von_Tom

Valve Index website now live

This is a very nice headset!

Seems they put an extra effort in ergonomics (IPD adjust, no halo, face angle adjustable, headphones not touching ears, soft cushion).

Resolution is the same than VivePro or Odyssey, but with full 3 RGB subpixel per pixel thank to LCD panels.

And they offer a very nice purchase options, just headset, or with controllers or with basestations.

The headset alone has a nice price 539€!  Very tempting!

Let´s see first reviews!

I pre-ordered the Rift S a few minutes ago - still debating on the Index.

Definitely like the features of it, but would required me to buy the entire kit which is a bit of a hit.

2 minutes ago, dburne said:

Definitely like the features of it, but would required me to buy the entire kit which is a bit of a hit.

I think you should buy one then tell us all if any improvements over the Rift justify the price.

von Tom

2 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

I think you should buy one then tell us all if any improvements over the Rift justify the price.

von Tom

Lol yeah right...

Well we know the audio will be better for sure, tracking will be better although for just flight simming I am sure Rift S tracking will be great also.

Little larger FOV would be nice, not sure how that amount would translate into how much more we actually see. And still having a physical IPD adjustment is handy.

And then of course is performance - certainly the Rift S performance should be better.

I just don't know.

1 hour ago, chiliwili69 said:

This is a very nice headset!

Seems they put an extra effort in ergonomics (IPD adjust, no halo, face angle adjustable, headphones not touching ears, soft cushion).

Resolution is the same than VivePro or Odyssey, but with full 3 RGB subpixel per pixel thank to LCD panels.

And they offer a very nice purchase options, just headset, or with controllers or with basestations.

The headset alone has a nice price 539€!  Very tempting!

Let´s see first reviews!

Hey Chili, I guess my question is, can I run IL2 at a good framerate with this new headset? I was very nervous about the Pimax because it's just so many pixels. But with a more mainstream manufacturer like Valve, working closely with SteamVR, I have some confidence it'll be a good software experience. I'm trying to figure whether I can drive the pixels, as well as other things that I care about:

• Rift S, 1280x1440 per eye @ 80hz, standard FOV, Oculus software ecosystem, $400
  • Valve Index, 1440x1600 per eye @ 80/90/120/144hz, "up to 20 degrees more" FOV, SteamVR ecosystem, $999 
  • HP Reverb, 2160x2160 per eye @ 90hz, standard FOV, WMR ecosystem, $599
  • Pimax, 2560x1440 per eye @ 72/80/90hz, ultra-wide FOV, combination SteamVR + Pimax custom software, $999 + SteamVR lighthouses

I haven't mentioned tracking because I believe for IL2 any half-decent tracking will be fine. My current rig is 8086K @ 5.0ghz, RXT 2080 (non-ti). I guess worst case with a very high resolution HMD you can always under-sample to get closer to the framerate, or cross fingers and hope for things like SteamVR reprojection or foveated rendering to help the GPU.

Posted (edited)

Performance wise the Rift S would deliver likely the best, supposedly on par with current Rift CV1 performance.

However optics would be a little better with the others, but at what cost in performance remains to be seen.

Of the latter three I myself would only consider the Valve Index - but man that price tag for the bundle is tough.

Still seriously considering it though.

Edited by dburne

Posted (edited)

Interesting unit to test for sure. I'll buy it to compare with vivepro. I was secretly hoping Index would use OLED or AMOLED panels for color richness but instead they went after the SDE debacle. My experience with Pimax 5K+ LCD screens was pretty bad as it was like flying inside a foggy bright dream world, no blacks, just grays, no color contrast and going back to vivepro I had a 'omg' moment. For some games LCD is enough, but for IL2 the black colors are a must.

