Jump to content
Soilworker

Thought I might share a project I'm working on...

Recommended Posts

I've been working on a control lever quadrant for my simpit for a wee while now and thought I'd share my progress as I figure it might interest a few of my fellow IL-2 enthusiasts. 

 

It's basically to replace the Logitech/Saitek throttle quadrant I have currently mounted (those noisy pots... 🙄) with a rugged, 4 lever, hall sensor based version. The levers will be from left to right:

 

Water Radiators

Oil Radiators

Propeller RPM

Mixture

 

20190919_142153.thumb.jpg.520c5019f03f7a1abfc856399cf64e3d.jpg

20190919_142211.thumb.jpg.fea05288ac4cff718405a8179fef6389.jpg

Edited by Soilworker
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impressive metal craftsmanship.

The friction solution is interesting. :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another budding controller designer - thanks for sharing with us.  Looks awesome.  I look forward to learning more as you share your progress.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. Yeah I'll post more pics when I've made more progress.

 

@Sokol1 Yes the friction system was born out of a want for adjustment and lateral space saving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

@Soilworker Please keep this thread alive!!

 

Sure matey, I'll see what I can do. 😅

 

Just depends on when I get round to doing more on it, there are a couple of hold ups at the moment. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 8:08 AM, Soilworker said:

I've been working on a control lever quadrant for my simpit for a wee while now and thought I'd share my progress as I figure it might interest a few of my fellow IL-2 enthusiasts. 

 

It's basically to replace the Logitech/Saitek throttle quadrant I have currently mounted (those noisy pots... 🙄) with a rugged, 4 lever, hall sensor based version. The levers will be from left to right:

 

Water Radiators

Oil Radiators

Propeller RPM

Mixture

 

20190919_142153.thumb.jpg.520c5019f03f7a1abfc856399cf64e3d.jpg

20190919_142211.thumb.jpg.fea05288ac4cff718405a8179fef6389.jpg

 

 

I envy your metalworking tools so much! I personally am stuck to working with plastic and 3d printers 😢 (they can be great too though)

 

Do you mind telling me which hall sensor are you planning to use? I want to change mine to some that have more than 35 degrees of motion!

Edited by SAG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SAG said:

 

 

I envy your metalworking tools so much! I personally am stuck to working with plastic and 3d printers 😢 (they can be great too though)

 

Do you mind telling me which hall sensor are you planning to use? I want to change mine to some that have more than 35 degrees of motion!

 

Well that's a perk of being a Toolmaker I guess, however in return I envy your 3D printer! (I do have a friend with one who's going to print the housing for this project though.) 

 

Hall sensors are the good old Allegro A1302's which I'll use with two neodymium magnets each. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 6:02 PM, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

What machining technique are you using here? CNC, or manual work?

 

Sorry, forgot to answer that! Don't have a CNC so all manual, even the drawings! I'm kind of a hipster machinist. 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Soilworker said:

 

Well that's a perk of being a Toolmaker I guess, however in return I envy your 3D printer! (I do have a friend with one who's going to print the housing for this project though.) 

 

Hall sensors are the good old Allegro A1302's which I'll use with two neodymium magnets each. 

 

 

 

I was affraid of that, where are you sourcing them from? i'm having a hard time finding those or the a1301s, do you have a link that has international shipping maybe? 

 

And what dimensions are the magnets that you're using?

 

Sorry for all the questions XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SAG said:

I was affraid of that, where are you sourcing them from? i'm having a hard time finding those or the a1301s, do you have a link that has international shipping maybe? 

 

Instead A1302 use (Allegro) A1324 LUAT (or Honeywell SS495A1) that have more sensitivity making a bit more easy magnet placement.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

 

Instead A1302 use (Allegro) A1324 LUAT (or Honeywell SS495A1) that have more sensitivity making a bit more easy magnet placement.

 

actually yes! you had recommended these to me years ago, and i just found a vendor on alliexpress!!

