Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

destruction credits

I destroyed an allied hangar today on an official airfield and got no credits yet 2 days ago i destroyed a lot of targets on an official allied airfield and got all the credits . Targets are both the designated ones and official enemy airfields , right ?      

10 hours ago, Alonzo said:

That player is now taking a one month vacation from Combat Box. I'd have put it down to "they're new" but this is the sortie log: http://combatbox.net/en/sortie/log/293434/?tour=17

Takes off, revs engine hard enough to damage it, shoots you down, takes a dirt nap, dies.

Sorry this happened to you.

Thank you for taking care of this so others don't have to deal with that kind of stuff :)

Keep up the good work :)

10 hours ago, dog1 said:

destruction credits

I destroyed an allied hangar today on an official airfield and got no credits yet 2 days ago i destroyed a lot of targets on an official allied airfield and got all the credits . Targets are both the designated ones and official enemy airfields , right ?      

What mission? It may depend on if the official airfield is also a designated target as in Y-29

I don't understand why there's so few P-38's, yet so many Tempests. There was a couple maps in a row where the P-38 wasn't available.

There's no reason the P-38 shouldn't be in every map and the Tempest should be fewer in numbers. I have a few friends who avoid this server because they're always running into 3-4 Tempests at a time, only 1 Tempest is a nightmare to deal with.

And why is 150 grade fuel only available when the Germans have K-4's and 262's?

150 fuel was used in every aircraft by July 1944, God forbid the Germans have a slight historical disadvantage.

13 hours ago, dog1 said:

destruction credits

If by "official" you mean an airfield at which players can spawn, then no - these are not valid targets. I cannot say whether or not you will get credit for them in stats, but it is not advisable to try this. If you happen to hit a player aircraft that is parked (not taxiing, taking off, or landing), you are violating server rules. Aside from that, it is very bad for your health since you are likely deep behind enemy lines, your location is being reported to the enemy from server messages, the map is lighting up showing that you are near an enemy airfield, and the flak at player airfields is better (not 100% sure on that last part).

1 hour ago, Y-29.Silky said:

I don't understand why there's so few P-38's, yet so many Tempests. There was a couple maps in a row where the P-38 wasn't available.

There's no reason the P-38 shouldn't be in every map and the Tempest should be fewer in numbers. I have a few friends who avoid this server because they're always running into 3-4 Tempests at a time, only 1 Tempest is a nightmare to deal with.

Unless there's a bug in the control script, there shouldn't be two maps in a row with no P-38. It's absent on Battle of the Scheldt and A Bridge Too Far but those don't run after each other. Is there another map without the P-38? We've toned down Tempest availability on most maps, is there a specific map where it's a problem?

150 fuel was used in every aircraft by July 1944, God forbid the Germans have a slight historical disadvantage.

As I understand it, 150 octane was used by every aircraft operating from England much sooner than from operations on the continent. Anyhow, we've thrashed this out previously -- the idea is to have roughly balanced matchups with a nod to history, where not every map has the same aircraft, fuel, weapons and mods available. Is there a particular map and aircraft combination that you feel is unfair and should be reworked?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Y-29.Silky said:

Again an other one who want easier opponents as possible and all time.

262 an K4 are only aviable on few maps when all top red  fighters are aviable on all maps and the jet has just speed and can't turn. 2 reasons why it is so few used and perform so few victims. That's why also in stats, you'll can't see any top german pilot with the jet like favorite plane.

The problem for few red guys is the most part of time they can't catch him by speed like usualy against the other german planes. They are frustrated...

Without 150 octane for reds, the K4 is already not an uber plane and the equity in FM is nearest of enough good. But when the best german plane is the G14 against the same top red fighters (without 150 oct), the german side starts the mission clearly with an handicap (and G6 or 190As are just worst choices but best ways for quickly bail out or die).

The most dangerous plane aviable in all maps on this server is obviously the Tempy in hands of ordinary pilot. All experimented blue fighters will say it, even if some top red pilots can prefer  the 51.

Edited by Otto_bann
  • Upvote 2

The maps that might need a looking at are, in my opinion, the ones where you have 262's and K4's on the German side but no planes on the Allied side working at full performance. The Battle of Kalinin comes to mind but that is an older map that might not have been updated fully. The last new map that was put up, I forget the name but it centers around the fighting over Antwerp mostly and has the V1 launch sites, has a very similar set up as I understand.

