Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 229 - Discussion

Today I’d like to tell you a story about how our Tempest Mk.V came to be. Every once in a while, I get to stop being a producer and just be a fanboy and add something to the simulation to fulfill a dream.  When I saw how well our Spitfire Mk.Vb turned out, I knew I wanted a Tempest added whenever possible. There is something very cool about these British birds. I knew a Tempest built by our team would be awesome. 

I’ve always thought the Tempest was really an awesome warplane. It just looked tough and mean with that huge air scoop under the nose of that powerful Sabre engine. It appealed to me as the perfected sibling of the legendary, but initially troubled Typhoon. The Tempest represented the pinnacle of piston powered late-war aircraft. The type of Allied fighter that could beat the best the Luftwaffe had and put the final nail in the coffin. As an American kid, the British Tempest looked uniquely cool and somehow different, but I could only see pictures in books and read about them. I never got to see an actual Tempest in the air. Unlike Spitfires and Mustangs, so few examples survived their service and performed to airshows in California where I grew up. So, when the opportunity came much, much later in life, I decided I wanted to fly one built to our specs in our engine with our team. Now it’s finally time.

From the first moment I decided we should make the Tempest, I knew building it would be a challenge. I recalled from the days of IL-2:1946 that there was a real lack of quality references to make the plane to a high degree of detail, both in its physical shape and the engine’s performance. That Tempest model is a great accomplishment as well and I remember the enthusiasm that accompanied it way back then. I knew it would be the same difficult road today for our Tempest without a real effort and help from other people. And luckily, that is exactly what happened. Thanks to total strangers and friends in the community, this mission has been a successful one. In the past, other such endeavors have failed, so I am very excited that this one did not.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11
  • Upvote 7

Posted (edited)

I'm as eager for the Tempest as I am the P-51.

Edited by Rjel
  • Like 1

FIRST!...dang it, no...SECOND!

Ok I’ll go read it now 😄

Great write-up about the 2nd most anticipated aircraft of BoBP for me - no. 1 being the P-38. The dedication to attention to detail is amazing. 

And we get video material as well ❤️ awesome!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Great devblog, though this is concerning:

"With the info we gathered, the Mk.V sub-variant we decided to build is the Series II with the Sabre IIa engine."

The Sabre IIA is the engine from the Series I Tempests. Those IIAs fitted to the first few Series II airframes were upgraded into the as-yet-unnamed Sabre IIB in September 1944*. It was only with the serialisation of these upgrades that the name "IIB" was brought in - the engines themselves were already running at +11lbs of boost by that point. By the time the squadrons moved to the Continent for our career, the IIA was only flying in Typhoons.

*The upgrade consisted of a new boost control cam & valve plus a strengthened crankshaft and was easy to fit in the field.

873050224_1-Tempestspring012.thumb.jpg.5ad470afe11ff447757937415189bcb6.jpg

Edited by Talon_
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Great devblog, though this is concerning:

"With the info we gathered, the Mk.V sub-variant we decided to build is the Series II with the Sabre IIa engine."

The Sabre IIA is the engine from the Series I Tempests. Those IIAs fitted to the first few Series II airframes were upgraded into the as-yet-unnamed Sabre IIB in September 1944*. It was only with the serialisation of these upgrades that the name "IIB" was brought in - the engines themselves were already running at +11lbs of boost by that point. By the time the squadrons moved to the Continent for our career, the IIA was only flying in Typhoons.

*The upgrade consisted of a new boost control cam & valve plus a strengthened crankshaft and was easy to fit in the field.

There is NOTHING concerning about it. 

Jason

• Like 5
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

Great team effort guys!  Stunning result - Congratulations to all involved...

WOW... I just want to fly that Tempest now, my second favourite plane of WW2, after the Mosquito.

Great work by the  BoBP team :salute:

Thank you, and especially to know that the 3.200 will be available soon.

1 minute ago, Jason_Williams said:

There is NOTHING concerning about it. 

Jason

Can you tell us the boost level please? The Sabre IIA was only rated to +9lbs without modifications which dates it to May-August 1944. Unless we're getting a later engine from the first batch of upgrades in September?