Edited by bombdetere

1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

Hey Chili, I guess my question is, can I run IL2 at a good framerate with this new headset? I was very nervous about the Pimax because it's just so many pixels. But with a more mainstream manufacturer like Valve, working closely with SteamVR, I have some confidence it'll be a good software experience. I'm trying to figure whether I can drive the pixels, as well as other things that I care about:

• Rift S, 1280x1440 per eye @ 80hz, standard FOV, Oculus software ecosystem, $400
  • Valve Index, 1440x1600 per eye @ 80/90/120/144hz, "up to 20 degrees more" FOV, SteamVR ecosystem, $999 
  • Pimax, 2560x1440 per eye @ 72/80/90hz, ultra-wide FOV, combination SteamVR + Pimax custom software, $999 + SteamVR lighthouses

I haven't mentioned tracking because I believe for IL2 any half-decent tracking will be fine. My current rig is 8086K @ 5.0ghz, RXT 2080 (non-ti). I guess worst case with a very high resolution HMD you can always under-sample to get closer to the framerate, or cross fingers and hope for things like SteamVR reprojection or foveated rendering to help the GPU.

The HP reverb should work just like the pimax regarding load on gpu.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dburne said:

I was ready to order the Index on release and would have bought the full monty. But the sub-par resolution makes it just another 1.5 gen option not worth consideration, especially at the price of ~1100 euro. I`ll be picking up the Reverb or maybe the Acer version as the resolution is vastly superior. The rift S is another 1.5 gen hmd but at least it doesn`t pretend to be anything else. If the price dropped to the 300 euro mark I might consider it. Resolution trumps everything in my view.

Edited by Wulfen

Posted (edited)

Interesting review already on youtube based on 30 minutes hands on:

Valve Index is currently my front runner for Rift replacement: I do like the physical adjustment of the IPD and the solution for the headphones. I do think that the overall build, optics, software and the ecosystem are more important as compared to just pure resolution point. Hence not sure that Pimax or Reverb would be better. Would be interesting to see the first reviews with real life and hopefully IL-2 application. 

Still pre ordered Rift S just to try it out and bridge the time :P 

Edited by Mephisto

Posted (edited)

The rift s will no doubt be the best balance between image quality and performance. Seeing as how the index runs at different refresh rates is interesting. My o+ at 80hz would be amazing. 60hz is too low. You lose the brightness and 3d seems to disappear. It's hard to explain. If I got an index I wouldn't get the knuckles. Don't play anything besides seated Sims. 

Also it's obvious the index is the most interesting enthusiast oriented headset ever released. Definitely interested. 

Edited by JonRedcorn

19 hours ago, dburne said:

I’m in the same boat,and wonder if anyone has any additional information other than what I’ve read on the STEAM Store site.Is this a definite improvement on the HTC Vive or just tweeked? It offers a slightly improved FoV and perhaps SCE but still has some of the same features of Rift. 

18 hours ago, Alonzo said:

This is the golden question for all of us. But the answer is quite straight forward: Don´t be afraid of higher resolutions, the guilty guy is still CPU!

I have been closely following the resolution of the new devices, and the internal supersampling they use when you set the SS=100% in SteamVR. I have compiled this info in the benchmark online sheet in the tab "SS per device": https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gJmnz_nVxI6_dG_UYNCCpZVK2-f8NBy-y1gia77Hu_k/

In that table I have assumed certain internal SS for the Reverb (same than WMR), Rift S (same than Rift) and Index (same than Rift). I will update them once we know the exact values.

Firstly, I will directly take out of your equation the Rift S. Basically because it doesn´t bring any significant resolution bump over the current Rift. It is true it is the cheapest one but the worse in terms of resolution. And resolution is want we want here in IL-2. If you are considering other games then it is another story, but what we talk about here is just IL-2 VR, nothing else (I will tell you that IL-2 is the only game I play with my Pimax5K, nothing else).

