Combat Box by Red Flight

Alonzo
40 minutes ago, WelshWarrior said:

Hi guys,  can anyone point me in the right direction in regards to joining an Axis fighter squadron? A team that plays regular, preferably GMT nights? 

I’m a fairly experienced pilot (670 hours) mainly on the WOL servers. Looking to progress to a more authentic experience. 

Thank you,

WelshWarrior. 

I’m not sure exactly which squads fly at what times, but you can always join the Combat Box Discord and ask in our looking for wingman channel. discord.combatbox.net, or others might answer in this thread i guess.

Kampfpilot_JG3

MITCHELLS MEN B25's

I have  played this mission at the start for 1 hr , half way for 1 hr and the last 1 hr on different days but no B25 's notification's heading somewhere .  I then approached their air take off point for the last 25 mn of the mission  and again they never departed  or came back from any missions to the 3 take off points . Is this just my  bad luck ? finally are they supposed to go back to their air take off points ?

Hacking  you while you aim

Recently i was chasing an A20 over a target and while on his tail at close range suddenly the screen moved in a shudder about 4 times in a row pushing my aim to one side but i persevered and remained locked on and shot him down over Deurne fuel station . I understood immediately that this was deliberate using 2 known keys . Is this trick allowed ? if not are you able to monitor those who do apply this mod ? this is the first time it was done to me and i read here not long ago this was happening .

Edited by adler_68
RedKestrel
16 minutes ago, adler_68 said:

Recently i was chasing an A20 over a target and while on his tail at close range suddenly the screen moved in a shudder about 4 times in a row pushing my aim to one side but i persevered and remained locked on and shot him down over Deurne fuel station . I understood immediately that this was deliberate using 2 known keys . Is this trick allowed ? if not are you able to monitor those who do apply this mod ? this is the first time it was done to me and i read here not long ago this was happening .

That just sounds like stuttering, lag, or a combination of both - not all that uncommon. 

If it really is a hack or cheat mod, you should record evidence of the cheat being done and submit it to the devs. Server admins have almost no way to access the information present on a user's system, as far as I know.

15 hours ago, WelshWarrior2 said:

Hi guys,  can anyone point me in the right direction in regards to joining an Axis fighter squadron? A team that plays regular, preferably GMT nights? 

I’m a fairly experienced pilot (670 hours) mainly on the WOL servers. Looking to progress to a more authentic experience. 

Thank you,

WelshWarrior. 

I would check the Virtual Squadrons section of the forum, maybe make a post there. There are a couple of Allied-focused squadrons actively recruiting at the moment I think (332FG and Tangmere Pilots), not sure about axis.

=EXPEND=CG_Justin

@Alonzo

If i was hit by flak and I'm almost returned to base and the server dumps myself and several other players (but not everyone), do I still lose my virtual life?

*EDIT* When the map rolled over, it answered my question, much to my delight. :biggrin: And I'm glad, I would have hated to lose what I had by no fault of my own, or my internet connection (got disco'ed but discord and everything else remained connected). Perhaps a server hiccup?

Edited by =EXPEND=CG_Justin
ACG_Talisman
23 hours ago, Mordrac said:

We are happy to announce Project R! In the past few weeks the team has been working on bringing air racing into IL2. For the start we have prepared four tracks on the Kuban map using towers with colored smoke as gates. The tracks will vary in length and agility, and some have straight segments with flak shooting at you. We plan to host many different performance classes from Ishaks to jets.

Upon launch we will provide a collection of racing skins. Feel free to make your own & add to the collection! Project R will launch during the Sturmovikfest. Kick the tires, light the fires, LET'S GO!

Great news! :)

Great idea :) 

When do you think we might see the first race ready to take place?

Will the races be run on a weekend or weekday?

What time zone timings are planned?

Will the events be run weekly or within some other time frame?

Will there be registration or just turn up on the server at the right time?

Please, please, please use TeamSpeak 3 for this and not Discord if we need coms.

If you would like volunteers to help test the races then please count me in and send a PM.

