3000 steps condensed into one simple performance guide (plus spotting)

Geronimo553

1 hour ago, No1_Charlie said:

'iL2_setup.exe'

Dont choose the il2setup.exe.

the correct exe is called IL2.exe. It is in your /bin/game folder. There is at least 2 exe files:

il2.exe

launcher.exe

make sure you select the il2.exe file.

i‘m not at my pc atm, so if anybody has the exact path to the il2.exe please correct me.

Edited by H_Stiglitz
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, No1_Charlie said:

Hmm..I don't see the white text. I reinstalled it and pointed Reshade to the 'iL2_setup.exe'  in the main BoS folder. Started the game but still no white text! 

Please read the comment of @H_Stiglitz. Point reshade to the executable of the game, which is "IL-2.exe" - everything else is totally wrong.

• Thanks 1

Geronimo553
2 hours ago, -=-THERION said:

Please read the comment of @H_Stiglitz. Point reshade to the executable of the game, which is "IL-2.exe" - everything else is totally wrong.

This is correct, you will want to select the .exe located in the /bin/game folder. Otherwise reshade will not launch with the game. Also be sure to select the dx 10/11/12 option. 

This is the file you want to select during the reshade install. Also I dont know why my .exe shows up twice.
l69rCUc.png

If the game is not in your list and you installed the game via steam this is the location. Otherwise check where you installed the game.
xR08bsx.png

As for those having issue opening reshade the default is shift+f2. If reshade was installed correctly, you will see the key command to open reshade in the upper left of the load screen during the game's launch.

This is where you change the key command for the program.

ZeGwdDA.jpg

Can anyone tell me if they have noticed a loss of frames while running il-2's HDR mode while online? Online has been my biggest ???? in terms of frame loss as its odd and quite serve. I already know disabling "land_tex_lods" to 0 in the startup config helps framerate online along with enabling "low latency mode" via nvidia control panel. (tested that this week. so can confirm) But I have not yet tested the HDR setting and I assume it has been further optomised this past year. Any feedback would be appreciated on the frame loss/gain of having HDR on/off. 

Edited by Geronimo553

Geronimo553

Reshade Beta filters have been released in the "Reshade 2020" section. Please read the special instructions provided and I look forward to your feedback. 😄

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Roland_HUNter
On 5/24/2019 at 12:27 AM, Geronimo553 said:

Turn on low latency mode.

Why not ultra?

Ahm, my spotting with these new Reshade+Nvidia settings are far worse. What did I do wrong?

20200501010411_1.thumb.jpg.5230686e70429ee203e3bcedcab3ff8d.jpg

Geronimo553
2 hours ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

Why not ultra?

Ahm, my spotting with these new Reshade+Nvidia settings are far worse. What did I do wrong?

The Ultra setting for low latency mode will likely cause a loss of frame rate and generally not worth the loss of frames for a millisecond less of load time.

In the start config try setting multisampling to " multisampling = 1 " or off with = 0. Additionally you can try lowering your resolution to stretch the screen image. See if that helps with spotting. I have been trying some various settings that people have recommended in the forums and that seems to help. Though from your picture I would say that is pretty good for a target at 3km. Better than what most people can see! Could you post a comparison of your old settings or describe what exactly changed?

• Upvote 1

Roland_HUNter
10 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

The Ultra setting for low latency mode will likely cause a loss of frame rate and generally not worth the loss of frames for a millisecond less of load time.

In the start config try setting multisampling to " multisampling = 1 " or off with = 0. Additionally you can try lowering your resolution to stretch the screen image. See if that helps with spotting. I have been trying some various settings that people have recommended in the forums and that seems to help. Though from your picture I would say that is pretty good for a target at 3km. Better than what most people can see! Could you post a comparison of your old settings or describe what exactly changed?

My problem is that, on online servers my squadron mates with default graphics can see spots from far distance and the black dots (planes) are visible for me from only 600-900 m.

But I ll try out again with your next advices.