As you already own a Rift you can do some testing to determine how many pixels can your GPU support (you have a 2080). For example, go to a quick mission in Lapino in winter with no clouds and just two planes (you and another) and using same settings than benchmark (HIGH, etc). If you set SS=100% you will basically get 90fps "all the time" (below 11ms framerate). Now increase your SS to 126%, 150%, 176%, 200%, 226%. You will see that you still get 90 fps most of the time. It means that you GPU can handle well 226% SS, which is 9.7 million pixels. I recommend the fpsVR tool for few dollars to learn the role of your CPU vs GPU in every scenario.

In the Rift, there is not much visual gain beyond 150-170% SS.

Based in the assumption I made for the internal SS, to reach 9.7 million pixels you will need these SS in each device:

HP Reverb: 85%

Rift S: 159%

Index: 127%

Pimax: 38%

Considering only the first three with similar FOVs (Pimax has FOV in another galaxy and this is a truly nice thing, maybe too much) you will get a much crisper and detailed image with the Reverb, followed by Index and then RiftS. In conclusion: for the same load to the GPU (same rendered pixels) it is always better a higher resolution panel.

In addition, a higher resolution panel reduces more the SDE.

If you already own a Rift (or Vive) there is no point to go to the Rift S.

If someone doesn´t own any device, the Rift S is a good entry point to IL-2 VR, but for a similar price I would go to a Odyssey+.

For IL-2 VR, the Index would only require one basestation  (v1.0 or V2.0) for 149$ and the headset for 500$.

But VR is very very subjective (there are people who loved the VivePro, but I couldn´t go with it), so the ergonomics plays a very important role.

I will buy the Reverb and possibly the Index, and will compare it with Pimax5K. I will keep just one, and sell the others. But the Rift S is clearly a no way for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Considering only the first three with similar FOVs (Pimax has FOV in another galaxy and this is a truly nice thing, maybe too much) you will get a much crisper and detailed image with the Reverb, followed by Index and then RiftS. In conclusion: for the same load to the GPU (same rendered pixels) it is always better a higher resolution panel.

In addition, a higher resolution panel reduces more the SDE.

If you already own a Rift (or Vive) there is no point to go to the Rift S.

If someone doesn´t own any device, the Rift S is a good entry point to IL-2 VR, but for a similar price I would go to a Odyssey+.

For IL-2 VR, the Index would only require one basestation  (v1.0 or V2.0) for 149$ and the headset for 500$.

But VR is very very subjective (there are people who loved the VivePro, but I couldn´t go with it), so the ergonomics plays a very important role.

I will buy the Reverb and possibly the Index, and will compare it with Pimax5K. I will keep just one, and sell the others. But the Rift S is clearly a no way for me.

Thank you for the detailed answer. For me, the reason to go from Rift to Rift S is that you do get some improvement in visual quality -- 40% more pixels along with 3-subpixel LCD is better than less pixels in pentile arrangement. A DCS developer stated that cockpit gauges are much more readable in the Rift S. I could sell my original Rift, so the upgrade might only cost $200 out of pocket. But I take your point -- Rift S is clearly the least improvement of all the options.

I think your conclusion is very important: it is always better to have a higher resolution panel and then change the supersample to match your GPU, than to have a lower resolution panel and GPU power to spare.

Is it 100% confirmed that the Index would work for IL2 with just one base-station? That makes it a much more viable option -- $649 instead of $999.

Hmm, I have thought of another possible benefit for the Index: Since it can run at 120hz, we technically gain access to a 60hz reprojection mode. IL2 often cannot hit the 11ms CPU time to achieve 90 FPS, but it might be able to hit 16ms to achieve 60 FPS and then have SteamVR interpolate to 120 FPS. Is SteamVR reprojection any good? The Oculus stuff is reasonable but of course IL2 doesn't support the new ASW 2.0 mode with depth buffers.

34 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Is it 100% confirmed that the Index would work for IL2 with just one base-station? That makes it a much more viable option -- $649 instead of $999

I can not put my hand on the fire for that, but I would say that 99% probability that it will work.

IL-2 VR has been built following the OpenVR standards from Valve, so I believe that Index will be fully compatible with IL-2 VR.

