361ST_SPEKTRE76

P-47 D Skins

5 hours ago, 325th_Bugsy said:

Most of them are unless the skinner states it when he posts the repaint that it’s non hostorical or fictional 

So then Is Wikipedia wrong? According to them 42-27317 (Your Maggie Hogan) is a 

P-47D-4-RA not a P-47D-28?

P-47D-4-RA 200 42-22664/22863

Edited by 4thFG_Ripper*

9 hours ago, 4thFG_Ripper* said:

So I did some research and unfortunately the 4thFg never flew the P-47D-28 but other variants so producing a livery based on the real aircraft like the Boise Bee would not be historically accurate.  Maybe I will wait for the P-51 instead.

Are most of the repaints in here historically accurate in regards to the P-47D-28? Not sure if I should go ahead. 

FAFD087E-D5D9-46EC-AF25-69EA41E0BEE4.jpeg

If you have a skin you want to do, do it. There aren't any laws saying you can't paint a bubble D to represent a razorbacked P-47. There are restored warbirds that do that and those are valued in the millions of dollars. Artistic license is exactly that. If you like the result, that's the most important part of skinning. IMO.

Edited by Rjel
  • Like 2

Exactly what Rjel said but I would give you a word of advice though. If you make a personal or non fictional skin then please say so a lot of pilots like to collect historical skins. Good luck to your skinning look forward to seeing what you do

Edited by 325th_Bugsy
  • Like 1

@Rjel @325th_Bugsy Thanks for your input and feedback. I only have time to make skins on weekends so I will see which one(s) I can make. I might even buy the Spitfire MkV to make proper 4thFG (334th,335th,336th) skins since they never flew the MkIX.

Cheers.

First time skinner here, literally using making a few skins from templates as a way to learn photoshop!

Nonetheless, after much pain and frustration, I've turned out a few I'm happy with. I've not yet gone through and changed the serials to differentiate skins in order to have full realism in the squadron, but here's the 78th Fighter Group (over Moscow, go figure). 

Spoiler

1873916414_flightline.thumb.jpg.4b6526b02160a5409214c5735ce1dd4a.jpgFormation.thumb.jpg.f3daf4f8504f18ce178361923f7eaa5e.jpgMiss-Behavin.thumb.jpg.3908d9bcac7401c105b67de03b47693f.jpg

This is obviously NOT historically accurate; as I understand it, the P-47s flown by the 78thFG would have been razorbacks, but I used the fabulous Little Friends website as a reference for squadron and aircraft codes, as well as for the squadron crests on the starboard side of each aircraft. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks very much 325th_Bugsy, another excellent effort for my collection.  👍  👍

Mike.

• Like 2

Trying to create a new checker pattern for the nose but am having alot of trouble. Any tips?

This is the style and size I'm trying to create.

P-47Bubble_tb_03.jpg

The nose with Checkers is probably the toughest part to figure out. Take your time and count the squares across and up then just start out with a size you think will work, you will most likely have to increase the size or decrease the size of the square but its trail and error unfortunately.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Oh also that skin was done you can simply convert that skin to .bmp to use the skin and add a layer over it then just make it like the nose the way you want and then copy an paste it into yours..Make sure you give credit to the skinner of that skin to show your appreciation .

Good Luck buddy!

Edited by 325th_Bugsy

15 minutes ago, 325th_Bugsy said:

The nose with Checkers is probably the toughest part to figure out. Take your time and count the squares across and up then just start out with a size you think will work, you will most likely have to increase the size or decrease the size of the square but its trail and error unfortunately.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Oh also that skin was done you can simply convert that skin to .bmp to use the skin and add a layer over it then just make it like the nose the way you want and then copy an paste it into yours..Make sure you give credit to the skinner of that skin to show your appreciation .

Good Luck buddy!

Thanks I was looking for the person who made the skin so I can give credit but can't find who created it. Was it you?

Also, your link to your complete pack with the updated skins doesn't seem to work, was trying to download it the other day to update some of your skins that I have.

OK I just checked it and it worked for me are you having a problem with mediafire try a different browser. I think that skin is an official one and I'm not sure where they're kept. Sorry

Edited by 325th_Bugsy

11 minutes ago, 325th_Bugsy said:

OK I just checked it and it worked for me are you having a problem with mediafire try a different browser. I think that skin is an official one and I'm not sure where they're kept. Sorry

It worked. Not sure why it didn't work the other day. Thanks 

Hey Gents

I decided to update my 355thFS, 354th FG skins. We now have 3 of them the " Wee-Speck", "Live Bait" and "Scatter Bain". I also updated the cowling and colors, giving you more choices. Here a couple of screens of the new planes...

Bugsy_Frame.jpg

Bugsy_Frame2.jpg

Bugsy-Frame3.jpg

Download Here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2udt2dt7x6zsd4y/354th_FG%2C_355th_FS.rar/file

Edited by 325th_Bugsy
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks very much again 325th_Bugsy.

