IAmNotARobot

Developer Diary, Part 196 - Discussion

Already loving the Fw 190 A-8/F-8, I really like that we will be getting the Panzerbltiz III for it.

Keep up the great work!

I see the PO-2 as a way to foresee how VR will work in "Flying Circus", too, as well as being an absolutely blast to fly.  Sometimes, less is more...

3 minutes ago, mpdugas said:

as well as being an absolutely fly to blast. 

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Quinte said:

Fixed that for you.

I guess I got too excited about the prospect, as well as a bit of a brain fart; thanks for the correction!!  I HATE getting old!

6 hours ago, 150GCT_Veltro said:

F8 is really a great addition! Do we'll have also the cluster bomb?

That's a good question. According to Luftwaffe reports the AB-250 was the preferred weapon used by Fw-190F8 equipped Schlachtgeschwader in 1944/1945.

Here's a video showing the use of the Ab-250 in October 1944:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSPm8jiWYrw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

For every 10 IX LF (66 engine) produced there was one HF IX (70 engine) produced.

Unlike the Luftwaffe, gyro gunsights were quite common in the RAF.

The OP-2.. I like that.  Great for some pre-whining about them wimmin sniper gunners.  :happy:

• Like 1

I hope, really hope, that we will have in game career for Nachthexen, those bravery women. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

Panzerblitz I was used by III./SG 4 on the Western Front from December 1944. That's why we get them.

I know I read about that in Volume 2 of Ground Attack Units of the Luftwaffe but couldn't remember exactly where. Do you happen to have a page number handy, if you have that title?

EDIT: nevermind, found it! Their 190s were fitted with rocket launchers in early November while at Rheinselen and starting using them next month.

Edited by LukeFF

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

The OP-2.. I like that.  Great for some pre-whining about them wimmin sniper gunners.  :happy:

But will they model the breastesses and how they restrict the field of fire from the rear?

Again, thank you for creating more magic Devs! :-)

Spoiler

f9-1.jpg.e642e24a91e380d2ea70fdb4e01d0a9b.jpg

Panzerblitz rockets were used extensively in combat on F-series 190s as has already been pointed out. Very pleased to see these included.

FW04.jpg.5db12a2b74f7fc6b752b0c04275ef181.jpg

FW05.jpg.f26b67b815d54b82796c0c89ed458c8a.jpg

Edited by CUJO_1970

FW190F-8 9.SG77

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190F8-9.SG77-Yellow-2-Chrudim-Czechoslovakia-1945-01.jpg.783bec254815821e87ab84e25aaeece2.jpg

For special bonus, Dora-9 could carry R4M (same as Me-262) AFAIK the wiring harness was already built into the wing on some variants. Probably comparatively rare and I obviously have no idea if they will be modeled in the sim -  just though it was an interesting side point about LW rockets.

531764202_D9R4M_3.png.af75254e4e52d3d0bb73b5c86740d9b9.png

Can't wait to be able to pre order the Po-2, when will we be able to get it?

You make an incredible job as usual and I was indeed impressed with the Gyro I had no idea so much work went into it.

1 hour ago, -[HRAF]BubiHUN said:

I hope they make the 20mm cannon for the K4 as a modification. 

I hope not. There isn't any solid proof it was ever used on this plane.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

I hope not. There isn't any solid proof it was ever used on this plane.

Nor for the Spit IX with gyro rockets and clipped wings at the same time. And look at it 😄 

4 hours ago, -[HRAF]BubiHUN said:

Nor for the Spit IX with gyro rockets and clipped wings at the same time. And look at it 😄 

Apples and oranges. We know for a fact there were Spitfires armed with rockets because of photographic evidence. It's impossible to confirm whether they also they had clipped wings and gyro sights, because the few photos of rocket-armed Spitfires just don't show it this. 

In the case of the Bf 109 K-4, there is zero evidence from pilot memoirs, cockpit photos / drawings, Messerschmitt meeting minutes, etc.,  that 20 mm nose cannons were ever installed. 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, =RS=BlackRaven said:

actually some K-4s were fitted with the MG 151/20 as the Motorkanone. look at paragraph 4 under the varient  K4 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Bf_109_variants#K-4

Yes, I've seen that page a thousand times. Still doesn't say what the source is for saying K-4s were fitted with that particular cannon. 

57 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, I've seen that page a thousand times. Still doesn't say what the source is for saying K-4s were fitted with that particular cannon. 

Actually, the article does cite a source; Prien and Rodeike 1995, page 174. Presumably this refers to Jochen Prien and Peter Rodeike’s Messerschmitt Bf 109 F, G, & K Series: An Illustrated Study - specifically the 2nd edition printing from 1995.