With SteamVR, either with Vive, Vivepro and Pimax you can use none (with just 3DOF), one or two basestations.

My Pimax5K runs flawlessly with just one basestation (v1.0).

2 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Is it 100% confirmed that the Index would work for IL2 with just one base-station? That makes it a much more viable option -- $649 instead of $999.

Is SteamVR reprojection any good?

vivepro works with a single base-station, OGvive works with a single base station as well. 2 are only required for a room-scale setup (in opposing corners).  I assume Index would follow suite.

steamVR 'motion smoothing' is excellent. Same prop artifacts as with rift ASW though.. but as far as steady 45fps smooth factor goes the experience is exactly the same.

2 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Only shipping to US and EU put a whole dampener on the Index for me. That sucks.:negative:

Have you think in this kind of services: https://www.myus.com/

I personally never use them but I know they exist. I don´t know how they handle the warranty.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Thank you for the detailed answer. For me, the reason to go from Rift to Rift S is that you do get some improvement in visual quality -- 40% more pixels along with 3-subpixel LCD is better than less pixels in pentile arrangement. A DCS developer stated that cockpit gauges are much more readable in the Rift S. I could sell my original Rift, so the upgrade might only cost $200 out of pocket. But I take your point -- Rift S is clearly the least improvement of all the options.

I think your conclusion is very important: it is always better to have a higher resolution panel and then change the supersample to match your GPU, than to have a lower resolution panel and GPU power to spare.

Hmm, I have thought of another possible benefit for the Index: Since it can run at 120hz, we technically gain access to a 60hz reprojection mode. IL2 often cannot hit the 11ms CPU time to achieve 90 FPS, but it might be able to hit 16ms to achieve 60 FPS and then have SteamVR interpolate to 120 FPS. Is SteamVR reprojection any good? The Oculus stuff is reasonable but of course IL2 doesn't support the new ASW 2.0 mode with depth buffers.

You'd be far better off running lower hz like 80 than going higher and using ASW, as it's pretty terrible in these flight sims with visual artifacts all over the place. It all depends on the person though since some people play just fine with ASW and low framerates. That's whats super cool about the index, it lets you choose more than one strict HZ option, or two crappy ones like the o+ 90/60. 60 is way too low.

On another note, running a higher res screen undersampled in my opinion looks horrible. If I drop the odyssey below 100% the jagged edges are barely hidden by even 4xAA. Which is just going to hammer your performance anyways. Even at 100% the o+ doesn't look all that great with very hard jagged edges. The headset doesn't really start to shine until you hit those 150+ SS numbers in which case your framerate suffers tremendously. It's almost impossible to get a good picture and a good framerate out of it. Which is why I am so disappointed with it.

If you already run with low frames then higher resolution and higher HZ is great for you, if not I think people will be surprised by how much of a performance hit they get when they upgrade to nicer screens.

Edited by JonRedcorn

20 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

On another note, running a higher res screen undersampled in my opinion looks horrible. If I drop the odyssey below 100% the jagged edges are barely hidden by even 4xAA. Which is just going to hammer your performance anyways. Even at 100% the o+ doesn't look all that great with very hard jagged edges. The headset doesn't really start to shine until you hit those 150+ SS numbers in which case your framerate suffers tremendously. It's almost impossible to get a good picture and a good framerate out of it. Which is why I am so disappointed with it.

It really depends on the "internal SS" that every device in applying when you set SS=100%. Every brand device has a different internal SS over the physical display resolution. I call it "absolute SS".

For example,

the Rift it has a value of 1.6

The Vive or VivePro has 1.96

All WMR (except Odyssey) has 1.22

The Odyssey has 1.1

The Pimax5K has 3.44

The calculation of those values is shown in the online sheet link shown in my previous post.

This is explains why the people with the Vive and VivePro doesn´t get much more detail going beyond 100% SS in SteamVR.

