HappyHaddock

Work in Progress

Looks incredible Haddock! Loved your mod for ROF, can't wait to try out this one!

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2019 at 9:35 PM, HappyHaddock said:

Help I'm in danger of turning this into a farm simūüėČ

Somebody remind me that there's not just plants and the weather to think about.. shouldn't I also be thinking about aeroplanes?

PLEASE go on with this, enhance the diversity of flowers and bushes even more, it's so much more beautiful AND much more realistic, too! Being adapted at today's chlorophyll-deserts called "cornfields" or "agricultural grassland" one can't image how colourful and manifold farmlands once have been.

Looks amazing!

Can you make a grey sky?

When we fly in overcast weather looks weird because you are in fog low visibility and when you look up looks blue, but you climb and get into the clouds.

Once you get over the clouds its blue, like it should be, but blue should not show below the clouds.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Looks amazing!

Can you make a grey sky?

When we fly in overcast weather looks weird because you are in fog low visibility and when you look up looks blue, but you climb and get into the clouds.

Once you get over the clouds its blue, like it should be, but blue should not show below the clouds.

I'll post a few pics once I'm happy with this aspect of my work but I'm ahead of you on this one as I'm completely re-working the overcast conditions. There's certain things that I'd like to do that would not only offer a vast visual improvement of the overcast weather  but approx. double the frame rate of rendering this. So far its hard codingwithin the game engine has eluded my ability to combine the two things I need to achieve all this but I've nevertheless made big steps forward and will keep trying.

I can't actually offer dynamic weather that changes during a mission but I've a few tricks up my sleeve that might surprise people in terms of how diverse an interpretation of "overcast" weather I can create and grey skies are all part of that.

I do love the fact that pretty much whatever physical characteristic of the real world I want to play with has already been thought of by the devs who developed this game engine... I've spent this evening tinkering with the optical characteristics of the digital air... it has a huge impact on the look of, well the look of everything on screen. Even I was surprised by how much variation and interest you can create between different clear skys under the mid day sun!

I think I said earlier in this thread that whilst having not counted that I'd guess that I would end up modding about 60-80 files for this sky mod alone (excluding work on the plant life)… it seems I was wrong as I've just counted and I'm at already at well over one hundred files and counting. That said my ROF sky mod got up to 80 files at one point but I streamlined that back to 50 before releasing it.

… and finally another random screenshot snapped whilst testing things earlier this weekend

Cheers

HH

a storm brewing.jpg

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Great job!

And good to hear you are working on the overcast, it is terrible in the game, that weather condition is non existent, blue sky on top and you climb and there are clouds.

• Thanks 1

It's beautiful.

You do need a tester or two, right?

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2019 at 9:16 AM, HappyHaddock said:

I  now work as an artist/model maker and have published papers in journals about the psychology of perception and how the eye and brain work together to interpret what they see and what makes them judge an image to be pleasing, realistic or dramatic.

Then the book 'Art and Illusion: A study in the psychology of pictorial representation' by E.H. Gombrich is not unknown to you.

At art academy (lightyears ago) this book was a real eye opener to me.

Back on topic: I am really looking forward to the release of your sky and cloud mod. Looks very promising already.

Realizing that it may take time before the download link will be posted but in the flight sim world patience is a virtue.

At first glance I thought that some of your screenshots were real life photos.

• Thanks 1

There's a certain irony in putting in so much effort to re-create the dull, lifeless and uninspiring flat light of a miserably non-descript overcast day... but it feels a modest achievement nevertheless.

Cheers

HH

flat light.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HappyHaddock said:

There's a certain irony in putting in so much effort to re-create the dull, lifeless and uninspiring flat light of a miserably non-descript overcast day... but it feels a modest achievement nevertheless.

Cheers

HH

flat light.jpg

My eyes misted over looking at that....ūüėĘ

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

Aw, c'mon.  I love days like that  :)

When you live in the North West of England it's obligatory to... or put another way you have to love days like that to live in the North West of England.

Sure when walking the dog on the beach each morning there are times when the weather coming in over the Irish sea is really dramatic to watch, and the rising sun catching the distant mountain tops of Snowdonia can be spectacular, but by and large a blanket of drab cloud cover is most common.