Good luck with the project and thank you.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, adler_68 said:

MITCHELLS MEN B25's

I have  played this mission at the start for 1 hr , half way for 1 hr and the last 1 hr on different days but no B25 's notification's heading somewhere .  I then approached their air take off point for the last 25 mn of the mission  and again they never departed  or came back from any missions to the 3 take off points . Is this just my  bad luck ? finally are they supposed to go back to their air take off points ?

Do you mean stutters while on his six and dogfighting . 

Kampfpilot_JG3

ACG_KON

Yes stutters in succession moving my gunsight to my right for about 1-2 secs only just when i was about to pull the trigger .This has never happened to me before . Thats why i got suspicious . Unfortunately i never remember to record my fights . 

Alonzo
1 hour ago, adler_68 said:

ACG_KON

Yes stutters in succession moving my gunsight to my right for about 1-2 secs only just when i was about to pull the trigger .This has never happened to me before . Thats why i got suspicious . Unfortunately i never remember to record my fights . 

Some folks have mentioned issues with recording since the new patch. On Combat Box we're removing elements from the maps to try to make them run faster, this might help players, but ultimately you need a pretty good PC to run IL2 at high frame rates. It's a high fidelity simulation, which is great and what we all want to play, but the trade off is it needs good hardware.

12 hours ago, =EXPEND=CG_Justin said:

@Alonzo

Perhaps a server hiccup?

Probably, unfortunately. Sometimes the server will 'hang' -- people who are connected are still flying, but the server won't recognize ground kills, and no new people can join. I have a script that detects this condition and kills the server, so we can get a fresh map. I did try to send messages to players in this case, but unfortunately the server is in a state where it won't accept messages to send to players. So it just silently dumps everyone. I still think this is better than silently not letting anyone join or finish mission.

• Upvote 1
69th_Bazzer

Mitchell's Men has way too many 262's. We shot down 2 on our way out on a strike in the span of about one minute, only to run into 4 more moments later! You can't really wonder why allies never win this map with 6+ 262's whizzing around...

That said, it sure is satisfying when you splash one.

Edited by 69th_Bazzer
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
TWC_Sp00k

Really hope the above is not true of that damn jet or that will be the death of the server for me

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
15 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Great news! :)

Great idea :) 

When do you think we might see the first race ready to take place?

Will the races be run on a weekend or weekday?

What time zone timings are planned?

Will the events be run weekly or within some other time frame?

Will there be registration or just turn up on the server at the right time?

Please, please, please use TeamSpeak 3 for this and not Discord if we need coms.

If you would like volunteers to help test the races then please count me in and send a PM.

Good luck with the project and thank you.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Thanks 😁

Just to clarify: We are not the first to conceive of the idea of air racing in IL-2, however, we would like to promote and host regular air racing events on our second server, and we will be using Sturmovikfest to determine if there is enough support to make it viable.

We are still finalizing how participation in the launch races will be managed. Obviously some form of control will be needed to avoid utter chaos 🙂

Discord is a requirement for taking part in the air races as that is what the admins will be using to communicate & coordinate everyone during the events.

• Like 1
II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson
1 hour ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

Really hope the above is not true of that damn jet or that will be the death of the server for me

Wah wah wah. 

Too many jets on ONE map so I'm going to stop playing the server. 

🙄

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
ACG_Talisman
9 minutes ago, haluter said:

Thanks 😁

Just to clarify: We are not the first to conceive of the idea of air racing in IL-2, however, we would like to promote and host regular air racing events on our second server, and we will be using Sturmovikfest to determine if there is enough support to make it viable.

We are still finalizing how participation in the launch races will be managed. Obviously some form of control will be needed to avoid utter chaos 🙂

Discord is a requirement for taking part in the air races as that is what the admins will be using to communicate & coordinate everyone during the events.

Using Discord counts me out then :( 

Good luck.

56RAF_Talisman

TWC_Sp00k
21 minutes ago, ProfesseurdePhysique said:

Wah wah wah. 

🙄

As we are free to express our opinions in the free world, I welcome the condescending tone of your irrelevant post and hope you post more for our entertainment.

