LizLemon

[MOD] Pilot in cockpit (updated: 4k textures)

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

So the arm is moving with the throttle, RPM Lever, yoke, radiator dials, switches etc?

The hands are on the yoke and move with it as do the feet on the rudder pedals.

OK - that's a simple rig setup.

Arm/hand nodes are a child of the throttle, and same with feet and pedals.

No more complex than the rigging involved with landing gear.

That's a LONG ways from animations moving hands to radiator dials etc.

Still, interesting to know.

2 hours ago, Milopapa said:

+1,000,000

I wish I could upvote this a million times.

Thank You LizLemon! No more of the all seeing Eye Of Sauron while in the cockpit, love having to look around my limbs to see some of the cockpit instruments and levers. :good:

Something I have noticed though, is the Fw 190 winter pilot still has his head modeled in the cockpit position causing "head/goggle artifacts" when viewed from the cockpit. The summer pilot is fine.

Pilot head.jpg

Edited by bzc3lk

I have tested it and frankly it is not bad at all. On the Pe-2 the limbs move perfectly with the control wheel, rotation as well as back and forth.

In certain planes position of limbs is good in some it is not, but it is not an immersion killer.

By positioning the Pilot head position well centered according to the body, and limiting the down view one can avoid looking through the head hole in the body.

Does this mean that a body has to be developed for each plane, and the corresponding animation, so that the limbs would move with the yoke or the throttle.

If yes then it would be a lot of work. I know that mods have to be free, but personally I would agree to pay something so that LizLemon or whoever can do it could do the painstaking work of having the right body and limbs position and animations (throttle motion etc.) for each plane. I am sure I am not the only one thinking like this.

Anyway, what we have is already a very big step. And when I turn my head to look through the window and see my left or right arm then I know I am in the plane. 

Now when I get shot I see blood on my pilot uniform. No not yet. This is future work 🙂 

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2018 at 9:52 PM, DetCord12B said:

Great work, mate! Are you able to adjust the camera position of the pilots head?

What do you mean? The default camera position?

5 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

By positioning the Pilot head position well centered according to the body, and limiting the down view one can avoid looking through the head hole in the body.🙂

This can by done but the view through the body isnt an issue for the winter pilots that have that area covered.

On 8/8/2018 at 4:45 AM, bzc3lk said:

Something I have noticed though, is the Fw 190 winter pilot still has his head modeled in the cockpit position causing "head/goggle artifacts" when viewed from the cockpit. The summer pilot is fine.

Working on fixing it.

Icky, hands moving with yoke and throttle have nothing to do with animating the limbs per se. The control yoke is animated, the hands are “stuck” to it and follow along. Thus with regard to yoke/rudder pedals it’s not an issue - there’s no animation going on in the sense that most might assume. It's simple inverse kinematics based on yoke or pedal position.

Moving arms to a dial or switch - different story. 

38 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Icky, hands moving with yoke and throttle have nothing to do with animating the limbs per se. The control yoke is animated, the hands are “stuck” to it and follow along.

I thought this at first too but this isnt the case.

39 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

I thought this at first too but this isnt the case.

Really? Based on what exactly?

I’m genuinely asking, not challenging you.

I see, so when you do that the pilot animates based on the other aircraft.

So each animation is derived as I described, and “baked” based on the control movements of that aircraft.

We still arrive in the same place.

Edited by Gambit21

Thank you for this mod.  Always thought seeing your body was an important aspect of immersion.  Wish the devs would implement it in the game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

I see, so when you do that the pilot animates based on the other aircraft.

So each animation is derived as I described, and “baked” based on the control movements of that aircraft.

The animations are not being done by attaching or hooking the extremities to the joystick and rudder pedals. The Pe2 and 111 animations remain the same no matter what aircraft they are placed in. This is because those two pilot models have additional animations lacking in the other pilot models.

