm3i-VR
2 hours ago, =AW=drewm3i-VR said:

@dburne I have heard the reverb g2 has a 50% resolution mode? I am wondering how this would compare in image quality and performance to my rift s on my modest system (6 core i7-9750h @4-4.2 ghz per core, rtx 2070 max-q, 32 gb 2666 mhz cl 15 ram, ssd) that I plan to potentially upgrade soon once intel releases tiger lake h processors. The rift s holds 70-80 fps in most situations with 1.1 ss in il-2. In warthunder it holds 80 fps on ultra.

Well yes certainly you can reduce resolution to 50%, or even between 50-100%.

It also has a 60 Hz mode rather than 90 Hz, some like that as they are able to run without reprojection in 60 Hz mode.

I myself tried it and did not care too much for 60 Hz, just felt swimmy or something to me.

I run at 100% resolution and Motion Smoothing forced at 45 fps, very smooth for me and stutter free. 

Do you guys use the flashlight feature useful at all? I did not know this and just found out about it, wanted to check before giving it a go. 

I do not have the voice control setup, I dislike cortana, and dislike it even more when all my conversations are “listened to”, so I will try it with the controllers first. I need to find a way to turn off controller’s auto-off function. I’m sure there’s one, knowing that I will almost never use the controllers, I didn’t give them a second’s thought after the initial setup.  

On 3/9/2021 at 8:47 AM, kissTheSky said:

Do you guys use the flashlight feature useful at all? I did not know this and just found out about it, wanted to check before giving it a go. 

I do not have the voice control setup, I dislike cortana, and dislike it even more when all my conversations are “listened to”, so I will try it with the controllers first. I need to find a way to turn off controller’s auto-off function. I’m sure there’s one, knowing that I will almost never use the controllers, I didn’t give them a second’s thought after the initial setup.  

Just updating with my thought.. I tried flashlight outside of IL-2 and it’s very grainy and dark to be of instantaneous use while flying. With practice, and a very strategically placed keyboard, one might be able to use the flashlight feature, but I think a well familiar keyboard and muscle memory would help just as much. 

1 hour ago, kissTheSky said:

With practice, and a very strategically placed keyboard

my setup:

1) get a mini blue-tooth keyboard (like Rii brand or similar)

2) strap it to your wrist with some velcro

3) make a small nose gap opening in the headset so you can see your wrist

it's a much better setup than relying on the see thru low resolution cams.  I've been using this setup for 4 years now.

I would think opening a small gap in the nose cover would diminish the VR experience for me (two weeks in, and I still get occasional VR sickness. No need to make it worse.

But as I wrote, a well known keyboard and muscle memory would be just as effective. I wish we all could afford Varjo’s VR-2/XR-2 level of green screen overlay, but I think we might be a couple of years from it. 

21 minutes ago, kissTheSky said:

I would think opening a small gap in the nose cover would diminish the VR experience for me (two weeks in, and I still get occasional VR sickness. No need to make it worse.

But as I wrote, a well known keyboard and muscle memory would be just as effective. I wish we all could afford Varjo’s VR-2/XR-2 level of green screen overlay, but I think we might be a couple of years from it. 

Agreed, I love the new VR Cover I have as it totally isolates everything.

I never need to see anyway, have all my functions that I need on my HOTAS. 

So when I fly in VR now I literally escape totally into that world.

39 minutes ago, kissTheSky said:

small gap in the nose cover would diminish the VR experience

first gen HMD's all had the nose gap. It is a personal preference no doubt, however realizing that an "Inattentional/perceptual blindness" is a real thing you'll be surprised to learn that after 3-5 minutes of a constant staring at the VR picture your brain will complete ignore the nose gap and won't integrate it in to a final picture. After that the only drawback is the light bleed, however that solely depends on the size of the gap. The bleed from a 3-5mm gap is unnoticeable for me.

it's just another option 😄

cheers.

The nose gap is one of the things I love about my rift s...I can see my controls, keyboard if need be. Also allows me to use blue light glasses. I'm just not convinced enough to buy the G2. Maybe valve will update the index without a base station at some point.

Edited by =AW=drewm3i-VR
6 hours ago, 30speed said:

first gen HMD's all had the nose gap. It is a personal preference no doubt, however realizing that an "Inattentional/perceptual blindness" is a real thing you'll be surprised to learn that after 3-5 minutes of a constant staring at the VR picture your brain will complete ignore the nose gap and won't integrate it in to a final picture. After that the only drawback is the light bleed, however that solely depends on the size of the gap. The bleed from a 3-5mm gap is unnoticeable for me.

it's just another option 😄

cheers.