Now getting back to reality, that many jets on Combat box IS a really stupid idea.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Using Discord counts me out then :(

🙁

Why is Discord not an option?

NO.20_Krispy_Duck

I'm looking forward to seeing what Combatbox can do with the Normandy assets once those arrive. I enjoy a number of the existing scenarios, but I also like some of the earlier airplanes.  The 1945 period really has some high-strung prop fighters and the earlier planes start to struggle in many ways against those. I'm looking forward to more mid-war scenarios once the BoN stuff starts coming into play.

RedKestrel
9 minutes ago, Krispy_Duck said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Combatbox can do with the Normandy assets once those arrive. I enjoy a number of the existing scenarios, but I also like some of the earlier airplanes.  The 1945 period really has some high-strung prop fighters and the earlier planes start to struggle in many ways against those. I'm looking forward to more mid-war scenarios once the BoN stuff starts coming into play.

It would be really cool to see a true Normandy invasion scenario. The original Normandy mission here was a bit controversial - some liked it, others hated it - but I think with the proper map it would be a different kettle of fish. We'll see ... I'll just be over the moon for the Razorback P-47, The Typhoon and the Mosquito.

NO.20_Krispy_Duck
12 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

It would be really cool to see a true Normandy invasion scenario. The original Normandy mission here was a bit controversial - some liked it, others hated it - but I think with the proper map it would be a different kettle of fish. We'll see ... I'll just be over the moon for the Razorback P-47, The Typhoon and the Mosquito.

Has the map published yet or just in discussion? I'd love to see coastal/cross-channel type missions. The other thing is that with the right map, some of the other planes in the series would be used to round-out the BoN planes. I could see P-38s, Spit Vb, P-40s available on allied, and then the earlier 109Gs and the earlier 190As on German. Cross-channel scenarios could reach back into 1943 using some of those additional assets. Hopefully the map affords some flexibility for scenario building.

RedKestrel
5 minutes ago, Krispy_Duck said:

Has the map published yet or just in discussion? I'd love to see coastal/cross-channel type missions. The other thing is that with the right map, some of the other planes in the series would be used to round-out the BoN planes. I could see P-38s, Spit Vb, P-40s available on allied, and then the earlier 109Gs and the earlier 190As on German. Cross-channel scenarios could reach back into 1943 using some of those additional assets. Hopefully the map affords some flexibility for scenario building.

This post from Jason has the most recent version of the proposed map extents. Originally it was somewhat different. I don't think we have seen anything new regarding the map for a while.

And yeah, 1943 scenarios, even with a few stand in aircraft, would be really nice.

• Upvote 1
69th_Mobile_BBQ
7 hours ago, 69th_Bazzer said:

Mitchell's Men has way too many 262's. We shot down 2 on our way out on a strike in the span of about one minute, only to run into 4 more moments later! You can't really wonder why allies never win this map with 6+ 262's whizzing around...

That said, it sure is satisfying when you splash one.

There's enough that the B-25 flights are just fodder for target practice if you get 1 or 2 competent pilots flying.  One pilot was able to get 3 flights in a 262 in spite of being shot gown 3 times, getting a total of 17 kills - mostly B-25s.  I literally was at 10,000 feet over Eindhoven, climbing up to the formation, and he was there the moment the bombers arrived at the Eindhoven waypoint, already picking off the formation with impunity.  No Allies even had time to get up to altitude or get into a position where they could at the very least, try to be useful.

At the same time another pilot flew twice in the 262 and got 13 kills, mostly B-25. Granted, he landed the 1st sortie so fair enough that he gets a re-fly.   

Those are only the 2 names I remember from last night.  Others were in 262s as well.  (No need to post the names when all that's needed is to look at the mission log on the stats page.)

But no, it's absolutely, positively, really, really, can't be any other way, really, I mean reeeaaaalllly, totally is NOT a major reason why Allies rarely win the map.  

• Like 1
ACG_Talisman
2 hours ago, haluter said:

🙁

Why is Discord not an option?