And we should not turn off the AA Gamma Correction?
Because.
ON:
10_GammaCorrect_On.jpg

OFF:
9_GammaCorrect_Off.jpg

This is the result with the new advices: 😢

20200501140632_1.thumb.jpg.a62e8e640c1da26ab513ac05b40ae43a.jpg

Its less visible in game than here. In game I see only the red text. No black point 😕

Edited by -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter

Roland_HUNter

Nvidia 0.30 sharpen 0.20 ignore film grain+ ingame sharpening:

I can easily see him from 8k.
20200501143730_1.thumb.jpg.e74730afeac7db2a8931edd6b547fe9a.jpg20200501143841_1.thumb.jpg.ee08947c4059266fd04f57099391f3d8.jpg

RedKestrel
14 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

Nvidia 0.30 sharpen 0.20 ignore film grain+ ingame sharpening:

I can easily see him from 8k.
20200501143730_1.thumb.jpg.e74730afeac7db2a8931edd6b547fe9a.jpg20200501143841_1.thumb.jpg.ee08947c4059266fd04f57099391f3d8.jpg

Are those settings for sharpen and ignore film grain in the 3D settings in the Nvidia control panel? 

Roland_HUNter
22 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Are those settings for sharpen and ignore film grain in the 3D settings in the Nvidia control panel? 

Yes

• Thanks 1

RedKestrel
26 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

Yes

I will give those a try, so far I haven't touched them. It looks like with those setting distant spotting is easier and the game looks very good from what I can tell. Do you also have Sharpen on in the game settings?

H_Stiglitz

you could also use the reshade "luma sharpen" filter on a low value (eg. 0.4 strenght and 0.25 sharp clamp, mode normal) and it'll make things easier to see without making it too sharp imo.

i can share my profile if you want to give it a try. it bases off of @Geronimo553s 2019 profile with some values slightly adjusted and additionally DPX and luma sharpen filters

edit: my luma shrapen values

[LumaSharpen.fx]
offset_bias=1.000000
pattern=1
sharp_clamp=0.250000
sharp_strength=0.400000
show_sharpen=0

Edited by H_Stiglitz
  • Thanks 1

Geronimo553
4 hours ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

Yes leave gamma correction turned on. What exactly have you changed?? Step by step. Because I guess I am not seeing what is causing this issue. 

Spotting in general is pretty poor right now and your results are what everyone is experiencing. I tried the default sharpening with the nvidia sharpen and ignore film grain settings. This just resulted in the same blurriness as default with no real difference. Soon as I turn on the beta reshade profile the planes appear more black and apparent. So I'm not really sure what the issue is. Like I said in the new beta post, doing the opposite of what we expect to happen is improving the image and is showing results.

Other than that try setting your dynamic screen resolution DSR to 2.00x and 20% smooth. Via nvidia control panel and global settings tab. 
pM4wQit.png

Additionally be sure to you set your quick matches to pursuit and turn on p51s as they are the smallest rendered plane at distance. For the latest tests I have been setting to them 5km away. 

3 hours ago, H_Stiglitz said:

i can share my profile if you want to give it a try. it bases off of @Geronimo553s 2019 profile with some values slightly adjusted and additionally DPX and luma sharpen filters

Sure, I would not mind seeing it either. Feel free to provide some screenshots.

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Upvote 1

H_Stiglitz
15 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Will do that tomorrow, alongside with the profile .ini file :) 

Roland_HUNter
3 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

I will give those a try, so far I haven't touched them. It looks like with those setting distant spotting is easier and the game looks very good from what I can tell. Do you also have Sharpen on in the game settings?

Yes I have ingame sharpening aswell.

1 hour ago, Geronimo553 said:

Yes leave gamma correction turned on. What exactly have you changed?? Step by step. Because I guess I am not seeing what is causing this issue. 

Spotting in general is pretty poor right now and your results are what everyone is experiencing. I tried the default sharpening with the nvidia sharpen and ignore film grain settings. This just resulted in the same blurriness as default with no real difference. Soon as I turn on the beta reshade profile the planes appear more black and apparent. So I'm not really sure what the issue is. Like I said in the new beta post, doing the opposite of what we expect to happen is improving the image and is showing results.

Other than that try setting your dynamic screen resolution DSR to 2.00x and 20% smooth. Via nvidia control panel and global settings tab. 
pM4wQit.png

Additionally be sure to you set your quick matches to pursuit and turn on p51s as they are the smallest rendered plane at distance. For the latest tests I have been setting to them 5km away. 

I changed nothing else. Just what you suggested and I had turned off gamma correction and texture filtering negative lod bias is clamp instead of allow.

• Thanks 1

Geronimo553
3 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

Yes I have ingame sharpening aswell.

I changed nothing else. Just what you suggested and I had turned off gamma correction and texture filtering negative lod bias is clamp instead of allow.