Also explain why you have to raise the SS to 150% to start not having jagged edges (at 150% you have 7.6 million pixels, this is equivalent to 176% SS on the Rift)

So your 1080Ti is quite capable to move 7.6 million pixels (mine was quite ok with Rift at 176% SS). The problem is still CPU at heavy scenarios (I have never played online multiplayer).

You can try to flight with no clouds at all in QMB, just to see how fluent is your system.

4 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

It really depends on the "internal SS" that every device in applying when you set SS=100%. Every brand device has a different internal SS over the physical display resolution. I call it "absolute SS".

For example,

the Rift it has a value of 1.6

The Vive or VivePro has 1.96

All WMR (except Odyssey) has 1.22

The Odyssey has 1.1

The Pimax5K has 3.44

The calculation of those values is shown in the online sheet link shown in my previous post.

This is explains why the people with the Vive and VivePro doesn´t get much more detail going beyond 100% SS in SteamVR.

Also explain why you have to raise the SS to 150% to start not having jagged edges (at 150% you have 7.6 million pixels, this is equivalent to 176% SS on the Rift)

So your 1080Ti is quite capable to move 7.6 million pixels (mine was quite ok with Rift at 176% SS). The problem is still CPU at heavy scenarios (I have never played online multiplayer).

You can try to flight with no clouds at all in QMB, just to see how fluent is your system.

I've tried everything haha.

If I figured out how to get 90 or even a 80 fps average without making the game look horrible I'd be using it all the time. But I can't and most likely won't at any point unless we get a serious step up in cpu IPC performance in the next year or two.

I’ll wait and read through the experiences of the ones with more expendable income before deciding which new headset to get. 😀

11 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

If I figured out how to get 90 or even a 80 fps average without making the game look horrible I'd be using it all the time. But I can't and most likely won't at any point unless we get a serious step up in cpu IPC performance in the next year or two.

All of the theory says that stepping up to a 2080Ti won't make a difference if your CPU is already fast.  For me, running a 8700k at 4.9 and a 1080 with the game's settings at ultra and getting around 50fps with drops to 40 or so, upgrading to a 2080Ti took me to a rock steady 90 with occasional drops to 60 down low. 

von Tom

2 hours ago, von_Tom said:

All of the theory says that stepping up to a 2080Ti won't make a difference if your CPU is already fast.  For me, running a 8700k at 4.9 and a 1080 with the game's settings at ultra and getting around 50fps with drops to 40 or so, upgrading to a 2080Ti took me to a rock steady 90 with occasional drops to 60 down low. 

von Tom

And I've got a magical leprechaun that craps pots of gold. 🤔

2 hours ago, von_Tom said:

von Tom

Yeah I agree -  if you have a late gen CPU running around 5 GHz along with good DDR4 ram a 2080 Ti compliments it quite nicely especially for VR.

I don't really get the drops down low myself, only time I really see any significant drops is when in close proximity to several aircraft, like close to the 9 bombers in formation our flight is escorting. So 13 aircraft flying in close proximity will cause some drops for me. Once we start to spread out it kicks right back up there.

I too am running at Ultra settings.

44 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

And I've got a magical leprechaun that craps pots of gold. 🤔

Cool.  I have a unicorn, and that is the only reason I could afford a 2080Ti.  That and it *cough* is a work essential (saving tax, corporation tax and personal tax so it worked out at a real world cost half of retail cost) honest.

I tried many things to get to a rock steady 90 with an 1080.  For a long time it was fine even on ultra but then they changed the view distance and so on and I wasn't prepared to compromise on graphics.

von Tom

15 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

Cool.  I have a unicorn, and that is the only reason I could afford a 2080Ti.  That and it *cough* is a work essential (saving tax, corporation tax and personal tax so it worked out at a real world cost half of retail cost) honest.