Discord is data mining and spyware (see link below).

https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

P.S.  If you look at it, interface for example, you can also see its aimed at being attractive to kids.  Also part of the infantilization culture we see too much of today.

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
RedKestrel
28 minutes ago, CIA_Elanski said:

RedKestrel,

What is the link to send things to devs?

In regards to cheating? I would think a PM to Han or Jason would work. There is also this post:

So maybe a PM to that account might be specific to cheating, it might be more likely to be seen. I'm sure Jason and Han are flooded with messages on any given day.

Alonzo
6 hours ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

Now getting back to reality, that many jets on Combat box IS a really stupid idea.

There are two 262s unlocked once 25 Allies are in game, two more at 50 minutes + 25 more Allies, and two more at 1hr30 + 25 more Allies. If a 262 is flown back to base it can be reused.

If someone really did run into six 262s in short succession, they were pretty unlucky.

Spook, I welcome discussion about the 262 mechanics, but please take a look at your own post sequence in this thread and apply some self reflection. A pilot related a story about running into six 262s in succession, you took that at 100% face value, didn't question the person posting, and then claimed it would be "the death of the server" for you and that many jets is "stupid".

I've lost count of the number of times posters in this thread have inflated their claims about a situation in order to argue their point. I concede that running into six 262s is possible, but I think it's also quite unlikely. I'm not even sure someone could reliably keep track of four 262s at once, without using TacView to confirm after the fact.

Everyone is free to make their own choices. Some people don't like the late war focus. Some people don't like the fact that some maps have 262s. Some people don't want to use Discord. That's ok, those are all personal choices. As a team running a server, the admins also have to make choices, weigh pros and cons, and so on. Telling us you're not going to fly the server unless we do X or don't do Y has about as much impact as telling a game developer you're not going to buy their next game unless they implement feature P and remove Q. It's just not a very constructive place to go to in a discussion, it's pretty much a conversation ending thing to say.

Also, and I gotta say this once in a while, it's not like the Combat Box team, and me in particular, are just throwing random crap at the wall to see what sticks. Yeah, sometimes there's an angle I didn't think of and someone pointing something out is really helpful (and I appreciate that!). But I like to think I have some idea of what I'm doing as a mission designer, and I've been doing this for about 15 months now, and Combat Box is regularly one of the top servers. Just by that metric, I must have some idea what works and what doesn't.

7 hours ago, ProfesseurdePhysique said:

Wah wah wah. 

🙄

While I'm the last person to solicit more angst about the 262, and while I agree that threatening to stop playing the server is fairly silly, the tone of your post is unhelpful. Let's all be nice and constructive with each other where possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6
TWC_Sp00k
3 hours ago, Alonzo said:

There are two 262s unlocked once 25 Allies are in game, two more at 50 minutes + 25 more Allies, and two more at 1hr30 + 25 more Allies. If a 262 is flown back to base it can be reused.

If someone really did run into six 262s in short succession, they were pretty unlucky.

Spook, I welcome discussion about the 262 mechanics, but please take a look at your own post sequence in this thread and apply some self reflection. A pilot related a story about running into six 262s in succession, you took that at 100% face value, didn't question the person posting, and then claimed it would be "the death of the server" for you and that many jets is "stupid".

I've lost count of the number of times posters in this thread have inflated their claims about a situation in order to argue their point. I concede that running into six 262s is possible, but I think it's also quite unlikely. I'm not even sure someone could reliably keep track of four 262s at once, without using TacView to confirm after the fact.

Everyone is free to make their own choices. Some people don't like the late war focus. Some people don't like the fact that some maps have 262s. Some people don't want to use Discord. That's ok, those are all personal choices. As a team running a server, the admins also have to make choices, weigh pros and cons, and so on. Telling us you're not going to fly the server unless we do X or don't do Y has about as much impact as telling a game developer you're not going to buy their next game unless they implement feature P and remove Q. It's just not a very constructive place to go to in a discussion, it's pretty much a conversation ending thing to say.

