Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 229 - Discussion

1 hour ago, ACG_Kai_Lae said:

No changes have ever been done to the P-40's engine. After about a year to a year and a half of asking to check the FM, they finally did and found the initial one had a bug that caused the plane to have too much drag which turned it into something nearly unflyable in combat. This has been corrected. A whole series of other, smaller issues have never been resolved. 

I seem to remember them increasing the allowed manifold pressure limit? 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, FlyingNutcase said:

As far as I'm aware there are currently no pilot external view movements tied to actual head movement but here we see the P-51 pilot lean forward a couple of times (around the 7:17 mark) and the P-47 pilot lean to the right (7:07 mark).

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it. To me this would be as exciting as anything else coming as it brings the planes to life .

Any comments on this? Jason??? 

618427078_p51leanfwd.JPG.6c493f53eefdc35c394f18e14c39acd8.JPG

image.png.b1780a12d92d0edaa60ab3283e6e1a4a.png

Waaa? Eeehhhh? I can't hear you. I'm taking a nap.

Jason

Tempest_Blackout.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 27
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the update Jason.

It's going to be fantastic!:salute:

14 minutes ago, 325TH_SPEKTRE76 said:

Every D9 pilot needs new underwear now 😁

Maybe not for reasons you think... I mean I got a semi from watching that video and I don' even like Brit planes!!!  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Gawd, this DD is exciting! Many thanks to the Devs and the guys who helped them getting the info they need.

2 hours ago, Bullets said:

Nope, still stuck with MP limits that were used in the US for training units, to keep maintenance low.

9 hours ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Sadly, she is not annealed in Freedom like the P-38 and P-51 are.

Lol what?

5 hours ago, Bullets said:

The only change to the engine was that they removed the manifold pressure regulator because P-40's during this time period didn't have one. 

General thumb rule in these discussions seems to be: If you're British, British planes are undermodeled. If you're German, German planes are undermodeled. If you're American, American planes are undermodeled. If you're Russian, Russian planes are undermodeled. 😉

It's a great to be a Finn, I can complain about them all 😀

Nice diary, Tempest is a great plane!

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Tempest cockpit and textures look excellent. Idk why but I feel like some cockpits and textures of certain aircraft are far superior in quality than some others. D9, Tempest, and Spitfire for example all have excellent cockpit models/textures that are imo better than most of the other aircraft in-game.

Great work to the devs, can't wait to try her out.

The worst is the P 40 IMHO

5 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Waaa? Eeehhhh? I can't hear you. I'm taking a nap.

😄 😄 😄 

Eagle-eyed persons, take note of the image's filename. 🙂

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Thank's Jason to have shared with us a some of what happens in the background and all the work and passion to bring to life these 70+ years old fighters. As a pilot the chances we can fly a real one (Tempest) is now near to nil, so you are the one that allows us to live that dream.

Flying an airplane (mainly old ladies) has always been a matter of passion, hard-work, time and money. After all we share the same fundamentals in the real and simulated world.

It is a team work so thank you to all of those that together with Jason makes this possible. 

P.S.

The cherry on the cake was at the end of the trailer, the group flight with P51, P38. Please Jason do not make our wait too long 🙂 

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

😄 😄 😄 

Eagle-eyed persons, take note of the image's filename. 🙂

Good spotting. Heavy handed pilots beware!

Oi Vay, Vot a Beauty, und donkey shane Herr Jason for persevering mit dis lubberly flying thingy. Oh mine goodness my joy oberbubbles.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

That is exactly I want to ask. Which city is represented in the video.

Düsseldorf indeed.

Dusseldorf IL2.jpg

The fields look extremely large compared to the real ones in the same area during the war. 

tumblr_mikkvtbTbq1s6yxn8o1_1280.jpg.fff92795ab3122cf51274aeec239c89a.jpg

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ACG_Kai_Lae said:

The only change to the engine was that they removed the manifold pressure regulator because P-40's during this time period didn't have one. 