HH

Damn you, Happy Haddock. I'll now suffer more spiralling to earth burning from swanning about enjoying your lovely vistas. Keep up the great work, mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HH,

those shots look worthy of printing, framing and putting on the living room wall over a roaring fire.... to be enjoyed while sipping a nice whiskey!

Great stuff!!!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Anything that improves the look of the sky in IL2 Great Battles has to be good in my opinion it is the worst looking sky of any sim the original  IL2  sky was better looking well for me it is.

Edited by CB77Don246

14 hours ago, HappyHaddock said:

Cheers

HH

flat light.jpg

Hey there HH, I was wondering what that looks like from the topside.....:)

HH, I just wish you would quit teasing us and drop a beta for us to try. I always used your mod in ROF and what you are doing here is spectacular. Is it a FPS killer or is it just not finished or what? I have to admit, after the new clouds were released and the problems with the other planes viewed against those clouds jaggying out I have not like BOX as much. I am hoping you are figuring out a way to correct this?

S!Blade<><

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

HH, I just wish you would quit teasing us and drop a beta for us to try. I always used your mod in ROF and what you are doing here is spectacular. Is it a FPS killer or is it just not finished or what? I have to admit, after the new clouds were released and the problems with the other planes viewed against those clouds jaggying out I have not like BOX as much. I am hoping you are figuring out a way to correct this?

S!Blade<><

At this stage it's far from being ready even for a beta version because every change you make to one thing impacts on so many others, plus the randomisation built in to each weather setting means no beta tester could offer me meaningful feedback as this is set up to not deliver repetitively and recognisably repeatable conditions when you pick any particular in game weather state.

There's a lot of fine tuning going on to balance out the fifty different weather states to try give a pretty varied spectrum of possibilities without producing anything that jars visually as it mixes various component parts and settings from different files, plus I'm having to keep optimising things to keep up a decent frame rate. By and large I've got things running on my GTX970 at a steady 60-90FPS when all the graphics settings are maxed out, but there are rare moments when things drop to a stuttering 20FPS and I'm trying to track down if its certain combination of settings that doesn't work or if it's simply some sort of sporadic background activity unrelated to IL2 and attributable to other software automatically updating or such which seems an unlikely thing to hit FPS so heavily. However the randomisation built into the weather means that if I put in exactly the same settings again to check for the problem it runs fine the next time  and is back to the 60-90FPS, so diagnostic work is proving interesting to say the least!

Plus at this stage I'm only working on one season, so even if I'd finished what I'm doing now I'd only be a quarter of the way through the work load if wanting to mod the  skies for all year.

This is very much a long, slow burn project that started back in 2014 as a v.4.0 enhanced sky mod  for ROF without ever getting completed  and is being re-worked and updated for IL2. There's many months of work left for me... so rather than have folk waiting impatiently it's probably best to work on the assumption that this may be ready in 2019 if things progress quickly, if not then at some point in 2020.

9 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Hey there HH, I was wondering what that looks like from the topside.....:)

Balancing the look of the skies above and below the clouds becomes more and more of a challenge the thicker and more overcast the conditions get; settings for lighting conditions that look good in a clear sky above the clouds fail beneath them, but there's certainly better compromises to be found than those of the stock game.

Cheers

HH

above the clouds.jpg

15 hours ago, keeno said:

HH,

those shots look worthy of printing, framing and putting on the living room wall over a roaring fire.... to be enjoyed while sipping a nice whiskey!

Great stuff!!!

That's very kind of you to say... but as an artist that is my day job.

If you'll permit a temporary diversion here's a couple of paintings done recently for my parents... perhaps at some point I'll have a go at one or two aviation paintings, but most of my commissioned work tends to be portrait work or copies of old masters.

Cheers HH

loco shed at night.jpg

ross revenge.jpg

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, keeno said:

HH,

Great stuff!!!

Living room, roaring fire, IL2... Reminds me of someone...

bebKKUX.jpg

4 hours ago, HappyHaddock said:

This is very much a long, slow burn project that started back in 2014 as a v.4.0 enhanced sky mod  for ROF without ever getting completed  and is being re-worked and updated for IL2. There's many months of work left for me... so rather than have folk waiting impatiently it's probably best to work on the assumption that this may be ready in 2019 if things progress quickly, if not then at some point in 2020.

That's very kind of you to say... but as an artist that is my day job.

