Time for a Skin Makers Conference ?

Time for a Skin Makers Conference ?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Time for a Skin Makers Voice Conference ?

2. 2. where to hold the voice conference ?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/20 at 08:00 PM

Hello All Skin Creators, the situation with skins in Flying Circus is a mess, i have tired to sort it out and catalogue all skins, make them into a easy to download bundle, but the bundle system is not working, i can not create a bundle that is constantly changing, and people are in a hurry to get there skins in, change them, add them, ect. Is it not time every one get together on either discord or team speak and make some decisions, i can still catalogue and make bundles, but we all need to come together to find a way of smooth distribution of skins in between the very slow bundle updates, you will all probable have a better at how you ran the system for skins at ROF. the bundles with be good for new players mainly or people who are not to interested in skins and will wait for bundle packs. please remember i have no official contact to the game and just like to play it with the great skins you all create.

Edited by GCF
spelling correction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

not a complaint 🙂 just a fact , bundles will still work for some things but we really need some common system for in between bundle updates. 

• Like 1

In all seriousness, anything to make your (and collectively, our) jobs easier, I'm fully supportive. I wouldn't limit it to ONLY skin makers. I would be very interested in user experiences and expectations as well ... within a limited number of "seats" of course. S!

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, 1PL-Lucas-1Esk said:

I have some ideas regarding grouping/naming the skins, so count me in!

Yes to begin with there needs to be Historical Skin and Fantasy Skin groups and and files should be all named similarly 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

I agree they can get very confusing. Do you organise by plane type, artist, squad, fictional, historic... all of the above?

Using just J5 as an example, we have both historic and personal skins in our squad created by Rumey. There are also Jasta 5 skins made by Larner, Szelljr and even some by the Dude as well. I also see multiple versions of other historic skins. 

29 minutes ago, J5_Gamecock said:

"I also see multiple versions of other historic skins. "

AND THERE WILL BE MORE BECAUSE SZELLJR IS HOGGING THEM ALL!!! 🤪

I'm slowly working on MY versions of Jasta 15 DVIIs which I'm sure he's already done.

Edited by Adam
On 5/6/2020 at 7:35 PM, GCF said:

I can not create a bundle that is constantly changing, and people are in a hurry to get there skins in, change them, add them, ect.

Its alright (and believe this was your line earlier in the year) to just say enough no more new ones or changes to existing are to be added until the next release (perhaps filename error changes excepted). I had assumed that after the first bunch you collected from my thread in February that no more would be collected for the next release. But then the 'Black Maria' one also got collected. I'm fine for you to cease adding any new skins (or graphical changes to existing ones) that am producing.

1 hour ago, J5_Gamecock said:

I agree they can get very confusing. Do you organise by plane type, artist, squad, fictional, historic... all of the above?

Using just J5 as an example, we have both historic and personal skins in our squad created by Rumey. There are also Jasta 5 skins made by Larner, Szelljr and even some by the Dude as well. I also see multiple versions of other historic skins. 

Never seen the point in including the aircraft type into the filename. And consider that a waste of characters. For example I am in the Camel and so am being shown just Camels skins already so I do not therefore need the skins name to also inform me that this skin is for the Camel. Names such as Camel_L or Camel_A tend to irk me.

Think Combat Box have an skin synchronisation tool available here? I've not used this but could be an interesting solution for skin distribution assuming they would share their creation (or enable FC aircraft to be included). Perhaps shared google drive folder for creating update bundles for our new/updated skins (believe you can download these folders) and then add those skins to the main pack when the time comes.

Edited by Oliver88
16 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

Never seen the point in including the aircraft type into the filename

It helps to sort out files outside the game, or else you will have to open one by one to see what type of plane it is. For who is making a bundle or is sorting files, they should have a name, the same way we name files in our computers with clear details of what they are.

I might have missed something, but to don't specify the plane will be just as messy.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

It helps to sort out files outside the game, or else you will have to open one by one to see what type of plane it is. For who is making a bundle or is sorting files, they should have a name, the same way we name files in our computers with clear details of what they are.

I might have missed something, but to don't specify the plane will be just as messy.

folders, the same structure as the skin folders, and thumbnails for that matter rather than opening them

Edited by Oliver88
26 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

folders, the same structure as the skin folders, and thumbnails for that matter rather than opening them

If you are moving files around, you can't be checking thumbnails. That would be insane if we are talking about hundreds of files. Even dozens of files.