150 grade fuel was in use in Europe early on by planes based in the UK at first, that much is true. But in May of '44 it was ordered that all 51's 47's and 38's in the 8th Air Force be modified to use 150 fuel and the fuel was flowing to the front line units within a week of the Normandy landings. At least that is what this paper says http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/150grade/150-grade-fuel.html and it looks like they've done their research.

Before Bann decides that I'm just trying to get an easy fight for 'my side' I'm going to have to ask what makes him such an expert in Allied planes? He never plays the Allied side as far as I can tell. Maybe he should try them out for a bit and then have an opinion. After all it seemed to him that I needed to play Blue for a bit before I could be allowed an opinion. So, come on Bann, step out of your K4 and come play in the mud with the rest of us. You might learn something. Or are you just looking to get an easy fight for your side?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, /SF/Disarray said:

...Before Bann decides that I'm just trying to get an easy fight for 'my side' I'm going to have to ask what makes him such an expert in Allied planes? He never plays the Allied side as far as I can tell...

It's a bad affirmation.

Except the 38 (I don't like multi-engines), I tried the red fighters (51 and maybe Tempy on CBox) and it's why iI know what I talking about, what I have to do against them and I invit you to do the same thing.

At 1 vs 1, 51 should not lose his fight against a 110. However it's happened to you few days ago, I was there 1000m uper (shooted down by Mordrac /  Battle_over_Eindhoven_Mar_1945 ). You shooted him at first for finaly to be downed by this good pilot few time after (not by the gunner). In chat you said the same pretext, it was because fly models are wrong : yes or no...? . Your words ''may be one day fly models...'', you remember?

So for you (or rather with you inside) even the 110 is a best plane against a P-51...

I would have thought, with all your experience with German planes, you'd have known that the FM of the 110 is as bogus as a $3 bill. But that is aside from the point. I'm uninterested in your opinion until you satisfy your own flimsy standard, Bann.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, /SF/Disarray said:

I would have thought, with all your experience with German planes, you'd have known that the FM of the 110 is as bogus as a $3 bill. But that is aside from the point. I'm uninterested in your opinion until you satisfy your own flimsy standard, Bann.

It's not that bogus, it's got big wings and a lot of power, it's going to catch some people out who suddenly get tempted to try their luck in a turnfight. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

I think we all know there's enough going on in a typical engagement that individual outcomes are anecdotes, not data. Heck, if you look at my individual sorties I'm both the best pilot on the server and the worst simultaneously. 😉 

• Haha 1

Just now, Alonzo said:

I think we all know there's enough going on in a typical engagement that individual outcomes are anecdotes, not data. Heck, if you look at my individual sorties I'm both the best pilot on the server and the worst simultaneously. 😉 

Schrodinger's Cat could be your wingmeown!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, /SF/Disarray said:

... I'm uninterested in your opinion until you satisfy your own flimsy standard, Bann.

If you don't interested by my opinion, don't arg wrong affirmations about me and about what I say .

You have loose this fight against this 110 because you made mistakes, not one but several, that's all. But it's so most confortable to blame the opponent planes rather say ''it's my bad''... The 110 maybe has a bugged FM, but never at level to outperform a 51! Bad pretexts will never made a good pilot.

53 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

... it's got big wings and a lot of power, it's going to catch some people out who suddenly get tempted to try their luck in a turnfight. 

+1 : it was one of his major mistakes (and more, at low speed...).

49 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

I

Alonzo, have you read my PM sent 2 days ago?

Edited by Otto_bann

Well, right now the axis have decided to try.  They are 28 wins vs Allied 16 wins.  There is obviously an imbalance.  So when do we get the 4 X 1000 bombs back for the P38?  immediately? why not?  I posted once before.  When the axis try, they can.  Yet you all took the 4x1000 away from Allied.  Well?  Let see some balance.  How bad do we have to lose this month or next month?  Are you still going to continue to put the target further from our bases?  Are you going to continue to put the targets way deeper for the allied?  Columns move deeper into enemy territory for Allied to hit...axis has to just wait and our column march deep into their own territory.....Balance.  I just love it....  ------> will sit back and watch nothing happen

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

What mission? It may depend on if the official airfield is also a designated target as in Y-29

REDKESTREL

sorry i did not take down the 2 missions names  , i will next time .

How do you know if the enemy airbase " with roundel " is a mission target or not ? i think this is were my confusion lies . 

