Han

Developer Diary 218 - Discussion

25 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:

When detail is improved, when the amount of objects is increased, etc. there will always be a performance penalty, unless some programmer manages to squeeze a little extra bit of performance juice. It's always like that. That's why we keep upgrading our computers or buying new ones. On the other hand, SWOTL now runs better than ever on my current machine! ;)

Right unfortunately there hasn't been any increase in cpu performance in like the last decade, we keep adding cores but have topped out on ipc and single core speeds which is what matters in these sims. So until there's some new miraculous cpu that gives us gains like we see on the gpu front we are SOL. You can throw new gpu after new gpu at the game till you're broke but it does nothing when we are cpu limited.

Edited by JonRedcorn

2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Could sombody with the knowledge please name the landmark and city that are in the BOBP map screen shots. Thanks 

Lots of replies in this topic already that discuss that.

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

In several ways the B-25D is an odd choice.

It's not an odd choice at all - the C/D was still being used extensively by the RAF at this time, over the very geographical region Bodenplatte will represent. The devs know what they are doing when they select the aircraft they choose to model.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Lots of replies in this topic already that discuss that.

It's not an odd choice at all - the C/D was still being used extensively by the RAF at this time, over the very geographical region Bodenplatte will represent. The devs know what they are doing when they select the aircraft they choose to model.

That's true ,as i acknowledge in my post AND of course the Russian Air Force was using all sorts of B-25's so we might see them in missions over the Russian Front as well?

b25-1945.jpg

The U.S. supplied 862 B-25s (B, D, G, and J types) to the Soviet Union under Lend-Lease during World War II ...  It saw action in fights from Stalingrad (with B/D models) to the German surrender during May 1945 (with G/J types).

18 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Could sombody with the knowledge please name the landmark and city that are in the BOBP map screen shots. Thanks 

#1 Royal Palace in Brussels

#2 Memorial Interallié and the Church of the Sacred Heart and Our Lady of Lourdes in Liège 

#3 Cologne Cathedral in Cologne

#4 The Arc de Triomphe of the Cinquantenaire Park in Brussels

#5 ?

#6 Cathedral of St. Michael and St. Gudula in Brussels

Edited by Uufflakke

Edit: While having a closer look at the Cologne Cathedral I was wondering if we have this ship in game already.

Doesn't look familiar to me.

Cologne Ship.jpg

Okay, I'll call out the elephant in the room:

On what metric will 1C decide on whether to give the B-25 a cockpit? :)

Can the process be sped up? :) :)

Shared Cockpit anybody? :) :) :)

29 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

Edit: While having a closer look at the Cologne Cathedral I was wondering if we have this ship in game already.

Cologne Ship.jpg

Unless it's a gag, this would be a fairly typical Rhine passenger cruiser..

2 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

#1 Royal Palace in Brussels

#2 Memorial Interallié and the Church of the Sacred Heart and Our Lady of Lourdes in Liège 

#3 Cologne Cathedral in Cologne

#4 The Arc de Triomphe of the Cinquantenaire Park in Brussels

#5 ?

#6 Cathedral of St. Michael and St. Gudula in Brussels

5 might be the cathedral of St Paul de Liege, but I have my doubts

2 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

Cologne Ship.jpg

it's one of the ships we already have in the game.

Some great progress made, any news on wether the tanks will be ok in VR anyone try that yet? 

• Upvote 1

A very informative entry to the Dev Diary!
Everything shown looks superb, but the real star of the show is the now revealed B-25D-20/-25/-30/ or -35 (in case anyone was wondering). Despite being AI only for now, it's one of the main reasons I bought BoBP. It definitely has to become a flyable - I take this DD as a statement of intent! :biggrin:

@Han@=FB=VikS Are there plans/is there any chance to add a defensive armament modification substituting waist gunners and a rear gunner for the ventral turret? The RAF is known to have received multiple Mitchell Mk. II of later production with this US depot modification installed - a unique chance to add a virtually unknown, but not too uncommon (esp. USAAF Fifth Air Force & USMC (only rear gunner if ventral radom was installed)), modification to the otherwise quite sterile RAF Mitchell bombers.

949631014_MitchellMkIINo98SqnRAF.thumb.png.487a6048110fcf8bcf315a79fec6b337.png

On 3/9/2019 at 12:59 AM, Legioneod said:

Only problem with the D is lack of tail gun but if it never becomes flyable it's irrelevant anyways. Either way it will be great to fly if it becomes a flyable model.

On 3/8/2019 at 2:47 AM, LukeFF said:

The ventral turret, from what I have seen, was a later production block addition. 