Hmm give the reshade 2020 section another read to be sure please. Then also tell me your resolution and if you have reduced it.

Roland_HUNter
5 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Hmm give the reshade 2020 section another read to be sure please. Then also tell me your resolution and if you have reduced it.

I tried it with 1680x1050 but it was very weird for me 😕

Geronimo553
6 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

I tried it with 1680x1050 but it was very weird for me 😕

You will have to test resolutions that work with your monitor. 

Roland_HUNter
38 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

You will have to test resolutions that work with your monitor. 

I would like to stay with 1980x1080 😢

Geronimo553
2 hours ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

I would like to stay with 1980x1080 😢

As would I, however it seems our native resolution is to narrow. Thus making planes appear smaller than they should. I really wish the devs would include an aspect ratio setting. Then we would not need to downscale. 

Though on the opposite side of that coin. Some people also say scaling up their resolution solves the spotting issue. So choose your poison I guess. lol

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Like 1

H_Stiglitz
4 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Though on the opposite side of that coin. Some people also say scaling up their resolution solves the spotting issue. So choose your poison I guess. lol

I use 1440 and can‘t complain. 165hz monitor, only tweaked reshade a little (posting screenies tomorrow with the profile) and 0.8 gamma.

it really comes down to your own preference. Some people prefer a darker image, some prefer a brighter one. At times i see stuff 50+km out. Rarely, but it happens.

also when adjusting stuff, fly for a couple of hours to see if you get used to it. Dont immediately change settings. I trained it in QMB, same place, 3 planes, 10km out, same alt or 1000m lower. I tweaked it until i was able to spot them immediately after flying away from them 10+km out. Dont expect wonders. You need time to get a feeling for it. Once you know what to look for at different distances (black dots or white dots) you‘ll see yourself spotting very well.

far distance, a bright image is hindering for me, the whites blind in too much with the distant fog we have.

Roland_HUNter
54 minutes ago, H_Stiglitz said:

I use 1440 and can‘t complain. 165hz monitor, only tweaked reshade a little (posting screenies tomorrow with the profile) and 0.8 gamma.

it really comes down to your own preference. Some people prefer a darker image, some prefer a brighter one. At times i see stuff 50+km out. Rarely, but it happens.

also when adjusting stuff, fly for a couple of hours to see if you get used to it. Dont immediately change settings. I trained it in QMB, same place, 3 planes, 10km out, same alt or 1000m lower. I tweaked it until i was able to spot them immediately after flying away from them 10+km out. Dont expect wonders. You need time to get a feeling for it. Once you know what to look for at different distances (black dots or white dots) you‘ll see yourself spotting very well.

far distance, a bright image is hindering for me, the whites blind in too much with the distant fog we have.

You tweaked what? Reshade?

H_Stiglitz
6 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

You tweaked what? Reshade?

I tried a lot. Graphics in game and reshade. I‘ll post all the settings i have as soon as i get on my pc, you can give it a go if you want. I would say i see decent. But then again, each individual is different. My stuff might not work for others, but you can at least try :) i‘ll @ you when i‘m posting the settings with screenies.

I played with all possible combos imo. Different reshade filters, high gamma, low gamma, very low gamma.... terrain detail settings, terrain view distance, distant buildings, clouds, other reshade profiles from users etc etc...

• Like 1

Roland_HUNter
40 minutes ago, H_Stiglitz said:

I tried a lot. Graphics in game and reshade. I‘ll post all the settings i have as soon as i get on my pc, you can give it a go if you want. I would say i see decent. But then again, each individual is different. My stuff might not work for others, but you can at least try :) i‘ll @ you when i‘m posting the settings with screenies.

I played with all possible combos imo. Different reshade filters, high gamma, low gamma, very low gamma.... terrain detail settings, terrain view distance, distant buildings, clouds, other reshade profiles from users etc etc...

