Who lives in London, England???

Jason_Williams

49 minutes ago, ADorante said:

Like a gossip column The Rock Paper Shotgun's Flare Path reports about Jason's trip to the museum:

RPS Flare Path article (pls scroll down to section H)

I hope the trip was successful and he used the time also to make picures of every nut and bolt of the Typhoon, which AFAIK is also on display there so that we can get that plane as a collectors item.

3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Ummm...please tell that’s because they didn’t have Red Vines or we can never be friends.

It's because I liked (and still really like) Twizzlers. Sorry. :P 

13 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Chimay Blue... my favourite beer of all time!

Yep! Those Trappist monks don't say much, but they know how to brew a heavenly beer!

6 hours ago, AeroAce said:

LOL 

What is closer to water than a kayak?....

American beer !

For the old "major" brands, I totally concur.  It was not always like this, but the introduction of so called "light beer" in the late 60s led to more and more women becoming beer consumers and when all the major brewers here took note that they could sell more beer that was cheaper to make, the ball started rolling.

My father was the manager of an area beer distributor, so I grew up with the beer business all around me, which was cool for a young man to be in that position, be sure, and early on a couple of the majors had "premium" brands that actually had real flavor and body, we had one of them on tap at home all the time.  But even their "premium" offerings succumbed to the "lighter is better" paradigm, and for many years, all was lost.

Now it's much better, as craft brewers have become a major force in American beer making and are putting a serious dent in the sales of the major brewers.  I have a nice little brew pub just around the corner from my home in fact.

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2018 at 9:54 AM, AeroAce said:

Surely it's 'why is American beer like having sex in a canoe?' 

'it's f***ing close to water!' 

• Like 1

TheBlackPenguin
5 hours ago, Diggun said:

Hahaha, Budweiser Lite and Coor Lite, however it has changed a great deal over here over the past twenty years with the rise of microbreweries that have flourished though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Diggun said:

That, or piss. :) When I worked in a grocery store back in my teens, I had to keep the beer section stocked. Without fail, my apron would end up smelling like piss from the Budweiser that leaked onto it. 

• Haha 3

On the topic of beer - I am pleased to report that at least one person sitting at that table was enjoying a PINT of IPA. 😉

Was great meeting up with you all.

Edited by arc_tander

Duxford is well worth a visit if you have time not far from stanstead airport,and not too far from Cambridge well worth a visit

if you want try the best beer, a pint off ghost ship,wow that’s a great drop off the amber nectar if I ever knew one

Edited by meplanes1969

=EXPEND=CG_Justin
On 12/27/2018 at 1:58 PM, SYN_Mike77 said:

Here in Kentucky, I must ask, what is this beer you speak of?  Bourbon!  That's what men drink:image.jpeg.bf21fbe44dcc4081f1032d995db4c5cf.jpeg

This is why I love where I'm from!!

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, arc_tander said:

On the topic of beer - I am pleased to report that at least one person sitting at that table was enjoying a PINT of IPA. 😉

Was great meeting up with you all.

Try the only true Pils to get an idea of excellent stuff:

grolsch.jpg?itok=-Z6VMuXq

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sevenless said:

Try the only true Pils to get an idea of excellent stuff:

grolsch.jpg?itok=-Z6VMuXq

The problem with imported European beers here in the USA is that by the time we get them they are already several weeks old, and have had a number of temperature cycles during transport.  Beer is very sensitive to time and temperature cycles.  So, very often the otherwise excellent European beers are stale and what we call "skunky" (due to how they smell).

It's sad as a real Czech Pilsner is a thing of beauty to the palette...

On 12/22/2018 at 4:54 AM, AeroAce said:

LOL 

American beer !

You don't know what you are talking about.

Beer is in it's Golden Age here in the United States. Never has there been a greater selection of superb beer so readily available anywhere in the world. Craft beers and micro-breweries abound and only the strong survive.

It's an embarrassment of riches, actually.

The fact Jason had to go over there and drink warm Budweiser is a testament to the fact that no one from England should ever criticize anyone else's beer. 