Years and years of working as a diving instructor wearing clear silicon masks, I know exactly what you say, I don’t “see” what’s outside of the lenses of the mask even though it’s almost totally clear. But for whatever reason for VR I feel I need to be completely immersed. More than likely it has to do with my VR/motion sickness. I’ve had the HMD less than two weeks now, and it’s slowly subsiding. I feel if I were to “see” the real world, however small sliver it is, it may trigger “things” to make me sick 😷. 🤢😂

14 hours ago, kissTheSky said:

Years and years of working as a diving instructor wearing clear silicon masks, I know exactly what you say, I don’t “see” what’s outside of the lenses of the mask even though it’s almost totally clear. But for whatever reason for VR I feel I need to be completely immersed. More than likely it has to do with my VR/motion sickness. I’ve had the HMD less than two weeks now, and it’s slowly subsiding. I feel if I were to “see” the real world, however small sliver it is, it may trigger “things” to make me sick 😷. 🤢😂

gotcha, you're still growing the proverbial VR legs 😄, that's a road traveled in solitude. By the way, there is a technical method to lessen the effects of vertigo and improve the VR immersion in one go:

- Add a bass shaker under your chair. Your brain is missing the external physical input on your body vs. what it's observing in the HMD. The bass shaker adds that missing physical input as it's tied to the game, i.e. engine vibration, airframe vibration, landing gear clunking, flaps, buffeting, guns, hits, explosions, etc.

- If you don't know what a Bass Shaker is, in simplest terms it's just a low frequency speaker, that's really it. The speaker is called a low frequency transducer, it needs to be powered by a small amplifier. The sound output from your computer sound card is the input in to the Amp/bass shaker.  There are all-in-one systems (like ButtKicker Gamer2), or you can build your own with parts from Amazon:  a) low frequency speaker/transducer + b) bass amplifier (50-100w) + c) speaker wiring.

Where/how:

1) without software:  just pipe the game sound output directly in to the bass shaker amp/transducer. In SteamVR you can enable the Sound Mirroring, i.e. you will hear the game in the HMD headphones, and then SteamVR will mirror the sound to your computer soundcard so you can output it in to the bass shaker. Con: you'll only experience engine noise/vibration and guns firing, i.e. only the stuff that you can hear with your ears, you'll also feel it thru the shaker.

2) with software: buy  SimShaker software (SimShaker - Wings , look in SimShaker group under Hardware in this forum). This is an advanced setup, and ultimately the recommended way to go about this whole thing. Reason:  SimShaker adds buffeting effect, ground effects (landing gear), buffeting effects, G-force overload (you start feeling it before the screen darkens), and other effects, INDEPENDENT from the game sound you hear in the HMD headphones. It does it via the game telemetry output. You'll simply designate the computer sound card as the output (whilst using HMD headphones for the game sounds to your ears), and it'll drive the shakers that way.

DM me if you need any more details, or hints, or procedures, anything..

cheerios

Edited by 30speed
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 3/12/2021 at 9:14 AM, =AW=drewm3i-VR said:

The nose gap is one of the things I love about my rift s...I can see my controls, keyboard if need be. Also allows me to use blue light glasses. I'm just not convinced enough to buy the G2. Maybe valve will update the index without a base station at some point.

I went from Oculus Rift to Reverb-G2.
Still tweaking, but massive difference.
I have an old Logitech G110 keyboard, with up to 36 programmable keys. Dunno why they don't still make them.
The keys make it a lot easier.
I use M1 = 12 keys for takeoff / taxiing. M2 = 12 keys for flight / fight. M3 = 12 keys for landing.

It takes a while, but you learn your key positions.

Cheers

On 3/12/2021 at 9:06 AM, 30speed said:

gotcha, you're still growing the proverbial VR legs 😄, that's a road traveled in solitude. By the way, there is a technical method.......

DM me if you need any more details, or hints, or procedures, anything..

cheerios

Oooooh boy! You’ll end me in a full 6dof setup in no time! 🤣

I think I may try that but my current setup may not be conducive to that. I built my cockpit for racing sims, so there’s perhaps 3”-4” gap between the seat and the cockpit’s base. Of course having built it out of wood, I can always cut and generate room, but having just reconfigured it (badly), I’m thinking I should go the whole 9 yards and build a completely new one to fit IL-2 (and perhaps other flight sims) a bit better.

I’ll definitely read more into it and will take your offer on advice if I’m bold enough to get into that project. :)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 4:23 AM, TOG_Strewth said:

I went from Oculus Rift to Reverb-G2.
Still tweaking, but massive difference.
I have an old Logitech G110 keyboard, with up to 36 programmable keys. Dunno why they don't still make them.
The keys make it a lot easier.
I use M1 = 12 keys for takeoff / taxiing. M2 = 12 keys for flight / fight. M3 = 12 keys for landing.

It takes a while, but you learn your key positions.

Cheers

Have to promote VoiceAttack again.  @dburne recommended it to me.  Great program.  Free download gets you 20 voice activated command.  Full license is only $10.  I map all wingman commands and "other" commands like map, pause, change position, external views, whatever to the voice commands.  That frees up my buttons for actual aircraft management, which I prefer to do manually because pressing buttons makes me feel like I'm flying :) 

• Like 3

I use VoiceAttack to command my AI wingmen (among other things) because it's so natural and easy.  It requires only one activation button to use, too.