Edited by dog1

2 hours ago, CIA_Elanski said:

Well, right now the axis have decided to try.  They are 28 wins vs Allied 16 wins.  There is obviously an imbalance.  So when do we get the 4 X 1000 bombs back for the P38?  immediately? why not?  I posted once before.  When the axis try, they can.  Yet you all took the 4x1000 away from Allied.  Well?  Let see some balance.  How bad do we have to lose this month or next month?  Are you still going to continue to put the target further from our bases?  Are you going to continue to put the targets way deeper for the allied?  Columns move deeper into enemy territory for Allied to hit...axis has to just wait and our column march deep into their own territory.....Balance.  I just love it....  ------> will sit back and watch nothing happen

Take it from one who knows:  This kind of talk will get you either smacked or ignored for "campaigning for Red favors." 

1 hour ago, dog1 said:

REDKESTREL

sorry i did not take down the 2 missions names  , i will next time .

How do you know if the enemy airbase " with roundel " is a mission target or not ? i think this is were my confusion lies . 

If the background of the map marker is solid, like the one you clicked on to spawn your plane but with the other side's national emblem on it, it is a spawn point. If, however, the background is kind of translucent, like the markers on or close to the front lines, it is a target meant for destruction.

Posted (edited)

Targets

As i mentioned earlier i got credits for bombing a solid roundel allied airbase marker 2 days ago and the next day nothing . different mission same map .These are high level bombing runs up to 20mn from long distances hitting bases by the sea . I cannot remember if it also in addition had a translucent ring over it . I will take not of this from now on .  

Kills

This morning i killed a P47 D over Venlo fuel depot with my FW190 A8 he went down in flames and i get a notice killed friendly , i  checked his name and he was on the allied side , i get back to base at krefeld , i get zero points  ???!!! whats going on !!??

Edited by dog1

1 hour ago, dog1 said:

This morning i killed a P47 D over Venlo fuel depot with my FW190 A8 he went down in flames and i get a notice killed friendly , i  checked his name and he was on the allied side , i get back to base at krefeld , i get zero points  ???!!! whats going on !!??

If you could post the sortie from the stats page, it'd be easier to help you with that

so i post a copy of the statistics page only ?

Posted (edited)

@dog1 please see the post from alonzo to a similar question of yours about stats page data and in game data. If you really want to know what has been awarded, you find it on the stats webpage linked below.

go to the search bar, search your in game pilots name, check the sorties list and click on sortie log. There you see what happened. For ease of understanding for others to help you, you can post the link to the exact sortie, so we dont have to search for it.

On 12/31/2019 at 5:25 PM, Alonzo said:

I'm not sure if you're talking about the in-game numbers, or the ones from the stats web site. Either way, I'm unable to change or fix those numbers. Generally the Combat Box website will tell you in more detail who hit which target, and where it awarded the kill. Yesterday both I and another pilot clipped a bandit, maybe landed one cannon shell each. The target then maneuver-killed themselves by flying into the ground. I was awarded the kill even though both of us hit the bandit. It's just one of those things, sometimes the stats don't go your way.

If a kill is completely lost then maybe there is a bug, but in the majority of cases it turned out to be pilot error or confusion, rather than a bug in the stats.

Edited by IV./JG51-H_Stiglitz

Posted (edited)

you mean after i exit  the mission go immediately to the web page and that would be the mission i was currently  in for the link ?

Edited by dog1

Posted (edited)

@dog1 no need to exit immediately. All sorties that you fly during one mission will then be listed there. You can check your past sorties anytime after the map timer has run out.

if you let me know your in game name, i can show you your sorties list.

Edited by IV./JG51-H_Stiglitz

I dont think many realize what those 110 G2 have to do to win against a 51, spit,temp. 

(which are now more than a joke if they overshoot my 110 and miss with all those guns on first pass i giggle and if they make the 2nd mistake of turning back into the fighter at low speed, low alt after such an overshoot, i get ready for the kill most time. 
The p38 is not much of a match for 110 G2 also if it overshoots and turns back into a slow turning fight. ) 

Every turn to defeat a 51, spit or temp results in 110 Blacking out or Redding out from over G.
- Always taking Min fuel needed for mission + 5 mins combat time (no room for fuel for leaks)
- Need of almost every move in the book while the Allie fighters can just fly away and reset climb and attack again from advantage. 
- Pushing power limits to 100% and closing all cooling and 7/10 battles end up with engine damage from abuse to perform on such a level.
- Lots of use of flaps and full rudder and often aileron need to get nose around.

• Upvote 2

Hi Alonzo,

I'm really enjoying COMBOX, some great mission writing, respect.