If you'll permit a temporary diversion here's a couple of paintings done recently for my parents... perhaps at some point I'll have a go at one or two aviation paintings, but most of my commissioned work tends to be portrait work or copies of old masters.

Cheers HH

Never realized there is so much work involved in reworking just one season.

Good to know though we have to wait for about one year before we might be able to enjoy your improved skies and clouds.

Otherwise we keep on asking when the release date is. ;)

In relation to your artwork. Basically I stopped working on commission (depending on what it is of course and how much it pays) but no more copies of old masters on commissions.

Not to clog up your topic with unrelated images I put a couple of my old master's copies in one image.

Copies.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

In relation to your artwork. Basically I stopped working on commission (depending on what it is of course and how much it pays) but no more copies of old masters on commissions.

Not to clog up your topic with unrelated images I put a couple of my old master's copies in one image.

Nice work,

I don't mind the commissions too much as they tend to push me in directions I wouldn't otherwise have tried and I only take them on if the money is good, but I've a wealthy client base of collectors for my paintings dotted around Europe , America, Australasia and the middle east. 

here's a few of the little bits'n'pieces I've been working on to take to my next miniatures fair … they might also appeal to Feathered who I believe is no stranger to delicate little work and who shares a passion for detailing 1/144th models.

2 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

Never realized there is so much work involved in reworking just one season.

Good to know though we have to wait for about one year before we might be able to enjoy your improved skies and clouds.

Done in a time frame that makes sense there's a lot less work, so if you work like the devs and aim to do what makes financial sense you end up with something akin to the stock game.

It is likely to take so long partly because I'm a perfectionist wanting to produce something in my spare time that is much better than is currently available, and partly the fact that although I've spent a lot of the last week or two working on this work and have achieved a fair bit, I know that there will be several months ahead when I won't be getting anything done on it  at all.

Cheers

HH

Van Gogh self portrait.jpg

Rembrandt Self portrait.jpg

Turner Dutch boats in a gale.jpg

Vermeer Girl with pearl.jpg

• Like 2

Really great stuff!

What is the performance impact of that combined mod with the multi-stock-clouds, improved reflections and new sunrise?

1 hour ago, yogy said:

Really great stuff!

What is the performance impact of that combined mod with the multi-stock-clouds, improved reflections and new sunrise?

I'm trying to optimise things to ensure there isn't really a performance hit compared to the standard sim... however until such a point as I have anything resembling a complete mod I can't say for sure that I'll achieve this goal, but at the moment what I'm doing doesn't demand "more" processing power, it just puts it to better use.

HH

• Thanks 1

So many talented people!

I'm a bit of an artist myself, or used to be! Nothing to your standards, mainly pencil or pen.

All the same, great work and good luck with the mod!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

WOW! Great looking skies ūüôā

• Thanks 1

By way of a little diversion  from plodding through the work on the summer skies I thought I might be able to save myself a lot of future work by porting over settings I'd created for one season to another and simply addressing the lighting differences ... Epic fail!

I've proved to myself I can match the quality across the seasons but it looks as if to get the results I want I'm pretty much going to have to start each season from scratch... Ho-humūüėě

HH

failed expt.jpg

winter blues.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It is really amazing how much of a difference changing the sky makes on the look of the terrain as well. 

2 hours ago, Danziger said:

It is really amazing how much of a difference changing the sky makes on the look of the terrain as well. 

Well that is deliberate and intentional, but at the same point one of many reasons that this isn't just about modding a few of the files that affect the sky but as much about the light and the air that affects how the terrain, vehicles and everything else is seen.... My somewhat niave guess mentioned earlier (based upon my work on ROF) that this mod may need to adjust 60-80 files is proving well wide of the mark.  My latest estimate is that I may end up needing to work on approx. five hundred files to cover all four seasons.

… and for those of you who have ben asking about the performance hit this mod will have, I've just completed a first direct numerical/statistical  comparison against the stock/vanilla game and my optimisation techniques are working.  With the randomisation and variation inherent in this there's about a 5% fluctuation up or down on FPS, but this mod is just as likely to run  one or two FPS faster as slower than the stock game. However to all intent and purpose what I've done so far runs at the same speed as what the devs have done.  The larger and improved clouds render just as quickly as the stock game.

HH

• Like 1

Just another little quick test trying out a setting I'd never used before;  that is I've set the graphics preferences to low quality clouds just to see what difference it may make for those limited to this.

It doesn't look quite as good but with an approx. 50% boost to FPS over the games max cloud quality I usually use, and running at well over 100FPS on my old gtx 970 it's not all that bad.

HH

low quality cloud setting.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

It looks amazing. I wish they would make this a paid project for you.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Danziger said:

It looks amazing. I wish they would make this a paid project for you.

I told him exactly the same via PM, he should be hired to do the sky for Il2 series,  I always hear they dont have the resources, or time,here is a guy doing amazing stuff in his free time.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

At less than half way there I've just done a quick file check and have so far reached three hundred and thirty six  files in this mod  (oh well maybe even yesterdays guess of a total of 500 when complete may prove short of the mark)... As such I may be making a rod for my own back and yet more work but I've begun experimenting with a new parameter which I think gives a certain something to the winter atmosphere.

any land mark will do.jpg

winter haze.jpg

It's also thrown up the following which is very err... shall we say "dramatic"... I wasn't quite expecting this and it certainly offers potential worth exploring, but I'm curious if others think such a "bold" look is too much or actually looks great?

good or bad.jpg

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

If I didn¬īt know otherwise I¬īd claim that you photoshoped those pictures. Wow.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Psyrion said:

If I didn¬īt know otherwise I¬īd claim that you photoshoped those pictures. Wow.

Straight out of an albeit heavily modded sim.... it does however say something about how far "down the rabbit hole" I am as yesterday I found my self creating a minor mod for my graphics editing software to create a new tool for making it easier to paint the sort of texture files I want for this mod for IL2 .

HH

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Are you working on the morning haze? I can't remember I've seen it in game actually.

In relation to your question about the "dramatic" appearance of the last screenshot.

For my feeling it looks a bit too dramatic. As if William Turner or John Constable look over your shoulder. ;)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0895/0864/products/ql_c_140515_1852_1024x1024.jpg?v=1481214032

https://www.digitalekunstkrant.nl/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/JMW-Turner-Fishermen-upon-a-Lee-Shore-Southampton-City-Art-Gallery-e1447666799470.jpg

On the other hand it is hard to judge from a single image. Perhaps it looks more natural, lifelike when seen in game or in a short video.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Uufflakke said:

Are you working on the morning haze? I can't remember I've seen it in game actually.

In relation to your question about the "dramatic" appearance of the last screenshot.

For my feeling it looks a bit too dramatic. As if William Turner or John Constable look over your shoulder. ;)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0895/0864/products/ql_c_140515_1852_1024x1024.jpg?v=1481214032

https://www.digitalekunstkrant.nl/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/JMW-Turner-Fishermen-upon-a-Lee-Shore-Southampton-City-Art-Gallery-e1447666799470.jpg

On the other hand it is hard to judge from a single image. Perhaps it looks more natural, lifelike when seen in game or in a short video.

Well I'm a big fan of Constable's sky's and Turner is by far and away my favourite artist who in my opinion holds a God like status because he wasn't just a brilliant artist but also lectured on the behaviour of light... two facts I see as being intrinsically linked as painting is basically a visual representation of the behaviour of light. However when the game engine unexpectedly threw up the above image  I could see a lot in it I liked artistically but it did feel a bit "overdone".

As for a morning haze and/or mist... well if the game engine can handle it then I'm pulling it apart to see if I can put I back together in a way that gives better end results... and the optical characteristics of the air at different times of day are such a big part of the look of everything, it has become something I'm focussing more and more of my attention on addressing.

A typical config file governing the look of the sky and behaviour of light refences six to eight texture files and has around two dozen numerical parameters to adjust how it uses  and blends these textures; several of which are three part RGB numerical colour refences. Some of these numerical settings play a fairly minor part and I can now more or less "guess" what an appropriate setting is as the margin of error is pretty broad. There's at least half a dozen though that  need tweaking and tuning to in some cases within the last one tenth of a percent to get the difference between something tolerable and something good.... things which take a lot of subtle trial error to find that fine balance between all of them.  This mod is going to need 200 such data files plus all the associated texture files; which is a lot of fine tuning and experimentation.

Cheers

HH

Edited by HappyHaddock