phoenixjohnconnor

No missions, no career, no campaign?

Well you sound like one heck of a nice guy and if you use the mission generator and give this sim some time, I bet you will not be disappointed.  I apologize if anything I said wasn't as friendly as it was meant to be.  I see that you are a Founder...so I was preaching to the choir anyways.  D   

You know...if you hold off for another night out..."Tank Crew" is just waiting for you. 😁

54 minutes ago, haltux said:

That's the whole point. FC looks like an extension of IL2 made for IL2 fans who want to fly WW1 birds. The one that read the forums.

If you forget everything you know about IL2 and you consider FC as an actual standalone game, releasing it now as it is is just wrong. As far as I know, there has never been any combat flight simulator ever released with so few content in terms of what you can actually do with it, ever. No career, no missions, nothing. 

Try to be in the position of anyone that do not play IL2, discover FC, buy it because (s)he loves WW1 birds. If (s)he is not into multiplayer (I am not), it is simply impossible that (s)he is satisfy with it.

The most difficult thing to understand for me is that I can't believe writing a couple of scripted missions per plane, just like in IL2, would be a significant effort, considering that the mission engine is already implemented in IL2.

I dont think releasing it now is "wrong".

Dont folk look into what they are buying and then make an informed descision?

EG. whenever I see a game I like I ensure its got a first person mode. If not, I dont buy it.

As long as the devs are clear on their marketing on what the package includes, whilst it may not be all that we want, its fine for them to do so.

Edited by OrLoK

29 minutes ago, OrLoK said:

As long as the devs are clear on their marketing on what the package includes, whilst it may not be all that we want, its fine for them to do so.

Quote from the Flying Circus product description:

Flying Circus includes ten legendary WWI combat aircraft that you can fly alone or with friends in single-player or multiplayer scenarios.

From this quote, the fact that there is actually no single player mission does not sound crystal clear to me.

I'd like to add that I was not really thinking that releasing FC as it is is morally wrong, but mainly that it is a mistake. I am still fully supporting the developers and I will continue buying their product in the future. But the total lack of single player content in FC1 is hard to swallow.

Edited by haltux
  • Upvote 4

The only reason I complain or whine is not because I do not like FC1, it is because I had hoped it would have propelled the genre back into the main stream. I know it is a niche market product but I just wish they had spent a little time thinking about the "New Player' experience. If they had added all these bells and whistles to a RoF 2.0  even at a higher price point new players would have been flood with a fantastic VR plane filled world. Instead we have this. An attempt to follow the same business model as the rest of the Sturmovik Battle series. a sim broken up into parts that will someday live up to it's potential. With Microsoft re-entering the flight sim world RoF 2.0 could have been WoW!!!!!  But it is too late crying about what could have been. FC1 is what it is a great add on for us multiplayer flyers of the Sturmovik series all you need for it to be great is an imagination...

Edited by =69.GIAP=Shvak

As far as we know Flying Circus will receive a career mode with FC Volume 2. However there is Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator that is a great experience.   

5 hours ago, =69.GIAP=Shvak said:

I know it is a niche market product but I just wish they had spent a little time thinking about the "New Player' experience. If they had added all these bells and whistles to a RoF 2.0  even at a higher price point new players would have been flood with a fantastic VR plane filled world. 

What “bells and whistles” are you talking about?

For any interested in a SP campaign:

PWCG 7.1.0 is a fully functioning campaign right now.  I am adding the newly released WWI vehicles and balloons for 7.2.0 ... coming soon (days, not weeks).  For those not interested in anything not released by 1C ... OK.  

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

For any interested in a SP campaign:

PWCG 7.1.0 is a fully functioning campaign right now.  I am adding the newly released WWI vehicles and balloons for 7.2.0 ... coming soon (days, not weeks).  For those not interested in anything not released by 1C ... OK.  

Keep up the good work and a big thank you for all your time and work.

A multiplayer-only flight sim is a pretty terrible concept since the vast majority of players are SP

I’m sure more SP content will follow. Much of the work on a career mode could be easily adapted from RoF, all the unit info etc 

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

A multiplayer-only flight sim is a pretty terrible concept since the vast majority of players are SP

I’m sure more SP content will follow. Much of the work on a career mode could be easily adapted from RoF, all the unit info etc 

I imagine that is true.  Hell, it's what I did and it is what 1C has been doing with FC.  There is a reason why all of the FC planes are also RoF planes.  One sticking point is that 1C has been a stickler for using only the correct planes.  Sounds great until you realize that the correct plane doesn't exist in the inventory. 