I tried many things to get to a rock steady 90 with an 1080.  For a long time it was fine even on ultra but then they changed the view distance and so on and I wasn't prepared to compromise on graphics.

von Tom

Dburne has a similar system and I am 99% sure he doesn't get 90 fps avg on ultra, this game isn't gpu bound at all, going from a 1070 to a 1080ti was barely noticeable. It doesn't matter what GPU you are running the game will drop into the 50's on ANY setup. Fly over a town or forest, or get into a dogfight and even the most expensive and monstrous system will be brought to its knees. Saying you get 90 fps on ultra is disingenuous when anyone with a decent cpu and gpu can do that while staring at the empty sky. The second planes appear or more than a village is on the ground that doesn't hold true. And there in lies the issue. It doesn't matter that you spent 1300 dollars for a minor performance improvement. It makes no difference. I wouldn't be shocked to see your avg frames around 65-70. Especially on ultra.

30 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

This is like the erroneous belief that physics cannot explain how bees can fly.  Physics can, but you have to understand why.

I am not a physicist or computer bod so I'll leave this with the suggestion that you should try it then you'll see.

von Tom

56 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

Dburne has a similar system and I am 99% sure he doesn't get 90 fps avg on ultra, this game isn't gpu bound at all, going from a 1070 to a 1080ti was barely noticeable. It doesn't matter what GPU you are running the game will drop into the 50's on ANY setup. Fly over a town or forest, or get into a dogfight and even the most expensive and monstrous system will be brought to its knees. Saying you get 90 fps on ultra is disingenuous when anyone with a decent cpu and gpu can do that while staring at the empty sky. The second planes appear or more than a village is on the ground that doesn't hold true. And there in lies the issue. It doesn't matter that you spent 1300 dollars for a minor performance improvement. It makes no difference. I wouldn't be shocked to see your avg frames around 65-70. Especially on ultra.

I stay pegged 85-90 fps the vast bulk of the time. On runway, flying low over terrain even with some smoke , dogfights. And this is over Kuban. Previously with the same 2080 Ti and my i7 4820k at 4.5  GHz I stayed on 45 fps on runway and down low over terrain.

The only time I have any significant drops to speak of is as I mentioned, when in close escorting a formation of bombers flying together. When we first join up in formation it will drop even down to 45 fps, but shortly after climbs up to around 70 fps. Once we get to the bombing destination and spread out some it climbs right back up to 85-90 fps.

The main hit on fps that I see is when in close proximity to several AI aircraft, where they are all in view such as bomber formation.

No I will not maintain a constant 90 fps throughout any entire mission, however I am getting probably about as close as I could hope for with today's technology and game coding.

My i9 9900k CPU is running at 5.1 GHz on all cores, no AVX offset, and my 2080 Ti running between 2050 Mhz and 2100 MHz depending on GPU temp.

I run 1.6 SS and Graphics on Ultra.

It will be interesting to see what I get when the new Rift S gets here. I am hoping it will be on par with the Rift or at least very close. If not I will tone the graphics down a little I guess.

35 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

This is like the erroneous belief that physics cannot explain how bees can fly.  Physics can, but you have to understand why.

I am not a physicist or computer bod so I'll leave this with the suggestion that you should try it then you'll see.

von Tom

using physics/computer knowledge as an argument whilst immediately retreating when asked to provide more concrete evidence. Not sure how to take your words seriously.

• Upvote 1

Ha, Ha Ha, we need a proper benchmark to finish all these iterative comments.

I tend to believe what Dburne says. Not only because he has the top machine (CPU/Mobo/GPU) but also because other people with that CPU run the becnhmark in the past and they were also very close to 90fps (look to the table).

It mus be taken into account that Dburne is using Rift which has much less resolution that O+.

JonRedCorn, with your CPU at 5.0 and a 1080Ti and the Rift with 150%SS, and benchmark  settings you should also be very close to 90fps most of the time. If not something is wrong in your system. Please, use fpsVR app to determine what is blocking your system.

2 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Dburne has a similar system

I would not say exactly a "similar system".

First, he uses the Rift, not the O+.

