Jason_Williams

Developer Diary, Part 197 - Discussion

2 minutes ago, Johnny-Red said:

The pilot modelling artwork is looking beautiful and I'm thouroughly looking forward to seeing all those venerable icons of the first air war live again in the latest simulation engine.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the Entente airman bears an eerily striking resemblance to be Captain "Uncle" Sinclair from Aces High (played by actor Christoper Plummer). Bloody good chap! What what?

Christopher%20Plummer%20%20Aces%20High%2

I thought it was Fairfax or Carstairs?

20141110211909049.jpg

• Haha 3

Day one purchase for sure.  Working those rudder pedals and swinging your head around in VR is going to be intense!!  😄

Good work 

Just a quick note about the new drivers, I find them a little old at the age.

At the end of the conflict, was not he much younger ?

11 minutes ago, Pollux said:

Good work 

Just a quick note about the new drivers, I find them a little old at the age.

At the end of the conflict, was not he much younger ?

Stress took it’s toll on the pilots. There’s a photo of Boelcke where he looks 40.

I was hoping that the flight model would incorporate some of the new fuselage physics (hopefully making the aircraft less twitchy and requiring less joystick tweaking). That said, I'm extremely happy, and knowing the team I wouldn't be surprised to see some flight model improvements over the next couple of years if this succeeds!

The other thing this project could really do with is having engine variants (a feature already in Il-2 Sturmovik). In RoF it was hard to properly simulate some months of the war because aircraft had engines from the wrong periods (and this gave them a different set of advantages/disadvantages).

Also - Any word on the damage model or ballistics changes?

In any case, I will pre-order as soon as it is possible!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

I was hoping that the flight model would incorporate some of the new fuselage physics (hopefully making the aircraft less twitchy and requiring less joystick tweaking). That said, I'm extremely happy, and knowing the team I wouldn't be surprised to see some flight model improvements over the next couple of years if this succeeds!

The other thing this project could really do with is having engine variants (a feature already in Il-2 Sturmovik). In RoF it was hard to properly simulate some months of the war because aircraft had engines from the wrong periods (and this gave them a different set of advantages/disadvantages).

Also - Any word on the damage model or ballistics changes?

In any case, I will pre-order as soon as it is possible!

DM is what I am most concerned about.  Un-modded RoF encouraged people to aim at the wings rather than at the cockpit area, which cannot be right.  Taking off wings with a few machine gun bullets is just not on, and canvas fuselages are not bullet sponges. 

The suspense is killing me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kendo said:

Really?! imho the new FC shots look so much better and more natural. i can't see why you would want to go back to the ROF look - some of those shots look like there is fluorescent strip lighting along the planes. Remember these aircraft are canvas and wood.

xdLeEhW.jpg

Video here. And it is 480p, so we should have a much better view of reflection, volume and shadows in real life. And this is just one video. And whoever flies ROF knows how it helps spotting in combat.

Not saying that ROF is perfect, but we can see wings lit up down on the deck (which is real) and glare just as such as the one in the photo above. In fact looks like they enabled bloom in the center photo above (just kidding). On the top right, the plane is lit up from prop to tail.

Don't take me wrong, I'm just giving my feedback so they might have it in mind while doing the map if they think it is relevant, and this is the right time to give feedback (before they release the official version), and I just loved the pilot figures and the cockpit is looking good.

Edited by SeaW0lf
  • Upvote 3

Will I be able to shoot down a Camel in my 262 though?

Basically is FC just going to work with IL BOX series like a normal release aka we can select any mix of aircraft (WW1 vs WW2) on any map in QMB? :salute:

Just now, Bullets said:

Will I be able to shoot down a Camel in my 262 though?

Basically is FC just going to work with IL BOX series like a normal release aka we can select any mix of aircraft (WW1 vs WW2) on any map in QMB? :salute:

It kind of sounds like it - maybe. Sounds like they are planning to release a couple of the FC aircraft later this month, pretty sure the FC map will not be ready that soon - but who knows.

Not my favorites in RoFexactly. The Spad is a fast, ham-fisted in the turns with rotten visibility from the cockpit aircraft,while the the Dr-1is nimble but slow with not quite so bad visibilty from the cockpit aircraft.Still I'm all in....i wonder if we'll be given some other AI aircraft to play with as well? As to VR- wonderful & what a game changer it has proved for me in BoX ! I 've come to a full stop with RoF until FC comes out.I hope maps,clouds  & landscape match Box standards...I always though RoF was a little "Disney-like"...

Personally i would prefer not to mix WWI with WWII.