Also, and I gotta say this once in a while, it's not like the Combat Box team, and me in particular, are just throwing random crap at the wall to see what sticks. Yeah, sometimes there's an angle I didn't think of and someone pointing something out is really helpful (and I appreciate that!). But I like to think I have some idea of what I'm doing as a mission designer, and I've been doing this for about 15 months now, and Combat Box is regularly one of the top servers. Just by that metric, I must have some idea what works and what doesn't.

While I'm the last person to solicit more angst about the 262, and while I agree that threatening to stop playing the server is fairly silly, the tone of your post is unhelpful. Let's all be nice and constructive with each other where possible.

I accept most of your points above Alonzo and I understand there are also a lot of pilots wanting more 262,s and you have a balance to achieve which can be difficult but perhaps the 6 x262 incident is not as isolated as you think.  Last weekend, one of our Squadron pilots claimed similar that he had encountered 4 on one trip, 2 at one end of the trip and 2 on the return.  I only saw one of them hit a bomber and believed he was mistaken.  I believe my words were “No way they would put 4 of them in here” Now if another pilot has come across 6 of them, then I find myself believing otherwise.

The thing is almost untouchable less through pilot mistake or lucky circumstance and I wont lie, I am not a fan of it being online period.  In capable and disciplined hands, I suspect long term surviveability in that aircraft if more than a chance possibility. Perhaps in your deliberations re its frequency, you can consider stretching out that 1-1.5 hour period even longer.  I would suggest a 48 month period in between, but I guess thats not going to gain popular support.

The Squadron loves your server as do I as its our favourite haunt, but I make no secret that I hate that 262 in there and if someone else can advocate it and sing its laurels, then I presume the right to express my displeasure with it.  2? No problem, thats a nice balance. 4+ at any one time is a nightmare.

• Haha 2
Alonzo
1 hour ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

Perhaps in your deliberations re its frequency, you can consider stretching out that 1-1.5 hour period even longer.  I would suggest a 48 month period in between, but I guess thats not going to gain popular support.

😄  Heheh, thanks for your kind words and I appreciate the suggestions. I understand how polarizing the 262 is, we're looking to include it in a way that can work. If it's truly the case that the German side is taking care of their 262s to the point that there are 6 in the sky at once, we'll need to take a look at it.

7 hours ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

There's enough that the B-25 flights are just fodder for target practice if you get 1 or 2 competent pilots flying.  One pilot was able to get 3 flights in a 262 in spite of being shot gown 3 times, getting a total of 17 kills - mostly B-25s.  I literally was at 10,000 feet over Eindhoven, climbing up to the formation, and he was there the moment the bombers arrived at the Eindhoven waypoint, already picking off the formation with impunity.  No Allies even had time to get up to altitude or get into a position where they could at the very least, try to be useful.

At the same time another pilot flew twice in the 262 and got 13 kills, mostly B-25. Granted, he landed the 1st sortie so fair enough that he gets a re-fly.   

Those are only the 2 names I remember from last night.  Others were in 262s as well.  (No need to post the names when all that's needed is to look at the mission log on the stats page.)

But no, it's absolutely, positively, really, really, can't be any other way, really, I mean reeeaaaalllly, totally is NOT a major reason why Allies rarely win the map.  

Mobile, 

I have done a couple of escort missions for those B-25s and usually there has been about 5-7 other escorts (assuming not AI). Therefore, perhaps it just depends on whether reds can be bothered to climb up and escort as it can be very boring. Therefore, noting Jason's comments about over loading servers with AI, I would be interested to hear from Alonzo as to whether they could replace one of the bomber formations with an escort formation so at least there is an AI escort to intercept the blues.

I have also engaged the bombers and watched as some guys will climb to 7-8k (>20,000ft) to have the height advantage. 

Personally for me, the B-25s are fun to either escort or attack, but not on every mission, although looking at some stats, the same guys do the same 262 missions. I actually enjoy the challenge of using the 262 as a bomber and it is just unfortunate that the admins can't restrict it's capability somehow.

