Game version 4.005 discussion: New airframe damage model

Han

Werner_Voss

Knowing that I'm pretty new in IL-2, I'm certainly not an unexperienced flight simmer - almost 10 years of continous flight simming up to now.

And putting all my different experiences from various sims (especially combat sims like DCS, Falcon BMS, Cliffs of Dover - Blitz, Combat Air Patrol 2, VRS TakPack, etc...) together, I must confess:  To me the IL-2 Battle of XX series offers the best damage model and use of weappons/impact experiences I ever had - by far - in combination of its appropriate sounds !!! (without proper sounds it only would be half of the game).

Unlikely to other flight sims (like X-Plane, or an even worse example like P3D) their developers often neglect the need of accurate damage/use of weapons models.  And with this miss they bargain away something very crucial for a passionate flight combat simmer, and this is - DEEPER IMMERSION.

The developers of IL-2 seem to be guys who are actually playing their own game because of passion, not only because of making money - IL-2 seems to be a sim of practitioners, not of theoreticians.

Of course, there is always room for improvements.  But with the current damage model, including the impact of weapons, you can almost feel and smell the damage  - you as a gamer -  have caused. 

And now I can understand why veteran pilots of WWII, both of the axis and allied side, always get a dignified glint in their eyes, when they are speaking about the tremendous fire power their fighter aircraft had (e.g. P-47 and Bf-109G pilots).  And when they described how their enemies got shredded in the air literally, in front of their sight, after deploying their full load of weapons over them.

All the best and thank you sooooo much;  and thank you for constantly improving this wonderful sim.

Edited by Werner_Voss
Sorry, English is not my mother tongue.
  • Upvote 5

• Jason_Williams unpinned this topic
Voidhunger

I just spend some time in the career mode flying Tempest and Fw190D9 and Im not sure about the damage model.

In Tempest for 99% of kills you just need to press gun trigger only once. How many bullets you shoot with just one press of the trigger?

Bf109G6 / G14   - 99% wing came off

Fw190A8 -             99% fuselage on fire

rest is by lost of control or instant explosion

With just one press of the trigger.

When flying with the Dora kills were 50/50% by lost of control or engine fire. (against Tempests).

Hit wing or tail with small burst and the tempest is spinning down.

Its so easy to shot down enemy planes its not fun.

Every mission you can achieve 9-12 kills without spending all ammunition.

I think that H. J. Marseille shot down enemy plane with just 4 cannon rounds once, but to achieve this all the time is strange.

-=PHX=-SuperEtendard
37 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

How many bullets you shoot with just one press of the trigger?

The Hispano Mk V fires at 750 rounds per minute. With four guns it's 50 rounds per second.

Voidhunger
52 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

The Hispano Mk V fires at 750 rounds per minute. With four guns it's 50 rounds per second.

How much sensitive were gun triggers in WW2 planes?

Was it possible to shot only few rounds or it was like one second burst when you pressed the trigger?

Because i shot down 11 planes while flying tempest. if it was one second burst of 50 rounds its 550 rounds. Tempest has 400 rounds.

-=PHX=-SuperEtendard

You can fire just a couple rounds with a small trigger press but I wouldn't know what's the absolute minimum you can do, maybe 8 or so.

You can fire 4 with single press, also you have 600 rounds not 400.

You can always fly P-51, P-47 and P-39 if you dont wont to shoot down many airplanes 😄

• Haha 1