Jason_Williams

Developer Diary, Part 197 - Discussion

Am I the only one getting excited by the tyre treads on the Fokker?

Wow, so happy this is about to happen. Day 1 ROF and VR enthusiast.  (Jason, I still remember following the forum as you and your crew were personally shipping out DVDs that day!)

WWI air combat screams for VR. I will also purchase TC to express my gratitude and support continued development.

So are we talking early-mid, mid or late July???

A little computer gaming nostalgia (Atari 800, Amiga, PC) while we wait for EA.

blue_max_synapse_d7.jpg.40f1e77df6d037c0ed7accef1e5db8d4.jpg8111rmebgPL._SY445_.jpg.2d5d99b287ba1571f8412037b68e4d37.jpg220px-Red_Baron_Coverart.png.2c948ccec3e008f64b11b35a6c5182e7.png7193IK55bYL._AC_SX215_.jpg.5b97cc5986068998411626ff91d4131e.jpg

Edited by Stachel
resized images
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BorysVorobyov said:

Am I the only one getting excited by the tyre treads on the Fokker?

You seem to be the only one with a rubber fetish...   😁

As much as I love the new pilot models, better mesh and resolution with the 4K graphics and the VR opportunity, IMO, not to offend anybody. I believe that Flying Circus Vol.1 will be popular after the release of Vol.2 or 3, depending on what content they’ll contain. One thing I hope is that there will be aircraft in Flying Circus that weren’t in Rise of Flight.

This month!! That´s a very nice surprise!

ROF brought me back to flight sims some years ago, but VR is really the game changer for Flight Sim.

I am delighted to see here many folks going to VR.

Many thanks Jason and team for making it possible!!

I am preparing a big fan and a scarf for those cockpits!  (Just joking, but maybe I will try)

12 hours ago, Bidu said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences, guys.

As to wearing glasses behind the VR lenses, some people have shown concern they might scratch either, as there's not much space in there.

I understand your concern, and there is indeed not much space between my glasses and the lenses, but I have never experienced that they touched. I never even thought about it until now. I tried it just a few moments ago before posting this reply, and I think that if you are careful when putting the VR on (which I always am anyway), there is no real danger.

1 hour ago, Stickshaker said:

I understand your concern, and there is indeed not much space between my glasses and the lenses, but I have never experienced that they touched. I never even thought about it until now. I tried it just a few moments ago before posting this reply, and I think that if you are careful when putting the VR on (which I always am anyway), there is no real danger.

I read somewhere there is a company (from Germany?) providing custom lenses for VR (comes with some frame to hold them within the VR) for something like $100. But someone got his lenses and a 3d-printer frame solution for around $25. Of course you'd have to get updates for those lenses as you get for your glasses, unless your sight is not changing at that specific focus range.

13 hours ago, Bidu said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences, guys.

As to wearing glasses behind the VR lenses, some people have shown concern they might scratch either, as there's not much space in there.

I've never had my glasses actually touch the VR HMD lens, so no scratches that way;  I switched to prescription lens inserts for my Vive and have no issues there, either.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bidu said:

I read somewhere there is a company (from Germany?) providing custom lenses for VR (comes with some frame to hold them within the VR) for something like $100. But someone got his lenses and a 3d-printer frame solution for around $25. Of course you'd have to get updates for those lenses as you get for your glasses, unless your sight is not changing at that specific focus range.

I was one of the guys who got the prescription lens inserts for my Rift for about $25 (including shipping) last year.  It was a combination of 3D-printed frame/holders and a specific pair of cheap glasses from Zenni Optical that the 3D-printed frames were designed to work with.  They have worked great for me, and are much easier than trying to get the HMD on and off over my glasses (which is possible, but klunky).  And they are easy to take in and out, for when I want to let one of my sons try out my VR setup.  Not sure if there's a similar option for the other VR HMDs, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Google search would find such a solution (that's how I found my Rift solution).

• Upvote 1

Looking great! I'll be picking a copy as soon as it is out this month. Very excited!

13 minutes ago, ST_ami7b5 said:

Money already transferred to my PayPal account :)

Down boy ! Settle.. settle..

• Haha 1

i didn't think I was that excited about FC, due to only having gotten all of RoF last year. 

Turns out I was wrong. I am very excited indeed.

It will be so nice to return to Flander Fields 🙂 

I'm afraid only one thing when it comes to IL2 engine: this subtitle chat i can't turn off during server creation. It is giving a big advantage providing you different information without need to look at the cockpit gauges, but it kills the mood.

Without the ability to turn this off as server creator it would make Flying Circus a shallower experience than Rise of Flight (but with better audio visual aspect).

