Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 229 - Discussion

12 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Wonderful wonderful dev update!

Only problem is that it is making me really really want the Typhoon 😄

too true; I thought the 'and friends' really highlighted the need for it..

Reading again Clostermann's Big Show to refresh how to fly the Tempest. Quite suicide missions on ground attack role and hunting jets on final days.  That's why my bet for new collectors planes is a must have Arado 234. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

Great devblog, though this is concerning:

"With the info we gathered, the Mk.V sub-variant we decided to build is the Series II with the Sabre IIa engine."

The Sabre IIA is the engine from the Series I Tempests. Those IIAs fitted to the first few Series II airframes were upgraded into the as-yet-unnamed Sabre IIB in September 1944*. It was only with the serialisation of these upgrades that the name "IIB" was brought in - the engines themselves were already running at +11lbs of boost by that point. By the time the squadrons moved to the Continent for our career, the IIA was only flying in Typhoons.

*The upgrade consisted of a new boost control cam & valve plus a strengthened crankshaft and was easy to fit in the field.

Does this mean we are potentially getting yet another underpowered british aircraft? :blink:

• Confused 3

24 minutes ago, pfrances said:

Thank the various gods for in-game IAS gauge being in MPH and not knots like Kermit's airframe. Hard enough for me to translate MPH into KPH already, didn't need another unit. 😜

The RAF used mph until the end of the war, though the Fleet Air Arm used knots - only after the war did the two both match up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bullets said:

Does this mean we are potentially getting yet another underpowered british aircraft? :blink:

Not really, Jason said we're not to be concerned about it. Could be that the +11 boost is going to be a mod (since it literally was a modification of the IIA, that could be done in the field, that allowed +11 boost).

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Not really, Jason said we're not to be concerned about it. Could be that the +11 boost is going to be a mod (since it literally was a modification of the IIA, that could be done in the field, that allowed +11 boost).

Looking closely at 05:00 on the trailer you can just make out that the boost level is +11lb (i think)... phew  

Edit: On a lighter note it looks freaking amazing and I can't wait! 

p.s. I hope the pilot logged all three of those landings in his logbook ;) 

Edited by Bullets
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Initial takeoff trials are going to be really interesting with this beast ,I imagine.

BTW Might I suggest that Pierre Clostermann's Tempest be considered for one of the initial "skins?"

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

I have no doubt we'll get a skin for the 'Grand Charles' seeing as we already have Clostermann's spit. If not then I look forward to the amazing job the skin-making community will do with it.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Bullets said:

Looking closely at 05:00 on the trailer you can just make out that the boost level is +11lb (i think)... phew  

Edit: On a lighter note it looks freaking amazing and I can't wait! 

p.s. I hope the pilot logged all three of those landings in his logbook ;) 

Thats +9lbs in video, maybe it can do 11 down low, well have to wait and c

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Lord_Strange said:

I have no doubt we'll get a skin for the 'Grand Charles' seeing as we already have Clostermann's spit. If not then I look forward to the amazing job the skin-making community will do with it.

One thing's for sure - the Tempest will have the least variety in skins of any Bodenplatte aircraft unless they include the target tug 😄

• Like 2

Amazing background story Jason and I'm pleased to get a small mention and see the London group photo again! The efforts of the team have been nothing short of incredible and the end result is something you will all be proud of. I salute you all and look forward, with an open wallet for everything else you produce!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Looks amazing, and the amount of work that went into bringing her back to life is truly humbling! Makes me ever more determined to get the money together soon to get Bodenplatt!

And btw, that landing @6:09 was rubbish! You bounced.. twice! Go round again and do some touch-and-go's! :P

29 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

There's nothing to say except:

pp,840x830-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Flashy approves of this 100% :biggrin: 

Looks fantastic, great job! What also caught my eye was the terrain down low...

• Upvote 2

Jason,

Your passion and that of your team shines through all the time.  Thank you so much!

Extremely happy that the Tempest V is on the way and that you are pleased with it.  Hope the 11lbs boost engine modification will be available to reflect the blood sweat and tears of the war effort and the performance of the BoBP era Tempest V.

Thank you for a great combat flight simulation.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Upvote 1

There are reasons why I appreciate  this game so much: this DD sums them all up.

Well done to the team for the love, the research and the attention to detail that goes in to re-creating these iconic aircraft for us to fly.

• Like 1

Great write up into the effort required to hunt down info on a bird to make it a reality in the Il2 BoX series.  This is why we haven't seen anything Pacific related yet as there would be huge amounts of information to hunt down especially on the Japanese side of the conflict.

Looking very much forward to flying the Tempest when she's available, along with the other birds that have not been released yet.