The field of fire of the ventral Bendix turret, first introduced in the B-model, was well regarded by the RAF.

On 3/9/2019 at 6:22 PM, Blitzen said:

In several ways the B-25D is an odd choice.Its an early model for this late in the war and in any case very few B-25's ( if any,) were used operationally by the U.S.A.A.F. in Northern Europe.Down in North Africa & up the boot of Italy yes - they proved most useful. Of course the R.A.F. used quite a few and were happy to do so. In reflection I do think the B-26 which was used extensively in the northern europe ToO's would have been a somewhat better choice.

It's not an odd choice as three RAF Mitchell squadrons (98, 180, and 320), predominantly Mk. II (C/D) equipped, were based within the area depicted by the BoBP-map. Not a single B-26 unit was based in this area until the very last days of the upcoming in-game campaign. Save the B-26 for New Guinea 1942/43. :)

On 3/9/2019 at 12:59 AM, Legioneod said:

B-25J would be good for most of the Pacific. The D could stand in for early operation in the Pacific imo.

The first serial B-25J rolled off the production line in December 1943, but the last B-25D was accepted only in March 1944.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:53 PM, Blitzen said:

Nice choice a B-25C I believe...Now if we only had the Hornett & a Japan map, it would just enough be right.... 

Call me pedantic, but the B-25 used in the Doolittle Raid were B-models. ;)

Edited by =27=Davesteu

Can't wait to fire up the engines and fly around the Rhein and Ruhr Area. I life in Essen, studied in Bochum and Duisburg, worked in Düsseldorf and Köln. Now Moving to Mülheim, it will be a pleasure to check out my hometown(s) 
The Ruhrgebiet is one huge single city area. 

Thanks to the Il2 Team for this great update and the effort that is put into this project!

Best regards from Essen right now 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 76IAP-Black said:

Can't wait to fire up the engines and fly around the Rhein and Ruhr Area. I life in Essen, studied in Bochum and Duisburg, worked in Düsseldorf and Köln. Now Moving to Mülheim, it will be a pleasure to check out my hometown(s)

Apart from several weeks of vacation I seem to have lived most of my life inside the boundaries of this map ;) (and I visited all four corners :D )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, =27=Davesteu said:

Everything shown looks superb, but the real star of the show is the now revealed B-25D-20/-25/-30/ or -35 (in case anyone was wondering). Despite being AI only for now, it's one of the main reasons I bought BoBP. It definitely has to become a flyable - I take this DD as a statement of intent! :biggrin:

@Han@=FB=VikS Are there plans/is there any chance to add a defensive armament modification substituting waist gunners and a rear gunner for the ventral turret? The RAF is known to have received multiple Mitchell Mk. II of later production with this US depot modification installed - a unique chance to add a virtually unknown, but not too uncommon (esp. USAAF Fifth Air Force & USMC (only rear gunner if ventral radom was installed)), modification to the otherwise quite sterile RAF Mitchell bombers.

The field of fire of the ventral Bendix turret, first introduced in the B-model, was well regarded by the RAF.

It's not an odd choice as two RAF Mitchell squadrons (98 & 180), predominantly Mk. II (C/D) equipped, were based within the area depicted by the BoBP-map. Not a single B-26 unit was based in this area until the very last days of the upcoming in-game campaign. Save the B-26 for New Guinea 1942/43. :)

The first serial B-25J rolled off the production line in December 1943, but the last B-25D was accepted only in March 1944.

Make that 3. From October of 1944 the Dutch 320 squadron was operating out of Melsbroek, along with both 98 and 180 squadron..

9 hours ago, Sharpe43 said:

5 might be the cathedral of St Paul de Liege, but I have my doubts

Definitly not. Frankfurt cathedral I would say.

30 minutes ago, Sharpe43 said:

Make that 3. From October of 1944 the Dutch 320 squadron was operating out of Melsbroek, along with both 98 and 180 squadron.. 

That's correct. Thanks for the reminder and correction! :soldier:

6. It is forbidden to discuss the actions of moderators and administrators in any form on the forum. All questions are to be sent via "personal message" to the administrator/moderator.

• Haha 1

Guest deleted@32648
On 3/9/2019 at 5:45 PM, JonRedcorn said:

Right unfortunately there hasn't been any increase in cpu performance in like the last decade, we keep adding cores but have topped out on ipc and single core speeds which is what matters in these sims. So until there's some new miraculous cpu that gives us gains like we see on the gpu front we are SOL. You can throw new gpu after new gpu at the game till you're broke but it does nothing when we are cpu limited.

