busdriver

So where does the Hurricane fit in the current scheme

7 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

I would absolutely buy a BoX/GB version of BoB.

Not saying that it'll never happen, but just be prepared for a long, long wait for that to happen BSR

Edited by Novice-Flyer

If we get the Hurricane, then for me there is not the slightest reason to fire up CloD anymore. Sorry to say. 

I welcome the Hurricane with open arms! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Likewise.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

No, it’s been done like three times, and nothing recently.  The last best BOB flight sim was “their finest hour” in 1989.

Maybe best for you. Wings over the Reich is amazing single player experience of battle of britain.

(and there was much more than 3 games about it)

1. Their Finest Hour: The Battle Of Britain

2. Rowan's Battle of Britain

3. Battle of Britain 2 Wings Of Victory

4. IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover

5. European Air War

6. 303 Squadron: Battle of Britain

7. Wings of Prey

8. Wings Over The Reich (29 September 2018, quite recently i would say)

And probably that's not everything.

Edited by InProgress
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Likewise

On 9/3/2019 at 11:23 AM, Melonfish said:

It occurs to me that all we really need now are some Blenheims and we can pretty much emulate the summer of 41 where the RAF went on the offensive in northern europe.

redfor we have the Spit V and hurricane II along with a light/medium bomber flying over the channel to attack german airfields and depo's as the luftwaffe did the summer before.

bluefor has the 109E, bf110E and JU87, 88, and HE 111 already, with the BOBP map this will be doable.

Not to mention a taste of the Winter War.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

No, it’s been done like three times, and nothing recently.  The last best BOB flight sim was “their finest hour” in 1989.

yeah no, Battle of Britain: Wings of Victory 2 is the last good BOB game. Made by A2A.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

yeah no, Battle of Britain: Wings of Victory 2 is the last good BOB game. Made by A2A.

But not really a sim, right? From the looks of it I get the impression its an arcade-ish kind of game. 

Rowans.... too bad it didn't age  well, the whole idea of this game was excellent.

9 minutes ago, danielprates said:

But not really a sim, right? From the looks of it I get the impression its an arcade-ish kind of game. 

Rowans.... too bad it didn't age  well, the whole idea of this game was excellent.

It's very much a Sim. Has more complicated startups than il2 its a2a. The only problem is it doesn't run on windows 10, I've been desperately trying to sideload a windows 7 install without much luck just to play it. With mods the game looks as good as anything else, like 1946 modded. Obviously you don't get the same poly counts or high res textures but the detail is all there. 

Really wish they'd fix the windows 10 support and release it on gog or steam. I think it'd sell pretty well. 

Edited by JonRedcorn
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, danielprates said:

It was a simulation, at least as best one could be in 2005. I have fond memories of WoV, especially with regards towards the AI work that was put in to it by Buddye.

• Upvote 2

Wow, that is news to me. I'll check it out!

Is it....well... good?

EDIT: forget it, I remember now. Its the reboot of rowan's. I was confusing with another "wings of something". Well... at the time it came out, there were a lot of complaints about excessive bugginess and CTDs, so I didn't try it. It seems it has the same campaign level of rowan's, which seems really, really great. The kind of thing that modern games don't bother doing anymore.

Edited by danielprates
  • Upvote 1

So video of Han speaking shows him saying hurri with 5 modifications, so i expect then IIb as main model (12x.303) with options for 8x.303(hurri IIa), 4x20mm (for hurri IIc), 2x40mm (hurri iid) and vvs mod with 2x20mm shvak+2x12.7mm ubk, that should be probably 5 modifications he talked about, all that were in east front, all have same airframe and engine, probably russian bombs and russian RS/RBS rckets to expect also, heck they can also add british bombs and rockets for free now when they are making them for bobp and make it full package :)

"the Soviet military had accepted 2,834 examples of the British-built fighter. As mentioned above, initial batches were comprised of Mk. IIB models, which, along with their Canadian-built analogs (X, XI, and XII) would account for more than half the Hurricanes flown by Soviet forces. Approximately 200 Mk. IIAs, armed with eight Browning machine guns, were also sent by the British, and just over 1,000 Mk. IICs, with their four 20 mm Hispano cannon, were flown by Soviet forces. A small number of Mk. IIDs (two 40 mm cannon) were also sent to the USSR."

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

ICs, with their four 20 mm Hispano cannon

Who needs a Tempest anyway...

9 hours ago, Novice-Flyer said:

Not saying that it'll never happen, but just be prepared for a long, long wait for that to happen BSR

Just do battle of France.

Don`t care bout what CoD will be in 5 years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, danielprates said:

Wow, that is news to me. I'll check it out!

Is it....well... good?