I do notice stutters that I don't get in my offline practice though, I'm no expert but perhaps it's that there are a lot of clouds, there are a lot of objects at airfields and also, when more than about 30 people are online it's more noticeable.

Just some feedback, thanks again <S>

Witch

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Black-Witch said:

... I do notice stutters that I don't get in my offline practice though, I'm no expert but perhaps it's that there are a lot of clouds...

I noticed this too for lags / micro freezes when it's cloudy.

When lot of clouds are in the missions, I reduce the fps target at 60 in basics settings game and it help a little bit.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Black-Witch said:

Hi Alonzo,

I'm really enjoying COMBOX, some great mission writing, respect.

I do notice stutters that I don't get in my offline practice though, I'm no expert but perhaps it's that there are a lot of clouds, there are a lot of objects at airfields and also, when more than about 30 people are online it's more noticeable.

Just some feedback, thanks again <S>

Witch

Multiplayer stutters are their own kettle of fish, almost certainly unrelated to single player game performance. There is an entire thread about it over in Technical Problems forum, with some solutions proposed, though nothing seems to completely solve the issue for some players. What has helped me most is 4K Textures OFF, full Screen ON, Preset Balanced, Vsync ON and FPS target to 60. I have also heard that turning off Custom Skins in the game options can help a bit, though I haven't had time to try it. Last night was my first flight online in nearly 2 months.

Some get them, others don't, regardless of your PC Specs. Lowering graphic settings helps but does not always eliminate them. Basically, there appear to be periodic 'spikes' in performance demands when flying online that are not of the same magnitude when flying offline, and if you lower your graphics enough you can make it so that those spikes rarely get high enough to cause a stutter.

I get them pretty frequently but I have managed to significantly reduce them. Clouds do not seem to be the problem, it is at its worst over active ground targets with lots of players flying around. It is worse on high-population servers. It is worse on the Rheinland map, which may be why you are getting it on CombatBox, as it uses that map almost exclusively. Last night when I was flying I had a few big ones, including some sound bugs accompanying them. I have switched my clouds back to High and noticed no problems in comparison to Medium, but brought my preset to Balanced, which may help because it is essentially a reduced rendering bubble for trees and buildings etc.

Mission design may be a part of it but with people with roughly the same setup, specs, and ping, one may get them and one may not on the same mission.

I personally believe it is somehow linked to the new distant contact rendering introduced months ago, as that is when it started. But why it affects some and not others, I don't know.

Edited by RedKestrel

15 hours ago, CIA_Elanski said:

The P-38 can carry two 1000s or 6 500s on the maps where it appears - that exceeds what a 110 can carry on any map where it appears. I am truly surprised to hear you say that you believe CB is unbalanced.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, CIA_Elanski said:

Have to agree, at least at the times I fly,  Axis is back to having far superior numbers, and a clear advantage from the map designs. Designing maps to achieve an equal number of blue and red wins is one kind of 'balance,' but as soon as blue has equal or better numbers and equal effort on ground attack, they have an obvious advantage on nearly all maps.

I don't have enough experience on the Scheldt map to know, but every other Boddenplatte map is skewed so blue targets are closer to the front lines than red ones, easier to turn, and plane sets/available mods deviate from the historical basis to disfavor red and favor blue.

Give the P-38 the 4x1000 and maybe even the 2x2000 loadouts. Give us 150 octane, +11 Tempy, and +25 spit on all 1945 maps. Maybe even some maps where it actually plays like the Allies were ever on the front foot for some part of this war...

If something isn't changed, even the 'balance' of equal wins on this server is gone.

35 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

The P-38 can carry two 1000s or 6 500s on the maps where it appears - that exceeds what a 110 can carry on any map where it appears. I am truly surprised to hear you say that you believe CB is unbalanced.

Red herring - P-38 has a better bomb load, but the 110 has a rear gun and turns better. Every plane has some relative advantages. I feel like we're in crazy town arguing about balance here. Literally just look at the layout of targets in the maps! On what map do Germans have to fly past Allied bases to hit their targets?

Edited by 69th_Bazzer
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

Plus the P-47 can carry 2 1000s, 1 500 and 6 rockets and 3400 rounds of .50 cal. Even the P-51 can carry 2 1000lb bombs and once you drop them you have one of the highest performing fighters available. Allies have no shortage of capable fighter-bombers. 

13 minutes ago, 69th_Bazzer said:

Have to agree, at least at the times I fly,  Axis is back to having far superior numbers, and a clear advantage from the map designs. Designing maps to achieve an equal number of blue and red wins is one kind of 'balance,' but as soon as blue has equal or better numbers and equal effort on ground attack, they have an obvious advantage on nearly all maps.