25 minutes ago, FFS_Cybermat47 said:

Actually, the article does cite a source; Prien and Rodeike 1995, page 174. 

I know that. 

It's a bit funny to me (and I apologise for this) that we spent pages arguing FOR the inclusion of the MK108 cannon on the Bf109G-6 and we could potentially spend more pages arguing to have it removed as an option on the Bf109K-4. I get the reasons behind both arguments ... I just find it funny. 😎

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

It's a bit funny to me (and I apologise for this) that we spent pages arguing FOR the inclusion of the MK108 cannon on the Bf109G-6 and we could potentially spend more pages arguing to have it removed as an option on the Bf109K-4. I get the reasons behind both arguments ... I just find it funny. 😎

Beg a pardon, but in case of the K4 it is the MG-151/20 motor cannon that most likely won't show up as an option. The MK-108 will definitely be there, since it was the standard for the K4.

In theory the MG-151/20 could have been installed in the K4 as well, the plane even came with the optional wiring to easily install the 20mm cannon. But so far I never saw any solid proof that the Luftwaffe actually made use of this.

Edited by Fritz_X

7 hours ago, Fritz_X said:

Beg a pardon, but in case of the K4 it is the MG-151/20 motor cannon that most likely won't show up as an option. The MK-108 will definitely be there, since it was the standard for the K4.

In theory the MG-151/20 could have been installed in the K4 as well, the plane even came with the optional wiring to easily install the 20mm cannon. But so far I never saw any solid proof that the Luftwaffe actually made use of this. 

I'm very aware of the request and the history around it. I also remember this discussion years ago from the original IL-2 as well.

Never say never, they could do it, and I'm fine with it either way... I'm just pointing out the irony.😎

12 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I'm very aware of the request and the history around it. I also remember this discussion years ago from the original IL-2 as well.

Never say never, they could do it, and I'm fine with it either way... I'm just pointing out the irony.😎

Alrighty then!

Even though I actually prefer the MG-151/20 in combination with the two 13mm MGs over the MK-108 on our current G14, I still hope they keep the 20mm cannon out of the K4, for historic accuracy's sake.

Especially if they'd offer us a G10 as a collector's plane, which definitely would have an option for both cannon types.

• Upvote 1

What can I say you guys are great, KuDos to the entire team!  I found the discussion of the gunsight remarkable, particularly given this was developed nearly 75 years ago without the help of computers.  The attention to detail in this sim is remarkable and is the main reason I’ve been playing this sim since it was introduced.  Looking forward to more planes and maps although I’m not much of a tank guy I can see how this team can change my mind..

On 7/1/2018 at 3:27 PM, Fritz_X said:

the plane even came with the optional wiring to easily install the 20mm cannon

that was the plan, but there is no proof that the wiring was there.

Has Developers said anything about G6 in Bodenplatte will it get MW50 & Gr.21 Rockets?

MW50 equals different engine and mass distribution due to water/methanol ~80 liters tank.

I really don't know what standard Bf109G-6's represented during Bodenplatte.

BTW. It's nice to see Bf109 staying competitive from the Spanish Civil War to the last strain of dying Luftwaffe during Bodenplatte and see gradual changes through the war.

3 hours ago, Godspeed said:

Has Developers said anything about G6 in Bodenplatte will it get MW50 & Gr.21 Rockets?

Sounds like what you really want is to fly the G14

7 hours ago, bies said:

I really don't know what standard Bf109G-6's represented during Bodenplatte

G-6s were out of service by the time of Bodenplatte.

On 7/1/2018 at 11:16 PM, Fritz_X said:

Alrighty then!

Even though I actually prefer the MG-151/20 in combination with the two 13mm MGs over the MK-108 on our current G14, I still hope they keep the 20mm cannon out of the K4, for historic accuracy's sake.

Especially if they'd offer us a G10 as a collector's plane, which definitely would have an option for both cannon types.

Exactly, i only hope to have a G-10 quite soon as DLC, with the Erla variant too as mod of course. It would be an amazing DLC.

K4 is fine as it is, without MG151/20.

Would be interesting if we could have also the C3 option.

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

During Bodenplatte it was flown by reconnaissance units, for example by Nahaufklärungsgruppe 1 and 13. The Bodenplatte book by Manrho and Pütz also mentions single serviceable G6s for III./JG 1 and II./JG11 in the strength reports for 31 December 1944.

It isn't relevant for BoBP, but JG 52 on the eastern front and JG 5 in Norway still flew some G6s too.

Who knows, maybe the devs can be convinced to give the Bf-109G6 some late war modifications, that already exist for the Bf-109G14.

11 hours ago, LukeFF said:

This Bodenplatte contains mutch bigger time frame than just one day. ( You know that )

G6 Model was still in use 1944 and naturally shrinking stock 1945 but still used.