EDIT: forget it, I remember now. Its the reboot of rowan's. I was confusing with another "wings of something". Well... at the time it came out, there were a lot of complaints about excessive bugginess and CTDs, so I didn't try it. It seems it has the same campaign level of rowan's, which seems really, really great. The kind of thing that modern games don't bother doing anymore.

Easily my favourite single player sim. It truly made you feel that you were part of an ongoing major battle.. because you were! Best merging of dynamic campaign and flight sim I've ever played (this side of Falcon 4.0, at least).

4 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Easily my favourite single player sim. It truly made you feel that you were part of an ongoing major battle.. because you were! Best merging of dynamic campaign and flight sim I've ever played (this side of Falcon 4.0, at least).

I'm probably going to buy an entire new hard drive to just install windows 7 on. Pretty much just to play that game. It's got to scale bomber and fighter formations and it's something I don't think is worth passing up. It's a shame a2a which have even recently released updates for it can't get it fully working on windows 10, which is weird since I can get a ton of old programs to work on 10. Sucks. Apparently it ctds when you go from the 3d mode to the 2d mode, so the campaign isn't playable. 

1 hour ago, JonRedcorn said:

I'm probably going to buy an entire new hard drive to just install windows 7 on.

You can just install Virtual Box and there install windows. 

2 hours ago, Mac_Messer said:

Just do battle of France.

Don`t care bout what CoD will be in 5 years.

It's kind of funny. "lets do battle of france/italy/africa" Let's jump over entire world, much better idea than develop what is already started. Who needs more assets, planes etc. for 1944+ westfront (or russia 1944+) that we just got if we can start new front with completly diffrent assets to make.

Edited by InProgress
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, InProgress said:

It's kind of funny. "lets do battle of france/italy/africa" Let's jump over entire world, much better idea than develop what is already started. Who needs more assets, planes etc. for 1944+ westfront (or russia 1944+) that we just got if we can start new front with completly diffrent assets to make.

Fortunately this isn’t a zero sum equation.

3 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

So video of Han speaking shows him saying hurri with 5 modifications, so i expect then IIb as main model (12x.303) with options for 8x.303(hurri IIa), 4x20mm (for hurri IIc), 2x40mm (hurri iid) and vvs mod with 2x20mm shvak+2x12.7mm ubk, that should be probably 5 modifications he talked about, all that were in east front, all have same airframe and engine, probably russian bombs and russian RS/RBS rckets to expect also, heck they can also add british bombs and rockets for free now when they are making them for bobp and make it full package :)

One of the modifications could be engine settings rather than weapons.

For Battle of Moscow timeframe the Hurri Mk II had +12 boost in the Merlin XX as max, then for Battle of Stalingrad it could have +14 boost in the first gear and +16 boost in the second gear.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, InProgress said:

It is said that verity is the spice of life. And almost certainly far more profitable then another eastern front module.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Fortunately this isn’t a zero sum equation.

Is that a PTO pun there?

36 minutes ago, Cpt_Cool said:

It is said that verity is the spice of life. And almost certainly far more profitable then another eastern front module.

It's also said, jack of all trades master of none. Don't be so sure, russian part of this community is far more interested in ostfront than west. But you simply don't hear their voices on english forum.

Edited by InProgress
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, mort said:

Is that a PTO pun there?

I’m utterly remorseful that I myself didn’t catch it - I’ll never get over it. Lol

16 minutes ago, InProgress said:

It's also said, jack of all trades master of none. Don't be so sure, russian part of this community is far more interested in ostfront than west. But you simply don't hear their voices on english forum.

So what exactly is wrong with those of us wanting what we want too??? We are a part of the customer base. I'm as biased as anyone in that I want what I what. I'd love to continue to buy theaters and plane sets that really aren't my favorite part of WWII. But having bought the first three in this series, I'm a helluva lot more eager to buy something set in the West. Go figure.

Edited by Rjel
spelling
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, InProgress said:

Don't be so sure

I have never been so sure in my life. And I wont change.

6 hours ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

I too remember very fondly of that 90s "tornado" sim. For todays standards it was an eyesore, but it tried to model many systems that went beyond your usual 90s simulator. But the best was the campaign mode. You could plan yourself all missions for a day's round of flight and fly one yourself. You could for instance fly a whole week of anti-sam missons, and for the remainder of your campaign flak you would really feel the difference. Good days.

53 minutes ago, Rjel said:

I'm a helluva lot more eager to buy something set in the West. Go figure.

And it's called Boddenplatte. I guess you did not understand what I said and only saw ostfront when I was also talking about the west. I said it would be better to first expand what we have, which ostfront and west 1944+. Soon most likely Pacific. 3 theatres, completely different one that require completely different assets. Different trees, buildings, vehicles, terrain etc. Adding another ones like Africa, Italy or France 1940 (can't imagine france as standalone expansion with that amazing 46 days long career) is probably bad idea and a lot of work. There is a reason why we got 3 russian ones. New expansion if not Pacific will be most likely late war west or east.