Second he has a 2080Ti, not a 1080Ti

Third, he has a 9900K at 5.1 (no AVX) with a larger L3 cache than yours. We really don´t know the role that L3 cache plays with IL-2 VR.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Ha, Ha Ha, we need a proper benchmark to finish all these iterative comments.

I tend to believe what Dburne says. Not only because he has the top machine (CPU/Mobo/GPU) but also because other people with that CPU run the becnhmark in the past and they were also very close to 90fps (look to the table).

It mus be taken into account that Dburne is using Rift which has much less resolution that O+.

JonRedCorn, with your CPU at 5.0 and a 1080Ti and the Rift with 150%SS, and benchmark  settings you should also be very close to 90fps most of the time. If not something is wrong in your system. Please, use fpsVR app to determine what is blocking your system.

I would not say exactly a "similar system".

First, he uses the Rift, not the O+.

Second he has a 2080Ti, not a 1080Ti

Third, he has a 9900K at 5.1 (no AVX) with a larger L3 cache than yours. We really don´t know the role that L3 cache plays with IL-2 VR.

I was talking about von Tom's system And those benchmark runs weren't done on ultra settings. They are claiming 90 fps with ultra settings and copious amounts of SS. I don't care what anyone says. Show me a video flying over either the large port on kuban or Stalingrad with these claimed settings in a 4v4 not a single system here will hit anywhere close to 90. Hell I'll make a benchmark run we can use when I get home and then we can all run it. 

Tired of the crap I keep hearing. My system works perfectly. The 9900k has no increase in single core speed and the l3 cache isn't giving boosts of 40-50% in performance. If it did we'd see far larger gains between a 4 core i3 and a i7 with the 6 cores. There's no difference. 

The bench will be ran at full ultra settings with every setting put on max and we will get the SS dialed in so everyone is running the same resolution. Then we will see who's full of it. 

Edited by JonRedcorn

1 hour ago, bombdetere said:

using physics/computer knowledge as an argument whilst immediately retreating when asked to provide more concrete evidence. Not sure how to take your words seriously.

As is the suggestion that one has retreated when asked to provide more concrete evidence, when no such request has been made. 

Or perhaps you would be so good as to direct me to the request?

von Tom

Posted (edited)

As is the suggestion that one has retreated when asked to provide more concrete evidence, when no such request has been made. 

von Tom

Please do provide evidence I asked if you could please show a video of 90 fps over the large port in kuban. Easily accessible in quick mission battle. 4v4. Ultra settings. Or you can go right over stalingrad. Thanks. 

Edited by JonRedcorn

7 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

von Tom

we're in VR section, it's all about frame render times, FPS's, cpu, gpu and all other techno garbage you can think of. Benchmarks are all implied. 😄   I'm not going for a cop out, just used to folks here to back up their VR performance statements, that's all. I didn't mean any disrespect, @von_Tom

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

Please do provide evidence I asked if you could please show a video of 90 fps over the large port in kuban. Easily accessible in quick mission battle. 4v4. Ultra settings. Or you can go right over stalingrad. Thanks. 

I’ll have a look when I get home. 

von Tom

• Upvote 1

I’ll have a look when I get home. 

von Tom

i've been on the fence about getting a 2080ti myself since it came out, and was looking for a glimpse of positive feedback from the players here to sway me in to buying that expensive monstrosity. 😄  If your benchmark truly shows a significant improvement you'll get a convert in your camp. Right now i'm 8700k (5.1) and 1080ti flying on Balanced. It's the only way I can hang with 15+ players furballs in MP. 

Now this is getting interesting. Looks like Valve index actually ships to my country (not like Oculus) and while it is not cheap, the Headset + Base is cheaper than what I payed for the Oculus Rift (Headset + Sensor only) back when it was launched on pre-order.

I'm not going to rush it this time but it's definitely great to know that finally I have an option to order a decent headset without the feeling I'm a smuggler.