Sexiness with two wings.  😄

Mike.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 11:00 PM, 325th_Bugsy said:

OK Gents

These our our 325th FG skins for my unit...6 skins in all 3 OD and 3 Alum. If you would like to see us online then please download them...Also we are still looking for good pilots if interested...These were kept in the historical fashion as much as possible...Salute!

Il-2_2019-01-10_12-48-13.png

Il-2_2019-01-10_12-50-17.png

Il-2_2019-01-10_16-01-25.png

Download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c3p5aadj6wd2kcj/325thFS_Skins_newest.rar/file

Love the one with taz great job thanks 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 334th_Ripper* said:

Hello Gents, wondering if any of you know which Squadron code font this plane is using. It is not USAAF Amirillo no USAAF code since it is rounded. I can<t seem to find the correct font

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/media/14165

Thanks!

Its hand jammed not stencilled so you might be better doing it from scratch or starting with an RAF type font and "ammeding" it and ruffing it up a little.

RAF 841_WW2_ATH is about the closest i could find. 

• Like 1

The 4thFG used many different style "fonts" so to speak during its service. I'd bet these were an inhouse stencil. There are several websites that I scour to find Windows fonts and I can usually find something that's pretty close. Sometimes if you can get a good profile shot like below, it can be copied then used as a base to create the code from scratch.

image.png.e35c3910a9987b95681ce14f92294c3d.png

• Like 1

Hello everyone, so I am completing my very first basic skin using the P-47 template from ICDS. I am using Adobe CS2 (free) with the Nvidea DDS Pugin.

Here is a short video of my issue. Any tips are appreciated

https://youtu.be/dbXi4XqqQzY

You'll need to darken the alpha channel to reduce the metallic effect you're seeing. Use the editable layered Alpha psd that came with the download.

Edited by Rjel

7 minutes ago, Rjel said:

You'll need to darken the alpha channel to reduce the metallic effect you're seeing. Use the editable layered Alpha psd that came with the download. 

Thanks Rejel. Willdo!

I should add too that once you edit that layered Alpha, it will need to be reduced to a single layer. Once that is done it needs to be copied to the Channels tab in CS2 overwriting the original one there. It sounds more complicated than it really is but once you get past that it's actually very simple. 

Skinning in this series is more complicated than what was in the original IL-2 but the end results are so much more detailed and lifelike.

4 minutes ago, Rjel said:

I should add too that once you edit that layered Alpha, it will need to be reduced to a single layer. Once that is done it needs to be copied to the Channels tab in CS2 overwriting the original one there. It sounds more complicated than it really is but once you get past that it's actually very simple.  

Skinning in this series is more complicated than what was in the original IL-2 but the end results are so much more detailed and lifelike. 

Rgr thanks, so what was the purpose of including the P-47D-28 PSD if everyone s using the Alpha Channel PSD? 

I'm not an expert but in my experience, the editable Alpha helps with the underlying gloss we see on the skin. That way different nosearts, paint schemes ect, can show up with a more flat finish as opposed to the almost transparent  look as you've experienced. Still use the actual layered PSD as your paintable skin.

Hopefully some other more experienced skinner will jump in with their thoughts.

Edited by Rjel
spelling

16 hours ago, Rjel said:

I'm not an expert but in my experience, the editable Alpha helps with the underlying gloss we see on the skin. That way different nosearts, paint schemes ect, can show up with a more flat finish as opposed to the almost transparent  look as you've experienced. Still use the actual layered PSD as your paintable skin.

Hopefully some other more experienced skinner will jump in with their thoughts.

Ok I figures this all out! The answer is in the title lol! For instance I want Olive Drab so selected it in the Alpha Channel, then flattened it and replaced the Aplha 1 channel in the paint kit and presto the alpha channel now shows Olive Drab an no longer metallic.

Capture.JPG

On 1/10/2019 at 11:00 PM, 325th_Bugsy said:

OK Gents

These our our 325th FG skins for my unit...6 skins in all 3 OD and 3 Alum. If you would like to see us online then please download them...Also we are still looking for good pilots if interested...These were kept in the historical fashion as much as possible...Salute!

Il-2_2019-01-10_12-48-13.png

Il-2_2019-01-10_12-50-17.png

Il-2_2019-01-10_16-01-25.png

Download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c3p5aadj6wd2kcj/325thFS_Skins_newest.rar/file

OMG i missed these, don't think i had BoX then.

Many many thanks @325th_Bugsy  as always a superb effort. 

Thanks again.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Mike

Im finishing up Skins for Gambit’s upcoming  Bodenplatte campaign and then I’ll have some treats for you guys...

• Like 1

You have already given us many treats buddy.  👍  👍

I am very grateful to all the guys that add skins, mods, etc to BoX.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, Legioneod said:

Trying to create a new checker pattern for the nose but am having alot of trouble. Any tips?

This is the style and size I'm trying to create.

P-47Bubble_tb_03.jpg

Look at this silent video, he makes a checkered nose. 

Edited by 334th_Ripper*
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 325th_Bugsy said:

Yeah saw it, it is a good video

I reposted since I mixed it in another post:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

334 RIPPER

thanks for explaining how to remove shine from olive drab  camo  .

Edited by dog1
  • Like 1