Jason_Williams

Developer Diary, Part 197 - Discussion

It will be easy buy for me. I never really got into RoF (even though I own quite much of it) and this will be chance to get into WW1 stuff from the beginning!

• Upvote 1

Wow it looks fantastic!

At the first glance i have noticed some screens are so great and realistic and some just are just good so i was a little bit dissapointed. 

Then i realized just good were from old RoF for comparition :)

I'm eager to buy from day 1.

Pilots models also looks grat, nearly too good and too detailed for flight sim, but since there were no closed canopies in WW1 and speed were slower there are legit to be that awesome and detailed.

It will be great to take off with friends seeing them inside the cockpit few meters from me.

Please separete WW1 in some way from WW2 to have the unique WW1 atmosphere like in Rise of Flight.;)

Edited by bies

when can I pre-order? That's all I need to know. My wallet is ready 💸

4 minutes ago, LuSi_6 said:

when can I pre-order? That's all I need to know. My wallet is ready 💸

No. They already stated there will be no preorder. Early Access will come later this month, you'll be able to get it then

I hope a lot was learned from past mistakes and new maps will be created in different volumes with proper airplanes instead of XY amount of planes and no progression in anything else. 

Great news, I'm not (yet) a WWI virtual pilot but I'm concerned about one thing. FC will be, as a standalone, pretty poor with no campaign and a rather small map compared to other Great Battle products and I'm asking myself : "What will be the price for this?"

I mean, do you plan to release it at the same price as Bodenplatte and other Great Battles title, or will you consider reducing the price according to the not yet included features?
Also do you plan to give some kind of discount to those who already own lots of ROF modules so that they will easily jump into the new engine?

As said I'm not YET a WWI virtual pilot and I'm considering it, but honestly with 3 titles coming so close from each others the price begins to be a concern, I fear my WAF is decreasing on this side...

Anyway great job once again!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NN_RugbyGoth said:

Great news, I'm not (yet) a WWI virtual pilot but I'm concerned about one thing. FC will be, as a standalone, pretty poor with no campaign and a rather small map compared to other Great Battle products and I'm asking myself : "What will be the price for this?"

I mean, do you plan to release it at the same price as Bodenplatte and other Great Battles title, or will you consider reducing the price according to the not yet included features?
Also do you plan to give some kind of discount to those who already own lots of ROF modules so that they will easily jump into the new engine?

As said I'm not YET a WWI virtual pilot and I'm considering it, but honestly with 3 titles coming so close from each others the price begins to be a concern, I fear my WAF is decreasing on this side...

Anyway great job once again!

It will work the same as any other GB product. You can buy into EA or not. EA simply means that content will be released as it is created. If you don't buy into EA, you can purchase the full release when it is ready at the full release date. It is the same thing happening now with BoBp and that happened with BoS, BoM, and BoK. Right now we fly the G14 and Spit IX over other maps in QMB until the rest of BoBp comes along. 

15 minutes ago, NN_RugbyGoth said:

Better yet, why not just release all these titles for free and set up a Patreon account where people can donate if they think the product is good? - After all, Hard Work Is Its Own Reward. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Freycinet said:

Better yet, why not just release all these titles for free and set up a Patreon account where people can donate if they think the product is good? - After all, Hard Work Is Its Own Reward. 

No need to be sarcastic, it's a real question as I can see lot of people from ROF asking why they should buy the new product. And this product will not include things we have with the other ones, so the price tag is a real question.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on board since 2014 and brought everything from the site in EA to support the devs, but as they expand their catalog, the price of each item is something to be concerned about mainly when they say they used features from older products. Of course I want them to expand their revenue as they said but my guess is that with the same price tag on FC chapter 1 than on BoBp they perhaps will have some issue into bringing the old pilots of ROF here, but I could be wrong too.

• Like 1

I look at it this way. Paying for FC is paying for RoF to be ported into a modernised engine with many upgrades. It is paying for VR capability. It is paying for higher resolution textures and higher poly models. It is paying for new pilot models and new maps. It is paying for RoF to be basically fully overhauled, updated and brought inline with the rest of the products in order to benefit from regular updates again. If someone is a big fan of RoF it behooves them to invest in FC because it is the future of RoF. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 9

Jason, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!!!

Years awaiting for a reworked RoF and I have Oculus now.

Don't forget bring back the bombers again.

All sounding great!!

Really looking forward to flying these WWI birds in VR.