Haha exactly. Spits during that time period we’re using 150 octane fuel. Tempests during this timeline were using +11 boost. 

Also sure I have an interest in British aircraft and want them portrayed accurately but I am not biased to which side I want the best aircraft to have. I fly each side as much as the other. When the D9 & 262 came out that was all I flew for weeks and the E7 is probably a close contender for being my favourite aircraft in the sim. 

• Like 1

:good:

Outstanding, congrats on this great plane!!

Posted (edited)

Edited= cleaning up an over reaction.

Edited by Bullets
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

The fields look extremely large compared to the real ones in the same area during the war. 

tumblr_mikkvtbTbq1s6yxn8o1_1280.jpg.fff92795ab3122cf51274aeec239c89a.jpg

In the photo I think you are not looking at fields as such but allotments. Like wot Jeremy digs. See here for details:

http://www.cityfarmer.org/germanAllot.html

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

General thumb rule in these discussions seems to be: If you're British, British planes are undermodeled. If you're German, German planes are undermodeled. If you're American, American planes are undermodeled. If you're Russian, Russian planes are undermodeled. 😉

It's a great to be a Finn, I can complain about them all 😀

Nice diary, Tempest is a great plane!

Finnish discussions rather be like "nonii gib B109G2 unrated(with emergency power)!" VS "nonii gib Taivaan helmi". 

fins.png.a1313a6e426f392f9868186bca1f0c73.png

Edit: I would like both of them. :DDD

Edited by MeoW.Scharfi
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

In the photo I think you are not looking at fields as such but allotments.

Yes.  Different coloured plots of land.  Dozens of which can be fitted within the large fields depicted and which can still be discerned in the recon photo from a height of 20,000ft or more. 

It seems to be a characteristic of western Europe at that time.  By comparison the very large fields in the screenshot and the grey city texture reminded me a lot of the map in Cliffs of Dover.

12 minutes ago, MeoW.Scharfi said:

Finnish discussions rather be like "nonii gib B109G2 unrated(with emergency power)!" VS "nonii gib Taivaan helmi". 

fins.png.a1313a6e426f392f9868186bca1f0c73.png

Edit: I would like both of them. :DDD

Your Finnish is nearly perfect! Nonii, hyvä homma 😀

• Thanks 1

I'm French and the tempest was a famous plane in France with Pierre Clostermann. I'm verry happy to see the tempest in IL2.

Good job Guys !!!

12 hours ago, 325TH_SPEKTRE76 said:

Every D9 pilot needs new underwear now 😁

As underwear has been rationed, D-9 pilots are flying full commado anyway.

• Haha 1

I must say, compared to the rest of the sequences in the video, the placement of Düsseldorf looks terrible. Doesn´t fit the high quality of the video et all. looks more like default Microsoft Flight simulator X. I hope this is still early beta.

540802646_DusseldorfIL2.jpg.83de650091c6b962a34c9ef14bc54145.jpg

• Upvote 1

Amazin story! Thanks for sharing Jason. Can't wait for Tempest.

Posted (edited)

Hello all!

Like everyone else here I am more than impressed about the beautiful work done by Jason and team...What a beast!

However being french I have to nitpick a bit 😁; so:

• The biggest feature of the Tempest was its engine group: 24 cylinders and a 4-bladed propeller...this means that its sound was totally different from the other A/C of its time and extremely distinctive; in other words the sound model cannot be easily derivated from a Spitfire from instance. The witnesses of the time were comparing the engine noise to a tiger growl...and that what exactly that. Fortunately a Swedish website which is dedicated to the Tempest and is certainly well known to many of you has what is probably the only recording of the Tempest in its paces; the website is www.hawkertempest.se and the sound recording can be downloaded here: tempest.nerdnet.nl/tempest.wav . I will let you judge...
  • The Tempest starting process was made of only the Koffman cartridge. It never got an electrical starter most probably the starter would have been a monster by itself. The link here gives amazing info about the Sabre: http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/contributions/stories/130-the-greatest-engines-of-all-time-by-ljk-setright. This engine was incredible and has represented a technical achievement nobody else has been able to emulate ever since...I do not know how easily the Koffman-based starting procedure can be done; Jason can probably shed light on this.
  • In the video the Tempest is seen landing in Volkel I believe...notwithstanding the overall strangeness of Volkel's representation, it is quite amusing to see nice immaculate environment instead of the ravaged airfield and landscape of Christmas 1944...But I understand is it a WIP and a demo video!