Ahoy!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Can’t wait to try with my new Vive Pro. Maybe I can convince my sqn to give the Il2 Universe a chance. No ETA on EA for FC I guess beside „this month“? Come on Jason bring your baby to the store ;)

I have decided to go all-in with my custom-built cockpit for this sim. Not only will I have an industry-grade fan blowing in my face. I will also install a castor-oil dispenser which will send a fine mist of laxative into my face while I fly. This sim will truly be the sh*tz! - Can't wait to try this new level of realism.

• Haha 4

Jason, I am throwing wadded up 20 dollar bills at the screen but nothing is happening - please remedy.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Brings me back to when I got that sweet ROF dvd in the mail. Man almost ten years later.

2 hours ago, Stachel said:

Jason, I am throwing wadded up 20 dollar bills at the screen but nothing is happening - please remedy.

You're doing it wrong, you have to send the money by mail to get early access.

Luckily, I am an authorized mail forwarder for Jason. Just send the cash to the following address and I'll make sure the cash get to him.

RedKestrel
The Prince's House
123 Totallyreal Street
Abuja, Nigeria

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Looking gorgeous, I especially love the look of the Fokker Dr.I and the masked German aviator with a dashing red scarf!

I've finally begun to venture properly into multiplayer, and Flying Circus especially will be perfect for a multiplayer-noob with experience of WWI planes from Rise of Flight.

And now we wait

... Any guesses as to how soon this month?

Edited by Kreisau

11 minutes ago, Kreisau said:

Looking gorgeous, I especially love the look of the Fokker Dr.I and the masked German aviator with a dashing red scarf!

I've finally begun to venture properly into multiplayer, and Flying Circus especially will be perfect for a multiplayer-noob with experience of WWI planes from Rise of Flight.

And now we wait

... Any guesses as to how soon this month?

Any time I see a question such as that asked, how soon - there is a little voice in the very back of my mind that whispers...

"two weeks be sure".

;)

Edited by dburne
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, dburne said:

Any time I see a question such as that asked, how soon - there is a little voice in the very back of my mind that whispers...

"two weeks be sure".

;)

OMG, this just shows how long we have been part the Il-2 world:crazy:^^

• Haha 1

I suspect I will be in the minority, but I would prefer to witness expansion of the IL-2 franchise.  ROF looks to be nicely done and so on.  I, however, have preferences in BOS, BOM, BOK and can't wait for BOBP to be released.  (It should be no surprise that I purchased BOBP as soon as it was available.)  At any rate, this company is putting together some great stuff.  Keep up the good work!

7 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

This is expansion of the IL2 franchise ;)

S!

Yep!:salute:

Nice to have EA so soon after the announcement. Looking forward to it!

This is Great!!! news I remember talking about this when we were flying around in RoF, years ago. I knew you wouldn't let us down Jason! I will of course purchase, pre-order all content, just keep it coming.    

Really hoping for a substantial update today. I haven't experienced this level of excitement (or impatience) for a sim in a long while. We need to get into the skies - those virtual planes aren't gonna shoot themselves down!

blue-max-3.jpg.f0b7ba93ea74cc359375314ae158bae8.jpg

News regarding TC would also be welcome. Found this and looks really good for early proof-of-concept - IL-2 Great Battles: Ready For Tank Crew (IL-2 Tanks Gameplay)

• Upvote 1

Nothing really important but what about the age of WW1 pilots? How old is he? Recon officer? Pilot model is insane, however.

_Pilot_fra_1.jpg

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro

That's a render.  Not in-game.  You'll have to imagine it simplified somewhat.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 150GCT_Veltro said:

Nothing really important but what about the age of WW1 pilots? How old is he? Recon officer? Pilot model is insane, however.

_Pilot_fra_1.jpg

Average user :)

Edited by ST_ami7b5
  • Haha 3

Will there be those campaigns specific awards in the late western front such as the availability of the gold Knights cross with diamonds and swords which was awarded to Hans Ulrich Rudel? It was at this timeline the awards such as gold Knights cross with diamonds and swords plus the gold and diamonds German cross was available although the German cross was not awarded...but it was there. I am hoping to see this. I do not mind the the exclusion of swastika and such.

13 minutes ago, jojy47jojyrocks said:

Will there be those campaigns specific awards in the late western front such as the availability of the gold Knights cross with diamonds and swords which was awarded to Hans Ulrich Rudel? It was at this timeline the awards such as gold Knights cross with diamonds and swords plus the gold and diamonds German cross was available although the German cross was not awarded...but it was there. I am hoping to see this. I do not mind the the exclusion of swastika and such.

Just curious...

Why would they model HUR's one-off propaganda medal?

Why would they model an award that was never even awarded?