• Upvote 7

Shortly Closterman's "Big Show" finale can be relived in our favorite flightsim! Any plans for a campaign yet?

• Like 1

The music in that trailer was a bit loud, would've loved to hear the Sabre's soundset. But alas this really is a work of art!

• Upvote 2

Really nice devlog, really cool to see the journey from concept to finish. Can’t wait to see and hear it in game. REALLY excited to fly a few circuits with the Tempest.

• Upvote 3

What a nice writeup! Thanks Jason and the rest of the team.

You need enthusiasts rather than just Game developers to accomplish a feat like this. Lots of data to dig in and even to find. It looks promising and I can't wait to fly her!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Job made with passion provides always great results..!!

Compliments Devs

• Like 1

Now I want a typhoon even more... 😎

Nice story, great pictures and video, Tempest cockpit looks awsome and as exected.

And thouse 4x20 hispanos.... o my... cant wait to try and see that kaboom online, true one punch allied airplane for late war maps. 

Plane worth bobp price.

Also map looks good.

Thanks for the interesting Tempest background story and also thank you to all the 3rd parties and community members who helped Jason to get the project going! Looking forward to it now.

It's also great to know there's a Typhoon restauration project going on - I honestly haven't heard of it so far. I wish you guys the best of luck, it sure is an extreme challenge.

• Like 1

Can't wait for all those allied planes to drop, I'm so excited for all three.

Thanks for detailed write up of Tempest development - it shows how much effort goes into getting these old warbirds into the game to your high standards. 

• Like 1

I know it may sound hollow, but I'm speechless.

You put a lot of love and time into this work and you can see that. It is also nice to see how much effort it takes to let these birds fly virtually at the end.
This video destroyed me, and I would rather sit yesterday than today in the Tempest and in the other birds!

I am happy to have discovered Il-2 for myself and think that you guys deserve every penny!

• Like 3

This looks absolutely fantastic, the level of work you guys put in is humbling but it looks as though it's paying off in spades. The end of that video was great! 

• Like 1

With the amount of research that has gone into presenting a high fidelity simulation of this nearly extinct warbird, I feel like you and your team are doing as much as any museum to keep its memory alive for future generations. 

I feel like the purchase of BoBP offers such an embarrassment of riches that the hardest thing will be deciding where to start. 

Great job team!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Did the tempest use the Coffman starter style?? I can’t remember but I would love to hear that bang when I start it up the first time :)

this thing is a British beast

Oh and is the sight projected on the windscreen?

3 minutes ago, spartan85 said:

Oh and is the sight projected on the windscreen?

That's correct

• Thanks 1

And omg the last scene!!!???!!??? All our babies flying together!

• Upvote 4

Next Friday I want to see a write up about the story of Mustang then p-38 and then finally the release of the update! 

Initial takeoff trials are going to be really interesting with this beast ,I imagine.

BTW Might I suggest that Pierre Clostermann's Tempest be considered for one of the initial "skins?"

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thank the various gods for in-game IAS gauge being in MPH and not knots like Kermit's airframe. Hard enough for me to translate MPH into KPH already, didn't need another unit. 😜

She's looking positively gorgeous and I enjoyed reading the story about your childhood's favorite plane. For me, it's the P-38 and the BF-110. I'm halfway there already 🍻

For me, this has been the best DD to date... I am more excited than a big bag of excited things!

• Upvote 2

Wonderful wonderful dev update!

Only problem is that it is making me really really want the Typhoon :D

GAHHH OMG I THOUGHT WE WERE GETTING HER TODAY AT FIRST!!! NOOOO

can't wait for the tempest. mainly because those 4 Hispanos will compensate my terrible aim 😂

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

See now this is why I really enjoy flight sims these days... not only do the developers go to the ends of the earth to get every detail but they share the story with us.   Being passionate and quality obsessed... I only wish they would have a aircraft walk-around option...

in aircraft selection screen.. let you actually walk around and check out the details on the ship it’s self...

its silly but I love jumping out of my plane on the ground in dcs so I can look closer..

• Like 3