Perhaps when the Ar-234 is eventually released it can replace the 262 as the jet bomber on most of the CB maps, to give that balance and more importantly keep players interested.

Regards

Edited by Haza
22 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

😄  Heheh, thanks for your kind words and I appreciate the suggestions. I understand how polarizing the 262 is, we're looking to include it in a way that can work. If it's truly the case that the German side is taking care of their 262s to the point that there are 6 in the sky at once, we'll need to take a look at it.

I gotta ask, why is the 262 included?  Is it for balance or flavor?

Personally, after flying blue last month, I found the k4 to be the best fighter on the server.  Considering its numbers are almost unlimited when it is available, I don't see how the axis would need any help from jets balance wise.

RedKestrel
19 minutes ago, thatguy said:

Personally, after flying blue last month, I found the k4 to be the best fighter on the server.  Considering its numbers are almost unlimited when it is available, I don't see how the axis would need any help from jets balance wise.

It’s there historically and is an interesting addition. I like running into them occasionally. As far as combat box goes I’ve never been killed by one as I’ve always seen it coming on time. But I’ve only ever shot them down on Berloga. The K4s on the other hand murder me on a regular basis

VBF-12_Snake9

The problem is you get k4s and 262s together and on com's.  Makes it stupid easy for that side.  Is what it is.  

Alonzo
2 hours ago, Haza said:

I have done a couple of escort missions for those B-25s and usually there has been about 5-7 other escorts (assuming not AI). Therefore, perhaps it just depends on whether reds can be bothered to climb up and escort as it can be very boring. Therefore, noting Jason's comments about over loading servers with AI, I would be interested to hear from Alonzo as to whether they could replace one of the bomber formations with an escort formation so at least there is an AI escort to intercept the blues.

From a purely technical perspective, fighters are less intensive than bombers, so replacing 4 x B-25s with 4 x P-51s (or whatever) would probably reduce server load. But I don't think most people would want the tradeoff of halving the number of bombers. When we did our first test runs we had 3 x 4-bomber flights, it was pretty awesome. Sadly we had to cut that down to accomodate 84-count player loads.

1 hour ago, thatguy said:

Mostly because it's part of the BoBP plane set, and it would be a shame for it to never feature on a multiplayer server. So we try to get it into the mix, even though it's in a class of its own. We're up to page 61 in this thread, there's probably 20 pages of arguments for and against its inclusion. The 262 unlocks are currently (on Mitchell's Men at least) based on time and number of players flying, not on whether those 262s got destroyed or not. It might be possible to use a complex detection zone covering the whole map to detect 262s that have been destroyed, and unlock based on that, but we've run into significant performance problems with complex triggers in the past.

On 4/21/2020 at 1:39 AM, adler_68 said:

ACG_KON

just play some more and drop your settings down a touch , i get stutters in dogfights with three or more players around me . 

Do you have stutters at the airfields with players taking off or taxing . 

Smoke used to be a big FPS killer in this game . 

Just monitor things .

I know what key your talking about but i dont think that effects this game . 

But i could be wrong . There is lag to consider . 

17 hours ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

Any good hits from a 109 and 190 will bring you plane down . Not just the 262 nothing to fear . 

Allies tonight lost all its planes in the northern airfield and there was no 262 flying about on that map . 

Edited by ACG_KoN
BR-SQN-Xipan-BR-X
1 hour ago, VBF-12_Snake9 said:

O problema é que você coloca k4s e 262s juntos e no com. Torna estúpido fácil para esse lado. É o que é isso.  

For me the problem is being an impartial administration. The Germans are used to flying with better technology and having several advantages over their opponents since the launch of the first version of the simulator and now that the allied planes are equated to the Axis planes they are clearly trying to be advantageous in server administration. A good example of this is the distortion of the historical factor. We can see that on most maps there are more D-9 and 4-k than Tempest, Ridiculous! I prefer to fly with obsolete Russian airplanes in 1941 and 1942 than to be angry with favoring German pilots

VBF-12_KW

I'm of the opinion that the 262s really add to the historical flavor of Mitchell’s Men.  They are a challenge to fight, but it’s very satisfying when you nail one.  I had an awesome stretch last month where I bagged one 3 nights in a row.  I really enjoy this map, but it sure would be nice if the Allies had some chance of winning.