 

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000206762288.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6c4b63c0PvHTwP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SAG said:

I was affraid of that, where are you sourcing them from? i'm having a hard time finding those or the a1301s, do you have a link that has international shipping maybe? 

 

And what dimensions are the magnets that you're using?

 

Sorry for all the questions XD

 

I have no problem with questions, ask away. 

 

I bought the A1302's from eBay here in Germany, dunno if the guy ships internationally but if for whatever reason you're (or someone is) still interested I'll find the seller for you. 

 

The magnets are 10mm diameter, 3mm thick neodymium magnets with a counter sunk hole for M3 screws. I basically bought them because they were the smallest screw-mount neodymium magnets I could find. 

 

20191011_082834.thumb.jpg.3de8d34e3e22a6a8ec7bd9b4aa9a6790.jpg

 

(FYI the boss in between the magnets has yet to be machined to mount the Hall sensor.) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance you've got drawings for this? Totally understand if that is not something you'd like to share, but i would love to take this project on with my mills, lathe and CNC router!

 

Also seems like a great excuse to go ahead on the CNC conversion of the PM-727 teensy mill too;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 10:50 PM, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

Any chance you've got drawings for this? Totally understand if that is not something you'd like to share, but i would love to take this project on with my mills, lathe and CNC router!

 

Also seems like a great excuse to go ahead on the CNC conversion of the PM-727 teensy mill too;)

 

I dunno how much a CNC would help with a lot of it but yeah I can share the drawings with you, they're a bit thrown together, I never intended them to be used by others so some bits might be missing and others confusing what with offsets for my mill and so on. Just PM me and we'll work how best to sort it. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought a 3018 Chinese CNC engraving machine that I will somehow make work with aluminum 😅

 

I have a history of making do with cheap tools, so I'm confident i'll be able to make something interesting before braking the thing for pushing it over its limits 😛 +

 

Thanks for inspiring me to move from 3d printers. (mine is broken at the moment and I do miss it though)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

how are things coming along @Soilworker?

 

Slowly. Been working on other projects and am seriously unmotivated to order all the electronics, etc. I need which is holding up design. 

 

I'm also working on design for a brake lever to be mounted on the extension I made for my G940. Here's some concept sketches (perhaps doodles is a better word) if you're interested:

 

1166532964_20191115_1458292.thumb.jpg.8c638ca05ef09c9876675cd889864536.jpg

 

(Top is newer.) This will be wired up into the microcontroller in the control quadrant. 

 

And I've been mucking around with an angled mount for my throttle, don't think I'll keep it however. 

Ah what the hell, here's a pic of that too:

 

249774688_20191113_1711562.thumb.jpg.59c9e816a82dfa33627877f2307fa674.jpg

 

(You can see where I'll mount the aforementioned brake lever too, the pick just under the grip.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 3:13 PM, DD_Crash said:

ATAG Highseas bought a motorbike clutch lever and fitted it to a joystick

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30050

 

I thought briefly about using a motorcycle lever however I figured it would be a tad complicated to fit it with the design I want to do, plus it's a lot bigger than I want, I'm going to go with a two-finger sized lever which I should be able to fashion myself. 

 

7 hours ago, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

 

gonna be honest with you, that is not in the same league, or even the same sport as what @Soilworker is doing.

 

😅 

Very flattered, thanks dude. 

 

I'll get back to you on the G940 extension, it'll take a bit to explain because I wanted to make it a non-destructive mod (except for cutting and soldering the wires - easily reversible however) so it's way more complicated than it needed to be (like most of my designs to be honest, one day I'll do a run down on my simpit, there'll be novel...) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Soilworker said:

 

I thought briefly about using a motorcycle lever however I figured it would be a tad complicated to fit it with the design I want to do, plus it's a lot bigger than I want, I'm going to go with a two-finger sized lever which I should be able to fashion myself. 

 

 

😅

Very flattered, thanks dude. 