51 minutes ago, NN_RugbyGoth said:

No need to be sarcastic, it's a real question as I can see lot of people from ROF asking why they should buy the new product. And this product will not include things we have with the other ones, so the price tag is a real question.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on board since 2014 and brought everything from the site in EA to support the devs, but as they expand their catalog, the price of each item is something to be concerned about mainly when they say they used features from older products. Of course I want them to expand their revenue as they said but my guess is that with the same price tag on FC chapter 1 than on BoBp they perhaps will have some issue into bringing the old pilots of ROF here, but I could be wrong too.

I‘m quite sure, if you tried the future FC, you would never want to go back.

Besides, VR should really be „game changer“ here, literally. If it was solely about content, we‘d still be playing Red Baron.

• Upvote 1

Amazing pilot models; damn near photo realistic.

Honestly, I barely know one WW1 plane from another but I'll buy and I'll fly. And I'll learn.

Kudos team for making this happen.

Being a big fan of RoF and Beta Tester for it this news blew me away yesterday. Yesterday my Vive Pro (too expensive of course) arrived for my VR setup. Perfect coincidence. So I will be able to play this month already? And ETA week for this month?

Not much of the new pilot models will be seen below the shoulders.  Will it be possible for pilots to exit a burning aircraft in Flying Circus, either with or without parachutes?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

The fact that this is being built to last, and for VR! I can tell you it looks amazing in VR, I been trying to get ROF to work in 3D and could never get it to work. Now with this announcement, I can assure you these WWI planes look fantastic from with in VR! 

Agreed. VR could be the way to play this new title. I don't have VR, and am unlikely to for a while, but I can imagine VR in an open cockpit must be something else indeed.

We have decided to choose a plane-set that represents the period of April-May 1918. This period offers some great planes that will provide lots of fun match-ups. 

The April - May part makes me wonder if Fokker D.VII will have the BMW engine option removed...

When ROF first came out I was very impressed; so when the Iron Cross edition came out later, I bought that as well.

WWII flight sims are my thing, can't wait for BOBP: but of course I will buy FC and the tanks 😊

Great news.

Although I don't fly as much as I used to anymore, because of several reasons, you'll have my support for WWII, WWI and the Tank stuff.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

27 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Not much of the new pilot models will be seen below the shoulders.  Will it be possible for pilots to exit a burning aircraft in Flying Circus, either with or without parachutes?

I'm looking forward to the Pilot/Gunner eye candy when the Bombers are released in future editions. Just imagine this guy and the Landscape detail done to the latest specs in VR . :good:

Gunner.jpg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NN_RugbyGoth said:

I can say only one thing - FC is not the same like old RoF. Sure, basic planes are the same but - they are different. Feeling from flight is much much realistic. Im in RoF from era, when developers were from Neoqb. When i tested "new" planes i was simply stunned. Thats all what i can say in this moment. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

The pilot models are coming out gorgeous, very realistic. The cockpit looks good as well. Good to know that the project is already in progress.

Good to know that the the feeling of flight is improved (Baron post).

I just noted that the reflection / glare (not gloom) on the aircraft surface are very pale in comparison to ROF. I hope this is part of the initial stage and that it will improve further, because it is paramount for combat spotting.

Godspeed,

What I really appreciate is, that several folks here already stated, that they are going for FC, even given the fact, that they're WWII guys. That's the spirit and I have high hopes, that Vol. 1 is going to be a success, so that more is to come. :)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

What I really appreciate is, that several folks here already stated, that they are going for FC, even given the fact, that they're WWII guys. That's the spirit and I have high hopes, that Vol. 1 is going to be a success, so that more is to come. :)

For all the WWII guys out there who never played Rise of Flight, welcome 😀

I hope many of you will fall in love with these older planes. Certainly the Fokker Dr.I will be something completely different, compared to Yaks and 109s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRXFv0MkOD4

Which reminds me, time for me to start actually learning the Dr.I. So far I've mainly managed to stay airborne most of the time, I would love to perform all kinds of aerobatics on this plane

Edited by Kreisau
  • Like 2

Good for WW1 jocks, personally, I'm not that much interested in it. They put BoBP into the timeline first, so I expect all ressources to get put towards completing it, as well as improving the current VR implementation - there is terrific headroom for improvement - VRWorks' Lens Matched Shading is part of Oculus' SDK now and could improve performance. And Single Pass Stereo would solve the undeniable issues IL-2 has in VR on how the engine handles the CPU load. It could almost half the requirement on single core clocks and bring it into line with the monitor version of IL-2. Then it could be predicated "fantastic". 