It's just my opinion, it does not matter, just like yours. Devs will do what they find best for them anyway.

Edited by InProgress
  • Upvote 1

So back to the topic of this thread...

From @Alexmarine28 A number of Hurricanes were used for air defense around Moscow, where the 67th, 429th, 438th, 488th, and 736th IAPs were equipped with the British fighter. The VVS Hurricanes in this sector were engaged both the defense of the Soviet capital and in offensive actions on the Western and Kaliningrad Fronts. In January 1942, several Hurricane-equipped regiments flew in support of the Red Army’s counter offensives outside Moscow, and a number of the Soviet capital’s Hurricanes were transferred to the South-Western Front.

And @77.CountZero the Soviet military had accepted 2,834 examples of the British-built fighter. As mentioned above, initial batches were comprised of Mk. IIB models, which, along with their Canadian-built analogs (X, XI, and XII) would account for more than half the Hurricanes flown by Soviet forces. Approximately 200 Mk. IIAs, armed with eight Browning machine guns, were also sent by the British, and just over 1,000 Mk. IICs, with their four 20 mm Hispano cannon, were flown by Soviet forces. A small number of Mk. IIDs (two 40 mm cannon) were also sent to the USSR

• Upvote 2

The IID would make a nice counterpart to the stuka (when appropriately outfitted).  

I'd love to see em all in game, and I would cheerfully purchase.

On 9/5/2019 at 5:52 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

The short story goes like this. Maddox Games developed the original IL-2 through to IL-2: Cliffs of Dover. CloD was unfinished at release and a buggy mess that was never fully corrected ...at first. Later a team of enthusiasts formed a group called Team Fusion and they implemented a series of fixes and unofficial patches to the game to make it work better. Later, 1C Game Studios (the new developers of IL-2) signed an agreement with Team Fusion making them an official developer group and giving them more control over the project. Cliffs of Dover is now selling as the Blitz Edition on Steam and brings in some extra revenue.

With it covering Battle of Britain and working towards North Africa, it's likely that the IL-2: Great Battles Series will steer clear of those areas for now so as not to compete with themselves (really). There's various arguments on the validity of that strategy or even the veracity of how closely 1CGS will work to avoid overlap but that's the basics.

Interesting...

As even before Clod released, another group of enthusiasts (Team Daedalus), continued to develop IL2 1946 with the ok from Maddox games, but were categorically blocked from producing any content that came even close to overlapping with the yet to be released Clod.

That, if I recall right was more than 10 years ago. Which makes the steam only, failed and reheated Clod, a 10 year plus blockage on any development of the IL2 series of cross chanel WW2 combat and now Malta too and therefore some of the biggest aerial battles of all time.

The sooner the rotten cork is pulled from that bottle the better.

2 hours ago, Pict said:

The sooner the rotten cork is pulled from that bottle the better.

No rush.

We have other things to do first.

• Upvote 1

Well, politics are not allowed here, maybe policies are? Hurray for the Hurries ..... I definitely like them, like the 100 oct in CloD, and would enjoy a dog fight with a Spit MkV to see who's 'better' ..... shooting at 109s gets kind of boring LoL.

Edited by jollyjack

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

No rush.

We have other things to do first.

Other, more blue, things.  😄

13 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

"the Soviet military had accepted 2,834 examples of the British-built fighter. As mentioned above, initial batches were comprised of Mk. IIB models, which, along with their Canadian-built analogs (X, XI, and XII) would account for more than half the Hurricanes flown by Soviet forces. Approximately 200 Mk. IIAs, armed with eight Browning machine guns, were also sent by the British, and just over 1,000 Mk. IICs, with their four 20 mm Hispano cannon, were flown by Soviet forces. A small number of Mk. IIDs (two 40 mm cannon) were also sent to the USSR."

Do you have a source link for that? I'd be interested in it.

So 5 modifications:

- Rockets

- Bombs

- IIA (8x303)

- IIB (12x303)

- IIC (4x20mm)

- ??IID (2x40mm)??

- 4xUB

- 2xShVAK & 2xUB

- 2xShVAK & 2xUB & 4x303

- Lightened (6x303 OR 2xUB or 2xShVAK)

- Rear gunner

- Mirrors?

Clearly, we shouldn't get too excited...

That said, I am hoping for a more lightly armed field mod as one of the options (4xUB or 2xUB) to help with dogfighting! The most heavily armed variant (2xShVAK, 2xUB, 4x303, 6xRS-82) would also be valuable as a Sturmovik!

25 minutes ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

Other, more blue, things.  😄

Yep

I'm rather hoping for something green...

v27qgS.jpg

Be sure.

• Upvote 2

I can't stand it.

I want I want I want

• Like 1