In advance, thank you very mcuh! :)

H_Stiglitz

@-[HRAF]Roland_HUNter there we go:

Screen on 2560x1440, 165hz, no special settings on the screen, out of the box config.

my graphic settings, no modification of the startup.cgf:

settings.thumb.jpg.414a150f49d279a734b5d022e24172cd.jpg

first, let's look at contacts just over 10 km away, without all the reshade filters:

348937322_Nofilters.thumb.jpg.8adc1042eec3c1e0d5b4413226ba8751.jpg

you can barely see them in the red circle.

now if i turn on the filters...
456756760_allfilterson.thumb.jpg.3c75f98c60f81a5f06c5e2ffc42d51b3.jpg

you can see 2 out of 3 pretty easy, the 3rd is in a slight turn still, so renders really flat, barely visible. you notice it even more in the "moving" image instead of a screenshot.

now how do they render within 10 km or just at 10 km?

without filters and icons:

1569403012_withing10kmnofilter.thumb.jpg.3b0c370b3a7f26ef8b9d5494bbc26db6.jpg

without filters but icons on:

138620238_Iconsonnofilter.thumb.jpg.9c9d3939cd93f1aaca90e1c76723f012.jpg

filters on, no icons:

1366912986_within10kmwithfilter.thumb.jpg.fa16927abe19bda41fcbc86f262b1a53.jpg

filters on, icons on:

591753501_iconsonfilteron.thumb.jpg.838da11356db5dceb625b327f32a20ea.jpg

stuff is clearly more visible with the filters on. i have been playing around if i really need the "curves" or "luma sharpen" and personally, it makes it a little easier. try disabling one or the other filter, see what happens.

mostly toying with dpx on/off, luma sharpen on/off or curves on/off. the other 3 (adaptive sharpen, colorfulness, vibrance) are set in stone for me.

i had the most success with all filters on tho. and it doesn't look too bad graphics wise either :)

hope this helps, cheers!

Edited by H_Stiglitz
  • Like 1

Roland_HUNter
5 hours ago, H_Stiglitz said:

@-[HRAF]Roland_HUNter there we go:

my reshade profile:

il-2 Stiglitz.zip 3.29 kB · 1 download

Screen on 2560x1440, 165hz, no special settings on the screen, out of the box config.

my graphic settings, no modification of the startup.cgf:

settings.thumb.jpg.414a150f49d279a734b5d022e24172cd.jpg

first, let's look at contacts just over 10 km away, without all the reshade filters:

348937322_Nofilters.thumb.jpg.8adc1042eec3c1e0d5b4413226ba8751.jpg

you can barely see them in the red circle.

now if i turn on the filters...
456756760_allfilterson.thumb.jpg.3c75f98c60f81a5f06c5e2ffc42d51b3.jpg

you can see 2 out of 3 pretty easy, the 3rd is in a slight turn still, so renders really flat, barely visible. you notice it even more in the "moving" image instead of a screenshot.

now how do they render within 10 km or just at 10 km?

without filters and icons:

1569403012_withing10kmnofilter.thumb.jpg.3b0c370b3a7f26ef8b9d5494bbc26db6.jpg

without filters but icons on:

138620238_Iconsonnofilter.thumb.jpg.9c9d3939cd93f1aaca90e1c76723f012.jpg

filters on, no icons:

1366912986_within10kmwithfilter.thumb.jpg.fa16927abe19bda41fcbc86f262b1a53.jpg

filters on, icons on:

591753501_iconsonfilteron.thumb.jpg.838da11356db5dceb625b327f32a20ea.jpg

stuff is clearly more visible with the filters on. i have been playing around if i really need the "curves" or "luma sharpen" and personally, it makes it a little easier. try disabling one or the other filter, see what happens.

mostly toying with dpx on/off, luma sharpen on/off or curves on/off. the other 3 (adaptive sharpen, colorfulness, vibrance) are set in stone for me.

i had the most success with all filters on tho. and it doesn't look too bad graphics wise either :)

hope this helps, cheers!

I ll give a try! Thank you very much!

I tried it, and its pretty awesome:(i have 0.9 ingame gamma)
20200502141023_1.thumb.jpg.bf1806815865f6f2b98ce7fcb7c58f8b.jpg

• Thanks 1

H_Stiglitz

@-[HRAF]Roland_HUNter Yeah i‘ve been fiddling with gamma too, 0.8 /0.9 does not make a huge difference. If you wanna brighten it up, disabling curves filter helps, and if you want it a bit darker, turn off dpx filter :) 

• Upvote 1

Roland_HUNter
1 hour ago, H_Stiglitz said:

@-[HRAF]Roland_HUNter Yeah i‘ve been fiddling with gamma too, 0.8 /0.9 does not make a huge difference. If you wanna brighten it up, disabling curves filter helps, and if you want it a bit darker, turn off dpx filter :) 

disabling curves filter ?