 

I'll get back to you on the G940 extension, it'll take a bit to explain because I wanted to make it a non-destructive mod (except for cutting and soldering the wires - easily reversible however) so it's way more complicated than it needed to be (like most of my designs to be honest, one day I'll do a run down on my simpit, there'll be novel...) 

 

 

I am very much looking forward to it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 8:10 PM, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

I am very much looking forward to it!

 

Okay here we go:

 

So the idea was to mount the G940 as close as possible to the seat without having it actually touch it (hence the slight C-shape of the design) and also to make the whole unit removable as my simpit is of a semi-modular design, meaning I can set it up for flying or driving. Also as the seat's position can be adjusted I also wanted the joystick mounted directly to it. You can see here how it is mounted:

20191120_094156.thumb.jpg.547f1f1684155d967178beb37f27759e.jpg     20171221_183241.thumb.jpg.bdd895fc2872050b4e5ff78a0dcd6891.jpg     20191127_120049.thumb.jpg.a548009d896f167be0835b62e3b43b1a.jpg

 

Next, as I mentioned earlier I didn't want to modify the G940 itself except for cutting the wires to extend them so I had to design compatible parts to attach to both the base and the grip. This I would probably not do again as it was a hell of a hassle to make and had a couple of minor fitting problems with the base. (Ignore the block in the bottom-left of the second image and the brake lever concept in the third image.)

20191120_093922.thumb.jpg.1364a653308cdef05fdaecc583f7673c.jpg     20191120_093942.thumb.jpg.7508cc0bed74d630ac1617eb720b0492.jpg     20191120_093709.thumb.jpg.216fdf5c04969e56d11aa03cb8ad0ad9.jpg     IMG-20180116-WA0001.thumb.jpg.d0b1c00da824137345955e3a8796d448.jpg

 

The extension itself was pretty straightforward, I decided to make it quickly removable with thumbscrews (from the base) and screw connectors for the wiring. I also wanted to be able to have the ability to offset the angle of the grip for comfort, I decided upon a shaft and clamp design as it was easy and I didn't know what angle I wanted. Also I knew I wanted a brake lever at some point in the future so I made a "block" directly under where the grip would be which will be easy to mount to in the future.

20191120_094031.thumb.jpg.9df590406af1a8f6de27f57bec309bb2.jpg     20180221_151604.thumb.jpg.bdbbb82310fae2a0e18ad23d54ab54ef.jpg     20191127_115956.thumb.jpg.c8750b2a33becec8622337df569608d5.jpg

 

And finally I disabled the dead-man switch in the G940's grip (believe it or not the best solution I came up with for this was to put some aluminium foil in the pocket where the sensor is mounted and bulge it out slightly through the hole [having it flat didn't work] gently with a pen or something) and I didn't want the thing bouncing around when e.g. booting up my PC or between missions and menus, etc. so I designed a position-locking arm. This turned out to be a good idea as if you forget to attach the arm and the force feedback centring is released and reapplied the inertia of the (now longer and heavier) joystick returning to centre coupled with the G940's damping causing it to start bouncing back and forth indefinitely, which while somewhat funny to watch, can't I imagine be good for force feedback internals.

20191120_094052.thumb.jpg.9bf220390ad01871db7da5ebb8d4ff97.jpg     20191120_094031b.thumb.jpg.762d3271005d763183345a052a7a1326.jpg     20191127_120131.thumb.jpg.d7bd9a297023cd781f5a86a4f8a01cd7.jpg

 

Edited by Soilworker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 5:03 AM, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

Heyo @Soilworker checking in here! Sorry for delayed reply and thank you so much for sharing this awesome project!!

 

I've got a couple of projects I've got to finish up then i am going to lean into copying your fantastic setup here;)

 

Hey buddy, 

 

What projects are you working on, anything interesting? 

 

I'm flattered you're coping my project, any questions just ask. 

 

Here's a little update, working on the quadrant with my dad while visiting home. He's a freakin' genius my old man... 