By February of 1945 the 262 had become a big part of the remaining Luftwaffe air defense effort.  The remaining prop interceptors were largely Bf109Gs and FW190As of JG300 and JG301.  This force could typically put about 100 or so prop fighters in the air along with 20-40 jets.  Opposing them was a force of 1000 or so heavy bombers and 800 or so escort fighters.

This is of course totally impossible to approximate in IL2 where we are lucky to have a red force of 5 or so to escort 8 B25s.  The fact that 5-10 or more blues equipped with a mix of K4s, D9s and 262s, can wipe out that force every time isn’t too surprising.  And since team numbers are usually fairly balanced there will often be times that you have more interceptors than escorts - especially since the bombers are constantly getting closer to blue bases and farther from red bases.

We can’t add more bombers and we’re stuck with more vulnerable B-25s due to game limitations.  

Can we try to encourage more reds to fly escort?  As it is, the red force needs to defend the bombers, defend their ground objectives, and still attack blue objectives since the bombers can only damage an objective.  Some possibilities I can think of here would be to add some additional messaging to give reds bomber locations and updates on when the next raid will kick off.  Perhaps think about airspawns?  I logged on last night with 30 minutes left on the map and the last bomber formation crossing the front - I never even caught up to them by the time the formation was wiped out.  Making it easier for the escorts to actually be there would likely increase their numbers.

Can we make it harder for the blues to wipe out the bombers?  Is it possible to crank the bomber gunners up any higher?  Restricting aircraft and weapons generally isn’t very popular, but could make a big difference here.  One thought I had relative to the 262 would be a fuel load restriction - cap it to where you can get to the bombers, make a couple passes and then you need to RTB to refuel.  Another thought would be to move the bomber targets away from the main battle area and then only restrict interceptor spawns near the bomber targets.  You could also reduce the info given to the blue force on the bomber locations etc, although this would reduce combat which I think defeats the whole purpose.  No one wants to escort a milk run and grade the AI bombardiers accuracy.

Maybe the solution is just tweaking the scoring some more to influence player priorities.  AI escorts are an idea, but if it reduces the number of bombers that might hurt more then it helps.

Edited by KW_1979
26 minutes ago, KW_1979 said:

I'm of the opinion that the 262s really add to the historical flavor of Mitchell’s Men.  They are a challenge to fight, but it’s very satisfying when you nail one.  I had an awesome stretch last month where I bagged one 3 nights in a row.  I really enjoy this map, but it sure would be nice if the Allies had some chance of winning.

By February of 1945 the 262 had become a big part of the remaining Luftwaffe air defense effort.  The remaining prop interceptors were largely Bf109Gs and FW190As of JG300 and JG301.  This force could typically put about 100 or so prop fighters in the air along with 20-40 jets.  Opposing them was a force of 1000 or so heavy bombers and 800 or so escort fighters.

This is of course totally impossible to approximate in IL2 where we are lucky to have a red force of 5 or so to escort 8 B25s.  The fact that 5-10 or more blues equipped with a mix of K4s, D9s and 262s, can wipe out that force every time isn’t too surprising.  And since team numbers are usually fairly balanced there will often be times that you have more interceptors than escorts - especially since the bombers are constantly getting closer to blue bases and farther from red bases.

We can’t add more bombers and we’re stuck with more vulnerable B-25s due to game limitations.  

Can we try to encourage more reds to fly escort?  As it is, the red force needs to defend the bombers, defend their ground objectives, and still attack blue objectives since the bombers can only damage an objective.  Some possibilities I can think of here would be to add some additional messaging to give reds bomber locations and updates on when the next raid will kick off.  Perhaps think about airspawns?  I logged on last night with 30 minutes left on the map and the last bomber formation crossing the front - I never even caught up to them by the time the formation was wiped out.  Making it easier for the escorts to actually be there would likely increase their numbers.