That being said - it is hard to part with my much beloved La 5. 😁

It will be fun to take the La 5FN up against these late war Western Front planes.  I know there had been actual match ups due to mis-identification in the later parts of the war.  Love many planes from all over though, flying is the thing in an over powered beast.

Looks fabulous! 
That P-38 though, wow...

• Like 1

Great DD! One of the most interesting, indeed. Nice to hear the background stories as well!

Regarding the choice of the Tempest variant, despite

1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

There is NOTHING concerning about it. 

, it does leave me super confused, as I never knew that a Series II Mk.V Tempest was ever out there with a Sabre IIa engine. The PN posted is probably the one from July 1944, certainly not reflecting Series II aircraft.

I only see any sense in providing a Sabre IIa engine if engine modifications 158/279 and 276 are installed. This would give us a Sabre IIa with +7 lbs boost stock and +9 lbs boost "mods on". Sort of a IIb. If that was to reflect aircraft on the continent by fall 1944, that might make some sense regarding power output "mods on", essentially a 1944 aircraft, while the Krauts happily have 1945 types. I'm sure kurfy is drowning himself in Champagne now, but I would really know more about that choice. I imagine Jason and the team had extensive new info on the plane and I do hope engine history is not sekrit.

Other than that, this is for sure the nicest looking Tempest EVER reproduced for a sim. Outstanding job!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

I spent a whole day at Hendon a few years ago. I still can't believe they don't even charge you for the visit. There I saw some birds that I never would have imagined I would see in my lifetime. Like the Blackburn Buccaneer, the HP Victor and the Avro Vulcan, to name a few. The plastic models shop at the exit was no small part of the visit!

Edited by danielprates

10 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Sabre IIa with +7 lbs boost stock and +9 lbs boost "mods on". Sort of a IIb

Check your figures, +9/+11

Great update. The amount of work and detail is unbelievable. I hope the FM is better than the P47!

Stop the hand wringing about the +11lb boost. Not the place for it. Do it in another thread please.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

The Tempest is looking really beautiful.

One half of Thomas and Shores' 2ndTAF "Superfighter" pairing with the Spitfire F/FR XIV.

I can't wait to see how she handles.

Great Story Jason - Great Job Everyone! :yahoo:

thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,  and thank you, .

I cant wait more, A small idea of when it will come out, even if it is approximate?

Posted (edited)

Glad to see you hit all the hot night spots of, erm, Colindale ('Hendon'), Jason!

Joking aside, it's great you pursued this so doggedly, and Salute! to the simmers of London who met up with you!

By the way, bah humbug! There's nothing wrong with "warm beer" - there are myriad delights to be discovered in the world of ales and real beer!

Edit: I've just looked at the WIP pics of the Tempest! Absolutely stunning work! I thought I was looking at a photo of an actual pit for one of them before realising it was the 3D model. Astonishing.

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Upvote 1

I can't wait to hear that Naiper Sabre Roaring!

she's only about 5-10mph slower than the D9 and that's saying something for her size.

this is going to be epic.

A magnificent effort from all involved, each aircraft looks awesome, congratulations to all who have helped bring these aircraft together, really appreciated.:drinks:

Really looking forward now to the release so we can have a go ourselves with those beasts.;)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

2 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Can you tell us the boost level please? The Sabre IIA was only rated to +9lbs without modifications which dates it to May-August 1944. Unless we're getting a later engine from the first batch of upgrades in September?

From the video is clear that the boost is 11 lbs

image.png.fda3562ce79ebf7d2313471fcb729205.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

fantastic. I got the shivers seeing them all flying together. Can't wait.

P.S.  can you reverse the order of how dev diaries appear so it's 'most recent first?' It's a pain trying to load that page on a mobile device, it scrolls you to the top as it loads all the images and you have to scroll back down through all of them to get to the most recent

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BKr_NobiWan said:

Nice! Düsseldorf...! 🙂

That is exactly I want to ask. Which city is represented in the video.

Düsseldorf indeed.

Dusseldorf IL2.jpg

Harbour.jpg

Edited by Uufflakke
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well, looks good to me for one! :good:

35 minutes ago, Melonfish said:

she's only about 5-10mph slower than the D9 and that's saying something for her size.

Like a flying TANK on steroids!!

37 minutes ago, Melonfish said:

She's ~20+ mph faster than the D9 at +11 lbs on the deck.

The model is beautiful, many congratulations to the team. I just hope it is not an under-powered version from the Spring, given that the opposition have the last-off-the-line examples that appeared in Spring '45.

Such a lovely aircraft deserves to have its Bodenplatte configuration, not one dating from Overlord.

Thanks for the write-up Jason, it really shows how much work is behind each plane and how they don't just happen magically.

Thanks for the Tempest video too. Lots of things in there, including the new pilot physiology (min 3:30) and new map and airfields. Also a nice view of the five amigos at the end, very exciting!

• Upvote 3