H_Stiglitz
4 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

The reshade filters. You can enable/disable each of them individually and see what it does. If you uncheck the box for „curves“ it will make the image a little brighter

• Like 1

Geronimo553

Hmm yes, with those settings contacts can be seen further away. Though the game looks very over sharpened and busy from all the harsh contrast. I like what you have achieved in seeing planes further away. But the cost to do so has made the world cartoony from thick outlines. Plus the curves filter introduces more consistent blacks that blend planes into the ground. Curves is also fairly resource intensive. This is why I stepped away from using curves compared to last year. Don't get me wrong I understand everything is a give or take when it comes to balancing these filters between spotting and visuals. I have probably spent the better part of several days of my life just staring at these filters making minute adjustments by now. lol

Overall I like the filters Stiglitz, just give it some more refinement in reducing the thick contrasting black lines to prevent the oversharpened look. 

Also I have been working on a more apparent sharpen effect for distance spotting Roland. It was quite effective in multiplayer last night as I could see planes pretty clearly. The only real downside observed was tracer fire having black outlines and that was difficult to see. So trying to remedy that and clean up the contrast lines more. 

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Like 1

H_Stiglitz
5 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

refinement in reducing the thick contrasting black lines to prevent the oversharpened look.

Options here is to disable curves, raise gamma to 1.0 and to tone down both sharpening filters. You could totally disable luma sharpen, at the cost of some spotting. 

Edited by H_Stiglitz

Geronimo553
1 minute ago, H_Stiglitz said:

Options here is to disable curves, raise gamma to 1.0 and to tone down both sharpening filters. You could totally disable luma sharpen, at the cost of some spotting. 

I would keep the gamma around 0.8 or 0.9. Otherwise the coloring begins to be washed out. At gamma 1.0 or above curve really becomes a must to keep the dark tones. 

I did play around with luma sharpen. Adaptive sharpen also has this feature to a lessor controllable degree. Through testing I have observed using a white contrast to provide object clarity like luma sharpen actually reduces the size of planes at distance. Which in turn hurts spotting by making planes smaller. For which is my current dilemma attempting to balance this trade off. Because without a white contrast objects appear more blotchy instead of clear. 

H_Stiglitz
34 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Through testing I have observed using a white contrast to provide object clarity like luma sharpen actually reduces the size of planes at distance.

Yeah, it comes down to what you prefer atm. Spotting or more realistic graphics. As the values are pretty low on luma sharpen, i prefer to have it on. The tradeoff of the oversharpened image is minimal and the benefit it gives you in spotting is insane. It is a little too sharp to look „very nice“ but in the end it‘s worth the tradeoff. 
i felt the nvidia sharpen to make the image look way worse than luma does

• Upvote 1

Geronimo553
On 5/2/2020 at 9:28 AM, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

On 5/2/2020 at 1:19 PM, H_Stiglitz said:

Yeah, it comes down to what you prefer atm. Spotting or more realistic graphics. As the values are pretty low on luma sharpen, i prefer to have it on. The tradeoff of the oversharpened image is minimal and the benefit it gives you in spotting is insane. It is a little too sharp to look „very nice“ but in the end it‘s worth the tradeoff. 
i felt the nvidia sharpen to make the image look way worse than luma does

@-[HRAF]Roland_HUNter @H_Stiglitz

Give this a try, its entire focus was spotting. Also turn on the game's sharpening. Flip between adaptivesharpen and lumasharpen or have both on. I look forward to your comments and I will hold my own until you both reply.

[Redacted]

Edited by Geronimo553

H_Stiglitz

@Geronimo553

wow, thank you so much for your effort. that's amazing!

also, you should have a beer 🍻

i tested all of the presets and when comparing it, your beta preset was the most consistent one.

i tested on rheinland summer, 14:00,no clouds. There i must say the beta preset and mine are about equally good for spotting at 15-20km or further.

then i went on stalingrad autumn, 14:00 no clouds. the map where nobody seems to see anything :) 

and, wow. your beta preset is amazing. i enabled luma sharpen aswell, both combined seem to work well.

contacts at same altitude or higher are obviously easy to see, distances about 20km, maybe 15.

contacts on the deck are tricky. 3x IL-2 on 500m when me myself am at 4000m.... oof. it is definitely easier with the beta preset than it is with mine. they are still very hard to see, due to the "shitty" ground textures this map has, especially in its autumn variant.