In BoM, for instance, I said heck with it I'm using the BoS Stuka (Ju87D).  1C does not use any Stukas in BoM since they do not have the right one.  I won't do anything absurd, but for me the difference between the Ju87B and Ju87D wasn't enough to not have Stukas.

Similarly, for FC I am using the Halberstadt and Bristol for every two seater role in every two seater squadron.  Why?  They are the only ones I've got.  1C would have to bend a but as well ... or make some corps recon collector planes :) 

• Thanks 1

I tried going through all the replies here am still a little confused.  Single player missions were mentioned at one time as being included, there are no missions on release, I have seen no official word on it...am I correct up to that point?

If so, is there any plan to include some later and why was it not made clear prior to release none would be included?  I fly mainly single player missions and will most likely ask for a refund if there aren't any plans for those types of missions.  I can get that fix easier in RoF.

• Upvote 1

Was so looking forward to a solo career during WWI now that it can be done in VR, particularly since I do not fly multiplayer. Hopefully they are already forging ahead with FC V2. Without the career as in RoF it kinda let the air outta FC a bit for me - at least for now anyways.

Edited by BornToBattle

It would be nice in volume 2 and on we get introduced to more variety of aircraft then in RoF.. 

of course transferring the original ones over would be great, I would just really like to see the weird ones, experimental perhaps.. blimps...  or hopefully that big Russian historical one they had made special for it ...

heck even some post war civilian ships should be nice :)

13 hours ago, JG1_AngryGoat said:

are there any plans for a campaign for FC? or is it just going to be in the multiplayer world?

Ask your JG1 mates for more info....how many more threads about this question from people who can't be bothered to read or search the forum on a topic of interest to them must be endured?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

So, I've been debating whether or not I want to purchase FC... one thing I've been wondering is, for the $80 full retail price, did the developers put in just a much time and work as they did for BoS/BoM/BoK/BoBP?  or did they do less work because they assumed the total sales numbers would be less, so we are essentially getting less value for our money, paying $80 for $50 worth of game (compared to what we get from a BoX product)?

I wonder how the MP community will be.... in BoX, even at the very slowest hour of the entire week, there is at minimum a game with 15+ players in it.  Are there many people playing FC on MP now?

I'm almost feeling like my top incentive for me purchasing it would be to support the developers, but at the same time, this isn't charity.

I also worry about the chain reaction of low content creation due to low sales, which leads to less content creation, which leads to even less sales, which leads to even less content creation, etc., etc., etc., when there is a chance that if the product had been made with lots of content from the start, sales would be higher, leading to more content creation, etc.   It is an investment/risk on their part, and while I understand that they need to see desire for their product before creating it, this isn't crowdfunding either.

While I haven't read up on every bit of information put out about FC, I feel that I've basically seen that, this sim will be made to be great if it has great sales, instead of simply making a great sim and using that to encourage sales.

I know I'm rambling at this point... but am I correct on any of this?

4 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

Was so looking forward to a solo career during WWI now that it can be done in VR, particularly since I do not fly multiplayer. Hopefully they are already forging ahead with FC V2. Without the career as in RoF it kinda let the air outta FC a bit for me - at least for now anyways.

You are shooting yourself in the foot if you drop FC in   its current incarnation lacking career mode. PWCG more than makes up for this.

Sure, it would be better if 1C included career mode, but if you already have the game, not using PWCG is just hurting yourself. Patrick Wilson does an absolute awesome job, enjoy it!

If you don't have the game, then yes, sending a $$ message is probably useful.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FeuerFliegen said:

So, I've been debating whether or not I want to purchase FC... one thing I've been wondering is, for the $80 full retail price, did the developers put in just a much time and work as they did for BoS/BoM/BoK/BoBP?  or did they do less work because they assumed the total sales numbers would be less, so we are essentially getting less value for our money, paying $80 for $50 worth of game (compared to what we get from a BoX product)?

I wonder how the MP community will be.... in BoX, even at the very slowest hour of the entire week, there is at minimum a game with 15+ players in it.  Are there many people playing FC on MP now?