Flight hours are almost exactly the same this month, which indicates that while there may be times where one side has the numbers advantage, there are other times where the other has roughly equal the advantage. On a 24 hour server in a game with an international player base, that`s about as good as it gets.

Allied side clearly just needs me to fly more. Ain`t nobody can soak up Axis bullets like RedKestrel!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Ain`t nobody can soak up Axis bullets like RedKestrel!

i will have to meet you then 😀

12 minutes ago, IV./JG51-H_Stiglitz said:

i will have to meet you then 😀

Usually there`s a queue. Please take a number.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, CIA_Elanski said:

Balancing planeset/loadout is never ending proces!

At first there were way more allies on server than Axis, server admins had to attract other side somehow, now there is a lot of axis and winning, maybe time to unleash allied loadout/mods!

Or novelty for allied planes just wore off!

It is how it is, it will go back and forth...as it always did, on every server! 

But i agree that objective distances should be balanced always, even there is no greater challenge and fun going with a bomber and sneaking through enemy teritory, dropping bombs and get away alive.

2 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

But i agree that objective distances should be balanced always, even there is no greater challenge and fun going with a bomber and sneaking through enemy territory, dropping bombs and get away alive.

Which is all well and good, but the only bomber Allies have on every map is the A-20.  Sometimes the 38 shows up - mostly with 2 1000's, rarely with 4.  Sometimes the 38 is not there at all.

Meanwhile, Axis has 110s, 111s, 87s, and 88s, plus jabos that aren't useless after the ground attack portion of the flight.  (Maybe if the P-47 didn't have osteoporosis, I'd amend that last part).  

Sadly though, working with elements of an incomplete history to try to create a complete balance is starting to show the cracks. It might not really be possible either.  

5 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Which is all well and good, but the only bomber Allies have on every map is the A-20.  Sometimes the 38 shows up - mostly with 2 1000's, rarely with 4.  Sometimes the 38 is not there at all.

Meanwhile, Axis has 110s, 111s, 87s, and 88s, plus jabos that aren't useless after the ground attack portion of the flight.  (Maybe if the P-47 didn't have osteoporosis, I'd amend that last part).  

Sadly though, working with elements of an incomplete history to try to create a complete balance is starting to show the cracks. It might not really be possible either.  

P-51D can carry 2 1000 lb bombs. That's nearly as good as the Jug, and you're a hell of a lot better fighter after the fact. I see a lot of Mustangs taking off with bombs or rockets. 

As far as Ju-87s, LOL. I don't think I've ever seen anyone flying it on Combat Box. Not to say it doesn't happen, but its damn near suicidal. 111s and 88s are pretty rare birds too. Maybe rarer than A-20s though I don't know for sure. 

Anyway, even with all this talk of balance (yet again) the win/loss ratio in favour of the axis is like 3:2 which is...not really that bad? Like, if someone was winning 3 to 2 in a soccer match would we call that a blowout? Especially when we haven't even gotten into the second half.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Anyway, even with all this talk of balance (yet again) the win/loss ratio in favour of the axis is like 3:2 which is...not really that bad? Like, if someone was winning 3 to 2 in a soccer match would we call that a blowout? Especially when we haven't even gotten into the second half.

Soccer (football) matches can get up to 3-2?  Before the second half even?!

This sounds like fantasy to me.

😂

• Haha 1

Ratio without context of scale is a poor argument.    A score of 3 : 2 is much less of a blowout than a score of 300 : 200.  

However, looking at the current W/L on the CB stats main page, I do agree that the ratio as of today, is not catastrophic or unrecoverable for Red at this point.   

21 hours ago, CIA_Elanski said:

On the test server right now there's a new version of A Bridge Too Far that moves one German target significantly closer to the Allies and maintains similar difficulty for that target, and moves another German target significantly closer and makes it much easier to kill. There are also airfield changes afoot for that map. The change is more about flight times and distances but it does make things slightly easier for Red.

1012376346_Image6.thumb.png.7beef4711ac1a94fceff129c15237f32.png

Last 14 days, missions with more than 80 players, Red / Blue / Draw is 25 / 23 / 19. Seems alright to me.

The bottom line is that either side can win any map, it just depends how they're flying. I watched a very uncoordinated Crossing the Rhine the other night with lots of attacking and lots of action, but no actual objective destruction until ~5 minutes before map finish. That's just how it goes sometimes.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4