It could make VR playable to Ryzen users as well, those who don't possess a CPU going faster than 4.6GHz, and improve performance considerably for anyone else.

I'd hold off with any WW1 purchases until VR gets improved. There's lots of room for that. 👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Good for WW1 jocks, personally, I'm not that much interested in it. They put BoBP into the timeline first, so I expect all ressources to get put towards completing it, as well as improving the current VR implementation - there is terrific headroom for improvement - VRWorks' Lens Matched Shading is part of Oculus' SDK now and could improve performance. And Single Pass Stereo would solve the undeniable issues IL-2 has in VR on how the engine handles the CPU load. It could almost half the requirement on single core clocks and bring it into line with the monitor version of IL-2. Then it could be predicated "fantastic". 

It could make VR playable to Ryzen users as well, those who don't possess a CPU going faster than 4.6GHz, and improve performance considerably for anyone else.

I'd hold off with any WW1 purchases until VR gets improved. There's lots of room for that. 👍

Don't forget your 30 squad mates that are also not buying anything until their pet issue is fixed 🤣

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bidu said:

Admittedly, I am not the best judge on the look of things. I see dramatic progress on the pilots' looks compared with ROF. However, looking at the planes, I don't see the same level of progress. Actually, what I mean is this: ROF has a bit of "cartoonish" look to it. For me, it doesn't change the fact that it is the best game ever, and I'd play it forever. But in IL2 (which I don't really play often due to weird stutters) the WW2 planes seem to me to have gone beyond that "cartoonish" look and become most convincingly real. I hoped that might happen in FC, and I don't quite see it yet. Does anyone else feel this? I mean, they are not worse, I can certainly see more detail here and there. But is it yet at the same level of effort as those WW2 planes? Is it lacking castor oil all over? Ideas, anyone?

It's the saturation and the use of modern HDR techniques in IL-2 compared to RoF.

Rise of Flight has 75% saturation by default, which gives it a washed out "cinematic" look. You're used to this look, not how WW1 planes looked like in real life.

You can manually change this setting for Rise of Flight in startup.cfg by changing (or adding) the line:

saturation = 0.75000

Change it to

saturation = 0.90000

This will give you 90% saturation and a somewhat more accurate picture.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, unreasonable said:

Funny that you mentioned Skyrim.

I used to be a WWI flyer once, until I took an arrow in the knee...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

I can say only one thing - FC is not the same like old RoF. Sure, basic planes are the same but - they are different. Feeling from flight is much much realistic. Im in RoF from era, when developers were from Neoqb. When i tested "new" planes i was simply stunned. Thats all what i can say in this moment. 

I'm convinced that the new technology will help "the old planes" a LOT.

Also, I think Jaoson made the sensible chioce in getting the planes over "as they are", while improving on their geometry/polys and adding all the new tech that is in the Great Battle Series. I would assume getting things neat and pretty (plane/maps) is a much more common skill set that you can buy with 3rd party developpers that the FM tuning. It is good that they keep that aspect inhouse. It is where this team truly excells. Once there are enough sales on the FC series, there might be a chance to update some of the FM. The developpers for sure have been on a leearning curve here as well.

• Upvote 1

Basicly what I read here was if enough people buy and use this we will at some point get to planes that got my attention. AS long AS it must take I find that interesting. Thanks for the long DD, I hope this will be a success 

Sold!! I'll have one of each..... Here! take my cash!!!

1 hour ago, SeaW0lf said:

I just noted that the reflection / glare (not gloom) on the aircraft surface are very pale in comparison to ROF. I hope this is part of the initial stage and that it will improve further, because it is paramount for combat spotting.

Godspeed,

Really?! imho the new FC shots look so much better and more natural. i can't see why you would want to go back to the ROF look - some of those shots look like there is fluorescent strip lighting along the planes. Remember these aircraft are canvas and wood.

The pilot modelling artwork is looking beautiful and I'm thouroughly looking forward to seeing all those venerable icons of the first air war live again in the latest simulation engine.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the Entente airman bears an eerily striking resemblance to be Captain "Uncle" Sinclair from Aces High (played by actor Christoper Plummer). Bloody good chap! What what?

Christopher%20Plummer%20%20Aces%20High%2

• Like 1

S!

For sure will consider buying Flying Circus. Rise of Flight was and still is a good product. VR is not a selling point for me until you get decent FOV and resolution, without having to build a supercomputer. Nevertheless good to see WW 1 is not forgotten.