So the names make total sense. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I could never understand why we didn’t continue with the RoF naming convention. We aren’t even restricted to a character limit like we were back then (17?), so there’s literally no reason we didn’t follow that precedent. Even that would have helped us determine whether a skin was historical or fictional due to the fictional prefix, “Z” (if I remember correctly).

Edited by the_dudeWG
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, the_dudeWG said:

Yeah, I could never understand why we didn’t continue with the RoF naming convention. We aren’t even restricted to a character limit like we were back then (17?), so there’s literally no reason we didn’t follow that precedent. Even that would have helped us determine whether a skin was historical or fictional due to the fictional prefix, “Z” (if I remember correctly).

Thought people are still doing that bold part? Granted they seem to vary between z, z_, zzz and etc but last time I checked GFC’s latest bundle (could be wrong) the fictional ones were using the z prefix in some form or other so they get separated in game from the rest by being at the end of the list. Okay rechecked never mind, most are, but not all.

Edited by Oliver88
11 hours ago, Oliver88 said:

Thought people are still doing that bold part? Granted they seem to vary between z, z_, zzz and etc but last time I checked GFC’s latest bundle (could be wrong) the fictional ones were using the z prefix in some form or other so they get separated in game from the rest by being at the end of the list. Okay rechecked never mind, most are, but not all.

i tried the z system but creators wanted there file names left the way they where named by them , some adopted the z prefix, some did not, i only collect skins,  and i respect all skin creators work and feel that since everyone who makes a skin, deserves for it to be seen, but not all feel that way. i acn still keep bundles up to date but will be to slow to work, for people playing the game wanting to publish there work. started this thread to get ideas, i do still have my googledrive folder, so might be able to use that to keep a updatable and changeable skin bundles, i have enought space and will buy more if needed. think there may be a way through gdrive but no tech wizard so dont know how.

discussion is excellent and really needs to be done, we are all interested in the same thing making a great game even more colourfull, immersive and enjoyable.

I think that a z prefix should be on all fictionals. Saves everyone else having to sift through all your 'personal' skins to get to the historical one they want. I also think there should be a historical naming system in place. In RoF, most skins seemed to follow the pattern of [Squadron, Service, Pilot], AKA: 

93rd Aero Squadron USAS, Lt. Leslie J. Rummel
No. 24 Squadron RFC, Maj. Lanoe Hawker

etc. 

although, everyone has to willingly participate for that to work - I doubt that some will...

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, US93_Larner said:

I think that a z prefix should be on all fictionals. Saves everyone else having to sift through all your 'personal' skins to get to the historical one they want. I also think there should be a historical naming system in place. In RoF, most skins seemed to follow the pattern of [Squadron, Service, Pilot], AKA: 

93rd Aero Squadron USAS, Lt. Leslie J. Rummel
No. 24 Squadron RFC, Maj. Lanoe Hawker

etc. 

although, everyone has to willingly participate for that to work - I doubt that some will...

I agree but that's waaaay too long. AND of course you need the aircraft type first. RoF had it right.

FD7_J18_Monnington 

SPA13_US93_Rummel

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Adam said:

FD7_J18_Monnington 

SPA13_US93_Rummel

What do you do about..

DVa_J5_Mai   by Rumey

DVa_J5_ Mai  by Szelljr

DVa_J5_Mai   by Larner

??

10 minutes ago, J5_Gamecock said:

What do you do about..

DVa_J5_Mai   by Rumey

DVa_J5_ Mai  by Szelljr

DVa_J5_Mai   by Larner

??

V2, V3, etc. Same thing that we did in RoF.

@Adam is 100% correct

IIRC, the only complaints about the RoF system was the voting and waiting process, which is no longer an issue. For skin makers, the description files (with translations) and the skin name character limit were our only constraints, which are also no longer a problem.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, J5_Gamecock said:

What do you do about..

DVa_J5_Mai   by Rumey

DVa_J5_ Mai  by Szelljr

DVa_J5_Mai   by Larner

??

how about D5_J5_Mai_byRumey

• Like 1
3 hours ago, J5_Rumey said:

Any organizing would be great splitting fictional and historical like Adam says would be very useful.

