QB.Creep

Peripherals stop responding during gameplay?

This has happened to me twice very recently - I will be flying along and all of the sudden none of my control inputs work. No joystick, throttle, rudder, keyboard, or mouse. The only way I can do anything is by ALT+TAB or ALT+F4. I checked the event viewer and don't see anything suspect. I haven't made any configuration changes to my system recently. I checked to make sure all of my USB connections were solid. I can be playing for over an hour before this occurs, sometimes it doesn't occur at all during a gaming session. Pulling my hair out trying to figure out what could cause this. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Any ideas as to what I can do to troubleshoot the issue further?

7 hours ago, QB.Creep said:

I can be playing for over an hour before this occurs, sometimes it doesn't occur at all during a gaming session.

MSFFB2 and custom hardware here. I rarely play for more than an hour, but when I do, sometimes it happenes that I lose force-feedback on the pitch axis. (It's also reported by other FFB users BTW.) When it occurs, unchecking and rechecking the FFB option may help. Afterwards, however, my controls tend to get locked up, and I crash. My experience is that

- it's rare, but nothing new. Already happened to me more than one year ago here and then, mostly online;

- previous alt-tabbing out of the game seems to increase the likelihood of the issue;

- as with the old sound bug online (now fixed), the only workaround I found is to exit and restart the game after one hour of gameplay.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like something is causing the game to lose focus at times during gameplay.

After you launch the game try pressing ALT+Enter to go true full screen and see how it does.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Sounds like something is causing the game to lose focus at times during gameplay.

After you launch the game try pressing ALT+Enter to go true full screen and see how it does.

I will try to remember to try that if it happens again. I don't think I am losing focus on the active window, though. FYI, I am in VR - not sure if that is in any way related.

The other night I was flying and I lost the use of my rudder.  After about a minute or so I got use back.  This was very similar to an issue I have had related to a USB disconnecting and then reconnecting.  When I checked my USBLogView however there were no devices that had disconnected/reconnected.  So this event seems similar to what you describe.

Note about previous issue:  I have had the issue over time of a USB device disconnecting/reconnecting while flying.  I use Joystick Gremlin and when this happens it  in turn causes my current profile to deactivate, affecting all key commands to be effected.  When this occurs I have to Alt-Tab to reactivate it.  In order to find out the culprit I installed USBLogView.  Once it did occur again the log showed it was my MFG rudder pedals.  The one change I have made recently was to increase the in-game noise filter from .2 to .4.  The reason I did this was Jason indicated that device noise was found to be the culprit behind the loss of vertical stabilizers on some aircraft.    Like I said the recent loss of rudder did not occur during the temporary disconnect of the USB rudder pedals and was different as the profile in Joystick Gremlin remained active.

Link to USBLogView:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_log_view.html

• Upvote 1

@VBF-12_Stick-95 Do you recall whether or not you heard the Windows sound associated with a USB device being disconnected when the issue occurred? I also have MFG Crosswinds. I will make the change you suggested and install USBLogView. Thank you very much for your detailed response!

I used to hear the disconnect/reconnect OS sounds but now my sound mixer keeps resetting System Sounds to 0%, so unless I remember to increase it I don't hear them, thus USBLogView.

I have one of the first 80 v2's produced which had a problem with many disconnection issues.  This was due to a board not handling low voltage issues (if I remember correctly).  Milan sent me a new board and after installing it and doing the firmware install the disconnect/reconnects happens rarely.

I really don't think the MFGs had anything to do with this most recent in-game rudder issue.  Keep in mind, my change to the in-game noise filter to .4 could be what caused the new problem.  😉

• Upvote 1

It happened to me again just now. Symptoms are the same, force feedback on pitch axis lost, menu, uncheck/recheck FFB, then stick completely lost. Rest of the controllers (custom throttle box and rudder) still working fine. Went to level autopilot, disconnecting and reconnecting the stick, nothing helped, I had to bail out.

@sniperton  I used to have an MSFFB2 and had the issue of loss of FFB when I alt-tab'd.  The solution at the time while still flying was to go into settings, then key mapping screen, then escape out.  Some times it worked the first time, other times it took more than once.  This is an old work around and may no longer work.  Either way it's a pain in the butt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

The solution at the time while still flying was to go into settings, then key mapping screen, then escape out.  Some times it worked the first time, other times it took more than once.

Key mapping screen? Never thought of that, but next time I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion :thank_you:

Update: had this happen again today, thankfully while I was in a training server and not in a fight on CB. I found the following in Event Viewer under System right when it occurred: 

Application popup: Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low : Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help.

I was unable to see any popup blocking the screen. Alt-tab in and out of IL2 didn't help me regain control of any input device (mouse, keyboard, joystick, pedals). I looked at the task manager and saw that IL2 was using up 11.9GB of memory! I restarted my PC and rejoined a multiplayer server and the memory consumption is 2.8GB. Possibly a memory leak? Thinking about reinstalling the game. 

Had this long time ago. Not sure if this was the real cause, but it seemed to go away once I changed the way Windows can manage energy to my USB ports. Short answer, I went to Device Manager and selected the USB ports and hubs used by my joysticks, and on each one accessed Properties, selected the tab Power Management and unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". 

image.png.6b500240d4d2a7afbfd02ee1c1981c60.png

Never happened again after this change, maybe you get lucky as well. 

Cheers.

Edited by jokerBR
  • Upvote 1

Hi Creep,

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 1:33 AM, QB.Creep said:

Update: had this happen again today, thankfully while I was in a training server and not in a fight on CB. I found the following in Event Viewer under System right when it occurred: 

Application popup: Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low : Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help.

I was unable to see any popup blocking the screen. Alt-tab in and out of IL2 didn't help me regain control of any input device (mouse, keyboard, joystick, pedals). I looked at the task manager and saw that IL2 was using up 11.9GB of memory! I restarted my PC and rejoined a multiplayer server and the memory consumption is 2.8GB. Possibly a memory leak? Thinking about reinstalling the game. 

The freezing up happened to me a few times in the past as well, last week I had a fight in CB with 4 kills and after the last, while I was in euphoria, my controls froze up while pulling away in full power. After 5 looping, each time closer towards the ground my plane dove into it.. killed. The memory thing seems a plausible culprit although I have 32gb of RAM and use the 2080Ti with 11gb of VRAM, seems to me a lot of leakage is needed before that one runs out of VRAM. I also play in VR and do this in a homebuild simpit making it quite difficult to get to the desktop and change stuff, tried alt tabbing, resizing the game window etc but nothing helped.

I am very curious if reinstalling the game has helped with this issue since it is quite an nuisance in playing CB or even worse TAW.

Cheers

Edited by No.322_FlammKuchen-VR
  • Upvote 1

@No.322_FlammKuchen-VR I didn't do a reinstall yet... played last night for about two hours after getting the latest update and didn't have issues. Doesn't mean it isn't still an issue though since this has happened very infrequently to me. If it happens to you again, open up your event viewer and look under "System" - very curious if you see the same message I saw. It would also be worth looking at your memory usage in task manager to see if IL2 is hogging up a ton of memory.

I will report back here if I encounter this again.