What a beautiful airplane...

JVM

Edited by jvm
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bullets said:

Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me if it is an option at this rate. :dash: Giving the Tempest the wrong engine/boost for the timeframe will be the final nail in the coffin for me. (The Spitfire being the first) I won’t be purchasing any more releases from 1C.

Jason spoke about how he loves the Tempest so much yet seems content on his team fudging it up for BoBP. 

Like ever?  Wow, that is some severe resolve.  I could never give up my favorite hobby over such a minor point but more power to you.  I am sure another WWII flight sim with a better Tempest isn’t too far away, I am too old to wait though.

Good luck mate, it always sucks to see people leave.

• Upvote 5

Posted (edited)

Amazing DD! From the allied planes Im looking forward for this plane the most.

...but damned those imperial units, its a nightmare!

Edited by Voidhunger

31 minutes ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

Like ever?  Wow, that is some severe resolve.  I could never give up my favorite hobby over such a minor point but more power to you.  I am sure another WWII flight sim with a better Tempest isn’t too far away, I am too old to wait though.

Good luck mate, it always sucks to see people leave.

Oh I wouldn’t be giving up no way :) I still love and fly everything the team has made but if they have decided to make the tempest with incorrect power levels I won’t be funding any future projects.

(However I MAY purchase a hurricane if that ever does get made as a collectors aircraft only because I’ve spent so much time now lobbying for it haha) 

Posted (edited)

Wonderful write-up @Jason_Williams, one can just feel your passion coming through.  As someone who's never been that up-to-speed on Tempest much, I can safely say I'm now very excited to get my hands on it.

It's funny you mention going to FoF to see the Tempest projects they have, it reminds me of this video I saw a while back where Richard Grace goes to see them.  I imagine it's a good way for us to see what you went through (and also a little more history on the airframes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x96Dl9n6DNE

Also appreciate the love for Hendon, it's always been about 15 mins from me, and just love that place!

Edited by Dijital_Majik

13 minutes ago, Bullets said:

but if they have decided to make the tempest with incorrect power levels I won’t be funding any future projects.

Remind me whats incorrect about 9lbs boost?

GREAT update.  Demonstrates the dedication and professionalism of the team in giving us the best sim available today.  I continue to be surprised by the fidelity of the sim, despite the nit-picking of some players; nevertheless I will continue to sing the praises this sim and look forward to what the team has in store for us in the future.

BTW, if any of you guys ever get the chance to visit Kermit Weeks “Fantasy of Flight” by all means GO!  Kermit has reduced the size of the museum due to lack of interest and the need to improve visitor experiences (apparently he’s working with folks at Universal Studios) .  That said it’s still a great experience for guys like us.

Great Update!

I'm really new to IL2. I just started playing last week, after being a ww2 aviation enthusiast since a kid but being able to afford a proper rig until recently, and I must say: the job you make is amazing, my sincere congratulations! 

3 minutes ago, 56RAF_Stickz said:

Remind me whats incorrect about 9lbs boost?

Check the Tempest thread for more information but from what I have read and seen, tempests at the time of BoBP and especially later on where operating with 11lb boost or more.  It’s a big difference because with 9lb the tempest is slower than the D9 but with 11lb it’s faster.

It’s a similar situation we had in BOK, the Spit Vb was severely outdated compared to the rest of the plane set and if our tempest has 9lb it’s the same situation again although not as severe.