One funny fight between 262 and Camel for joke in not worth sacrificing specific WWI mood.

War Thunder does it, DCS does it and this fantasy mix is one of the biggest drawback of them.

However if it would be just an option without sacrificing WWI character it would be ok.

People has to choose. Having all of the options is great. The mission designer or you in a QMB has the option to choose wich aircraft will fly. I don't want to start second exes or something like that.

Edited by LF_ManuV
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MicEzo said:

Personally i would prefer not to mix WWI with WWII.

One funny fight between 262 and Camel for joke in not worth sacrificing specific WWI mood.

War Thunder does it, DCS does it and this fantasy mix is one of the biggest drawback of them.

However if it would be just an option without sacrificing WWI character it would be ok.

On a serious side it was more asking can we use the FC aircraft on all current BOX maps :salute: (Flying them with other era aircraft is just a bonus, I want to get some pretty shots of a camel flying next to the spitfire!) ☺️

Stall speed of Me 262 with full flaps, gear out and full fuel is higher than max. speed of DreiDecker (~200 km/h vs ~180 km/h). Would be fun to try a formation flight. :)

You could fly a 190 or 109 with a fokker d.vii though! 

It is crazy to think there was only 20 years between the wars when you look at the difference between the aircraft. 

Edited by AeroAce
  • Upvote 3

@Jason_Williams

Hello Jason,

In the Announcements you talked about the improved Visuals, VR, DX11 and 64bit. However, the Improvements Il-2 made also Include many Factors in the AI, mostly the Gunners remaining in their Stations under attack, Formation etc. Will they be implemented as well?

Secondly I wonder if you consider bringing some of the Improvements of the Physics Engine as well, mostly the Landing Gear and Roll/Yaw Fix and how will the RoF Aircraft handle Il-2 Style Terrain?

Thirdly about improving some of the Aircraft themselves, mostly concerning Flight Models, and Aircraft Modelled. What I mean is that some of the Engine Choices, mostly concerning the Albatros D.Va and Fokker D.VII as well as Sopwith Camel. The Albatros and Fokker both are using Engine/Propelller Combinations not common on the Main Production Type. They should use the Over Compressing Mercedes D.IIIaü which deliver 20 to 40 more [nice try], and were the main fitting in Production Types.

The Propellers on these also feel somewhat "off" in that they seem to be almost fully Stalled at low Speeds, as can be seen by the RPM dropping at 120kph, in the D.VII, which gives it extremely subpar Acceleration and Aerobatic Performance at low Speed. 

Not to Forget: A Bentley powered Camel would also be lovely at some Point. And maybe even a Bentley Dr.I

Fourthly: How will the Modifications System be handled? Will it be as in Il-2? I always found the RoF GUI a bit finniky and the Il-2 Interface would satisfy me.

Fifthly: Let me throw Money at you please, it seems to be far enough to release to Early Access, so why not? 

Love and Kisses

Klaus

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann
It is horsepower...you know it perfectly
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

It is crazy to think there was only 20 years between the wars when you look at the difference between the aircraft. 

This always trips me out too and I've started to like learning about different aircraft and their advancements. Especially when I look at the WWII era and see how much planes advanced in just a 6 year period. It's crazy how vastly improved the planes of 1944-1945 are compared to the planes of 1939. Can't wait to learn more about the earlier WWI planes.

Edited by obit

5 hours ago, Johnny-Red said:

Also, has anyone else noticed that the Entente airman bears an eerily striking resemblance to be Captain "Uncle" Sinclair from Aces High (played by actor Christoper Plummer). Bloody good chap! What what?

Christopher%20Plummer%20%20Aces%20High%2

I thought it was more Tom Hardy-ish (which means my wife might start playing😮)

It might be nice if a FC career could be continued into the ww2 era. .. saying that, I can't get near finishing the ww2 career...yet 

Since last patch, the game won`t start. If the loadscreen opened and I click the "start" button, my screen turn into black but after 3-5 seconds it broke up and I can see my desktop.

If there a answer or have I do a new installation?

I'll be honest, not the biggest WW1 fan. I love my WW2 birds. But I did buy RoF and I will buy this to support the team. Maybe I'll learn to love it again.

• Like 1

I'm surprised to see the lighting differences between RoF and IL-2. I guess you don't really notice when you're just playing a single title.

Awesome. No pre order, booo, booo, hiss, hiss🤬. Later this month, YEA, I am in!

TAKE MY MONEY! $$$$

S!Blade<><

Just point me towards the receptacle in which I should deposit my money. I've been waiting for this ever since I first flew in VR.