Problem is also that BoS/M/X is something that can be bought (has been bought), enjoyed for a time, then, as extras are added in, the performance drops off and risks making it unplayable at worst and at best just be irritating as hell to know it was better before; and, the response you then get is 'upgrade' etc. That then presents the risk of upgrading the wrong bit to 'fix' the performance issue...

This is more an issue with the whole staged release format which is not unique to BoX  by any means, but it would be wise to try and avoid turning satisfied customers into unsatisfied ones.

This game has been optimised previously, granted, (dx11 and the Moscow map release was the peak for me), but (as examples) improved fire effects/pilots are of little interest to me and hypothetically if they all chip away 1 framerate each it will add up; and the whole tank thing,... hmm well.

But in truth two of the things I'm crying out for in order to get back into the game would probably have an effect too, (although there is one big thing that has been suggested that would perhaps counter their impact but I've done my time talking about wishes and hopes, and I see what is being done in the game, what the crowds cheer and what will be will be). Just have to hope the developers really want to stick to a certain required spec, and will only add things that drain if they can optimise to mitigate elsewhere.

52 minutes ago, Uninstalled said:

Problem is also that BoS/M/X is something that can be bought (has been bought), enjoyed for a time, then, as extras are added in, the performance drops off and risks making it unplayable at worst and at best just be irritating as hell to know it was better before; and, the response you then get is 'upgrade' etc. That then presents the risk of upgrading the wrong bit to 'fix' the performance issue...

The game has to keep moving. If you feel performance dropping, gradually remove detail until one day you finally upgrade. It's the only way to go. I'm delaying an upgrade as much as I can. Of course I'm losing something, I'm not running full detail. One of these days I'll catch up, but there will be a better game then, because that's being done all the time.

• Upvote 4

If you do not move forward, then you go backwards and disappear from the playfield. Staying still is not an option. Moving forward is the only way to fight entropy and chaos.

14 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:
1 hour ago, Uninstalled said:

The game has to keep moving.

Game features and graphic fireworks are added whenever hardware is improved, so both things are developed in parallel, one may say. That is good, there are many games I like to play today, but they are graphically outdated.

We should remember the IL-2 was always very demanding, in beginning 2000's it was routinely used as benchmark tool for GCs and CPUs.

Edited by NoMoreSteam
typos
  • Upvote 1

I'll admit to one thing though. I'm more then somewhat curious about going as far north into Holland as The Hague is. Does this mean we will be hunting for the V2 launchers that were in that area?

6 minutes ago, Sharpe43 said:

Does this mean we will be hunting for the V2 launchers

I think they would need to adjust their FM to include V2 speed and associated relativity effects ;)

Edited by NoMoreSteam

5 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

It's not an odd choice as three RAF Mitchell squadrons (98, 180, and 320), predominantly Mk. II (C/D) equipped, were based within the area depicted by the BoBP-map. Not a single B-26 unit was based in this area until the very last days of the upcoming in-game campaign. Save the B-26 for New Guinea 1942/43. :)

The ventral turret is what we are getting from the looks of the model. I much prefer the tail and waist positions compared to the ventral but thats just me. From what I've read the ventral wasn't well liked by American crews.

Top Turret, Waist Gunner, and Tail Gunner are my preferred positions in the B-25 so hopefully we could see it as a mod if they ever make it flyable.

I totally agree with a flyable B25 :good:

But if you want extra turrets, please take a ticket and a place in the line because the 111 has priority :rtfm:

H16/R1 or a H20 would be great additions to BOBP later. 

Screenshot_2019-03-11-08-20-18-1.png.83af45a76f655abeba5b94d56df8bb78.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Legendary aircraft the 262, really? - will this Legendary aircraft fly more than the 1157 km/h without falling apart!!! :)

20190311171248_1.thumb.jpg.3018a3862d21bd390a8f851ed3d7d088.jpg

P-38J! YAY! Part of my top 3 planes of all time, the Zero and the Spitfire are the other two. Looks beautiful, thanks for the hard work! :-)

Wow, I didn't even notice that there had been a Thursday update. And finally a glimpse of that P-38. Oh Momma! What is it about that damn airplane? Can't wait. Things are coming along REALLY nicely.

On 3/10/2019 at 7:56 PM, 76IAP-Black said:

The Ruhrgebiet is one huge single city area. 

Thanks to the Il2 Team for this great update and the effort that is put into this project!

Best regards from Essen right now 

I know, right? I live in Mainz and have family all over the Netherlands, there have been a few times where I've been driving to Nijmegen and wishing I had my 109 instead...