Can we make it harder for the blues to wipe out the bombers?  Is it possible to crank the bomber gunners up any higher?  Restricting aircraft and weapons generally isn’t very popular, but could make a big difference here.  One thought I had relative to the 262 would be a fuel load restriction - cap it to where you can get to the bombers, make a couple passes and then you need to RTB to refuel.  Another thought would be to move the bomber targets away from the main battle area and then only restrict interceptor spawns near the bomber targets.  You could also reduce the info given to the blue force on the bomber locations etc, although this would reduce combat which I think defeats the whole purpose.  No one wants to escort a milk run and grade the AI bombardiers accuracy.

Maybe the solution is just tweaking the scoring some more to influence player priorities.  AI escorts are an idea, but if it reduces the number of bombers that might hurt more then it helps.

As said already the Axis team flys as a team.

Allies don't simple .

Your get maybe five players helping out the rest will go looking for that blue max . 

9 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

In regards to cheating? I would think a PM to Han or Jason would work. There is also this post:

So maybe a PM to that account might be specific to cheating, it might be more likely to be seen. I'm sure Jason and Han are flooded with messages on any given day.

Whats this about .   

Edited by ACG_KoN
  • Upvote 1
Kampfpilot_JG3

disco

I had an internet disconnect yesterday evening while on a mission and i see it has been added to my log . Is there any points penalty for this ?

Mostly because it's part of the BoBP plane set, and it would be a shame for it to never feature on a multiplayer server. So we try to get it into the mix, even though it's in a class of its own. We're up to page 61 in this thread, there's probably 20 pages of arguments for and against its inclusion. The 262 unlocks are currently (on Mitchell's Men at least) based on time and number of players flying, not on whether those 262s got destroyed or not. It might be possible to use a complex detection zone covering the whole map to detect 262s that have been destroyed, and unlock based on that, but we've run into significant performance problems with complex triggers in the past.

Fair enough.  I'd just say give allied more of the better stuff to compensate.  There's maps with no 150 octane fuel vs jets, which hardly feels fair.  Gotta be a tradeoff somewhere.

Speaking of complex triggers, I just decided to get into mission editor and holy ballsack CB's missions are complex.  Hats off to you and your team, that has got to have been some serious work

II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson

@Alonzo

Sorry for being a douche in my last post. I just thought it was ridiculous that someone would stop player your server and supporting your admin team just because there are a couple extra jets on one of the maps. I'm irritated by the no vulching or killing within 30 seconds of takeoff rule, but I still love CB and am still wanting to become a donor. 

As far as escorting bombers on Mitchell's Men, is there a way to add a multiplier to the points awarded for an aerial kill within a certain radius of a B25s location? Kill an enemy anywhere else, get regular points. Kill an enemy within a 1000m radius of a B25, get 5x the points. Something like that.

• Thanks 1
69th_Bazzer

I agree with a lot of KW's suggestions above re Mitchell's Men. I think the most meaningful changes would be rearward airspawns for allies, as well as a longer alert lead time for allies to get in position to cover. 

Perhaps also make it so the B-25's destroy a target if they get through - even just one of the three objectives they hit. AI Ju-52's can win an objective on Crossing the Rhine even if axis players do nothing.

AI fighters will not help, they will only pull more axis up there for easy kills (like the beginning of Y-29).

I really did see that many 262's, but I only brought it up in case this was a change. I get how it happened, and I like killing them as much as anyone, but will always think even one of them is too many in this tactical environment (that they had no part of historically), combined with a no-vulching rule.

Lastly, what's with taking the Tempests out of Bridge Too Far? It's a British op for crying out loud! As though we're winning too much here...

Edited by 69th_Bazzer

There is nothing wrong with the current state . 

I feel that some here want an air quake server . 

Do you think the admins want to constantly adjust missions to suit lazy flying . 

All i can say is get on Comms or in chat and make a plan . !!! 🥵

A famous quote ``where are the escorts . ``

Edited by ACG_KoN
  • SYN_Haashashin pinned this topic