From an skin users point of view that is now being forced to download the whole big pack while preferring to keep his HD clean: an splitting into WW1 active countries and that we’re not active, during that period, like Polish, Mexican, Swiss, Swedish and Dutch skins, would be  a great option.  👍🏽 

Also the difference between 2k and 4k would an interesting point to discuss. I do not like the M4today system, of gambling is this skin an 2k or 4k after unzipping. Here in my country we do have an fast 24h/7d internet connection but believe me lots of members are still being limited by the internet. So in that vision if wanting only the 4k skins, that could be helpfull. 

Edited by Dutch2
6 hours ago, Adam said:

how about D5_J5_Mai_byRumey

10 hours ago, J5_Gamecock said:

What do you do about..

DVa_J5_Mai   by Rumey

DVa_J5_ Mai  by Szelljr

DVa_J5_Mai   by Larner

??

Keep in your mind from an skin downloader POV, this extra plane ID like DVa or is not really needed, as the skins are already being divided by @GCF in the plane specific maps. 

Edited by Dutch2
  • Upvote 1

I'd try to keep the old RoF naming convention as it could create some order between tons of skins, also an alphabetical one.

In my opinion, the skins should be split into volumes, like

- Historical, WW1, vol. 1, 2, 3...

- Historical, post-WW1, vol. 1, 2, 3...

- Squadron (virtual units), WW1, vol. 1, 2, 3...

- Squadron (virtual units), fantasy, vol. 1, 2, 3...

The x_, y_ and z_  prefixes would be very helpful as well.

Edited by 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

I can not make a skin ( still something to learn ) ...... But I really like the personal skin , and I up in air have a possibility to see who is who ......

I took a look at the 'box' side for changing skins - it's for the race , but anyway - 

It's really brilliant if we have a possibility a program outside Il2 who can correspond with our skinmaps ........ So ......👍

( My short - be seen / something to say 😉

All those who are interested, in joining in a group voice chat to try and figure some way of dealing with skins, what Team speak server  ? and what time ? Please include time zone.

As a downloader, I'd just like to see a single location that f-ing points to all the various squadrons, skinners, etc. It's chaos right now.

And if you're one of the guys with an assload of skins, maybe find a way to consolidate all your links into one big download?

Your first post should be updated with the most recent files as you update. 

Everyone needs to be making it as easy as possible for me. I don't care about anyone else.

Edited by US93_Talbot
  • Haha 1

okay how about 

UTC, Time Zone

18:00UTC
Saturday, 16 May 2020

think it gives best world coverage, time flexable to change, does someone have a team speak server we can use, have team speak but not teamspeak room only a discord room or we can meet on a public Team Speak server ?

Adam what time would suit you better ? but if you can not make it please leave little bullet points here of what you would like, same goes for anyone else, time is not set in stone was just pulled out of thin air .

I'm also not going to be able to join everyone else on the conference tomorrow, working.

As some guys are bound to bring up naming conventions here's my take on them. There's just three things that any skins name needs to achieve from what I can see. They need to be unique. They cannot contain \ / : | * ? " < >. And they need to be named in such a manner that the players can figure out what the skins depicts and find them again another time. I do not consider that adding the aircraft in the filename aids the latter in any manner. In the game players see just the skins for the aircraft in use so it's no use there. And out the game can organise our workspace and bundles to determine the aircraft types. I do advocate using prefixes such as z_ and etc (or whatever) as those aid the player in knowing that the skins are historical, fictional, etc and also separate out these main skin types groups in the list. But other than that I'm not bothered about there being any more exacting format, fine with skinners preference to a degree. Should one skinner wish to name theirs in particular format then I'm not fussed so long as they have done so in a manner that I as a player can figure out from the name what that skin is supposed to depict.

Wish I had some suggestions or possible solutions for the problems raised in the original post instead.

Edited by Oliver88
27 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

I do not consider that adding the aircraft in the filename aids the latter in any manner. In the game players see just the skins for the aircraft in use so it's no use there. And out the game can organise our workspace and bundles to determine the aircraft types.

I think it's a good idea to have aircraft types included in the file name. Here's an example....

There was someone recently who downloaded my Alb/Dr1/Pfalz pack TWICE (meant to DL that PLUS the DVII pack) and installed one pack in the proper folders and another accidentally in the DVII folder. If they weren't named with aircraft type, he would've needed somehow go through them and manually delete them. 

It's just immediately recognizable for organization etc on the maker';s part and the downloader's part. There's a reason 777 did it this was in the first place.

Edited by Adam