On 12/27/2018 at 1:58 PM, SYN_Mike77 said:

Here in Kentucky, I must ask, what is this beer you speak of?  Bourbon!  That's what men drink:image.jpeg.bf21fbe44dcc4081f1032d995db4c5cf.jpeg

Can confirm. Am from Kentucky.

I keep Small Batch Woodford Reserve on hand at all times and just finished a superb bottle of Blantons.

Unfortunately the rest of the world has now discovered Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and so sales on the secondary market have become absurd.

Edited by CUJO_1970
  • Upvote 2

6./ZG26_Custard
18 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

The fact Jason had to go over there and drink warm Budweiser is a testament to the fact that no one from England should ever criticize anyone else's beer.

Thank heavens Jason didn't have to drink "warm Budweiser". Real Ale, as  its drunk in the UK, is not served "Ice" cold like so many lagers. Its served at cellar temperature so you can enjoy the full flavour of a finely crafted pint, instead of the taste buds being frozen  by ice cold liquid. I attest to what you said that the USA beer industry is definitely on the rise, but I'll defend old Blighty for crafting some amazing real ales in full measure.. 

18 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Here in Kentucky, I must ask, what is this beer you speak of?  Bourbon!  That's what men drink:

No, Men drink Single Malt ;)

oWxyXkw.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Thank heavens Jason didn't have to drink "warm Budweiser". Real Ale, as  its drunk in the UK, is not served "Ice" cold like so many lagers. Its served at cellar temperature so you can enjoy the full flavour of a finely crafted pint, instead of the taste buds being frozen  by ice cold liquid. I attest to what you said that the USA beer industry is definitely on the rise, but I'll defend old Blighty for crafting some amazing real ales in full measure.. 

oWxyXkw.jpg

True, but from Islay

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2018 at 8:59 PM, meplanes1969 said:

Duxford is well worth a visit if you have time not far from stanstead airport,and not too far from Cambridge well worth a visit

if you want try the best beer, a pint off ghost ship,wow that’s a great drop off the amber nectar if I ever knew one

One of my favourites. Lots of good beer from Adnams 

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

oWxyXkw.jpg

Needs more island than highland 🙂 give me a Talisker, Scapa, or highland Park!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AeroAce said:

@CUJO_1970 It is an old joke that may not be that true these days. But it does stand true for the US beers that are exported to the UK. Anyway I didnt mean any offence.

No offense taken man, just messing with you Ace 😀

3 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

oWxyXkw.jpg

Aberlour - like most Scotch - is aged in used bourbon casks from the United States 🙂

If you've not tasted a good barrel proof, small batch Weller's or Blanton's you owe it to yourself to try. 12 Year Weller is probably the most coveted bottle of any spirit on the planet right now.

Cold beer in the US is typically 38 degrees - and - speaking of England -  that includes pretty much any IPA brewed here. Above that temperature and you are playing with fire.

It seems we've strayed a bit off topic though....

6./ZG26_Custard
39 minutes ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Aberlour - like most Scotch - is aged in used bourbon casks from the United States 

Yes 90% of Whisky in fact.  They don't need the stuff that was originally in them, just the white oak casks. Probably because Quercus Robur are slow growing and most were chopped down and used to make ships of the line 200+ years ago. Yes, I'm joking ;)

I'll check out your recommendation but for me one of the best I've had is Laphroaig Islay Single Malt.

1 hour ago, CUJO_1970 said:

It seems we've strayed a bit off topic though....

Indeed, but its sometimes good to stray a little.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

for me one of the best I've had is Laphroaig Islay Single Malt.

Hey Custard, you're a man after my own heart! That is my all time fav malt. It's fermented peat water!!

• Like 1

6./ZG26_Custard
2 hours ago, Elem said:

That is my all time fav malt.

It really is a lovely wee dram ;)

Edit: Here is another delight.

craigellachie-13yo.jpg

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard
See Edit

6 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Yes 90% of Whisky in fact.  They don't need the stuff that was originally in them, just the white oak casks.