So anyone who owns the Il-2 BOX games gets early access? That's pretty cool!

4 minutes ago, bucket_109 said:

So anyone who owns the Il-2 BOX games gets early access? That's pretty cool!

No I don't think so. You'll need to buy the new sim to join in the early access.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Edit: looks like it's fixed now, great 😀

This is amazing, but could you please fix the VR experience on WMR headsets? Last time I checked, the cockpit scaling was tiny and the planes felt like toys.

Contrary to their poor marketing, WMR headsets are a great choice for VR games and especially flight sims! I can't afford to buy a Rift or Vive just for IL-2 sims.

Edited by TheGreatCabbage

Looking forward to it. Do wish the HP and Gotha were in volume 1 though, like dropping those big boomers 😄

12 hours ago, unreasonable said:

Funny that you mentioned Skyrim. I gave Jason advice on the route to personal financial mega-wealth and endless subsidy for WW1/2 sims years ago, without even asking for my usual consulting fee.

The answer is, as any fule kno, dragons.  RoF already had wing warping. A few dragons with amazon riders in chain mail bikinis and this whole franchise could have hundreds of people - and even a few elves -  working on it.  Also good steam reviews. ;)  

You jest, but a few times I was playing BoM and my daughter was fighting a dragon in Skyrim, the dragon fight music came on, and I quick checked my six expecting to an Elder Dragon saddling up for a RedKestrel BBQ

Well done.

Very much looking forward to Flying Circus, as I have been a Rise of Flight armchair pilot for years.

12 hours ago, NN_RugbyGoth said:

I mean, do you plan to release it at the same price as Bodenplatte and other Great Battles title, or will you consider reducing the price according to the not yet included features?
Also do you plan to give some kind of discount to those who already own lots of ROF modules so that they will easily jump into the new engine?

12 hours ago, Freycinet said:

Better yet, why not just release all these titles for free and set up a Patreon account where people can donate if they think the product is good? - After all, Hard Work Is Its Own Reward. 

12 hours ago, NN_RugbyGoth said:

No need to be sarcastic, it's a real question as I can see lot of people from ROF asking why they should buy the new product. And this product will not include things we have with the other ones, so the price tag is a real question.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on board since 2014 and brought everything from the site in EA to support the devs, but as they expand their catalog, the price of each item is something to be concerned about mainly when they say they used features from older products. Of course I want them to expand their revenue as they said but my guess is that with the same price tag on FC chapter 1 than on BoBp they perhaps will have some issue into bringing the old pilots of ROF here, but I could be wrong too.

Compared to the price of the hardware you will need to run FC....

Compared to the amount of time you will spend with the sim (and seeing what cinema tickets would cost you for the same amount of time)....

...The price of the sim will be really insignificant.

Also, I don't just want the developers to scrape by. I want them to earn so well that they're highly motivated to keep publishing new titles.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, obit said:

This always trips me out too and I've started to like learning about different aircraft and their advancements. Especially when I look at the WWII era and see how much planes advanced in just a 6 year period. It's crazy how vastly improved the planes of 1944-1945 are compared to the planes of 1939. Can't wait to learn more about the earlier WWI planes.

Just imagine if the result of the war depended on curing cancer....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Good for WW1 jocks, personally, I'm not that much interested in it. They put BoBP into the timeline first, so I expect all ressources to get put towards completing it, as well as improving the current VR implementation - there is terrific headroom for improvement - VRWorks' Lens Matched Shading is part of Oculus' SDK now and could improve performance. And Single Pass Stereo would solve the undeniable issues IL-2 has in VR on how the engine handles the CPU load. It could almost half the requirement on single core clocks and bring it into line with the monitor version of IL-2. Then it could be predicated "fantastic". 

It could make VR playable to Ryzen users as well, those who don't possess a CPU going faster than 4.6GHz, and improve performance considerably for anyone else.

I'd hold off with any WW1 purchases until VR gets improved. There's lots of room for that. 👍

I'd just like to see them revisit the VR limits in the cockpits, I would literally pay money to have somebody fix those. Some are alright, mainly the russian planes aren't too bad but sitting in the FW190 is like being in a small coffin, you can barely turn your head in game. And all the planes need to allow you lean far closer to the gunsight, I like the limiter cause it stops my head from popping out of the plane but it's far too restrictive in most of the planes. The JU-88 is really bad, you can barely move in it even though the cockpit is huge. I would imagine this would just require editing some parameters in a file? I don't want to pretend I know how hard this would be to fix but it just absolutely hampers our ability in game to move around. I hope every single patch for a small release note saying VR limiter has been looked at.

• Upvote 5