II./JG77_motoadve

Vive pro ,toughts after some use.

Overall, very disappointed, cheap plastic, sound and lens in a very expensive headset.

The good.

Crispier nicer image, it is not subtle its a real difference, like wow!

Colors are more alive too , are nicer than my Rift.

Performance as good if not better than my Rift (you don't have to search for SS to make it look good).

Bad

Bulkier, heavier, harsh and a lot less comfortable than Rift

Horrid sound

Biggest turn off is the sweet spot, its horrible, you cannot move your eyes because get out of the sweet spot and its blurry, its terrible, you need to aim for the sweet spot.

To me this is the worst about the Vive Pro and its really annoying, you are aiming inside the headset to be able to be in the sweet spot.need to move your head if you wanna look at things, really for how much this headset cost its unacceptable, if I end up return it the sweet spot will be the reason, ruins the gaming experience.

Scale in Il2 BOS seems like 90% of the Rift, I felt the Rift scale was perfect. (this is not Vive's fault).

I have both the Rift and Vive Pro connected to my PC , switch over to the other is less than a minute.

When I put the Rift after the Vive Pro , feels super light, super comfortable, great sound, and relaxing playing without searching for the sweet spot inside the headset, like going back to a loyal reliable friend.

Veredict = DONT BUY IT.(even if you have the money, it will be an annoying experience)

At this time I am thinking towards returning the headset.

Yeap, 100% agree with you.

I didn´t try to have both connected to the PC and switch in one minute to the other (I was only pluggin one of them at a time). But if you have both connected, how SteamVR handle that? How do you do it?

I think the nicer resolution doesn´t compensate the other problems, for IL-2 it could be better to wait for Pimax or Rift CV2 or try WMR.

Regarding the sound, I don´t know if it was a second firmware update but I don´t feel it as bad as it was at the beginning. Now it is acceptable but inferior to Rift.

With the VivePro I think we have 15 or 30 days to return back the headset. In my case that time already expired, I didn´t have enough free time to test it and I really still don´t know what to do (selling as second hand Rift or VivePro).

I am also thinking to try the trick of using Gear VR lenses, but not sure.

Posted (edited)

@II./JG77_motoadveGiven that the Devs stated they would release a fix for the WMR headsets end of May, I ordered a Samsung Odyssey. It has the same screens inside down to the same serial numbers, but the superior lenses by Samsung, and costs less. Maybe you can still give your VivePro back, and instead get a Samsung Odyssey + enough left for a massage.

@chiliwili69Now if that has expired, I have read extensively about the different highest-res headsets available during the last week. If I understood correctly, the Gear VR lens mod turns the VivePro into a very capable device. Since HTC allegedly has the worst, almost nonexistential support of any VR headset manufacturer anyway, and you cannot give the headset back, I'd also cross my fingers for a Gear VR lens mod of yours. The description for it says it's quite easy to perform, without any potentially damaging practice involved.

If you attempt it, best of luck.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Yeah not impressed by the sound of it. I don’t know what they are playing at to be honest the ergonomics were already poor, but it looks as you say very bulky.

Bad sound is unforgivable for the price but predicatable and par for the course with HTC, though I have to say sweet spot and clarity must be a personal thing as try as I might I am unable on my vive (in game/BOS) to even determine where my sweet spot is and don’t see any blurriness unless in reading text which doesn’t bother me. 

As for performance excuse my ignorance but does a higher PD impact on performance more than the equivalent in resolution? Guess I’m not getting the differences between both.

Posted (edited)

Hmm. Never used the Oculus so I can't compare.  But I love my Vive Pro. The resolution increase and reduction of screen door effect was well worth it for me. Sweet spot? Could be better of course.  But really, the first post here surprised me because the sweet spot is not that bad. 

The sound quality on the other hand is terrible.  I removed the head phones that was mounted on it and now use a bluetooth headset instead.

Also I think the Vive Pro is very comfortable to wear! 

I had the original HTC Vive before.  Contrast, colors and black levels are also improved. 

Edited by larsauthen

Posted (edited)

lars, I believe they state this because they compare it to other headsets, in which you can just virtually see everything at every angle, like the Rift. You don't need to center your lens/view on an object, because they're sharp even at the periphery. 

And that is why people got (rightfully) mad at the VivePro, and why people do the Lensmod using GearVR.

Ok, lars' post got edited while I wrote. As a result, mine may be a bit off in regards to what his post states. No worries :)

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

3 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

lars, I believe they state this because they compare it to other headsets, in which you can just virtually see everything at every angle, like the Rift. You don't need to center your lens/view on an object, because they're sharp even at the periphery. 

And that is why people got (rightfully) mad at the VivePro, and why people do the Lensmod using GearVR.

That's understandable :)

I'm not a very technical person so I don't think I dare to do the lensmod.  