I'm almost feeling like my top incentive for me purchasing it would be to support the developers, but at the same time, this isn't charity.

I also worry about the chain reaction of low content creation due to low sales, which leads to less content creation, which leads to even less sales, which leads to even less content creation, etc., etc., etc., when there is a chance that if the product had been made with lots of content from the start, sales would be higher, leading to more content creation, etc.   It is an investment/risk on their part, and while I understand that they need to see desire for their product before creating it, this isn't crowdfunding either.

While I haven't read up on every bit of information put out about FC, I feel that I've basically seen that, this sim will be made to be great if it has great sales, instead of simply making a great sim and using that to encourage sales.

I know I'm rambling at this point... but am I correct on any of this?

Hello FeuerFligen; these are all good questions. I am not a developer, tester or anything. I have been flying exclusively WWI sims since the Red Baron days. Oh I have tried the WWII sims here and there but find I really prefer the WWI sims. Since Flying Circus has come out in early access, I have been watching the servers pretty close in regards to IL2. You are correct that the WWII servers are active most of the time, however that being said WWI has a distinct following and the numbers may be some what less than the WWII. The Flying Circus servers is currently recording about 25 to 30 players a day. The times do vary because the demographics of where these players live is so vast, not to mention real life also hinders the numbers some.

The support of the sim is critical to it's survival. I feel another critical area is it's forums which is sadly a magnet for critical people who's only desire is to negatively post what is bad about the sim. There are some who are looking for information so they can decide if spending money on the sim will give them what they desire in a gaming experience.

To me, Flying Circus is a fantastic sim worth every penny spent on it's development. The developers have done a really fantastic job in it's creation.

Some will say it is just a redo of Rise of Flight. I do not know for sure nor do I care. What I care about is the experience I get while in the sim. Yes the sim is in it's early stage and in my opinion you will not find a better WWI sim for the multiplayer experience. I think the sim will continue to develop. What is critical in my view is the support it gets along the way. I would only caution you to take what you find in the forums with a grain of salt. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of good information in the forums but there is also a lot of garbage and you will have to filter it as you see fit.

Bottom line if you like WWI multiplater then FC is a sim you do not want to pass up.

• Thanks 2

I am all for SP , but current career feature got some critique as is. I wonder if this is to be revisited before FC finally get it

@FeuerFliegen  read all the posts directly above your post and review the titles of active threads on the first page.   You are restating a simple question that has been being asked by many people already the answer to which has been answered by many others very simply....if you like or are interested in WWI flight sims, Flying Circus is THE community of the only next generation WWI flight sim.  It has a growing multiplayer base built over decades with 50+ players flying multiple times per week. It has three options for offline solo play:

1. Built in Quick Mission Builder (QMB).

2. Developer supported campaign generator called Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator (PWCG).

3. Vanders Mission Generator https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/43 ... generator/

Edited by J5_Baeumer
  • Upvote 1

This particular release of both FC and BoBP is starting to feel very DCS-like.  A  long early access and then a release missing some important pieces that are either part of the initial plan or are typically assumed to be included.  Then a commitment from the devs to add those pieces in the future.  The main difference right now is that these guys don't have a track record of failing to deliver...right now.  But I can see the creep towards the DCS-like model of devs' promises drifting into the ether and instead moving on to the next product launch.  I'm not saying these guys are doing that, but I see the progression over the last launches.

Please, don't be like that.

On 11/9/2019 at 8:39 AM, haltux said:

Quote from the Flying Circus product description:

Flying Circus includes ten legendary WWI combat aircraft that you can fly alone or with friends in single-player or multiplayer scenarios.

From this quote, the fact that there is actually no single player mission does not sound crystal clear to me.

I'd like to add that I was not really thinking that releasing FC as it is is morally wrong, but mainly that it is a mistake. I am still fully supporting the developers and I will continue buying their product in the future. But the total lack of single player content in FC1 is hard to swallow.

What? Nowhere in the quote were developer create single player missions or multiplayer scenarios indicated for inclusion in the initial release of FC. 😕

It does sound misleading. Then what is your definition of a single player scenario? They could have just mentioned flying planes, no need to add what's not there.

Edited by yaan98
  • Upvote 1

Enough of this for me. I'm done wasting time. 

Going flying to have some fun.  :salute:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Thad said:

Enough of this for me. I'm done wasting time. 