 

20200225_231451.thumb.jpg.5302c7752f24c2285d2db126d16e8016.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I saw your G940 mods and remembered all the effort I put into upgrading mine. New bearings, remounting the drive motors, and extending the stick. Anything to reduce the play in the forces. One thing I recently found is an unofficial G940 firmware update. Unfortunately, I no longer have my G940 though I do miss it dearly. 

 

Hope it helps.

https://github.com/fred41/G940-firmware-fixes/tree/ffb_experimental 

Edited by driftaholic
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, driftaholic said:

I saw your G940 mods and remembered all the effort I put into upgrading mine. New bearings, remounting the drive motors, and extending the stick. Anything to reduce the play in the forces. One thing I recently found is an unofficial G940 firmware update. Unfortunately, I no longer have my G940 though I do miss it dearly. 

 

Hope it helps.

https://github.com/fred41/G940-firmware-fixes/tree/ffb_experimental 

 

Awesome, thanks dude! I didn't know about this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2020 at 9:39 PM, Soilworker said:

 

Hey buddy, 

 

What projects are you working on, anything interesting? 

 

I'm flattered you're coping my project, any questions just ask. 

 

Here's a little update, working on the quadrant with my dad while visiting home. He's a freakin' genius my old man... 

 

20200225_231451.thumb.jpg.5302c7752f24c2285d2db126d16e8016.jpg

 

Man i am stoked to see it coming together! it is going to look so awesome when complete - so much more gravitas than the store bought quadrants;)

 

I've been working a lot and just managing day to day life commitments so not too much has been happening in the garage, but I have been up to a few cool things!

 

*built a new bow:

kurecapture.thumb.JPG.01368f5e91297ac9f61fd8d5bd4bb6e6.JPG

 

*got a dog

puperCapture.thumb.JPG.97f9566f01db5ed00c4177c4005a4bdd.JPG

*converted our Zubal C2 and Bridgeport clones to DC motors (my pops is also a pretty smart guy)

 

*Also added a new spindle to my CNC router

 

I am a terrible documentarian though so not many pics of most of this stuff lol

 

Edited by [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

 

Man i am stoked to see it coming together! it is going to look so awesome when complete - so much more gravitas than the store bought quadrants;)

 

I've been working a lot and just managing day to day life commitments so not too much has been happening in the garage, but I have been up to a few cool things!

 

*built a new bow:

kurecapture.thumb.JPG.01368f5e91297ac9f61fd8d5bd4bb6e6.JPG

 

*got a dog

puperCapture.thumb.JPG.97f9566f01db5ed00c4177c4005a4bdd.JPG

*converted our Zubal C2 and Bridgeport clones to DC motors (my pops is also a pretty smart guy)

 

*Also added a new spindle to my CNC router

 

I am a terrible documentarian though so not many pics of most of this stuff lol

 

 

Ah that all sounds pretty sweet, cute dog! What's his/her name? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay little update, just a small one but with some info that could be potentially useful to others wanting to work on similar projects. 

 

This is all relating to the hall sensor and magnet placement. 

 

So I turned the diameter of the hall sensor mounts from 6mm down to 5mm so I could move the magnets as close as possible to the hall sensor itself (using stainless steel washers as spacers) because the sensitivity of those A1302s is a bit low (should consulted Sokol1 on that before buy but oh well, this works).

 

Also I discovered that there's a bit of a deadzone at each end of the full 180° travel (ie when the magnets and sensor are "parallel" [how they are aligned in the picture]) so I'm going to remake the sensor mounts (somehow) so they sit 45° (well 315° from the picture perspective) to how they are now so the deadzones will end up outside of the used 90° of travel. 

 

Finally I'll make another alteration to the mounts, the hall sensors are sitting too high and this seems to affect their operation so on the new iteration the sensors will be sitting exactly in the centre of magnet's axis. 

 

20200308_172248.thumb.jpg.ea5c5b2780a54658ca1dca98f2a6a40b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...