43 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Ok, lars' post got edited while I wrote. As a result, mine may be a bit off in regards to what his post states. No worries :)

From my experience of CV1 it had a better sweetspot but to call it sharp and claim "you can just virtually see everything at every angle" is a very large stretch.  I suppose you could say it maintained the same level of turgid low res muck across most of the lens ;)

I was never impressed with sharpness and IQ (horrible god rays) of CV1 and was always going back to my 32" 4K screen and just marveling at the sharpness and clarity.  For me CV1 was only barely good enough for occasional sight seeing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still not that impressed with the sharpness of my Odyssey but in comparison it is noticeably improved.  It is good enough that I use it far more  than my 4K screen for IL2.

2 hours ago, ICDP said:

From my experience of CV1 it had a better sweetspot but to call it sharp and claim "you can just virtually see everything at every angle" is a very large stretch.  I suppose you could say it maintained the same level of turgid low res muck across most of the lens ;)

I was never impressed with sharpness and IQ (horrible god rays) of CV1 and was always going back to my 32" 4K screen and just marveling at the sharpness and clarity.  For me CV1 was only barely good enough for occasional sight seeing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still not that impressed with the sharpness of my Odyssey but in comparison it is noticeably improved.  It is good enough that I use it far more  than my 4K screen for IL2.

How is the odyssey for BOS now they ironed out the wrinkles (IPD) yet?

As Sneaksie stated in the Odyssey thread, it has been confirmed as having correct IPD with the fix.  Scaling looks fine.

One thing the WMR devices do is have always on reprojection, this means for the most part FPS stays around 45.  Though in some cases at higher alt it will sit above 60 FPS.  I have no idea but it seems WMR reprojection will auto manage depending on reported FPS.  The nice thing about WMR reprojection is I see no artifacting or issues in comparisons to how it worked on my CV1.  For the most part it just works and gives a smooth experience.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ICDP said:

As Sneaksie stated in the Odyssey thread, it has been confirmed as having correct IPD with the fix.  Scaling looks fine.

One thing the WMR devices do is have always on reprojection, this means for the most part FPS stays around 45.  Though in some cases at higher alt it will sit above 60 FPS.  I have no idea but it seems WMR reprojection will auto manage depending on reported FPS.  The nice thing about WMR reprojection is I see no artifacting or issues in comparisons to how it worked on my CV1.  For the most part it just works and gives a smooth experience.

To be honest thats the great thing about vive reprojection with cockpit games as well it's smooth with no artifacts. I know alot of vive users are up in arms for ASW but personally I think valve are right and they are best looking for a better solution. Though I have seen some people on redit say always on reprojection and AOR on steam VR is nothing to do with holding 45 fps. If I get time will try to dig up the article, but certainly on the VIVE always on and ASR do not lock the headset at 45, though not sure if its the same as the odyssey. Very smooth though. Has anyone else noticed lately that using the hud no longer causes fps drops?

Edited by Wolf8312

51 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

To be honest thats the great thing about vive reprojection with cockpit games as well it's smooth with no artifacts. I know alot of vive users are up in arms for ASW but personally I think valve are right and they are best looking for a better solution. Though I have seen some people on redit say always on reprojection and AOR on steam VR is nothing to do with holding 45 fps. If I get time will try to dig up the article, but certainly on the VIVE always on and ASR do not lock the headset at 45, though not sure if its the same as the odyssey. Very smooth though. Has anyone else noticed lately that using the hud no longer causes fps drops?

ASW for the Rift works quite well in made for VR titles. Not so great in flight games, like IL-2, DCS, ED. 

For these games I disable ASW due to graphical anomalies, namely gunsight and blurriness of plane as it flies by.

I have found at least for me in the Rift, as long as I can maintain at least 45 fps or more I still get a very smooth experience without the anomalies mentioned.

I use the Oculus Tray Tool to set profiles for these games with ASW off.

The ASW options for Rift are:

• Auto enables ASW, so that it is applied automatically when needed.
  • Disabled disables ASW.
  • Force 45fps, ASW disabled causes the refresh rate to be 45hz with ASW disabled.
  • Force 45fps, ASW enabled causes the refresh rate to be 45hz with ASW enabled

On the defense of Vive pro, it runs smoother than the Rift, and no need to press shift 1 to stop AWS or nothing, just runs smooth, no hickups or nothing. And colors are much better..

26 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

On the defense of Vive pro, it runs smoother than the Rift, and no need to press shift 1 to stop AWS or nothing, just runs smooth, no hickups or nothing. And colors are much better..

I think thats a big plus to be honest. You'll probably find with more practice and use you will get used to the extra weight. I have to use my VIVE with big heavy headphones and I got used to it pretty quickly.

Extra weight you can get used to it, sound, I use my headsets, it is the tiny sweet spot what annoys me the most, you come from clarity to blurry all the time during game play, ruins immersion for sure.

Return it and get a refund, then get an Odyssey and if you hate it refund it as well.  For the price you paid for the Vive Pro you should be expecting better.  The fact they call it Pro and cheaped out on the lenses is not good enough IMHO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

Has anyone else noticed lately that using the hud no longer causes fps drops?

Also noticed that. definitely no long pause when turning HUD on and off.