Going flying to have some fun.  :salute:

Bye!

From what I see Bodenplatte has no campaign either, both finished the same time, So do we complain about that too or wait for it to arrive.  

Maybe some kind people kind share a campaign using PW editor or something made from SYN_Vanders app to tie you over until 1c1 builds some for the community. 

Long time simmer first time caller..

Generally when a company releases too early its a sign of financial trouble

I'm happy to support but they really should try to manage expectations and be as forthright as possible as soon as possible.

I was definitely a little disappointed and surprised at the lack of SP content.

I'm gonna prepare myself for the worst and hope for the best.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Janman said:

Long time simmer first time caller..

I'm happy to support but they really should try to manage expectations and be as forthright as possible as soon as possible.

I'm gonna prepare myself for the worst and hope for the best.

Welcome to the forum! Please keep posting, we always need more voices.

As for releasing too early, I was expecting more bugfixes, but the scope is exactly as promised. Which is to say: no SP promises were made beyond quick missions and access to the mission editor to make our own.

Perhaps we’ll get a campaign or career in a later volume, though you will find that the community here is quite MP-centric. Not a bad thing, really, it really is where this sim shines. Have you tried it?

Edited by J5_Hellbender

7 minutes ago, Janman said:

They didn’t release too early.  They released exactly what they promised.  If you were expecting more, that’s on you.  

1 hour ago, J5_Hellbender said:

you will find that the community here is quite MP-centric. 

Not really. Just the ones who tend to post on the forums. I really hope that there are more players in this game than the paltry numbers you see online. That certainly isn’t the majority...

1 hour ago, NO.28W_Barker said:

From what I see Bodenplatte has no campaign either,

The “campaigns” in this series are the Career Modes. Bodenplatte has one, it’s called Battle of the Rhineland. If you mean the separate DLC campaigns I’m sure they will be available shortly. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

They didn’t release too early.

I think development for FC1 began TOO SOON and the devs should have waited a bit longer before starting development. E.g. No Career mode because the devs are still tweaking the Pilot Career for IL-2 GBs; they should have waited till that was all done before starting FC1 development. BTW there's a pretty good Pilot Career in RoF that got improved and added to IL-2 GBs in patch 3.001

2 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

They released exactly what they promised.  If you were expecting more, that’s on you.  

Basically for FC they're just refurbishing existing models from RoF and not really starting from scratch like all the other Battles and TC. Thus, people probably expected/anticipated that we would get Arras map, 10 WW1 planes, and every other thing in RoF save for the other planes, maps, Pilot Career, maybe training campaign in FC1, but not exactly.

Edited by Novice-Flyer
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Ask your JG1 mates for more info....how many more threads about this question from people who can't be bothered to read or search the forum on a topic of interest to them must be endured?

Image result for gladiator are you not entertained gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The “campaigns” in this series are the Career Modes. Bodenplatte has one, it’s called Battle of the Rhineland. If you mean the separate DLC campaigns I’m sure they will be available shortly. 

I'm not too worried about it SharpeXB and know it'll come when it's ready, And I was meaning the DLC campaigns, 

As I stated in the RoF days before. Single player =WOFF. Multiplayer = this place. IL2 can't compete with the WOFF career and its immersionand WOFF can't compete with IL"s graphics and overall fidelity.

• Upvote 2

+1 for 1CGS campaign, I hope as Christmas gift ;) ...

1 hour ago, J2-Oelmann said:

As I stated in the RoF days before. Single player =WOFF. Multiplayer = this place. IL2 can't compete with the WOFF career and its immersionand WOFF can't compete with IL"s graphics and overall fidelity.

LMAO  Is this Hi Fidelity ?

"Kick it up another another 3 or 4 quads per channel.  But that's technical talk.  That doesn't really concern you."

image.jpeg.531db72c6346ac90db9ed34d4b71fae6.jpeg

Edited by J5_Klugermann

1 hour ago, J2-Oelmann said:

Would it really take that much to do something like WoFF's campaign?  From what I understand most of the work was converting a flight simulator that wasnt made for WW1.

And then just look what Pat Wilson is able to do.

Of course WoFFs flight models are really hard to cope with after playing RoF and FC.  Seems like what little market there is is ripe for something that would blend the two.  It's a shame that a handful of modders seem more motivated than the devs in this regard, but I'm still happy to have them (the modders).