but still, an improvement was noticed and i will give this preset some testing time and see if i notice contacts consistently, especially on the deck when flying on stalingrad :) 

• Thanks 1

Roland_HUNter

@Geronimo553

What have you done 😄

Ingame sharpen oly.
20200506180102_1.thumb.jpg.659d5573b8fcf44be4fc8c4aa565e270.jpg

Ingame sharpen+Luma

20200506180105_1.thumb.jpg.2698fbcc9070d97ab399963feda080ba.jpg

Ingame sharpen+Adaptive

20200506180109_1.thumb.jpg.58e07dd649d920ff2e2c0c276b926882.jpg

If you zoom in, you can see.
Base game spotting is very bad you have to zoom in very very much.
Base game sharpen+Luma: 30% better spotting
Base game sharpen+Adaptive:80-100% better spotting.

THAT PLANE ON THE PICTURES IS 40-60 km away from me! With the third option I can see it like it was only 10 km away.

Very good job @Geronimo553!!!!

PS: You can't zoom in enough to see the contact in the webbrowser with only ingame sharpening. But you can see the spot in Photoshop or in paint 😄

• Like 2

H_Stiglitz

well i guess we found the most "ideal" setting that is currently possible :)

agianst the sky, distant spotting is really really good with that setting. towards the ground especially on stalingrad it remains a challenge. but over rheinland or kuban, no issue at all. i guess the ground textures in stalingrad are just too different and less detailed as all the other maps

• Like 1

Geronimo553
13 hours ago, H_Stiglitz said:

@Geronimo553

wow, thank you so much for your effort. that's amazing!

3 hours ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

What have you done 

Very good job @Geronimo553!!!!

Thank you, I'm glad you both are pleased with the results. I spent a couple days solely trying to tune it to clearly see contacts without turning the world into a cartoon. As you can see planes are in fact shown out to far distances. There are two distinctly difficult planes to see at distance, the PE-2 and P51. My tests were conducted starting at 8km away at 1500 alt over kuban. The PE-2 almost always appears invisible regardless. The P51 acquires a thick blackout line. Regardless of how low or how high settings were applied, this was always the case. So I settled on seeing the P51 at distance above attempting to see the PE-2.

I am actually displeased with the results. Mainly because the results give planes a black halo or outline. So if you fly above a forest for example the planes will have a thick black outline very clearly against the forest at close range and you will not really see the plane itself. Which is something I simply could not get around due to the games sharpening! The adaptivesharpen settings provided only enhance what the default sharpening of the game provides. So the black outline of planes is what the developers choose to include in the game via their sharpening option. This outlining also effects scratches by outlining scratches into very thick and busy streaks in the cockpit. These streaks thereby make the glass busy and distracting to the sky outside. Since the latest dev update video showcasing reflections seems to have removed glass scratches, I predict this will not be an issue for long. 

Though because I found the results so undesirable and that they do provide a clear cut advantage for anyone that uses them. (the same advantage as anyone else who oversharpens their game) I have went ahead and redacted the information from my post above. Too the eleven people that downloaded it. I ask you to purely use it for testing purposes. The next beta guide profile will be uploaded with a lesser degree of unfair advancement and more focus on realistic enhancement as was always the goal for me. The new version should be released soon enough. Spotting will still be the focus of the next upload as I am very satisfied with the coloring. Currently testing it. 

Regardless, there truly is little we can do to defeat this spotting issue. In truth, with our current options, we are forced into an all or nothing predicament in regards to spotting. We cannot set sharpening low enough to prevent the black outlining of planes and equally "at present" the black outline is the only way to see planes at all over distance. So I want to conclude by thanking you both for your efforts and tests. I really wanted to see your opinions and how it appeared on your hardware. I very much appreciate your feedback.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

H_Stiglitz

the biggest issue with all adjustments is that you cannot adjust sharpen to ONLY sharpen objects. it sharpend ground textures aswell, thus making oversharpening also useless, as planes will then start blending in with the oversharpened background too. it is not of any use to oversharpen it crazily. as the landscape sharpens with it.

you will notice that especially with a high sharpening combined with distand blocks. the plane will completely vanish over a city at some distance, due to the simple sharpen overload.

personally i tuned it back as i don't want to have halos around planes and value the game optics high enough to sacrifice some spotting for it. hope the new rendering will change things for the better in the future.

Edited by H_Stiglitz