26 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

The animations are not being done by attaching or hooking the extremities to the joystick and rudder pedals. The Pe2 and 111 animations remain the same no matter what aircraft they are placed in. This is because those two pilot models have additional animations lacking in the other pilot models.

I get it - that’s not what I mean.

We’re talking past each other a bit I think.

I’m speaking of how those animations were derived, then baked. That said I can’t explain 3D rigging/animation workflows here. 

Gambit21, I have the feeling that you seem to be I would say a little "negative" about this whole thread and I frankly don't understand it. 

I think you should be supportive of the efforts made by the members of the community that try to improve the game.

As a tester you should be happy to have new features etc. added and even push for new features from the Devs.

I don't see Gambit as being  negative, simply inquisitive too understand the mechanics of how the mod is working. Sharing and understanding how this works can help others and the more people understand it, then more can work on it and build fully animated versions for other cockpits. 

Sharing of information and ideas is the best way to progress forward with any modding. 

Great work LizLemon, I hope you can carry on with this and all cockpits will get a pilot body. 

I did ask for this in Clod but it was seen as pointless. Personally I feel it adds much more to the immersion and feeling of being there. 

Next feature for the body would be to be able to click a pocket and the map screen would open :)

Cheers, MP

The truth is that the pilot has always been there, but it has been visible from the outside not inside cockpit, if you edit the respective pilot file, for example botpilot_bf109.txt file for Bf109 pilot here located in extracted game files in :

..\luascripts\worldobjects\bots) you will make it visible from inside the cockpit.
In the respective pilot file there is a line: (for example Bf109 pilot here)
Visual Image = 2, "graphics / characters / Pilot_Bf109 / Pilot_Bf109_% s.mgm", true
The value of VisualImage determines the animated pilot visibility in cockpit if:
VisualImage = 0 The pilot is visible both from the inside and outside cockpit .
VisualImage = 1 pilot is visible from inside cockpit and invisible from outside
VisualImage = 2 pilot is visible from the outside and invisible from inside cockpit.
And as far as the pilot animation is concerned, the fighter pilot animation is just the eyes candy and does not follow your hands and foots movement on joystick and pedals, but the animation for the bomber pilot follows your hands and foots movement on joystick and pedals.

5 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

I frankly don't understand...

No - you don't. Nothing you said has any relation to reality and what's actually going on.

That includes your "pushing for new features" remark. You have ZERO idea what conversations happen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/10/2018 at 11:17 AM, IckyATLAS said:

I have tested it and frankly it is not bad at all. On the Pe-2 the limbs move perfectly with the control wheel, rotation as well as back and forth.

In certain planes position of limbs is good in some it is not, but it is not an immersion killer.

By positioning the Pilot head position well centered according to the body, and limiting the down view one can avoid looking through the head hole in the body.

Does this mean that a body has to be developed for each plane, and the corresponding animation, so that the limbs would move with the yoke or the throttle.

If yes then it would be a lot of work. I know that mods have to be free, but personally I would agree to pay something so that LizLemon or whoever can do it could do the painstaking work of having the right body and limbs position and animations (throttle motion etc.) for each plane. I am sure I am not the only one thinking like this.

Anyway, what we have is already a very big step. And when I turn my head to look through the window and see my left or right arm then I know I am in the plane. 

Now when I get shot I see blood on my pilot uniform. No not yet. This is future work 🙂 

Oh well, carry on then.

Gosh, this adds so much to the game it's ridiculous. I can't understand why the devs refuse to do this officially. All they need to do is chop off the head and glue the hands to the throttle and stick. I hate to use War Thunder as an example but they do this and it works just fine. Just add a body visibility setting and everybody's happy. 

The only issue I could see is what to do when you draw your sidearm. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they could think of something. Heck, maybe just have an animation change to grab the stick with your left arm. Or, even less work, just grab the gun with your left hand.

Edited by Stilicho
  • Like 1

Sweet! Something I've wanted since IL2 first came out years ago... Not like in a real plane you can't see your body!

Great job. Keep up the good work, looking forward for the evolution.