Maybe, but those casks are all still saturated with 2-3 gallons of bourbon - some much more. Best of both worlds I guess 😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Haza said:

Ok, so it is only 1m squared but what a plot, although I've yet to inspect it!!

Ha! me too. I hope they are tending to it!

1 hour ago, Elem said:

Ha! me too. I hope they are tending to it!

I have one as well. I've often played around with the idea of going there and standing on it!

On 12/30/2018 at 12:37 PM, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

oWxyXkw.jpg

Got this one for xmas. Jummie 🙂

lgvob.16yo.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Got this one for xmas. Jummie 🙂

lgvob.16yo.jpg

I'm jealous. Shame that I don't live nearer to you or I'd be round your house later... :blink:. I suppose I'll just have to sneak past the wife - again -  and toddle off down to the shops. :drinks:

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2018 at 12:43 PM, Wulfen said:

You should take a spin on some Irish country roads on a wet winters night with a 40ft artic truck barreling towards you at 60mph and you likewise in the opposite direction. All while a foot or two to your left are earth & stone ditches, trees and hedgerows. This while casually having a conversation with the person beside you, becomes second nature and makes for having good rally drivers.

image.jpeg

triggered 

Of course the Irish were the first to produce whiskey (with an e), one of our best creations. Whiskey is the anglicised mangling of the original name in Irish, or as we say here "'as gaeilge", Uisce beatha. ''Uisce''  (pronounced as ishka) in Irish means water, and ''beatha'' means life. So the word for whiskey in Irish means the water of life, I think that tells you all you need to know. Redbreast is a premium Irish whiskey, but pricey.

Sláinte

https://www.redbreastwhiskey.com/en-en/meet-the-family

Redbreast.jpg

Of course if you want the real hard stuff here, you can get poitín, which is the granddaddy of them all. Distilled illegally for centuries, you can still get it on the quiet. There have been a number of Irish distillers who have obtained a licence to produce it in the last few years, but there is still old lads doing it on the side. As well as it`s renowned potency for drinking, it`s also used as a muscle rub by people, both for themselves and often given to race horses and coursing/greyhounds. Serious stuff and up to 90% proof, if doesn`t kill you, it`ll cure you.

Edited by Wulfen

3 hours ago, Wulfen said:

Of course the Irish were the first to produce whiskey (with an e), one of our best creations. Whiskey is the anglicised mangling of the original name in Irish, or as we say here "'as gaeilge", Uisce beatha. ''Uisce''  (pronounced as iska) in Irish means water, and ''beatha'' means life. So the word for whiskey in Irish means the water of life, I think that tells you all you need to know. Redbreast is a premium Irish whiskey, but pricey.

Sláinte

https://www.redbreastwhiskey.com/en-en/meet-the-family

Redbreast.jpg

Of course if you want the real hard stuff here, you can get poitín, which is the granddaddy of them all. Distilled illegally for centuries, you can still get it on the quiet. There have been a number of Irish distillers who have obtained a licence to produce it in the last few years, but there is still old lads doing it on the side. As well as it`s renowned potency for drinking, it`s also used as a muscle rub by people, both for themselves and often given to race horses and coursing/greyhounds. Serious stuff and up to 90% proof, if doesn`t kill you, it`ll cure you.

So that's what the Irish gave to the World, as I always assumed it to be the Scottish!!

Edited by Haza

6./ZG26_Custard
2 hours ago, Haza said:

So that's what the Irish gave to the World, as I always assumed it to be the Scottish!!

Distillation goes back to the ancient Greeks and the Italians with our Italian friends first distilling wine. primarily for use as a medicinal tonic. "Aqua vitae", spirit alcohol became widespread throughout Europe in the 15th century. There is mention in Ireland of "aqua vitae" being drunk by an Irish chieftain (the dram killed him!) about 70 to 80 years before mention of malt whisky production in Scotland. One could argue that aqua vitae and a good single malt are not one and the same ;)

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard