IAmNotARobot

Developer Diary, Part 196 - Discussion

5 minutes ago, =SqSq=Civilprotection said:

Are those? Are those outboard 30mm cannons I see on the A-8?

those would be MG 151/20s, the MK 108 protruded less from the wings

Ahh!

fantastic work guys!

So much genuine passion about what you are doing

You are such an incredible dev team!

The Po2 ❤️So much detailed, it is like a true piece of art. Yugra Media are doing such an outstanding work! I can not wait to see the Li2

Will we get a civilian/ training version ? (the gunner and bomb gun sight would be a mod)

Edited by 1./TG1_Nil

5 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

those would be MG 151/20s, the MK 108 protruded less from the wings

I thought there was a chance they might be the MK 103 in the last shot bc it's a top down.

The amount of detail and research put into all small details and the timeframe you guys are able to do it in is {Edited] awesome and really baffles me.

Btw are those panzerblitz rockets on the Fw-190 F8? :) 

Edited by Bearcat

Can I ask why Germans and Soviets get modifications that are one step off prototypes; 27 D-9 fitted with EZ-42, 5 C.202 with 20mm gunpods, 9 Il-2 with Sh-37, LaGGss with 23mm and 37mm were not exactly common either especially the combo of M105PF engine + 23mm VYa but the Western Allies get the base variants?

150 Octane is ignored when it was used on numbers of aircraft at least one magnitude higher then the most common of the examples listed above.

8AF FG based in the UK from May 1944 to the end of the war.

ADGB squadrons in the UK from May 1944 to SEP 1944

2TAF squadrons based on the continent from Jan 1945 onwards

I can understand the Mustang, Jug and Lightning not having the option as BoBP represents the tactical airwar between the 9AF, 2TAF Vs Luftwaffe. 9AF never had supply of the fuel, but the 2TAF which included 25 squadrons of LF Mk IX to be converted to 150 octane, surely 150 Octane deserves to be represented for RAF aircraft?

Edited by RoflSeal
  • Upvote 3

The Po-2 is a show-stealer.  I can't wait to put-put around in it.  I'm one preorder on day one.  

33 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_McKvack said:

Yes

6 hours ago, Thad said:

Ah, the Po-2. A slow bi-plane to easily be shot out of the sky in.

Try an intercept mission with firstly finding, seeing and recognizing one of these in a moonless night at midnight, and then shooting it down with your fighter which has stall speed higher than the max. speed of that sewing machine. Could easily be one of the hardest type of missions for the blue camp.

Edited by CrazyDuck
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_McKvack said:

The amount of detail and research put into all small details and the timeframe you guys are able to do it in is fucking awesome and really baffles me.

21 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Yes

i don't think so actually, i might be wrong but i think those are standard "air to air" R4Ms the Panzerblitz version should have a bigger head with HEAT payloadimage.jpeg.ae4d157335ea091456d99eca212801ef.jpegimage.jpeg.57be73b8ff7c90f95e412cd67647214a.jpeg

15 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Asgar said:

i don't think so actually, i might be wrong but i think those are standard "air to air" R4Ms the Panzerblitz version should have a bigger head with HEAT payloadimage.jpeg.ae4d157335ea091456d99eca212801ef.jpegimage.jpeg.57be73b8ff7c90f95e412cd67647214a.jpeg

After looking abit, looks like they are Panzerblitz I after all, they had a sleek warhead and fixed fins, the R4M had folding fins.

rpzb54-1.gif

rpzb54-2.gif

unknown.png

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Thad said:

Ah, the Po-2. A slow bi-plane to easily be shot out of the sky in

Never ever underestimate the power of the U2/po2 !

Think about that: it was used successfully during Korean war... hard to be detected, very hard  to shoot it down.

Also think that is was the "slow and outdated" Swordfish that greatly helped to destroy the Bismark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTO3JagV8gE

Edited by 1./TG1_Nil

Hi, is there any chance that an upcoming Dev diary could outline future MP improvements such as MP lobby to facilitate COOP, the long awaited Air Marshall feature, etc. I know people are very excited for new planes but it would be nice to know whether the game interface will be getting any sort of overhaul any time soon.

Well my 71 year old brain went into melt down attempting to comprehend the intricacies of the gun sight, but kudos for the devs for implementing it. That is dedication.

On the other hand I cant wait to start dogfighting with (and shooting down) 109’s and 190’s with my trusty PO-2. It will be slaughter methinks.

• Upvote 1

Great update! I love the attention to detail. It's that kind of work that sets IL-2 apart.

Also, Panzerblitz rockets. I've been hoping to give these a try for many years and finally we will be able to. Love it!

Great explanation of the gyro sight! Nice to know you guys are refining its oepration in the next patch too.

Very nice! Planes look absolutely stunning!

Ps: am i the only one who stopped getting emails when they post a new DD?

Looking at the quality of the Po2, I'm hanging to see what the revamped Rof aircraft in the Flying Circus chapter will look like. :o:

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Ps: am i the only one who stopped getting emails when they post a new DD?

I didn't receive an email notification today, either.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RoflSeal said:

Can I ask why Germans and Soviets get modifications that are one step off prototypes; 27 D-9 fitted with EZ-42, 5 C.202 with 20mm gunpods, 9 Il-2 with Sh-37, LaGGss with 23mm and 37mm were not exactly common either especially the combo of M105PF engine + 23mm VYa but the Western Allies get the base variants?

Since when is the Spitfire IX as currently modeled a base variant? Yes, I know, no high-octane fuel, but it has:

• Two different engines
  • A fancy gyro gunsight
  • Rockets (which were used by only one squadron, so so much for the idea that only certain nations are receiving rare mods)
  • Bombs

As for the other mods you mentioned - that's entirely up to the mission designer to either allow or disallow them. It's hardly the fault of developers that they decided to model weapons that were not widespread.

6 hours ago, IAmNotARobot said:

Yes, you will

Yay! Is it also going to be an option for the A-8? It was installed there as well:

EZ190.jpg

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, RoflSeal said:

Devs have pro-German bias.

• Haha 8

Whoa, what a Dev Update. I'll need a while to digest the gyro part. 🤯

On the Fw 190 .. nice. But you've fallen prey to a pretty common error concerning the Colors of "Black 10" of 2./JG 11 (WNR 380 352). I built the Airfix model of this plane last year and also came across the error that Eduard made for their Fw 190 kit's instructions and started digging. "Black 10" belonged to the WNR 380 … range and according to research ( http://fw190.hobbyvista.com/380block.htm ) all aircraft of that Werknummern Block were finished in September 1944 - before the newer RLM 81/82 became widespread. Which means the colors on that skin should be RLM 74/75. Just saying

F8 is really a great addition! Do we'll have also the cluster bomb?

Piacenza 1944, North Italy (SD bomb?)

fw-190f-8-11-bianco-jpg.295771

The attention to detail is mind boggling, thank you very much for the gun sight explanation, really appreciated, sadly it will take a while for my brain to really comprehend all that stuff.:cool:

The second aircraft is in development and will be ready this Autumn - Po-2VS Collector Plane

How long? :o::(

It looks in such a advanced state of development that I thought it might be available sooner, that said I guess the process of actually working with a third party developer brings with it all kinds of issues technical and legal, any chance the team could elaborate on those for us please?

It would be interesting to know just how you actually go about starting this kind of project.

Who actually owns the model?

How do you sponsor development during the learning phase, does each party fund their own?

How do you decide on how much each party receives of the profits if there are any, what if not?

Does 1C/777 buy the 3d model from them and then make it available in store for us as pre-order or does it just go on sale when finished?

It provides numerous questions as it is a departure from the norm and I am sure there is not just me who would be interested in the dynamic of this new development, would be a fascinating story in itself as to how it came about and what it means for the future for that particular company and others who might be involved.

I appreciate there will be certain restrictions on what can be said here in the forum but none the less it would be a interesting to know.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Great DD. Love detailed descriptions like this one about Gyro Gunsight!

4K Po-2 textures look fantastic! 

P.S. I have not received email info about DD too.

Now that's proof of research! Mind blowing the talent behind the scenes. [thumbs up]

• Upvote 1

Moreover, since Spit IX release with this gyro gunsight in update 3.003 we have improved the modeling of the influence of the tension in the gimbal suspension on the dynamics of the entire system. This peculiarity which pushes the virtual gunsight even closer to the real thing will be published in one of the coming updates.

What can i say? Great work. Keep it up.:salute:

Panzerblitz is a German anti-tank unguided aerial rocket developed during the Second World War.

The missile was based on the R4M Orkan air-to-air rocket used by the Messerschmitt Me 262. It was fitted with either an 80 mm (3.1 in)-diameter standard[clarification needed]warhead, in Panzerblitz I, or a 210 mm (8.3 in)-diameter hollow charge warhead, in the Panzerblitz III.

220px-Fw_190_A8_Unterseite_Panzerblitz.J

Fw 190 A8 Unterseite Panzerblitz

It was intended to be operated by the Henschel Hs 132, which would carry up to eight rockets, complementing or even replacing the cannon armament in the tank-destroying role. The 80mm model was tested extensively in early 1945 from Focke-Wulf Fw 190s, but neither Panzerblitz I nor Panzerblitz III (earmarked exclusively for the Hs 132) were ready for use by the German surrender in May 1945.

Do we really need the prtotype rockets?

Anyway the overall work is fantastic. :salute: 

I keep my fingers crossed for good implementation of turbocharger for P-47 which is being built now i guess :) 

Edited by sereme1

43 minutes ago, sereme1 said:

Do we really need the prtotype rockets?

Yeah?

Once again, nobody forces you to use them, and it'll be up to the mission makers to choose whether they're included or not. 

It makes sense for the Luftwaffe to get some sort of dedicated AT weaponry, so as to balance mp missions anyway. 

Edited by Quinte

49 minutes ago, sereme1 said:

The 80mm model was tested extensively in early 1945 from Focke-Wulf Fw 190s, but neither Panzerblitz I nor Panzerblitz III (earmarked exclusively for the Hs 132) were ready for use by the German surrender in May 1945.

Yes, they were tested, but wasn't redy to be reliably used in combat.

I have nothing againts them as long as they don't dissort real image of warfare when FW109's will be flying with prototype rockets instead of bombs which were used in 99% cases.

They were probably very easy to implement since there is lot of rockets already in IL2 and it took only small amount of time so developers decided to make them.

It will be just a task for mission makers to balance them, similar to Spitfire's rockets which were equally rare curio.

But if this curio would become main Luftwaffe and RAF anti armour solutions it would be a shame.

:salute:

Edited by sereme1

Is it already known, which modifications/armament options will be available for the Po-2?

• Upvote 1

Nothing has been said yet.  It really depends on what mission types come with it.  I’m hoping for the twin stretcher pods and some air ambulance gameplay though.  After twenty years playing flight sims I’d like to earn points for saving lives for a change, rather than taking them. 

• Like 2

Sorry sereme, but by March 1945 quite a number of Fw 190 ground-attack units were using Panzerblitz in the anti-tank role with more units converting (see the link I posted above). Panzerblitz rockets were anything but testbed prototypes.

• Like 1

I really tried hard to read the text about gyrosight and understand how it works, but I gave up. For own sanity I will just call it...wizardry...😁

11 hours ago, RoflSeal said:

Uhm, Soviets are not the only ones - after all you will be able to fly Mark IXs with Merlin 70s, none of which were present with the 2nd TAF in NW and they equipped like 2 Squadrons in total. And you can put gyro sights on those too. And rockets. A combination that probably never existed in real life, especially not with the 2nd TAF... but then what? Its not totally unhistorical, the elements existed here and there, even if it was far from standard.

It seems to me that everyone will get a number of rarer variants, simply because it is a cool toy to try and play with. 

Edited by VO101Kurfurst
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

I’m hoping for the twin stretcher pods and some air ambulance gameplay though.  After twenty years playing flight sims I’d like to earn points for saving lives for a change, rather than taking them. 

Good point @Feathered_IV, as usual 😉

The Junkers 52 was loved also because when wooded soldiers saw it, it meant that their struggle was almost over.

20 years of sim and the first daring change was the Junkers 52 with new exclusive game play never seen before!!

20 Years later thanks to a hard working, dedicated  daring team!

Thus my avatar...

And now we will have a tank + plane sim combined! 

I will buy everything!!!

Edited by 1./TG1_Nil
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Outstanding work.  No my brain didn’t melt down, I did read it slowly and being a predigital electronic engineering graduate, I did understand it....  Absolutely brilliant explanation.  It’s hard to distill something that technical into something understandable even if I have to rememeber my degree from 35+ years ago....

I was hoping to get to the point of a list of the outstanding questions you have about the British version over the K-14.  I can take a look around in a number of UK museums to try to assist.  I have used a gyro gunsight but only on stationary straffing targets so very little movement from axis...

P0-2 - Marvellous.  Having read “Defending the Motherland” about the female pilot regiment, I am super keen to bring some night havoc to the german lines....  Can the Flak be suitably inaccurate at night please....  Maybe it already is, I don’t really know as few servers that gives us good periods of night flying.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1