Thanks.

Where do I have to put those files ( PP animation fix ) ?

Thank you

Took some time but finally got it working.  Very nice and with some tweaking a wonderful addition!!!

Can anyone please, explain, how to make this mod working? 

Fantastic!

If an able member of the community can do something like that what team of experienced professionals could do?

Since there is no clickable cockpits it should be natural for IL2:GB team to code pilots bodies and gain an advantege it this regard against DCS when you have to often switch off pilot's body to click some hidden button.

Probably lack of time is one of factors here - they are coding Bodenplatte planes and new technologies for them, chcecking fly model of Po-2 and some issues with tanks in the meantime.

Thanks LizLemon, great job!

Edited by bies

Had a little stick time today and must say, even though this effect needs some polishing, it really ups the immersion factor.  Now the cockpit doesn't feel empty.  Thank you!

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, Milopapa said:

Can't wait to try this! 

Now, devs, listen up. This is a must have feature when it comes to immersion in VR. Please take this seriously and implement an official solution. 

Thank you! 

Salutations,

Is this of any graphical or immersive benefit for Non VR pilots?

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, LizLemon said:

The pilot models are already rigged and animated. Check the Pe-2 and He-111, both have hands on yoke and feet on the rudder pedals. The models used by the other aircraft are rigged too, they just dont have the additional animations of the twin engines.

If this is indeed the case.... the developers only need to offer up the required details and our 'modders' will correctly rig every pilot for every plane in the simulation.

The animations are 'baked' in for every aircraft, in other words there are no animation calculations happening in real time in the sim for pilot models.

They are done in the 3D app, most likely Maya, then baked and exported to the game engine. Thus no rigging/animating is possible in the game engine itself.

So in order to mod a pilot to say, move his hand to a switch, you'd need Maya plus and SDK to get it working in the sim.

That's my understanding so far unless and until I see more info indicating otherwise.

5 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

So in order to mod a pilot to say, move his hand to a switch, you'd need Maya plus and SDK to get it working in the sim.

Has anybody in this thread actually asked for that? Come to think of it, has any flight sim ever done that? All I want them to do is have the model that they already have made visible, with hands attached to the throttle and stick, with a key to make it invisible in case there is a button or gauge it would obstruct. War Thunder, Elite, Star Citizen, DCS....heck, can you think of any modern sims other than IL2 and RoF that don't do that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stilicho said:

Has anybody in this thread actually asked for that?

My main point was about the apparently already existing rigging and animations.

7 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

That's my understanding so far unless and until I see more info indicating otherwise.

Yes, that's more or less how it is. The developers probably have a script for Max/Maya/whatever that exports the geometry, materials, and animations as .mgm files that are used by Il-2.

To do any animations, you need get the geometry from these files and then re-export it back to .mgm for the game to use. The former is doable, but the latter is rather difficult as no specification is available for the format. If anyone has time to spare and wants to assist Il-2 modding, figuring it out is the ultimate challenge short of getting the source code.

7 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

You'd also probably need some way for the animation to know that a certain switch is being used. I don't know how that system works.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

Hi I'm new here and have only been flying this sim for a week . I have only just managed to get a rig that can run it!   I'm still in shock at the level of detail and the amazing graphics and now this!  I'ts almost too much!  I've been with IL2 from the beginning and have often asked and wondered why this wasn't  implemented from the start , like the old racing game Grand Prix Legends was just a simple hands on the steering wheel and changing gear animation. It really helped with game immersion. I agree with Stilcho  , hands on stick and throttle and feet linked to rudder peddles would be fantastic. Thank you LizLemon.

Edited by Jameswildwood

Great mod, and what I wanted from the start of the original IL2... Wonder if I'm doing something wrong as the pilot's hands don't follow the throttle or stick. I presume that's the animation fix files, but don't they go in the same place in the data folder?

Thx

Very nice in VR! Thank you  Any plans to add the Ju52 and Spit IX?