4 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Extra weight you can get used to it, sound, I use my headsets, it is the tiny sweet spot what annoys me the most, you come from clarity to blurry all the time during game play, ruins immersion for sure.

I wrote about my experiences with the vive pro earlier in this thread, saying the sweet spot is not that bad. Could be better... though admitting that I couldnt compare it to the Oculus since I haven´t tried that one.

But, this... this sounds just plain wrong. You must have a faulty headset. The sweet spot is by no means "tiny" no matter what one compare it to. And it´s not "come from clarity to blurry all the time during game play". Is the Oculus sweet spot much bigger? I don´t know. Perhaps so. But the sweet spot on the Vive Pro is not tiny. I wish it was bigger, but it´s no big deal when I am gaming or flying a simulator. And it´s not ruining the immersion. The overall sharpness just improves the immersion. 

Anyway, I the Vive Pro is way too expensive. And the sound quality is bad. But the comfort is really, really good. And the clarity, resolution, black levels, contrast and colors are really good! :)

For example when lowering the head to aim at an enemy thru the gunsight , I loose the sweet spot, also enemy gets higher and I start to look for him, loose the sweet spot, llong down to the gauges , unless I move my head, looses the sweet spot.

None of this happens with the Rift.

Posted (edited)

Very good experience with the HTC VIVE PRO ! Is working like HTC VIVE but very much better more definition you see more clearly the planes where are going how roll or turn , before initially you do not realice what the were going to do , so now you are anticipated and catch them better 

Also I appreciate:

That You zoom with the head movements very much better , I think that was not posible with the other VR , and the movements are more precises it tracks much better smoothly and more meanwhile  how you see much better clearly. 

Easily  and rapidly setup and configure . Just 15 minutes .

Edited by RAY-EU

I highly recommend doing the GearVR lense swap mod to VivePro. It seems scary but in reality it's extremely easy.

Pros:

-  sweet spot is EXACTLY like Oculus. At least that's what it felt like to me after the mod.

-  IPD setting on the hmd (little physical knob on the right side) is actually useful

Cons:

-  IPD knob needs to be adjusted exactly to your inter pupilar distance

After doing a mod I can see why the HMD manufacturers are going with Fresnel lenses. They are a LOT more forgiving in regards to motion sickness as the IPD setting with fresnels is pretty loose and it works across a rather wide ipd distance without requiring any adjustments. I used VivePro for about 2 months with the original fresnel lenses and the IPD wheel didn't affect anything for me no matter the distance I was setting it on.  After doing the gearvr swap I immediately felt weird and had to adjust IPD precisely in order to reduce the vr-legs feeling. It's akin to the first 2-3 months with Oculus when I got it in 2016.

Path 3002 :

My HTC VIVE PRO has Much more desconections in multiplayer than the HTC VIVE ! . It appears the image in the screen stop the sound seems to continue the plane until you hear the crashing by this way before hear my crash I use to have to reset PC Alt Control Suprimir End , to do not be kill . This happens me also with HTC VIVE once per mouth but with HTC VIVE PRO 1h yes next hour no , so every 2 hours. May needs a specific path to fix this , do any one someone happens the same ? Let know ? Here for any explanation. To fix in the future with a patch let developers after to know I it happens everyone ? Or my be are my setups of the VIVE PRO or the PC , I have constant that my PC is in the limit now with the HTC VIVE PRO , like other years and times like ROF my PC now is making to much noise the fan and the liquid sistem is more quiet but the nvidia graphic cardsin sli  that are gtx 1080 not TI  are in the limits , the PC has 4 years and the circuits after  gettying  heat during many  years and do not run like when  were new ,  means In have to buy a more powerful new one It happened other times , I know  before I will try to buy the most important things for a PC ,  the graphics cards , new Nvidia Gtx 2080 TI if it released this summer if not waiting for next Black Friday but I not sure if it is the reason .

How by this way I do not know may be needs more powerful PC or new graphics nvidia gtx 2080 TI or need a specific patch from  Il2 by this way I will try with DCS until the release of the DCS F-18 C by 30-5-18 to see what if happens if its the same ? Meanwhile I want to score maximun points in multiplayer DED server till the end of this mouth before the release of the BF 109 G14 in Early June .

My PC right now : Not sure if will revise and correct  and edit later correctly: 

something like , 2 nvidias in sli Titan X (like more or less 2  -gtx 1080 ) , i9 5980 , 128 GBits RAM socket 2011 v3 ...

future buy Black Friday 2018 newest new generation  intel chip socket 2066 and sli nvidia gtx 2080 TI

or 2 future Titans Black II .

sure not The Sli with  2 Titans V for a price of 12.000 $ € that  would be out of budget ! . But may be would be the solution right now , before the release of the nvidia 2080 TI may be just before the Black Friday of 2018 .

Edited by RAY-EU

Patch 3003 : With the HTC VIVE PRO , very good experience funny with the Bf 109 G14 fabulous!

First  test in Multiplayer successful HTC VIVE PRO working correctly, during 4 hours continued without any problem every thing perfect . Only at end a little trouble with the sound .

Edited by RAY-EU